• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Love Is This? The Truth About Calvinism

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I read that book about 4 times through.  I believe it was one of the best books refuting the TULIP/Calvinism that I've read.  Are those videos on youtube or your website?

Linda,

These are posted on my website from youtube.  I agree this is a great reference book concerning Calvinism but isn't it a shame that such a book even needs to exist?

• Members

Who needs books & videos that exist only to deny the Scriptural beliefs of other Christians?

Who is Dave Hunt? Only a man. Does he write Scripture? Why follow him?

interesting question.
I know of one reformed church in this area who hold Calvin's institutes as almost on par with scripture.

in fact a man who was involved with them was told once by a member of that particular church that it was a pity Calvin never wrote a commentary on Revelation for then they would be able to Understand it properly.

note that I am not suggesting this attitude is common to all who hold reformed doctrine, but it certainly was the attitude of this Particular reformed church.

Calvin was just a man who wrote some books too.

• Members

interesting question.
I know of one reformed church in this area who hold Calvin's institutes as almost on par with scripture.

in fact a man who was involved with them was told once by a member of that particular church that it was a pity Calvin never wrote a commentary on Revelation for then they would be able to Understand it properly.

note that I am not suggesting this attitude is common to all who hold reformed doctrine, but it certainly was the attitude of this Particular reformed church.

I've never read the Institutes, & as they gave rise to Presbyterianism, with its infant  baptism & national religion, rather than Independency, & baptism of believers, there must be plenty there to disagree with. I don't know if the Institutes advocate harsh treatment of offenders (as was practised in Geneva) or the burning of heretics.

None of us have attempted to justify "calvinism" by quoting from him, nor linking to his videos. We just quote Scripture.

No, we do NOT follow Calvin, nor emulate him in the way he ruled Geneva. His Bible teaching is widely respected, & I presume I have benefited from others who have read his work. However, my teachers have always emphasised Scripture, not Calvin.

• Members

interesting question.

Indeed, all books written by men must only be accepted in as far as they are in agreement with Scripture.

I've not read Calvin's Institutes. Adrian Rogers, a staunch anti-Calvinist, still highly recommended The Institutes. One day I hope to read this, a lot to read, so I'll know what is and isn't there.

• Members

I've never read the Institutes, & as they gave rise to Presbyterianism, with its infant  baptism & national religion, rather than Independency, & baptism of believers, there must be plenty there to disagree with. I don't know if the Institutes advocate harsh treatment of offenders (as was practised in Geneva) or the burning of heretics.

None of us have attempted to justify "calvinism" by quoting from him, nor linking to his videos. We just quote Scripture.

No, we do NOT follow Calvin, nor emulate him in the way he ruled Geneva. His Bible teaching is widely respected, & I presume I have benefited from others who have read his work. However, my teachers have always emphasised Scripture, not Calvin.

I know exceedingly few "Calvinists" who know much about Calvin or turn to Calvin for their beliefs. Even Calvin said he first came to the beginnings of his views after reading Augustine which led him to more deeply study, especially the books by Paul, and that's how he came to his conclusions.

I'm still not read up on this much, but from what I've read, "Calvinism" was first somewhat organized in writing by Augustine, and it's only called "Calvinism" because Calvin is the first one to go into detail and write and teach extensively on the matter, which some call the "doctrine of grace", which many say was held to by at least some in the first century church and since then. I know some say they follow the Pauline teachings in the New Testament.

• Members

I know exceedingly few "Calvinists" who know much about Calvin or turn to Calvin for their beliefs. Even Calvin said he first came to the beginnings of his views after reading Augustine which led him to more deeply study, especially the books by Paul, and that's how he came to his conclusions.

I'm still not read up on this much, but from what I've read, "Calvinism" was first somewhat organized in writing by Augustine, and it's only called "Calvinism" because Calvin is the first one to go into detail and write and teach extensively on the matter, which some call the "doctrine of grace", which many say was held to by at least some in the first century church and since then. I know some say they follow the Pauline teachings in the New Testament.

John, it almost sound as if you are a closet Calvinist....

• Members

John, it almost sound as if you are a closet Calvinist....

Why is it that when someone tries to be objective and search for the truth they come under such accusations from one side or the other, and sometimes both.

No, I simply put forth in that post what I've learned as I've been trying to learn more about this matter. Does trying to discover the history of this issue make one a "Calvinist"? It's better to know the truth, as best we can, in order to be able to more accurately address the matter.

• Members

But of course Augustin was a philosophical heretic.

Yes, he held to many wrong things. Oddly enough, even many Bible preaching pastors will yet quote something from him they agree with. I don't understand the reason for this any more than I understand why some will quote something from MLK or "mother" Teresa.

• Members

Why is it that when someone tries to be objective and search for the truth they come under such accusations from one side or the other, and sometimes both.

No, I simply put forth in that post what I've learned as I've been trying to learn more about this matter. Does trying to discover the history of this issue make one a "Calvinist"? It's better to know the truth, as best we can, in order to be able to more accurately address the matter.

No John putting forth what you have learned does not make you a Calvinist, but your examples are not typical, and seem somewhat sympathetic to their erroneous doctrine.

Archived