• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Interpretation of 1 Cor. 5:9-13

• Members

that's kinda hard to do if your own husband claim to be saved but is in sin but I guess that's a separate issue.

mother has invited her daughter, because that's her daughter.. but the daughter is married to such husband. The marriage is very important and we have to treat it so. the mother can not expect her daughter not to invite her husband. The daughter have to eat with her husband. The daughter need her mother for biblical wisdom. So I do think the mother is right to invite them over.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
that's kinda hard to do if your own husband claim to be saved but is in sin but I guess that's a separate issue.

mother has invited her daughter, because that's her daughter.. but the daughter is married to such husband. The marriage is very important and we have to treat it so. the mother can not expect her daughter not to invite her husband. The daughter have to eat with her husband. The daughter need her mother for biblical wisdom. So I do think the mother is right to invite them over.

If they're married, they aren't living in fornication.

• Administrators

there are other sins that the bible mentioned.

Yes, there are. And either we obey the Bible or we don't. Any one of us can rationalize to anything we want to do. Situations don't change scripture. But you're right - nothing should be done without prayer.

• Administrators
I mean like the wife have to eat with such husband because they are married

Well, yeah - a woman doesn't have much choice in that! :lol: I think it's pretty clear, though, that these verses are talking about choosing to spend a lot of time with those who are saved who are in sin.

• Administrators
Now comparing Scripture with Scripture' date=' that is a very good point to bring up....regarding her husband...[/quote']
Again, as I said, the woman has no choice. The verses in 1 Cor that we've been discussing are obviously talking about choosing to associate with someone who is saved and living in that type of sin.

A woman who is married to a backslidden saved man is bound to him in Christ and the law...and is commanded to stay with him. She is not choosing to associate with him, even in his sin. She is bound to him. Major difference, really.

• Members

To me though, accepting an invitation to your parents house for Thanksgiving (sorry can't remember the exact relation in PastorJ's case) and ending up at the same table as a backslidden Christian is different from actually trying to have a relationship with that person.

I believe the eating is mostly Lord's Supper but also denotes a voluntary fellowship with that person.

You can go to Thanksgiving dinner with several family members and keep a limited fellowship with the wrong person yet still keep a right relationship with the other family members.

BTW I don't have any personal examples, so I'm not saying this to cover my own skin or anything LOL its just how I see it, comparing Scripture with Scripture...including the idea that you still are going to eat with a backslidden husband...I think also we are still required to be a witness to our family. In avoiding this one situation you are also pushing away perfectly good other family members.

Its a hard call really.

• Members

:amen:

And that's where some churches go wrong with shunning, in that they don't do this out of love with the hope those shunned will come to repentance and restoration in the fellowship of believers. Some tend to shun out of a "holier than thou" spirit which isn't Christlike.

Many times its our impression only that they have a "holier than thou" attitude and it is not even close to the truth.

For many times the one who is being shunned will go about telling everyone who will listen that those who are shunning them have a "holier than thou" attitude.

Saying some one has a "holier than thou" attitude is rightly judging that persons heart and motives, not looking at their fruit.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Matt 7:20 (KJV)

I've learned to be extremely careful about that.

Thoughts about the verses.
I think Christians ought to be careful who their friends are and who they hang out with, who they go in partners with, business associates, we don't have to be friend nor even best friends with people to witness to them.

And surely we don't have to go the distance as one person told me they did, go out drinking with a person to witness to them. They claimed they were being like Paul, where in fact they were not being anything like Paul.

19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

1 Cor 9:19-23 (KJV)

• Members
I wouldn't allow the sibling.

My situation is this: My BIL is living in fornication. We planned to go to my inlaws for Thanksgiving. However, with 1 Cor. 5 in mind, we have had to back out of those plans as he will be coming in for the weekend also. I was hoping I had misunderstood this passage, but nothing said so far has changed my mind. I cannot sit down to eat with a "brother" who is living in fornication, even if that brother is a family member.

Unfortunately this has caused a severe strain in family relations with my FIL and my wifes grandparents. My wife and I are in agreement on this. We asked our pastor what he thought and he gave me the same interpretation that I already have. His only difference is that most likely my BIL is not saved as his lifestyle does not show salvation. However, since he claims to be a christian, I must take him at his word and not have company with him or eat with him.

Thanks for the help.

Sad to say, sometimes our Christian walk divides family. Jesus made this very clear.

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
Matt 10:34-37 (KJV)

In my 61 years I've seen it happen many times, family members being save and cause many family problems.

One thing for sure, we do not have the freedom to do as those who are without, that is if we live by God's Word. Seems the one who is living in sin wants their family, especially if they're saved, to accept them just as they are and be all lovey dovey and have open arms for them.

How can we be comfortable around and enjoy our self those we know that are living in fornication, adultery, and such, especially if they are family.

One thing, Christ did not promise us it would be easy when we follow Him, just the opposite. I think this is an example where its difficult and divides the family.

• Members

Following Christ, truly following Christ, isn't easy. If it were, then lots of folks would jump on board. However, truly following Christ involves many sacrifices and doing and acting in ways the world can't understand or accept and that, sadly, many professing Christians refuse to understand or accept.

I can't even count the number of times I've been told by professing Christians that I shouldn't take the Bible so literally, or that some things just aren't practical, or even "what's the big deal", and those sorts of things.

What reason does a professing Christian living in one of these sins like fornication have to really consider his folly if his church and fellow Christians carry on with him as if he were not living in open rebellion to the Word of God? Sure, God will do His part in dealing with this person, but as is so often the case, God requires that we have a part in this too.

We can't expect the unsaved to understand our obeying the Word of God, which is yet a mystery to them, and we can't even expect some Christians who are not yet fully submitting to the whole Word of God to understand either. However, with or without anyone elses understanding, God leaves it to us as to whether we will submit to His Word and obey or if we will refuse to obey His commands.