• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Interpretation of 1 Cor. 5:9-13

• Members

Churches which conduct "proper" shunning do so out of love. They are not rude and mean-spirited, they simply shun the offender in certain instances but they don't refuse to be polite if they see the person at the store and they wouldn't refuse to talk with the person if they asked to talk with them.

Improper shunning, which some churches practice, amount to a less than loving, complete cut-off from the offender. There are mean looks cast towards them, avoidance at all times and occasions, a refusal to even speak to them or be polite in the slightest, etc.. That, in no way could be considered proper biblical shunning.

Those churches which shun the offender with the hopes the offender will come to see the gravity of their sin and the cost of their sin and will come to repentance and return to their fellowship.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

1Co 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

I have a question about this verse. Why call someone a brother a covetous, idolater, etc. when the bible says this:
Ephesians 5:5 For this ye know , that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Does the bible call born-again christians that way too?

• Members
I would have to agree with Kitagrl (& her husband lol) that it is speaking of the Lord's supper' date=' not just any meal. As has been stated, Jesus at with those sinners and pharissees of his day. As to the shunning, Paul says in 2 Thessalonians 3:15 Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother. If you are shunning him, you cannot admonish him. Speak, and be friendly. But you cannot be in the membership of the church with him.[/quote']

Jesus ate with sinners (unsaved people). The passage is specifically speaking about Christians.

• Members

I have a question about this verse. Why call someone a brother a covetous, idolater, etc. when the bible says this:
Ephesians 5:5 For this ye know , that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Does the bible call born-again christians that way too?

The term brother is referring to those who are saved. The phrase "called a brother" to me would mean that the individual professes to be a Christian.

I don't see how this has anything to do with the Lord's supper.

Here are the two options I see:
1. It applies only to church members. If a christian who is a member of a different church is a fornicator, we can eat with them because they are not members of our church.
2. It applies to anyone who calls themselves a brother.

• Administrators

My take on this is that it refers to anyone who claims the name of Christ. Even family members.

I have a brother who claims to have been saved when they were younger. And yet he lived in fornication. My older brother got mad at me when I told him he was being unscriptural to have my younger brother and his woman over for dinner. He said he wasn't going to ignore his brother. I didn't ignore him. I spoke with him and her on the phone (they lived on the opposite side of the country). And I told them where they were scripturally wrong, because they both claimed the name of Christ. Happily, they are married now. And guess what - I'm the one they communicate to the family through. Bragging? No - I believe it's because I applied scriptural principle from this verse with him.

I don't believe that it means you are never to talk to them. To me, that's what the term shunning connotes. I believe in church discipline. I believe that when a Christian is turned out of the church for scriptural reasons, we are wrong to spend great amounts of time with them. But I also think it's wrong to ignore them. Saying hello to them when you see them, letting them know you are praying (if you are) goes a long way to letting a backslidden brother or sister know that you love them and want them back in the fold.

• Administrators
If you knew they were going to be at a different family members home for Thanksgiving' date=' would you go?[/quote']
I wouldn't be able to and be consistent with what I believe those verses are teaching. I do have to state, though, that the decision would be my husband's. But most likely we wouldn't go.

My parents knew how I felt. In fact, several years ago, my sister and her current husband were living together. She claimed to be saved as a child. I was heading out for a visit to my parents' house - my sister lives near them. I let my mom know not to be planning a big family dinner. She didn't. I didn't see my sister much at that time. She has been married to this fellow now for 10 or 11 years. We have seen each other several times since, and our relationship is better than it ever was.

• Members
If you knew they were going to be at a different family members home for Thanksgiving' date=' would you go?[/quote']

I would. but I would never show approval their behavior. But I would treat the girlfriend as I would with any friends of a family. I mean if someone brought their friends over, and they are living in sins, you would not know about it.. why treat girlfriend any different..
Why allow a sibling to thanksgiving but not the girlfriend when they are both just as guilty.

• Members

I wouldn't allow the sibling.

My situation is this: My BIL is living in fornication. We planned to go to my inlaws for Thanksgiving. However, with 1 Cor. 5 in mind, we have had to back out of those plans as he will be coming in for the weekend also. I was hoping I had misunderstood this passage, but nothing said so far has changed my mind. I cannot sit down to eat with a "brother" who is living in fornication, even if that brother is a family member.

Unfortunately this has caused a severe strain in family relations with my FIL and my wifes grandparents. My wife and I are in agreement on this. We asked our pastor what he thought and he gave me the same interpretation that I already have. His only difference is that most likely my BIL is not saved as his lifestyle does not show salvation. However, since he claims to be a christian, I must take him at his word and not have company with him or eat with him.

Thanks for the help.

• Administrators
I wouldn't allow the sibling.

My situation is this: My BIL is living in fornication. We planned to go to my inlaws for Thanksgiving. However, with 1 Cor. 5 in mind, we have had to back out of those plans as he will be coming in for the weekend also. I was hoping I had misunderstood this passage, but nothing said so far has changed my mind. I cannot sit down to eat with a "brother" who is living in fornication, even if that brother is a family member.

Unfortunately this has caused a severe strain in family relations with my FIL and my wifes grandparents. My wife and I are in agreement on this. We asked our pastor what he thought and he gave me the same interpretation that I already have. His only difference is that most likely my BIL is not saved as his lifestyle does not show salvation. However, since he claims to be a christian, I must take him at his word and not have company with him or eat with him.

Thanks for the help.

I am sorry that you're in this situation now. It's never an easy one. My mother didn't appreciate my stand. She didn't understand, either, why I was not in favor of my sister marrying the fellow she did (he is not saved) - until about 6 months after the wedding - both of my parents then understood my objections.

It is a good thing that you and your wife agree on this. That will make it easier for your inlaws to come around...eventually. Have you explained to your inlaws why you won't be there? If so, and they are saved, the Holy Spirit will work in them...

I kind of agree with your pastor - probably your BIL is not saved. I have to wonder about my sister. But the claim has been made, and she continues to say she is saved, so that's all we have to work with.

• Members

We did explain it to both and I got the Higher and mightier speech back. The only thing they could respond with is that Jesus forgives and forgets and loves them. Very true statements except he has not repented, nor does he believe his way of life is in sin.

This would not be an issue if he were unsaved, as the passage is clearly speaking about Christians.

• Administrators
We did explain it to both and I got the Higher and mightier speech back. The only thing they could respond with is that Jesus forgives and forgets and loves them. Very true statements except he has not repented, nor does he believe his way of life is in sin.

This would not be an issue if he were unsaved, as the passage is clearly speaking about Christians.

Oh boy - my dad quoted the verses about beams and motes...and told me I needed to remove the beam in my eye. That really hurt me - here they are Christians, and my sister is living in open sin...and they said I was the one with the problem (I was as kind as I could be - not smart mouthed or anything, since I knew it was a touchy subject). As I mentioned earlier, though, they did come to see that and much more after time passed.

Just keep praying for them, and for your BIL, and they will eventually see.

• Members

I would actually assume from what the Bible says about constant and unrepentant sin being a sign of someone being unsaved, that the BIL is unsaved and therefore you would be able to go to Thanksgiving...especially as you are not being invited to his home...but someone else's home and he is but another guest.

That is just MHO.

• Administrators
I would actually assume from what the Bible says about constant and unrepentant sin being a sign of someone being unsaved, that the BIL is unsaved and therefore you would be able to go to Thanksgiving...especially as you are not being invited to his home...but someone else's home and he is but another guest.

That is just MHO.

The thing is, if the man is saved, God will chastise...and sometimes people don't see the chastisement for a while. So it could appear that someone is getting away with sin, so the assumption would be that he is lost.

The Bible doesn't say don't eat with him at just his home, as his guest...it says "with such an one, no, not to eat." It's a hard decision, but it is the right one, and God does bless obedience in this, as I have mentioned in my own experiences.