• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ccm Being Used By Temple Baptist Church Powell, Tn (Pastor Clarence Sexton)

brosmith

• Members

Jeffrey, you really need to study your King James Bible and sincerely ask the Holy Ghost to show what what music is acceptable unto the Lord.  It does matter and God did say so.

Jeffrey isn't complaining that the KJB is being used, simply pointing out that rather than saying "Jesus stated" or "Paul wrote" or "Scripture says" or "we read in the Bible", there are those who instead continually respond "the KJV says".

Ladies and Gentleman; Exhibit A

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry, but this thread didn't "evolve" into discussion of Bible versions. It's been hijacked, 

I disagree.  Anyhow, what's the big deal?  Is someone going to print these pages off and put them into some book in topical order?

Over the years I've seen this as a way to stifle and end discussions.  In this case I've fallen into the trap of continuing to apply 2 Timothy 4:2 to natural men.

• Administrators

Swath - you can disagree all you want. The big deal is a moderator said back to topic.  And so back to topic with a good attitude - which is scriptural, BTW.  You can consider it stifling a conversation all you want.  Folks interested in discussing versions are welcome to start a thread about it, as I said.  That's hardly stifling a conversation. 

Jeffery - please take your exhibits to another thread (one in which that is the topic), if you wish to continue that line of "conversing".

• Moderators

Music has always reflected the culture around it, it is something God is redeeming a people, He can redeem music also. whether rap, raggae, rock or country. Have you ever listened to it ?

This statement piqued something in my memory. Our Wednesday Bible study was on the faithfulness of God. One of the references brought us to the instructions God gave to the children of Israel when they entered Canaan. It grabbed my attention because the 'sub-title' in the Bible (added by man) read something to the effect of 'destroy the Canaanite culture'. When you read that section, you find that is exactly what they were instructed to do. They were not to intermarry with Canaanites (allowing them a chance to teach their culture to the Hebrews), and they were to destroy all their public places of worship. We already know that God wanted the Canaanite people entirely destroyed - these additional methods would ensure there was nothing 'left behind' to attract or tempt the Hebrews.

There is a catchphrase nowadays that says 'Redeem the Culture'. However, if we look at Scripture, it says nothing about redeeming culture. God redeems people. He gives them a new heart and a new mind - not adapting the old, but replacing it. In physical applications (which the OT is a great picture of - isn't that what it's for? A picture?), the world culture is always to be rejected, destroyed, put away - never adapted or redeemed. "Love not the world, neither the things thereof. For all that is in the world... is not of the Father, but is of the world."  We are not to redeem the culture for God. We are to seek people - to see them redeemed, reject the world and turn to God.

Guess I've heard that catchphrase so much, and I've never had the chance to really speak to it with the people I care for who believe it. (So you get to hear it all instead! :)) It sounds great, but it's a dangerous misconception. I was going to call it shallow, but it actually is contradictory to Scripture.

• Members

This statement piqued something in my memory. Our Wednesday Bible study was on the faithfulness of God. One of the references brought us to the instructions God gave to the children of Israel when they entered Canaan. It grabbed my attention because the 'sub-title' in the Bible (added by man) read something to the effect of 'destroy the Canaanite culture'. When you read that section, you find that is exactly what they were instructed to do. They were not to intermarry with Canaanites (allowing them a chance to teach their culture to the Hebrews), and they were to destroy all their public places of worship. We already know that God wanted the Canaanite people entirely destroyed - these additional methods would ensure there was nothing 'left behind' to attract or tempt the Hebrews.

So can you point to a command of where Christ wants us to destroy the unsaved? I know that's not what your talking about , but this is what God told the children of Israel in Joshua. That was a command to the children of Israel, not to us. I think you can over-spiritualize  some of these OT narratives and say "God told the Jews to do this so in NT church it's likened to this". rather than look at the big picture of the book and say "See how God won the victory for the Jews and after everything they saw God do, the still went ahead and sinned against Him"

There is a catchphrase nowadays that says 'Redeem the Culture'. However, if we look at Scripture, it says nothing about redeeming culture. God redeems people.

I see where you are going with this, and I kinda agree with you, but the main cog in culture is people, hence you change people, you change culture.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Maybe I just missed it, but I didn't notice the rock beat from the video. I didn't have my speakers very loud either so maybe I couldn't hear it.

Thank you for the information. I've never heard of Legacy Five before now. I do know of some Southern Gospel groups of the modern sort which use heavy beats and often loud music. We were given a free DVD sample which at the time I thought was of Gospel Quartets but turned out to be of modern Southern Gospel groups, and while the singing was mostly good, most of the songs had heavy, rockin' type music with them, and in some scenes where you could see a drummer or electric guitar player, they had long, unkempt hair and they were moving and making faces as if they were in a rock band. Not a DVD we'll prOBably ever watch again. In fact, it will prOBably end up in the trash.

Most of your Southern Gospel groups use that love ballad soft rock beat, and they use heavy ragtime piano rhythm.

Many people don't realize that a lot of our songs, even what we would consider god quartet music is tainted with the Rhythms of Jazz,Ragtime, and other worldly genres from the early 1900s..

Most Baptists think just because it doesn't have a drum set in it that it's ok, but if you substituted a drum set for the left hand of the piano in many of our songs you'd realize it's the same rhythm and has the same effects on the body.

• Members

Most of your Southern Gospel groups use that love ballad soft rock beat, and they use heavy ragtime piano rhythm.

Many people don't realize that a lot of our songs, even what we would consider god quartet music is tainted with the Rhythms of Jazz,Ragtime, and other worldly genres from the early 1900s..

Most Baptists think just because it doesn't have a drum set in it that it's ok, but if you substituted a drum set for the left hand of the piano in many of our songs you'd realize it's the same rhythm and has the same effects on the body.

a piano is a percussion instrument...it plays the rhythm in Ragtime.

Anishinaabe

• Members

I believe the piano is considered a stringed instrument rather than a percussion instrument.  It's true that small "hammers" hit the strings, but it's the strings that produce the sound.

• Moderators

Prophet's right... the prophet is indeed a percussion instrument, because the strings are struck. The harpsichord of the Baroque era was considered a stringed instrument, because the strings were plucked, and the organ is a wind instrument - even though all three have keyboards and look similar to each other! The existence of strings is not as important musically as how they are played.

• Members

I found this article interesting about the piano:

The Piano Page - Piano Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q: Is the piano a string instrument or a percussion instrument?

A: The piano is really a "hybrid"--a combination of two types. It's a string instrument because the musical tones originate in the strings; and it's also a percussion instrument, because the strings are set into vibration by being struck with hammers. To be historically correct, it's classified as a "keyed zither" by musicologists.

I was raised in a musically orientated home....my little sister is a professional concert violinist, and has been a tenured music professor at the University of Portland in Portland, OR since the 1980s. Both my brother and I took piano lessons all during Jr. High and High School.  I was always told that the piano was a stringed instrument.  Our family attended the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra concerts at Severance Hall every Saturday evening.

• Moderators

And I took piano practical, history and theories for 12 years through the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto (which sets the bar for musical education in Canada). Lol. Qualification war, much? :wink Anyways, their history and theory books teach that the piano is considered a percussion instrument.  Mayhap the piano has never been authoritatively classified and they just don't want to admit it to us. :wink

Archived