• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ccm Being Used By Temple Baptist Church Powell, Tn (Pastor Clarence Sexton)

brosmith

• Members

why do we have so many?   Variety???  :-)  There are over 300 complete or partial Bibles in English out there-why? Do we really need a Green Bible and a Men's Bible and a Women's Bible and an African-american Bible and a youth Bible and a magazine-style Bible for girls, a Queen James Bible, a NIV, NKJV, NLT, NASB, LB, The Word, ASV, the message, the Berkley Bible, ad nauseum? Honestly, what is the point?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's not surprising.  Pride is often our worst enemy.

As for Gipp, YES, I'd like to see those videos you mentioned.

here is where he makes the Russian observation around the 2:00 mark

Here, again at the 2:00 mark he says no Bible before 1611, and sidesteps the question many times and at the 4:10 mark claims that the 1611 version was used by God more than any translation

• Members

And I ask again as I have before, if all we need is a modern English version, why do we have so many? ...Honestly, what is the point?

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." - 1 Timothy 6:10

here is where he makes the Russian observation around the 2:00 mark

Here, again at the 2:00 mark he says no Bible before 1611, and sidesteps the question many times and at the 4:10 mark claims that the 1611 version was used by God more than any translation

Thank you so much for posting these Jeffrey.  I agree with Gipp on every point.  How many languages were there in 90 AD?  How many languages were the books of the bible written in then?  One for each Testament.  Then the Lord had them put together into the English language since 1611.

That's right, there was no perfect bible before 1611.  However, New Testament Churches throughout Europe did have most of the books of the bible, the Hebrew Masoretic and Greek NT books, usually only missing one or two at most.

I don't believe Gipp was avoiding the guy, he says that all the time, he was answering all the other questions fired off at him.  Wallace didn't wait for an answer, he kept asking more questions, even the original.  

I would also agree that the King James has been used by God more than any other, it's the only PERFECT bible Jeffrey!  

Which of the modern versions do you read every day Jeffrey?

Thanks again for posting these videos, they're old but great!  Wish I would have seen these years earlier; they would have saved me many wasted years of the NIV and rock-n-roll churches.

• Members

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." - 1 Timothy 6:10

Thank you so much for posting these Jeffrey.  I agree with Gipp on every point.  How many languages were there in 90 AD?  How many languages were the books of the bible written in then?  One for each Testament.  Then the Lord had them put together into the English language since 1611.

That's right, there was no perfect bible before 1611.  However, New Testament Churches throughout Europe did have most of the books of the bible, the Hebrew Masoretic and Greek NT books, usually only missing one or two at most.

I don't believe Gipp was avoiding the guy, he says that all the time, he was answering all the other questions fired off at him.  Wallace didn't wait for an answer, he kept asking more questions, even the original.  

I would also agree that the King James has been used by God more than any other, it's the only PERFECT bible Jeffrey!  

Which of the modern versions do you read every day Jeffrey?

Thanks again for posting these videos, they're old but great!  Wish I would have seen these years earlier; they would have saved me many wasted years of the NIV and rock-n-roll churches.

If you agree with Gipp, then you are in bad company, and you are guilty of Biblioatry. then if you believe Gipp on Psalm 12, Then you say God is a liar that he didn't preserve His word for 1611 years, or didn't leave His church with His perfect word for 1611 years. Then your whole KJVO goes out the window

Do you believe the KJV corrects the Greek and Hebrew?

I own a KJV, ESV, NIV and NLT and with technology i'll try another translation on my Bible app. I have recently have found the Holman Christian Standard Bible to be one I like.

• Members

As Mike has brought up, why would one want to use several MVs when they don't agree with one another? If each version actually said the exact same thing using slightly different wording that would be one thing, but in many areas the differing versions simply don't agree and sometimes even contradict one another.

If even one of the MVs were so much better, so much closer to the "original", so much more accurate, as the MV producers claim, then why the constant claim "newer and better" versions are needed? Other than for the sake of money, promoting an agenda and outright changing the Bible there is no need for these scores of versions and of versions constantly being updated.

If a person believes the KJB is flawed, yet used mightily of God for 400 years, then where is the MV that is the perfect Word of God? Surely, if what we have today is so much better then at least one of the exceedingly many MVs should stand out as the right one. Which one is it?

• Moderators

And that's just it: if they all indeed say the same thing, pick one-why the need for so many? Simply, because if one doesn't say what you want, you have hundreds more to use to make the Bible say what you want. I taught a lesson once from Rick Warren's Purpose-Driven Church, a lesson as to why it wasn't a good book for Christians to follow, and one of the reason is its multiplicity f Bibles used, clearly for the express reason that they co0uld make the points they wantesd by finding a version that said what they wanted.

See, if you hold to one Bible, there is a great danger that it may disagree with you. But with enough, there has got to be one or two that will say something in a way that will help you make your point beter than the others. Ultimately it has nothing to do with one better than another, but forcing the Bible to make your points. Otherwise, pick the best, the one you believe to be the best translation, and use it. 

• Members

And that's just it: if they all indeed say the same thing, pick one-why the need for so many? Simply, because if one doesn't say what you want, you have hundreds more to use to make the Bible say what you want. I taught a lesson once from Rick Warren's Purpose-Driven Church, a lesson as to why it wasn't a good book for Christians to follow, and one of the reason is its multiplicity f Bibles used, clearly for the express reason that they co0uld make the points they wantesd by finding a version that said what they wanted.

See, if you hold to one Bible, there is a great danger that it may disagree with you. But with enough, there has got to be one or two that will say something in a way that will help you make your point beter than the others. Ultimately it has nothing to do with one better than another, but forcing the Bible to make your points. Otherwise, pick the best, the one you believe to be the best translation, and use it.

Kinda like Burger King christiantity, have it your way, pick and choose which version/scriptures to follow.

All too many people dislike the KJB/AV because it cuts to the heart. Many would rather refer to one of the many corrupt versions to find which one fits his/her lifestyle and/or pet sins.

• Members

Who's saying pick and choose? Those are claims you guys are making, do you guys agree with Divers assessment of Gipp? Can you show me doctrinal changes between the KJV and other translations?

No they can't Jeffrey.  I've asked that in other threads and those questions get ignored when blinders are on.

• Members

Do you think people who read KJVO don't pick and choose scriptures to say what they want when they take it out of context? Don't blame it on the version.  Blame it on lack of discernment.

• Members

Taking verses out of context is another problem.

The problem of looking through a dozen MVs to find one that has a particular verse or passage worded in a way you can use it to support your preconceived notion is something else. So, while you look at the book of "Jake", verse 7:7, you decide the way it's worded in the KJB doesn't support your already determined position so you look in the ESV, NASB, NIV (three different versions of this), NLT, Amplified, The Message, etc., until finally you come across "Jake 7:7" rendered in such a way you can use it to support your agenda.

This is why some sermons and books are put together using 6, 10, 12 or more versions, all for the sake of being able to force the Bible to appear to support whatever it is the preacher/author is wanting to promote.

This sort of thing leads us right back to the matter of which Bible is the true Word of God. Since these MVs are in disagreement how is one to argue the preacher is wrong for quoting "Jake 7:7" from the "MMT" even though other versions clearly don't support his position?

Either there is a Bible that is actually the Word of God, or we have scores of versions that are not and therefore we have no reliable Bible to go by.

Did God preserve His Word for us or are we left to sift through inaccurate versions guessing at what is or isn't right and choosing for ourselves what we will hold to and what we will reject?

Archived