• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Presenting The Gospel

• Members

The Bible says that baptism is walking in a new life too, does that mean we need to preach baptism while soul winning?

Col 2:12  "Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead."

Rom 6:4  Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Baptism follows repentance unto salvation. We see from Scripture that as soon as one was born again it was evident and they were baptized immediately. Baptism is meaningless unless one has first died to sin (repented) and been born again (raised from the dead), which is why baptism follows as an outward sign and testimony to what has already taken place in the believer.

• Members

When Jesus spoke with Nicodemus about being born again, that incorporates repentance. One must forsake the old life and take on the new life. One can't take on the new life while clinging to the old life.

The jailer exhibited repentance by his actions.

The word "Gospel" simply means "good news", and all that Jesus did is good news indeed. What examples are given of calling men to God? They involve repentance, as I cited a few of the verses in another post.  

The Holy Ghost can't seal and indwell someone that is still in their sin. One must recognize the fact they are a sinner, condemned already in the eyes of God for their rebellion against Him. One must then choose to repent and be born again or remain in their sin and continue in their sin nature.

It's the idea that one can be saved without repentance, that one can be a new creature while still being the old creature, that all one has to do is say a "sinners prayer" or say "I believe" without any conviction, that has led to a plethora of false converts all around us.

This is why when we read the sermons of old time Baptists they are filled with "fire and brimstone", and this is why the world and liberal churches all denounce such preaching today. This is especially a problem here in America where most want to have things their way. They want to feel they are good with God, but they don't want to do what God says so they are quick to latch onto a way to think they are good with God, whether it be "salvation" through nothing more than saying a prayer or it be through saying hail marys and confessing to a priest or finding some religion that fits their life already.

Jesus and the Apostles called men to repentance and a new life in Christ. Old time Baptists preached the same message, as do some still today.

Salvation through nothing more than saying a prayer?  Why would they pray if they did not want eternal life?  Praying is not a natural thing, not real prayer.  There would likely be some supernatural work in it if a man or women will be willing to accept Christ.  This idea of (easy prayerism" or whatever you call it has corrupted the furtherance of the Gospel in a big way, even on a fundamental board as online baptist.  That's really what it's about, isn't it?  How can we read the mind of the person praying?  How do we know if he/she is sincere or not?  Because we don't know, we have to invent terms and attack doctrines that have been effective for many years.  How much did you know about repentance when YOU were saved?  I only know that I did not want to spend eternity burning in hell; after that, I learned important doctrines. 

• Members

Stupid argument over apparent semantics from where I sit. Go find something productive to do.......

What are you referring to?

The proper presentation of the Gospel is very important. There is a very big difference between one who understands their sinful condition and need to be saved from such, and one who doesn't recognize their sinful condition but likes the idea of being right with God through repeating a simple prayer which costs them nothing.

When I first heard preaching on my sinfulness in the eyes of God I was cut to the quick as for the first time I recognized the sinful, lost wretch I was. While I couldn't have gave a definition of repentance to anyone (and such isn't necessary) I knew immediately I had to turn from sin and be born again in Christ (that's repentance unto salvation).

This is why those who make sure the lost discover they are lost sinners in need of salvation can readily see the many they have helped to lead to the Lord. At the same time, those who neglect to make sure of this and simply push for the lost to say a simple "sinners prayer" either never see them again or see them yet walking in their sins.

• Members

The argument, not the subject, my friend.

Thank you for clarifying.

I don't think we are arguing, at least I have no intent of arguing, but we are discussing the matter.

If the discussion were to become an argument I would be in agreement with you that such is unproductive.

Along these lines, it really grieves my heart to see so many "false converts" who believe they are good with God because someone convinced them being baptized would get them into heaven, or because someone told them if they just repeated a "sinners prayer" they would be heaven bound, or because they repeated a prayer with a TV preacher or they joined a church. These folks now feel secure in their final destination and are hardened to the truth.

At the same time I cringe when I hear a street preacher or "soul winner" who is using the Word of God as a bludgeon against the lost. They typically speak loud, sometimes yelling, appear angry and often do a lot of pointing at the lost as they denounce them as wicked sinners and tell them they are going to hell because they are drinking a beer, smoking a cigarette, cussing or whatever other obvious sin they are exhibiting. These sorts tend to create an atmosphere of antagonism which drives the lost away, hardening their hearts.

It's so important we help the lost to recognize their own sinfulness and need of salvation and then to present the way of salvation clearly, all done in love and kindness, with the hope they will allow the Holy Ghost to work in their heart to bring them to Christ.

What a dreadful thought that I may have said or done something that would harden a lost souls heart.

• Members

So you know the people on this board are not involved in carrying out the great commission? How do you know what all of us are doing? Why don't you believe what many of us have posted regarding our involvement in such?

Proverbs 27:19 As in water face answereth to face, so the heart of man to man.

Proverbs 21:2 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts.

1 Samuel 16:7   …for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

• Members

Proverbs 27:19 As in water face answereth to face, so the heart of man to man.

Proverbs 21:2 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts.

1 Samuel 16:7   …for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

I didn't ask what the Lord knows, He knows all. You disparaged the members of OB by your assertion that we are not involved in spreading the Gospel and making disciples. Why would you do that?

• Members

So you know the people on this board are not involved in carrying out the great commission? How do you know what all of us are doing? Why don't you believe what many of us have posted regarding our involvement in such?

Actually, I've been told several times here that those of us who hold to a Reformed understanding of the Gospel don't believe in evangelism or the Great Commission. So you get no sympathy from me.

Edited by Auburn88

• Members

Thank you for clarifying.

I don't think we are arguing, at least I have no intent of arguing, but we are discussing the matter.

If the discussion were to become an argument I would be in agreement with you that such is unproductive.

Along these lines, it really grieves my heart to see so many "false converts" who believe they are good with God because someone convinced them being baptized would get them into heaven, or because someone told them if they just repeated a "sinners prayer" they would be heaven bound, or because they repeated a prayer with a TV preacher or they joined a church. These folks now feel secure in their final destination and are hardened to the truth.

At the same time I cringe when I hear a street preacher or "soul winner" who is using the Word of God as a bludgeon against the lost. They typically speak loud, sometimes yelling, appear angry and often do a lot of pointing at the lost as they denounce them as wicked sinners and tell them they are going to hell because they are drinking a beer, smoking a cigarette, cussing or whatever other obvious sin they are exhibiting. These sorts tend to create an atmosphere of antagonism which drives the lost away, hardening their hearts.

It's so important we help the lost to recognize their own sinfulness and need of salvation and then to present the way of salvation clearly, all done in love and kindness, with the hope they will allow the Holy Ghost to work in their heart to bring them to Christ.

What a dreadful thought that I may have said or done something that would harden a lost souls heart.

Did it ever occur to you that the reason we speak loudly is that we're trying to communicate with a large group of people and must speak so that they can hear us over traffic, radios, and other city noises?

Oh, wait. I forgot. We Calvinists don't evangelize.

Edited by Auburn88

• Members

I am reminded of a story of a man in the Bible, who came out of the wilderness, clothed in camel hair and preaching, "Repent ye, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" and, "O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?"

Examining these proclamations from John the Baptist, I don't believe he was speaking in a still, small voice. Rather, it he statements seem to imply that he was shouting these words to the lost.

I see nothing wrong with street preachers, or even pulpit preachers for that matter, shouting if the need arises.

• Members

Actually, I've been told several times here that those of us who hold to a Reformed understanding of the Gospel don't believe in evangelism or the Great Commission. So you get no sympathy from me.

If you would stop lumping everyone here together it might help. If you were familiar with my postings at all you would have noticed that every "Calvinist" I know of is involved in evangelism, the fast growing church in the area, due to soul winning, is a "Calvinist" Baptist church, and "Calvinists" such as Spurgeon, Whitefield and Edwards have helped many come to Christ and continue to do so.

If a person has a problem with "Calvinism" that's fine but there is no point in making untrue statements.

• Members

I am reminded of a story of a man in the Bible, who came out of the wilderness, clothed in camel hair and preaching, "Repent ye, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" and, "O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?"

Examining these proclamations from John the Baptist, I don't believe he was speaking in a still, small voice. Rather, it he statements seem to imply that he was shouting these words to the lost.

I see nothing wrong with street preachers, or even pulpit preachers for that matter, shouting if the need arises.

I have no problem with needful loud preaching, what I'm against is the yelling as if one is about strike someone dead.