Online Baptist

Presenting The Gospel

Rate this topic

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

The argument, not the subject, my friend.

Thank you for clarifying.

I don't think we are arguing, at least I have no intent of arguing, but we are discussing the matter.

If the discussion were to become an argument I would be in agreement with you that such is unproductive.

Along these lines, it really grieves my heart to see so many "false converts" who believe they are good with God because someone convinced them being baptized would get them into heaven, or because someone told them if they just repeated a "sinners prayer" they would be heaven bound, or because they repeated a prayer with a TV preacher or they joined a church. These folks now feel secure in their final destination and are hardened to the truth.

At the same time I cringe when I hear a street preacher or "soul winner" who is using the Word of God as a bludgeon against the lost. They typically speak loud, sometimes yelling, appear angry and often do a lot of pointing at the lost as they denounce them as wicked sinners and tell them they are going to hell because they are drinking a beer, smoking a cigarette, cussing or whatever other obvious sin they are exhibiting. These sorts tend to create an atmosphere of antagonism which drives the lost away, hardening their hearts.

It's so important we help the lost to recognize their own sinfulness and need of salvation and then to present the way of salvation clearly, all done in love and kindness, with the hope they will allow the Holy Ghost to work in their heart to bring them to Christ.

What a dreadful thought that I may have said or done something that would harden a lost souls heart.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mark 1:14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, 15And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye,

Repentance is the changing of our heart to be in agreement with God...agreement that we are sinners in need of a Saviour, that we are forsaking our sins as we accept Christ.   This doesn't mean one

Define "Gospel".     A clear presentation of the Gospel is important, it ought to contain several important facts; 1.  The subject should know that “all people are lost” (Rom. 3:10; 3:23)     Thi

Posted Images

So you know the people on this board are not involved in carrying out the great commission? How do you know what all of us are doing? Why don't you believe what many of us have posted regarding our involvement in such?

Proverbs 27:19 As in water face answereth to face, so the heart of man to man.

Proverbs 21:2 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts.

1 Samuel 16:7   …for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

Proverbs 27:19 As in water face answereth to face, so the heart of man to man.

Proverbs 21:2 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts.

1 Samuel 16:7   …for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

I didn't ask what the Lord knows, He knows all. You disparaged the members of OB by your assertion that we are not involved in spreading the Gospel and making disciples. Why would you do that?

So you know the people on this board are not involved in carrying out the great commission? How do you know what all of us are doing? Why don't you believe what many of us have posted regarding our involvement in such?

Actually, I've been told several times here that those of us who hold to a Reformed understanding of the Gospel don't believe in evangelism or the Great Commission. So you get no sympathy from me.

Edited by Auburn88

Thank you for clarifying.

I don't think we are arguing, at least I have no intent of arguing, but we are discussing the matter.

If the discussion were to become an argument I would be in agreement with you that such is unproductive.

Along these lines, it really grieves my heart to see so many "false converts" who believe they are good with God because someone convinced them being baptized would get them into heaven, or because someone told them if they just repeated a "sinners prayer" they would be heaven bound, or because they repeated a prayer with a TV preacher or they joined a church. These folks now feel secure in their final destination and are hardened to the truth.

At the same time I cringe when I hear a street preacher or "soul winner" who is using the Word of God as a bludgeon against the lost. They typically speak loud, sometimes yelling, appear angry and often do a lot of pointing at the lost as they denounce them as wicked sinners and tell them they are going to hell because they are drinking a beer, smoking a cigarette, cussing or whatever other obvious sin they are exhibiting. These sorts tend to create an atmosphere of antagonism which drives the lost away, hardening their hearts.

It's so important we help the lost to recognize their own sinfulness and need of salvation and then to present the way of salvation clearly, all done in love and kindness, with the hope they will allow the Holy Ghost to work in their heart to bring them to Christ.

What a dreadful thought that I may have said or done something that would harden a lost souls heart.

Did it ever occur to you that the reason we speak loudly is that we're trying to communicate with a large group of people and must speak so that they can hear us over traffic, radios, and other city noises?

Oh, wait. I forgot. We Calvinists don't evangelize.

Edited by Auburn88
  • Members

I am reminded of a story of a man in the Bible, who came out of the wilderness, clothed in camel hair and preaching, "Repent ye, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" and, "O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?"

Examining these proclamations from John the Baptist, I don't believe he was speaking in a still, small voice. Rather, it he statements seem to imply that he was shouting these words to the lost.

I see nothing wrong with street preachers, or even pulpit preachers for that matter, shouting if the need arises.

Actually, I've been told several times here that those of us who hold to a Reformed understanding of the Gospel don't believe in evangelism or the Great Commission. So you get no sympathy from me.

If you would stop lumping everyone here together it might help. If you were familiar with my postings at all you would have noticed that every "Calvinist" I know of is involved in evangelism, the fast growing church in the area, due to soul winning, is a "Calvinist" Baptist church, and "Calvinists" such as Spurgeon, Whitefield and Edwards have helped many come to Christ and continue to do so.

If a person has a problem with "Calvinism" that's fine but there is no point in making untrue statements.

I am reminded of a story of a man in the Bible, who came out of the wilderness, clothed in camel hair and preaching, "Repent ye, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" and, "O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?"

Examining these proclamations from John the Baptist, I don't believe he was speaking in a still, small voice. Rather, it he statements seem to imply that he was shouting these words to the lost.

I see nothing wrong with street preachers, or even pulpit preachers for that matter, shouting if the need arises.

I have no problem with needful loud preaching, what I'm against is the yelling as if one is about strike someone dead.

I didn't ask what the Lord knows, He knows all. You disparaged the members of OB by your assertion that we are not involved in spreading the Gospel and making disciples. Why would you do that?

No I didn't disparage and certainly not all; maybe some are convicted. I did exhort and encourage any who are not going out as Jesus commanded. I hope you're not taking offense to good doctrine and reproof.

No I didn't disparage and certainly not all; maybe some are convicted. I did exhort and encourage any who are not going out as Jesus commanded. I hope you're not taking offense to good doctrine and reproof.

Accusing folks of not doing what they have clearly stated they are doing in various posts has nothing to do with good doctrine or reproof. As far as I can recall only one brother here has said anything about lacking in spreading the Gospel and they admitted their weakness in that area and the need for help. Most of the rest of us here, probably all of us who are regular posters, are on record as to being involved in spreading the Gospel.

Your postings of late seem to be rather abrasive. I understand you are under a lot of pressure with all you and your family have been and still are dealing with. If there is any help I can offer or any further prayer needs, don't hesitate to say so. You, your wife and family are still on my daily fervent prayer list.

Most of you don´t know what repentance is.

God bless,

calvary

Please enlighten us, brother. 

A good verse to explain repentance.

Rev. 2:5-  Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Edited by ASongOfDegrees

Accusing folks of not doing what they have clearly stated they are doing in various posts has nothing to do with good doctrine or reproof. As far as I can recall only one brother here has said anything about lacking in spreading the Gospel and they admitted their weakness in that area and the need for help. Most of the rest of us here, probably all of us who are regular posters, are on record as to being involved in spreading the Gospel.

Your postings of late seem to be rather abrasive. I understand you are under a lot of pressure with all you and your family have been and still are dealing with. If there is any help I can offer or any further prayer needs, don't hesitate to say so. You, your wife and family are still on my daily fervent prayer list.

Only those who feel convicted need voice any concern. Family matters aren't influencing my posts.

Only those who feel convicted need voice any concern. Family matters aren't influencing my posts.

I'm sorry you feel the need to accuse the brethren here, which looking back at these posts is exactly what you have done. My concern is over false accusations leveled at the brethren.

Since you are obviously uninterested in edifying discussion it seems there is nothing further to discuss here. Good day to you brother.

An example of repentence.........

Luke 18:13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. 14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Edited by heartstrings

Balaam repented of his sins, died and went to hell. He said, I have sinned. (Numbers 22:34). Saul said, I have sinned, was rejected and went to hell. (1 Samuel 15:24). Judas Iscariot said I have sinned and went straight to a bottomless pit. (Acts 1:20) Pharaoh said, I have sinned, he repented and died and went to hell. (Exodus 9:27).

So repentance... is it a changed attitude or a change of heart and if it is, will it get me to heaven? Didn´t seem to work for these characters listed above.

@ SoD, brother, I cannot usurp the role of the Holy Spirit.  :-)

So, many teach that repentance is a turning from sin unto... Jesus. But Biblical speaking, we can turn from all kinds of stuff a never get saved. Repentance alone not mixed with faith is of no value.

I am not so sure we ought to teach repentance as a stand alone doctrine. It is actually one of the doctrines of Soteriology. It is a part of a group of teachings that together stand upon one another, not alone or independent of one another.

God bless,

calvary

• Members

The "repentance" that matters is a turning from sin. 

Ezekiel records that one should "repent and turn from sin"  The words "repent" and "turn" are the same Hebrew word, "shuwb".  So repentance does indeed mean "to turn."  But to turn from what?  To turn from sin, from wickedness, from iniquity.

In Revelation, we read that God gave Jezebel space to repent of her wicked deeds... but she would not repent.

She wasn't told to change her mind about who God is or was... she was told to turn from her sin. 

Repentance involves the turning from sin, else one has not repented properly.

Repentance also must involve faith in Christ.  One can stop a certain sin, but if the evil spirit returns to an empty house, it will return.  Then the repentance was for naught.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ
  • 4 months later...

Okay, who or what is a "Finneyist" and I've never said I'm okay with anyone making untrue statements. Again, if you bothered to learn some about individuals here you would understand more.

And which, "individual" would that be? One of the individuals who treats me like garbage because I affirm Reformed theology? One of the individuals who treats me like garbage because I like rock music?

And which, "individual" would that be? One of the individuals who treats me like garbage because I affirm Reformed theology? One of the individuals who treats me like garbage because I like rock music?

See, you've obviously learned something about at least two people here! :clapping: Yet there are many more here with varying beliefs, viewpoints, willingness to discuss, etc.

I'm not going to treat someone like garbage because of Reformed theology or rock music, or any other matter; that's not in keeping with Scripture.

Simply stated, don't assume the thoughts or intents of everyone here, let their words/actions speak for themselves, and realize that everyone here isn't a preprogrammed cyborg, we are individuals.

Sorry about that.

So am I. I gave up any hope of fellowship long ago. Now, I just post here to kill time between vendors.

I extended a hand of friendship when I first came here and you guys pretended to accept it for a while. Then, I made the mistake of revealing myself as one of those big, bad, evil monergists.

I gave up on fellowship long ago. Now I just post to threads as they interest me to kill time waiting for vendors.

Edited by Auburn88

Sometimes beginning with a combative spirit tends to lead to no real good discussions.  Perhaps if you were less combative you wouldn't feel like people treat you like garbage.

Yeah, that must be it. I must have just been combative when I admitted that I hold to Reformed theology. That must be what made you act this way!

Thanks for clearing that up.

Is that also why one of your fellows followed me to BaptistBoard to not only attack me, but to go after my wife and family?

Incidentally, if I was being as combative as you now claim (and, remember, you're the same person who kept trying to goad me into an argument, even after I told you two times that I felt I had made my point and was finished), then why did I keep getting messages saying that people liked my posts?

Edited by Auburn88

Conducting ourselves in love is something we Baptists sometimes lack. We fail to show patience and charity towards those who hold to other beliefs and all too often if we can't quickly silence one we disagree with we slam the door on them. These are sins we too willingly ignore or even refuse to acknowledge.

• Lady Administrators

Yeah, that must be it. I must have just been combative when I admitted that I hold to Reformed theology. That must be what made you act this way!  Me? I have never said anything negative to you about your reformed theology.  Never.  Am I right in assuming that by "you" you mean the board in toto?

Thanks for clearing that up. You're welcome.  :biggrin:  (That was said jokingly because I know you were being sarcastic)

Is that also why one of your fellows followed me to BaptistBoard to not only attack me, but to go after my wife and family?  Well, the Admin and moderators have no authority over anyone beyond this forum, but I will say that if someone from here does something like that, it is sin on their part.  

Incidentally, if I was being as combative as you now claim (and, remember, you're the same person who kept trying to goad me into an argument, even after I told you two times that I felt I had made my point and was finished), then why did I keep getting messages saying that people liked my posts?  I wasn't trying to goad you into anything. If you had just ceded to my request and not begun arguing, there would have been nothing more said.  But you had to keep on...and I didn't twist your arm to do that. Read it back over, and it will certainly seem combative - kind of thumbing the electronic nose at a moderator.  I have no idea why you kept getting messages that people liked your post. It's interesting that you received messages that people liked your posts, and yet none are "liked" publicly.  

Look, Auburn, I'm sorry that you've had bad experiences. I really am.  It is wrong to treat each other in a hateful manner. 

Look, Auburn, I'm sorry that you've had bad experiences. I really am.  It is wrong to treat each other in a hateful manner. 

Then stop.

I wasn't trying to goad you into anything. If you had just ceded to my request and not begun arguing

Actually, I told you twice that I felt I made my point and was finished. You insisted on bringing it up again.

It's interesting that you received messages that people liked your posts, and yet none are "liked" publicly.  

Well, keep in mind that I hadn't yet revealed myself as Satan Incarnate (aka a Calvinist).

Incidentally, I've recently started posting on CARM. Funny, but the Finneyists are the only ones there who are rude and obnoxious (and the atheists, of course, but they're that way with everybody). So it's not just here. I guess it's universal among Finneyists.

Edited by Auburn88
  • Lady Administrators

Then stop. Wow.

I wasn't trying to goad you into anything. If you had just ceded to my request and not begun arguing

Actually, I told you twice that I felt I made my point and was finished. You insisted on bringing it up again.  I told you once to drop it (before you said you made your point)...and you kept it up. Man, you just have to have the last word, don't you. Even when someone's trying to be nice.

Well, keep in mind that I hadn't yet revealed myself as Satan Incarnate (aka a Calvinist). Oh, I'm sorry - I thought you meant today.