• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Presenting The Gospel

• Members

Right, heartstrings did have a good post.  I want all to know that I am not saying that we do not need to repent, I am saying we don't need to focus on that, but on faith.  Years ago they called repenting before you're saved "Lordship salvation" and that is what it sounds like many people are saying when they emphasize repentance "to be saved".  If we could repent before we were saved, we would not need Calvary, and it's great sacrifice.  I still maintain that repentance is at the time of conversion, or as soon as the prospect decides he wants to be saved.  He changed direction by seeking heaven instead of hell.

They are simultaneous. It's at the point one recognizes their lost sinful condition and need of salvation that they repent and are saved.

• Members

I agree with every post on this thread.

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

Repent ye and believe the Gospel.

If we beg for the Spirit's conviction on the lost we encounter and give them the Gospel as we are commanded, God will do the convicting to repentance.

Personally I am not nearly Spiritual enough to understand exactly how the Spirit convicts and makes folks repent. Way out of my paygrade.

Some sows seeds, some water but GOD gives the increase. The debates on either extreme come because good intentioned brothers and sisters try to make it happen with magic words and phrases (excellency of speech and wisdom) and push, push, push to sow, water and give THEIR OWN INCREASE on the spot.

Patience and prayer is the key I think.

• Members

No one (especially myself) is saying that we atop repenting.  Repentance is necessary, but it in not repentance that saves us (Eph. 2:8-10).  We need not "Preach repentance for the forgiveness of sin.  Every time someone mentions soul winning, this topic seems to pop up, as if the one posting does not believe in it.  We are to preach the Gospel and hopefully God will save them, THEN we can teach them about repentance.  If they are saved, they have already repented, but repenting does not end there, of course.

• Members

No one (especially myself) is saying that we atop repenting.  Repentance is necessary, but it in not repentance that saves us (Eph. 2:8-10).  We need not "Preach repentance for the forgiveness of sin.  Every time someone mentions soul winning, this topic seems to pop up, as if the one posting does not believe in it.  We are to preach the Gospel and hopefully God will save them, THEN we can teach them about repentance.  If they are saved, they have already repented, but repenting does not end there, of course.

Repentance is part of the Gospel message. If a person doesn't come to realize they are a lost sinner in need of a Saviour they won't be saved. We (those witnessing to folks) don't bring about repentance or tell someone they must repent of all sin or anything along those lines. What we do is make sure the lost person comes to recognize they are a lost sinner and the only way to be right with God is to turn from a life of sin (rebellion toward God) and turn to a life in Christ, thus being born again.

When we look at the examples given throughout the New Testament we see that those who were born again immediately were followers of Christ. There was immediate change in their hearts and lives which all could see. None said a prayer, heard a follower of Christ tell them they are now saved, and then went on back to life as before. Just as Scripture says, when one is truly born again they are a new creature in Christ, there is an immediate change of heart. That doesn't mean one suddenly becomes sin free and holy, but it does mean they are truly changed, they have that deep desire in their heart to actually follow Christ and walk away from sin. We see this time and again in Scripture and we see it in our own witnessing when one is truly born again.

• Members

So when did any of you stop repenting??

Just saying is all....

God bless,

calvary

2 Corinthians 7:9-10

King James Version (KJV)

Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.

10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

• Members

Everyone banters back and forth and talks "about" how to do it, when, where, content, etc. Stop discussing and just go. You're commanded to go and the rest of the commandment is just as simple. Don't make excuses.

Just a question, but why do you keep insinuating that folks here are not doing this?

• Members

So when did any of you stop repenting??

Just saying is all....

God bless,

calvary

A growing Christian never completely stops repenting and, as Paul did, we all must "die daily" to self.  We can have no victory without it. Repentence is to "turn from" or "turn against"

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

• Members

A word about repentance: it has been long disputed, (and will no doubt continue to be), whether we should encourage them to repent of their sin before they call upon the Lord for salvation, but at the time they decide to trust Christ as their Savior, they have a change of heart, and that is repentance.  The Gospel is what saves men, and repentance may not be considered the Gospel per se.

Wait a second. Repentence isn't part of the Gospel?

• Members

Mat 16:21  From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.

Mat 17:23  And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.

(Jesus) Rom 4:25  Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

1Co 15:1  Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1Co 15:2  By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1Co 15:3  For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4  And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Heb 4:2  For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Take your pick, but 1 Cor. defines it pretty well.

I just looked up the 98 verses in the Bible that mention "Gospel", and not one of them said "repentance"; the last one in this list does say "Not being mixed with faith...", but not repentance.

Notice that Nicodemus was not instructed to repent;

Neither the Ethiopian eunuch, nor the Philippian jailer, hmmm, maybe they weren't saved?

Edited by irishman

• Members

I'm not insinuating, I'm being very straight forward.

So you know the people on this board are not involved in carrying out the great commission? How do you know what all of us are doing? Why don't you believe what many of us have posted regarding our involvement in such?

• Members

When Jesus spoke with Nicodemus about being born again, that incorporates repentance. One must forsake the old life and take on the new life. One can't take on the new life while clinging to the old life.

The jailer exhibited repentance by his actions.

The word "Gospel" simply means "good news", and all that Jesus did is good news indeed. What examples are given of calling men to God? They involve repentance, as I cited a few of the verses in another post.  

The Holy Ghost can't seal and indwell someone that is still in their sin. One must recognize the fact they are a sinner, condemned already in the eyes of God for their rebellion against Him. One must then choose to repent and be born again or remain in their sin and continue in their sin nature.

It's the idea that one can be saved without repentance, that one can be a new creature while still being the old creature, that all one has to do is say a "sinners prayer" or say "I believe" without any conviction, that has led to a plethora of false converts all around us.

This is why when we read the sermons of old time Baptists they are filled with "fire and brimstone", and this is why the world and liberal churches all denounce such preaching today. This is especially a problem here in America where most want to have things their way. They want to feel they are good with God, but they don't want to do what God says so they are quick to latch onto a way to think they are good with God, whether it be "salvation" through nothing more than saying a prayer or it be through saying hail marys and confessing to a priest or finding some religion that fits their life already.

Jesus and the Apostles called men to repentance and a new life in Christ. Old time Baptists preached the same message, as do some still today.

• Members

The Bible says that baptism is walking in a new life too, does that mean we need to preach baptism while soul winning?

Col 2:12  "Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead."

Rom 6:4  Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Edited by irishman