• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

JerryNumbers

Why The Compromise Later In Life ?

The husband transfers to a different city to become the administer of the public school in that city. Once there he finds out there is no Independent Baptist Church in that area. he & wife has tow children, & they want to be sure they're always in the correct church & refuse to attends one of the 2 SBC Churches in that city.

The husband thinks about this, what can I do. It hits him, I will go back to the Independent Baptist Church we had been member of in the previous city & ask them if they will help me establish an Independent Baptist Church in this city. His previous church jumps on the idea, & agrees to do so.

In just a few weeks they find 3 families that thinks its a great idea to start an Independent Baptist
church in that city. They start out meeting in the school administer home each Sunday morning. They soon have 3 more families join them, them they started taking time about meeting in each others house.

In just a few more moths they gain 4 more families  & them they start renting an old store building on Main Street. When the do this this mans home church ordains a missionary sending him to that town to become their pastor, treating it a mission, completely supporting this missionary telling the members of that church to save up money so they can build their self a church building. In about two years they have gained just a few more members, & they have enough money to build a small church building & do so.

​Shortly after this they became self supporting, their mission pastor becomes the pastor of this church & the home church cuts off all funds. During the growing up years their daughter meets a boy in school that's a member of the coC, & starts dating him. Them after graduation they marry.

Shortly after this the husband retires from his school career & they retire back to their home town. their daughter & husband has children, the daughter converts to the coC, raising their children in the coC.

With this having started to take place, this husband & wife who would not compromise their Independent Baptist Church beliefs & join a SBC Church starts to compromising. Now they're saying there's no differences in the beliefs of the coC & what the Independent Baptist Church teaches. Both churches teaches your saved by grace though faith. No, they had not always believed this, when they went to all the efforts to start the new Independent Baptist Church they proclaimed the truth, that the coC does not teach people how to be save. And they would not compromise their conservative beliefs to become a liberal SBC Church member.

And if anyone says anything about the coC, & the path they teach to get saved, they quickly defend them, saying, all churches of Christ teaches only God's truths just like we do.

​Why the change? I think we have people that will compromise their beliefs for their grand children  hoping beyond all hope their grand children will go to Heaven, & are not lost in their sins. But does compromising the Bible really help their grand children.  No, it just encourages them & likely they will always be members of the coC & in that day those children will hear those dreaded words from Christ, "I never knew you."

If your familiar with them nearly every time a good Baptist marries a member of the coC, the majority of the time the good Baptist will compromise, joining the coC. I'v seen it happen over & over again thru my nearly 67 years on this earth.

1Co 5:6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

Ga 5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

How true that is & has been proven over & over again right in front of our very eyes.

Yes, the above is a true story, not something I dreamed up

I think people get tired of the fight, in a nutshell.   I think you can explain almost everything that is going on right now with that one sentence.

I think people get tired of the fight, in a nutshell.   I think you can explain almost everything that is going on right now with that one sentence.

That's true in many cases. After years, even decades of fighting they good fight they get tired. When they get tired most try to carry on somewhat in their own strength as they lean less on the Lord. This will always lead one in the wrong direction.

There is also the problem of some folks putting family first rather than God first, so they allow the actions of certain family members to be more important in their decisions than what the Word says.

Then we have the issue of some churches being more diligent in teaching their congregations to be loyal to their church/denomination and to raise their children in that manner. Many Baptist churches and Baptist families fall short in this area so some end up more willing to compromise, not seeing it as big of a deal, as those raised in churches and homes which emphasized the importance of their particular church/denomination.

My children have free will but I work hard (not hard enough) to instill proper bible (baptist) doctrines in the kids.  What a failure I would think of myself if one of my own up and joins a rock-n-roll church or brings home some hairball with his underwear showing.

​Why the change? I think we have people that will compromise their beliefs for their grand children  hoping beyond all hope their grand children will go to Heaven, & are not lost in their sins.

1Co 5:6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

You hit the nail right on the head with those two verses right there.  I think you're also right in what you said about people compromising for their grandchildren.  I know of a pastor whom I use to be real close to who was like a father to me almost.  He began to let his son bring in all kinds on new bible versions such as The Message and also allowing him to bring in CCM.  His son began to influence other new Christians in this church who had just been saved and he began to lead them down this same path.  A family went to the pastor in private concerned about the direction it was taking the church down.  The pastor proceeded to blow up and tell them off and then for the next several months attacked them from the pulpit at nearly every service.

I know of another pastor/evangelist personally who has also started to compromise his previous convictions so that he can be with his grandchildren.  This preacher was straight down the line in his preaching and living, but he had a son whom once he was old enough chose to go down a very liberal path.  This son now pastors a church where they have a rock band, he uses different versions of the Bible, and many times he will get up to preach in a t-shirt and worn-out jeans.  The evangelist use to preach against these types of preachers but now he has compromised and will even attend his son's church services at times and has had his son come preach for him at the church he now pastors.

It's sad to see how people will compromise their standards and convictions for family.  I love my family, but I will not compromise on God's Word for them.  Yes, it's made some of them mad in the past, but most of them have come to at least respect my position even if they don't agree with it.

Another verse to go along with that would be:

Luke 14:26  "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

These people just don't realize that their compromise now isn't helping their family members later on down the road.  It's just lending credence and support to that lifestyle.  Many of those who choose to compromise for their family will one day see those same family members lives destroyed by the world and the devil.

You hit the nail right on the head with those two verses right there.  I think you're also right in what you said about people compromising for their grandchildren.  I know of a pastor whom I use to be real close to who was like a father to me almost.  He began to let his son bring in all kinds on new bible versions such as The Message and also allowing him to bring in CCM.  His son began to influence other new Christians in this church who had just been saved and he began to lead them down this same path.  A family went to the pastor in private concerned about the direction it was taking the church down.  The pastor proceeded to blow up and tell them off and then for the next several months attacked them from the pulpit at nearly every service.

I know of another pastor/evangelist personally who has also started to compromise his previous convictions so that he can be with his grandchildren.  This preacher was straight down the line in his preaching and living, but he had a son whom once he was old enough chose to go down a very liberal path.  This son now pastors a church where they have a rock band, he uses different versions of the Bible, and many times he will get up to preach in a t-shirt and worn-out jeans.  The evangelist use to preach against these types of preachers but now he has compromised and will even attend his son's church services at times and has had his son come preach for him at the church he now pastors.

It's sad to see how people will compromise their standards and convictions for family.  I love my family, but I will not compromise on God's Word for them.  Yes, it's made some of them mad in the past, but most of them have come to at least respect my position even if they don't agree with it.

Another verse to go along with that would be:

Luke 14:26  "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

These people just don't realize that their compromise now isn't helping their family members later on down the road.  It's just lending credence and support to that lifestyle.  Many of those who choose to compromise for their family will one day see those same family members lives destroyed by the world and the devil.

For their family, children, grandchildren, many will compromise God's Word, fearing to offend them, rather offend God than children & grandchildren, after all they have to face their children & grandchildren now, & will not face God till later on.  :(

I believe we are seeing it in the republican party right now with republicans children, grandchildren coming out as homosexuals, & they're changing their stand, no longer oppose such behavior.

Do you think some of it might be they fear when they get old, if they take a strong stand on God's truth, their children, their grandchildren, will leave them to their self, not caring for them, not coming around them in their old age? I think that might be part of it.

All we can do is proclaim God's truth, them they will do what they will, but it hurts, especially when its a set of parents like I spoke of who refuse to compromise attending a SBC Church & went to all the effort of starting a brand new church. I might add the last I heard that church was thriving very good, going stronger than ever. Its in a town of probably 2,000 to 3,000 people

That's true in many cases. After years, even decades of fighting they good fight they get tired. When they get tired most try to carry on somewhat in their own strength as they lean less on the Lord. This will always lead one in the wrong direction.

There is also the problem of some folks putting family first rather than God first, so they allow the actions of certain family members to be more important in their decisions than what the Word says.

Then we have the issue of some churches being more diligent in teaching their congregations to be loyal to their church/denomination and to raise their children in that manner. Many Baptist churches and Baptist families fall short in this area so some end up more willing to compromise, not seeing it as big of a deal, as those raised in churches and homes which emphasized the importance of their particular church/denomination.

Ro 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Every saved person falls short of the glory of God, not just many Baptist.

Yet you don't have to single out us Baptist on a Baptist forum just because your not one of us an attend a nondenominational church, you can say it just as the Bible does, using the word ALL.

Plus none of us Baptist makes the claim of being perfect Christians, we know we fall short.

And I am glad to be a Baptist, I'm a Baptist by my very own choice, & your right, I'm loyal to my Church & the name Baptist & what it stands for, & if there was no Baptist Church in my area I would make every effort to start one, I would not compromise on that issue as many do going to just any church that may happen to be close by.

My children have free will but I work hard (not hard enough) to instill proper bible (baptist) doctrines in the kids.  What a failure I would think of myself if one of my own up and joins a rock-n-roll church or brings home some hairball with his underwear showing.

It & or worse has happened to many parents children.

If your familiar with them nearly every time a good Baptist marries a member of the coC, the majority of the time the good Baptist will compromise, joining the coC. I'v seen it happen over & over again thru my nearly 67 years on this earth.

How true that is & has been proven over & over again right in front of our very eyes.

Yes, the above is a true story, not something I dreamed up

I, praise the Lord, am an exception here! I was born and raised in the CoC and started dating my IFB wife while in High School. After graduation I proposed and a year later we were married. For the first year and a half of our marriage, we attended a CoC, but my wife was always uncomfortable, regularly pointing out falsehoods about what was being preached. When we got married, the arrangement was that whenever we moved, we would go to either a CoC or Baptist, the opposite of our last church. Since I was in the Navy, we knew we would be moving fairly regularly. When I was transfered to WA, we started attending an IFB church, as per our arrangement. It was there that I heard the Bible (KJV) preached for the first time, and was really convicted about my beliefs. After much study, an open mind, and the never ceasing encouragement from my wife, I realized that my baptism as a kid did not save me and that I was still lost and bound for Hell. I then asked Jesus to forgive and save me, and ever since we have been IFB and nothing but! There is also a couple that joined our church a few months ago who were former CoC as well. I definitely agree that the compromise is generally in favor of going to the CoC, but I just wanted to share an instance where the right choice was made.

Ro 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Every saved person falls short of the glory of God, not just many Baptist.

Yet you don't have to single out us Baptist on a Baptist forum just because your not one of us an attend a nondenominational church, you can say it just as the Bible does, using the word ALL.

Plus none of us Baptist makes the claim of being perfect Christians, we know we fall short.

And I am glad to be a Baptist, I'm a Baptist by my very own choice, & your right, I'm loyal to my Church & the name Baptist & what it stands for, & if there was no Baptist Church in my area I would make every effort to start one, I would not compromise on that issue as many do going to just any church that may happen to be close by.

There is no singling out of Baptists, and this isn't an us vs. them issue, as I'm a Baptist myself, both my pastors are Baptist and our church boldly preaches the whole Word of God.

The point was asked as to why some compromise later in life and why when a Baptist gets mixed up with someone from another denomination it's most often the Baptist who compromises. You raised these issues in your OP.

The fact is, there are some denominations which teach and practice that their denomination/church is special, is something to be strongly held to, something to give ones lifetime loyalty to, a place to raise ones family for generations. At the same time, most Baptists don't have such an engrained training. This is one of the reasons why when a Baptist mixes with someone from certain other denominations, the one from the other denomination holds their church/denomination dearly in their hearts and their ties there are often like family ties. The Baptist typically doesn't have such a strong attachement to their church/denomination so they are far more open to compromise than the one from the other denomination.

That's not at all an attack upon Baptists, nor is it an endorsement of any other denomination, it's simply a fact which in part answers your OP.

It's a truth that many Baptist churches and families do a poor job of keeping their youth in the church. We lose many of our children to other denominations or the world because we don't put enough effort into our youth to rightly train them in the Bible and in the importance of the right church. Then we send many of them away to secular college or a Christian college from another denomination or a watered down Baptist college. This problem has been addressed in other threads.

It's not uncommon to see a "Baptist family" that eventually has some in the family who become Methodists, AOGs, or some other denomination and typically those who remain Baptist will compromise, respect, condone and accept their other family members choices. That's a reality we have to face and something we need to guard against, learn from and work to correct.

The fact is, there are some denominations which teach and practice that their denomination/church is special, is something to be strongly held to, something to give ones lifetime loyalty to, a place to raise ones family for generations. At the same time, most Baptists don't have such an engrained training. This is one of the reasons why when a Baptist mixes with someone from certain other denominations, the one from the other denomination holds their church/denomination dearly in their hearts and their ties there are often like family ties. The Baptist typically doesn't have such a strong attachement to their church/denomination so they are far more open to compromise than the one from the other denomination.

That's so wrong, though. They ought to have a strong enough attachment to the TRUTH to keep them there regardless of 'family ties.'

That's so wrong, though. They ought to have a strong enough attachment to the TRUTH to keep them there regardless of 'family ties.'

True, but this is lacking in many churches and families as well. Not enough emphasis is put upon the importance of a Bible preaching church, one that preaches the whole Word of God, rightly divided. There often isn't enough attention given to training and discipling so youth and others learn to walk in truth and desire to live for God.

Too often there is little more than the occassional mention that one should attend a "good church", but no real teaching on what it is that makes a church "good". Too often families don't make church attendance a priority, they apply what is taught in their church, some even degrade their pastor in the eyes of their children by the way they live and how they speak of the pastors sermons.

When I was younger it seemed folks of all denominations took more pride, had more affection for, the particular church they were raised in. When asked, people would proudly (not in a sinful manner) declare they were Baptist, Methodist or whatever. Today it's more common for folks to either not mention their denomination or to simply say they attend First Baptist Church without actually identifying themselves as Baptist.

Several in my family work in the medical profession and on some of the forms they have to deal with they need to ask if one has a religious preference. It seems most people don't or they give a rather generic response. Other than Catholics, fewer today declare their denomination on these forms. When my wife or I are asked such a question we instantly say "Baptist", but it seems not as many others do this today.

Some of the problem falls upon particular churches or pastors, and much of it falls upon parents. We have now seen several generations moving away from solid churches to other churches, or leaving church altogether. We need to work to correct this problem.

First, I'm sorry to hear that these folks have changed their beliefs about what constitutes salvation.

Your post reminds me so much of the importance of teaching doctrine to our kids as they grow up.  It is not enough to know that you use KJV only or that you dress modestly or that you are an Independent Baptist.  You need to know why you are those things from the Word of God.

Like Kitagirl, I do feel some get weary in well doing.  However, I would add that they get weary in doing well because they are doing well more of habit than of heart; more of community than of conviction and more of tradition than of teaching.

Perhaps some of you have friends who have adjusted their standards and church affiliations to be more "progressive and accepting" and are shaking your heads because you can't understand what went wrong.  I know I have been baffled by some adjustments in my town.  (Dropping the name Baptist, multiple versions, worldly approaches, compromise on many levels, to name a few)  I have concluded in my corner of the world that we were very clear about the labels of things in times past,  but perhaps not as clear about the underlying reasons for the labels and the accompanying positions.    Just some of my thoughts....

First, I'm sorry to hear that these folks have changed their beliefs about what constitutes salvation.

Your post reminds me so much of the importance of teaching doctrine to our kids as they grow up.  It is not enough to know that you use KJV only or that you dress modestly or that you are an Independent Baptist.  You need to know why you are those things from the Word of God.

Like Kitagirl, I do feel some get weary in well doing.  However, I would add that they get weary in doing well because they are doing well more of habit than of heart; more of community than of conviction and more of tradition than of teaching.

Perhaps some of you have friends who have adjusted their standards and church affiliations to be more "progressive and accepting" and are shaking your heads because you can't understand what went wrong.  I know I have been baffled by some adjustments in my town.  (Dropping the name Baptist, multiple versions, worldly approaches, compromise on many levels, to name a few)  I have concluded in my corner of the world that we were very clear about the labels of things in times past,  but perhaps not as clear about the underlying reasons for the labels and the accompanying positions.    Just some of my thoughts....

That's a major problem, the addressing of external matters and often paying more attention to external matters rather than addressing the heart and seeing external fruits coming from their heart.

Too often outward appearances are stressed, rules are preached and the need to conform to the rules, and this is all some folks ever get. Their "faith" is superficial, based upon rule keeping and outward appearances.

As always, the biblical approach of helping folks be born again in Christ and then discipling them biblically so they will be conformed to the image of Christ from the inside out is what we should be doing.

I, praise the Lord, am an exception here! I was born and raised in the CoC and started dating my IFB wife while in High School. After graduation I proposed and a year later we were married. For the first year and a half of our marriage, we attended a CoC, but my wife was always uncomfortable, regularly pointing out falsehoods about what was being preached. When we got married, the arrangement was that whenever we moved, we would go to either a CoC or Baptist, the opposite of our last church. Since I was in the Navy, we knew we would be moving fairly regularly. When I was transfered to WA, we started attending an IFB church, as per our arrangement. It was there that I heard the Bible (KJV) preached for the first time, and was really convicted about my beliefs. After much study, an open mind, and the never ceasing encouragement from my wife, I realized that my baptism as a kid did not save me and that I was still lost and bound for Hell. I then asked Jesus to forgive and save me, and ever since we have been IFB and nothing but! There is also a couple that joined our church a few months ago who were former CoC as well. I definitely agree that the compromise is generally in favor of going to the CoC, but I just wanted to share an instance where the right choice was made.

I had been invited to preach at the church my deacons son was pastor of one Sunday night. At the invitation a man & wife came forward.

Later I over heard this pastor talking to a deacon of this church saying, "I just don't understand it, here I invite this man to preach & this coC couple who has attend our church for the 2nd time on a Sunday night, & they come forward professing faith in Jesus Christ  alone wanting to become members of our church, saying they know the coC they're members of does not teach Bible truths. I just can't understand why they did not do this last Sunday evening when i was preaching."

I've only told two people about this, my pastor, & now I've mentioned it on here.

When i heard this, it nearly took my breath away, I would have never thought this man would say such a thing.

There is no singling out of Baptists, and this isn't an us vs. them issue, as I'm a Baptist myself, both my pastors are Baptist and our church boldly preaches the whole Word of God.

The point was asked as to why some compromise later in life and why when a Baptist gets mixed up with someone from another denomination it's most often the Baptist who compromises. You raised these issues in your OP.

That's not at all an attack upon Baptists, nor is it an endorsement of any other denomination, it's simply a fact which in part answers your OP.

It's a truth that many Baptist churches and families do a poor job of keeping their youth in the church. We lose many of our children to other denominations or the world because we don't put enough effort into our youth to rightly train them in the Bible and in the importance of the right church. Then we send many of them away to secular college or a Christian college from another denomination or a watered down Baptist college. This problem has been addressed in other threads.

It's not uncommon to see a "Baptist family" that eventually has some in the family who become Methodists, AOGs, or some other denomination and typically those who remain Baptist will compromise, respect, condone and accept their other family members choices. That's a reality we have to face and something we need to guard against, learn from and work to correct.

John, take a close look, the only name you mentioned is "Many Baptist Churches," as you do many times when your making such a broad statement. You did not mention the name of any other churches, only Baptist, so yes, you singled us out using our name.

Now if you were not a member of a nondenominational church, but a member of a Baptist Church, I would not say one word. 

John, take a close look, the only name you mentioned is "Many Baptist Churches," as you do many times when your making such a broad statement. You did not mention the name of any other churches, only Baptist, so yes, you singled us out using our name.

Now if you were not a member of a nondenominational church, but a member of a Baptist Church, I would not say one word. 

I was responding to your statements regarding why it is that when Baptists yoke with no-Baptists it's most often the Baptists who compromise. The whole issue revolves around Baptists which is why we are discussing Baptists. Most all of us here are Baptist so our conversations center upon Baptists.

I'm a member of the Baptist church I was baptized in. The church I attend now is led by Baptists and is more biblically sound than any Baptist church left in our area. This church was formed around 1825 as a non-denominational church for the sake of independence and holding to the fundamentals of the faith. Being in a biblically sound church without the name Baptist on a sign doesn't make one any less a Baptist, nor does it make one any less saved or any less walking with the Lord.

The husband & wife I spoke of seems to know doctrine, so its not because the lack of teachings the right doctrine. if they had not been they would have done like many others, just attend the SBC Church, or attend some nondenominational church that makes no stand instead of making the effort to start an Independent Baptist Church. 

So in this case that is not the problem, & its not the problem in many cases with elderly people who will compromise because of children & or grandchildren. And its not the case with many of our young people.

And yes, teaching the correct doctrine is a must, yet you cannot force the correct doctrine on anyone. All you can do is teach it, them the rest is up to them & how willing they are in letting the Holy Spirit guide them. They will chose to believe what they want to believe. And for the most part I feel those in our Independent Baptist Churches across this country are teaching what they think is right, even the ones compromising God's truths. With the latter just being badly mislead.

So you're a member of two different local churches?   :scratchchin:

No. The Baptist church where I was baptized is far away. They have a policy of maintaining one who is baptized there as a member for life unless the person requests to be dropped, does something the church considers grounds for dropping, or joins another church that's incompatible with their statement of faith.

The local church I'm a member of now is fully compatible with the IFB church I was baptized in therefore I'm also still on their church rolls as a member.