• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

DaveW

Bible Colleges.

Because we are a fairly isolated area - check Perth on a map - there are very few options, and so it is common for young men to go to Sydney, Brisbane (actually Rockhampton) or to the USA for Bible college.

When I was training, we had a small Bible college run by local pastors at a couple of the churches.
The benefits of multiple pastors (all pretty solid) but you get to stay at your local church and serve where the Lord planted you, and continue to grow where the Lord planted you.

THAT is what I was trying to get at.

Why would it be right for ANY Bible college to take you away from your local church?

I've heard that Massillon Baptist College is pretty decent. They used to be KJV only but looking at their website I don't see that position anymore.

Massillon Baptist College is KJV only and is a fairly solid school.  We have a student at our church attending there currently.

I believe it's been mentioned already, but I would highly recommend Heartland Baptist Bible College. I have researched it out and plan to attend in the near future. My pastor is a graduate from there, and I have had the priviledge to meet several other pastor graduates from that school, as well as Sam Davison. They are solid biblically and hold the bar very high.

No, I'm not. Not every church has a pastor who's willing to invest the time and resources to properly teach someone interested in ministry and I don't think being taught by just one person is a good idea.

If someone goes off to Bible college but doesn't end up in the ministry then they weren't called of God at that time, maybe later, maybe not.

Edited by lefton

Folks choose to go to bible college because there really isn't any other alternative. Most churches don't train for the ministry anymore nor do they teach much theology either, though I have heard of a few that have their own little nighttime non-credited bible institutes associated with their church. Most people won't consider you a called minister of the church if you haven't been to an accredited college. IMO, it's a racket patterned after the way the world does it. 

No, I'm not. Not every church has a pastor who's willing to invest the time and resources to properly teach someone interested in ministry and I don't think being taught by just one person is a good idea.
If someone goes off to Bible college but doesn't end up in the ministry then they weren't called of God at that time, maybe later, maybe not.

Funnily enough I know the point I was trying to make with my thread.

Your answers indicate you have either not read what I have written, or that I need to expressor better.

But you have missed my point...........

Most every church I've been part of has had more than a preacher,  pastor, it has also had some very good Sunday school teachers. I still remember the best one I ever had, he had no schooling, learned it all on his own, & he knew the Bible very good, & by attending church services very regular.

Rather than spread the other thread thin, I thought I would start another.

I have often wondered about the wisdom of the traditional Bible College.
Not about them going off the rails etc, but the actual concept itself.

Now I am not against Bible Colleges per se.

My wondering is with the idea that a young man gets saved in a good local church. He begins to grow in that good local church. He gets involved in the ministries of that good local church. He feels the calling of the Lord to deeper service in that good local church.
So the pastor and church send him across the country or even the world, to go to a Bible College many miles away from that good local church.

Now they may pick the best and greatest Bible College in all the world, but why does it make sense to send this man away from where the Lord is using him and growing him?

I understand that an individual Pastor (especially a tentmaker) may not be able to give him all the training he needs, and so he may need help from nearby pastors (solid men of course).
But he stay in the good local church, serving, learning, growing where the Lord has planted him.

Thoughts?

I know of one tent maker that would have been able to teach a young man that was going to become a pastor everything he needed to know, His name was Paul. I'm willing to say there's been some people in many churches throughout the ages that through the guidance of the Holy Ghost that had the same ability & could do that job.

But as previously stated in another post under this topic, most of the larger churches refuse to call anyone to be their pastor if they do not have letters before or after their name & a diploma. So many take off to Bible college in order to get the higher paying churches which usually will have more members & also to be accepted by other pastors who've been to Bible college.

And no, I don't mean that is the case every time, yet it is in many churches. I've stated I know of several educated Baptist pastors that have been very humble when I've been around them at funerals & events. A few of them have not.

My wife works with, or did, a church of Christ preachers wife. He did not have a church & was visiting churches all across the country. After returning from several of them his wife would say, "We want be going there they cannot afford us."
They did finally find one that could afford them & are moving off from here, about 900 to 1,000 miles or so.

There are Baptist preachers & pastors that feel the same way as the coC I spoke of above, many churches can't afford them yet they're happy to fill in until they can find one that will or can.

Most every church I've been part of has had more than a preacher,  pastor, it has also had some very good Sunday school teachers. I still remember the best one I ever had, he had no schooling, learned it all on his own, & he knew the Bible very good, & by attending church services very regular.

I agree Jerry but the sad thing is most pastors and teachers will be ignored if they haven't attended some bible college. Especially if they don't know Hebrew or Greek which IMO is doesn't help in understanding the bible. I would rather have a teacher who had more of a grasp of the English language.

I agree Jerry but the sad thing is most pastors and teachers will be ignored if they haven't attended some bible college. Especially if they don't know Hebrew or Greek which IMO is doesn't help in understanding the bible. I would rather have a teacher who had more of a grasp of the English language.

True, if the truth be told not many churches stands on the KJB, & I feel may of them loves to hear their pastor say, "I read the originals." of course they don't, they just read from copies of copies of copies of copies & so on of what someone says it the originals.

And amazing to me they will call a pastor who they literally know nothing about except for having him preach at their church maybe 1, 2, 3, or more times, & the only thing they know is he has a diploma from a certain school, & perhaps been ordained by a certain college church or individual that they may know little to nothing about. Yes I know, many times it works out great, yet its at a great risk. Like the Baptist church that called a young preacher that was homosexual with them not knowing that, & he brought in many of his homosexual friends splitting the church with him & his homosexual friends keeping the church.