Online Baptist

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

what are your views on watching movies these days?

i do my best to avoid watching anything that comes out of holly wood simply due to the fact that nothing good ever comes out of there, and the Bible says to not be of the world.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are only great if they taught the truth, that your saved by grace alone, & that you cannot lose your salvation after you have it. The United Methodist does not teach that, sadly they do share

Yeah same here...we just watch whatever movies we research first, and usually just rent on Amazon.com or something.   We don't have cable either...I have Amazon Prime since I'm an avid Amazon shopper.

Well, I DO admit to liking them superhero movies, like the Avengers. I was a real comic geek when I was young, and of course, watched Lou Ferrigno and Bill Bixby's 'Hulk'. I admit that, while I don't

• Moderators

Well, I DO admit to liking them superhero movies, like the Avengers. I was a real comic geek when I was young, and of course, watched Lou Ferrigno and Bill Bixby's 'Hulk'. I admit that, while I don't read comics any more, I likethe fact that technology has arrived to make realistic superhero movies, and generally speaking, they have made them pretty much without blood, cursing and sex, at least the ones I have watched.

I don't, however, like the messiah-complex they gave Superman in the last movie-found it a bit blasphemous. And they said he was for truth and justice, but no longer the American way. Granted, the American way isn't much to speak of any more so maybe a good thing.  SO I am careful, even in these-there are many I don't watch.

If you never saw Avengers, there is one classic line I loved-Iron man and Captain America are in a jet, having just captured Loki, and thor comes along and slaps Iron Man out of the way, grabs Loki and jumps out. Iron Man follows him, and Captain America begins to put on a parachute to follow them. Black Widow warns him that he should sit it out, since "these guys are basicall gods." To which he replies, "There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure He doesn't dress like that!" and out he goes. Interestingly, the producer is an atheist-he just realizes that someone from the 40's woud probably have more Christian values than someone today. I have prayed for him, Joss Whedon-maybe such a attitude may lead him to Christ yet.

I buy old time movies.  They are wholesome and entertaining.  Mostly old westerns, but I recently bought the second season of the "Real Mccoys", some of you oldies but goodies may remember them.  That was comedy, not this junk they call comedy today.

What is good about watching movies, any movie that portrays sins, any sins against God?

What is good about being entertained by seeing sins portrayed before your very eyes?

What does it do to a persons Christian witness to enjoy movies & or TV shows that portrays sins against God & to recommend others to watch them. Once a local pastor from behind the pulpit during a sermon one Sunday morning spoke of the movie they drove 50 miles there them back home to watch one Saturday night. He said that him & his wife enjoyed the movie very much & recommends everyone to go see it. he said it was one of the most enjoyable movies he had watched. However he did warn those who were parents, during some scenes they should cover up the eyes of their children, & stop up their ears, for some scenes were nude while the adults were doing adult things, & there was very much cussing.

Does not many movies & even TV shows glorify sins against God? Even tempting the viewer to enjoy such sins?

Several years back I read a small book written by John R.Rice on this subject, at the time it explained to me why many of the movies, TV shows, that we thought were good, were actually not good. Can't find the book at the moment. I believe it was written in the 40's.

I'm not saying all movies & TV shows are bad, however I will say there's many more bad ones than good ones. And it seems the badder they are the better their liked here in modern America.

I have seen several "Christian" movies, shown from inside churches that had people in them that did not honor God,  "Burning Hell" for example, and "Shefy" (spelling may be wrong) but they show men who were terrible sinners, and they showed good preaching too.  I do not say that the old westerns were good in that sense though, a lot of fighting, drinking, and gambling etc., but I still watch them realizing that they are only movies.

By the way, they were not hellywood movies, they were made by "Christian" people and Christians starred in them.  Bob Jones ll or lll made several of them.

Edited by irishman

Several years back I read a small book written by John R.Rice on this subject, at the time it explained to me why many of the movies, TV shows, that we thought were good, were actually not good. Can't find the book at the moment. I believe it was written in the 40's.

Taming of the Televison by Hugh Pyle was a good one.

The bad outweighs the good.  I like John Wayne movies but when do they NOT saddle up to the bar?  When do they NOT poke fun of drunkeness?  

By contrast there are those Rocky Lane, Wild Bill Elliot and Roy Rogers movies that portray evil for what it is and none of the characters have yet to drink booze.  Wild Bill drinks milk!  

Dragnet is good save for smoking, One Adam 12 was better in the early seasons, Emergency has too much focus on the "single life", Rockford Files and Magnum PI forget it!

I'd rather not have it at all, it's too big a distraction and stumbling block.  

And those who watch R-rated, maybe even X-rated movies, may say, "Remember, its only a movie."

What Is Wrong with the Movies ? John R. Rice 1938

Wish my grandmother, father, mother, had read that book & never let us go to a movie, & never let that TV enter our life when I was about 12 years of age. Its surely easier not do do something you never got into the habit of doing, than it is to break the habit.

The bad thing, Good habits are so easily broken, & bad habits are extremely hard to break.

I have seen several "Christian" movies, shown from inside churches that had people in them that did not honor God,  "Burning Hell" for example, and "Shefy" (spelling may be wrong) but they show men who were terrible sinners, and they showed good preaching too.  I do not say that the old westerns were good in that sense though, a lot of fighting, drinking, and gambling etc., but I still watch them realizing that they are only movies.

By the way, they were not hellywood movies, they were made by "Christian" people and Christians starred in them.  Bob Jones ll or lll made several of them.

Sheffey is a true story of a pioneer mountain preacher. God didn't send him to bring the saved, perfect Christians to Christ, he was sent to sinners to lead them to Christ. If you can find something wrong about Sheffey then there's no movie I would think that you would be ok with.

I try to use Phil: 4:8 as my general guide with movies

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

I must of course confess that sometimes we watch movies that we likely should not watch, but on the whole, my larger problem with films is usually the message and general philosophy taught in the film.  For example:

The movie "Lean on me" is one of my favourites and I tend to force those around me to watch it every now and again.  There is some swearing, but, I also over-look it due to the larger "virtue" and "good report" I see in the film.

(also, Mr. Clark is a real person who has a ranch here in Central Fla. he indeed named "H.N.I.C. Ranch" :knuppel: 

Similarly, my LEAST favourite films (and the ones I have the MOST disdain for) would be films like "The Lion King" or "Mrs. Doubtfire"

Frankly, I would rather my kids watch something with some swearing or violence even if it's rated "R" for those reasons than a film which disguised as a wholesome film is teaching blasphemous or un-Biblical principles.  It's the Godless philosophies of rubber-stamping divorce etc.... that comes from Hollywood that irks me more than portraying obviously "BAD" guys doing obviously "BAD" things.

It doesn't phase me for instance if the "Bad-guy" is a drunk and he is portrayed as such.....He's the "Bad-guy" after all.

Humorously, like the first gazillion posters, we don't have cable either, and are subsequently beholden to amozon and Netflix for our entertainment :popcorn: 

Christian movies, are the actors Christians, or are they lost people portraying Christians? I suspect many of them are put out by those that believes only in works based salvation, & perhaps even by lost people who has never know the Christ.

I know that Pacific Gardens which tells those stories on Christian radio stations used lost actor, radio stars, to portray the real people the stores are about. I think that is a very bad idea.

I stopped watching television about 15 years ago so because it's just boring and worldly. I do watch movies sometimes and really liked the movei Hachi by Richard Gere. :)

That is a great thing.

Why is it so many people who are Christians & attend church services regularly has worldly friends that are lost? 

The lost friend does not like God, Jesus, the Bible, & Christian talk, & surely for the saved person all the things the lost worldly friend would talk about would be worldly & boring. What is it they have in common with one another? Even 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 says that very thing.

Yet many Christians do not find it boring to watch sins portrayed against God on the screens of TV & even movies. But call it very good entertainment & cannot wait till the next big blockbuster comes along, & will be telling their friends about how wonderful the movies was & they to should see it at their 1st opportunity. Even doing this outside the doors of their church after church services.

I have even walked up to two women in a discussion about people them stood listening to them a while right after church services right outside the church doors. Them ask who they're talking about because I have concern for the people & maybe we can help them, with the reply being, "Oh, so & so soap opera, she missed it this week & I had to catch her up on what all happened, for it seems anytime we miss it, that's when everything happens."  And I think, well,  :th_wellduh: !

Honestly, there's going to SOMETHING about any film that SOMEBODY is not going to like. On Christian movie review websites you can always leave your comments so others can be warned if you didn't like something in particular. Everybody do your part to warn others if you think it needs drawn attention to.

I stopped watching television about 15 years ago so because it's just boring and worldly. I do watch movies sometimes and really liked the movei Hachi by Richard Gere. :)

I don't know of one person who didn't cry at the end of Hachi.  :(

Edited by ASongOfDegrees

Those of you who knock every show on tv, have something they do that is of this world--either made and run by ungodly people, or influenced heavily by them  None of us stay in the Word of God 24/7.  Man needs a hobby, or a relaxing time, and good, wholesome entertainment fills the need there.

I can't get out because of health, and those old movies are a blessing when I am so confined, but, I also like writing, and spend a lot of time right here at my computer; nor "surfing", and not exploring the net, but with scrutiny to the Bible and the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Yes, movies are usually quite worldly, but the internet?  You have to spend big $$ to keep from seeing things you do not want/need to see.

Just use the descretion the Lord gave you. You'll know in your heart what is acceptable

or not. I can't stand musicals or foreign films, but I do enjoy a fine good guy/bad guy

movie. Has  anyone seen either or both "Omega Code" films?

"The Omega Code", I wasn't thrilled with, but "Meggido:Omega Code II" was definately

full-on with action piled on action, and big name stars, i.e., R. Lee Ermey and Michael Bean.

This one culminated in the battle of Armageddon at the end.

Edited by Tech45ACP

I think I remember Sheffey. Wasn't it about a circuit preacher?

Anyway, good decent movie.

IMO if it is a mainstream movie or TV show (on an entertainment network) it is Godless, sinful filth. I think we all know it but that doesn't seem to stop me from watching it.

I know from the Spirit conviction that it is wrong but that don't stop me sometimes. I am especially fond of any and all MMA televised

What I have issue with is any attempt to justifiy it as ok. Come on folks, you do know better. As with any area of activity or entertainment if you find yourself justifing it, just replace the word justifying with quenching.

As in: quenching the Spirit.

I'm no judge but conversely I won't spit in the air and tell everyone it is raining either.

Edited by wretched

We are not of the world, Why. Because we are suppose to have overcome the world, even the wicked one. Yet how many of us really overcome this world.

PS. Please notice I included myself, that I did not exclude myself.

We need to guard our eyes & brain, the wrong thing entering will make us prejudices against the Word of God. And the sly old Devil, Satan, the prince of this world, to the prince of the power of the air, the wicked one, is using every way possible means to ruin our Christian walk, & many of us are falling for many of them, being deceived.

Sheffey was a great movie, but I simply mentioned that there scenes similar to the cowboys who belly up to the bar.  Personally, about the only modern movie I like is Walker, Texas Ranger, but I don't allow myself to watch it anymore, though I used to.  I like the fighting, but we have always stayed with the rules we had for our children, and when they started swearing, I quit watching it.  Same with the Clint Eastwood Westerns.  Oh well, I still have Laramie, and the Virginian, and several others.

Oh, and no sex scenes, or even strong innuendos either.

Edited by irishman

Sheffey is a true story of a Baptist mountain preacher back in 19th century or late 18th, not sure.

I believe in fact he was "officially" a methodist, although they refused him a licence so he became an "itinerant preacher".
I don't know that he ever aligned himself with anyone after that.

From what I've seen his preaching was straight and strong.
;) Edited by DaveW

I remember seeing Sheffy a long time ago on an outside projector screen during a warm a summer night at a little Baptist church in the mountains of western Pennsylvania. That was some good memories.

The part that effected me the most in the movie was when the boy who was born out of wedlock to the very young mother became a preacher man when he grew up.

Edited by ASongOfDegrees

They are only great if they taught the truth, that your saved by grace alone, & that you cannot lose your salvation after you have it. The United Methodist does not teach that, sadly they do share many of the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.

I was reading an article by a Baptist man that had an uncle that grew up in a United Methodist Church, once he left home there was no more church. His uncle was on his death bed & he visited him in the hospital. He asked him, will you go to Heaven. He said yes. What makes you think you will go to Heaven. When I was a young boy I was baptized in the Methodist Church, both my  father & mother made sure that I would be safe, that will ensure that I will go to Heaven.

He tried to explain to his uncle that being baptized as a young boy in the United Methodist Church would not get him to Heaven. His uncle said, "Oh yes it will the pastor, who happens to be a woman, of the United Methodist Church came in & visited with me yesterday.  I told her about being baptize as a young boy of 3 years of age in a United Methodist Church, she assured me if that was so that Christ would accept me in Heaven.:

His uncle died believing that baptizing as a 3 year old boy saved him from the pits of Hell. He would not have nothing to with accepting Jesus as his Savior by grace though faith, he was ready to die as he was.

Christ will meet you at the Cross, but He will not meet you in the baptistery. You cannot skip the Cross of Christ, that is were it happens, not in the water.

Jerry, you are talking about the United Methodist Church. That's a whole different pony than the old time Methodist preachers who used to ride the circuit. It would be like saying the American Baptist USA is representative of the Independent Baptists.

No, it isn't, it was founded by John Wesley, & he started the teachings.

And as I've stated, there's some Methodist Church out there that holds to many Bible truths, but there few & far between.

Edited to add.

If you will search it out you will find out that nearly every Methodist Church sets on property owned by the United Methodist.

​In my early days I preached at a church that use to be  Methodist Church for several weeks. At 1st I thought they were all Baptist, yet as time when by I did find out some of them stood against Baptist beliefs. And I found out there church & grounds were owned by the Untied Methodist. I know of a Methodist Church that turned Baptist, the United Methodist owns it, it was started in the early 1800's & turned Baptist in the 1930's, & as long as they stay active & keep it up, they were welcome to use it.

During the time i preach at that church that use to be Methodist I studied out the Methodist  finding out the truth about them. There teachings are no the same as us Baptist, they share many of the RCC beliefs, with grace coming though the church & its sacraments.

Once several years ago the local Methodist Church had a revival, i suppose that was what you would call it. They also air many of their preaching services on the local TV station. I listen to that man preach one time, i really like the message. I found out his church broadcast their services on national TV. I watched a few of them, & finally the truth of his real beliefs came out. He was nothing like a Baptist pastor as I 1st thought he was.

Edited by JerryNumbers