• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Eric Stahl

Can You Explain This?

Psalm 149:4-9

4 For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.

5 Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.

6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two-edged sword in their hand;

7 To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;

8 To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron;

9 To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.

Spiritually it can be applied like that mentioned in the post above but it also probably has something to do with Joel 2 and the army that returns with the Lord at the battle of Armageddon. 

Historically it had to do with Israel driving out the heathen from the land of Canaan as well as punishing any of the children of Israel that got out of hand and it will be that way again at the return of Jesus Christ and the millennium. This is a part of the bible and of God's nature that the modern day Christian doesn't like to face. God is a "man of war" and the saints will one day return with Christ and destroy many of the wicked upon the earth and then along with Jesus Christ rule over the rest with a rod of iron. Thank God with live during this age of grace!

Habakkuk 3:11-13

11The sun and moon stood still in their habitation: at the light of thine arrows they went,(((notice))) and at the shining of thy glittering spear.

12 Thou didst march through the land in indignation, thou didst thresh the heathen in anger.

13 Thou wentest forth for the salvation of thy people, even for salvation with thine anointed; thou woundedst the head out of the house of the wicked, by discovering the foundation unto the neck. Selah.

I suspect this was written with the Old Testament saints in mind, who went to war against the heathen and executed judgment upon them. David was a man of war, so it fits him.

Revelation 19:11-21

11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;

18 That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.

19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.

20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

Yes but these are slain with the swonrd of Him that sits on the white horse, not the saints. The verse in Psalms attributes the deaths to the saints, not the Lord, just His people.

Ephesians 6:13-17

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

I believe Jesus will command the saints to kill the army of antichrist as it is written.

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

I believe Jesus will command the saints to kill the army of antichrist as it is written.

The sword of the Spirit is the word of God, with which we fight our enemy, Satan, not his people. The context of the passage is specifically NOT about flesh and blood, but about the powers of spiritual darkness, who we battle. Thus our weapon is the sword of the SPIRIT, the word of God. We serve the Prince of peace, not the god of war. The OT was about war and law, the NT is about peace and grace.

Yes but these are slain with the swonrd of Him that sits on the white horse, not the saints. The verse in Psalms attributes the deaths to the saints, not the Lord, just His people.

Read Joel 2. 

It's called the army of the Lord for a reason. The Lord will send the command and we will slaughter.

4 For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.

((Notice that these saints are in glory or heaven!)))

6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two-edged sword in their hand;

(((Notice that there is a prophecy about these saints coming back to earth from heaven or glory.)))

9To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.

((Notice that these saints are in glory or heaven!)))

(((Notice that there is a prophecy about these saints coming back to earth from heaven or glory.)))

9To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.

Eric, right now our weapons are not carnal but spiritual as is the armor of God in Ephesian 6. But the day shall come when our weapons will be carnal. This will take place at the battle of Armageddon.

Psa 149:6  Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;
Psa 149:7  To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;

It´s a literal judgment. Sinners will be slain.

Luk 19:26  For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.
Luk 19:27  But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

Just like in the OT (1 Sam 15:33, 1 Kings 18:40)

You got to Revelation. That sword is not just His word, but also a fiery weapon that slays.

Psa 7:11  God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.
Psa 7:12  If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he hath bent his bow, and made it ready.
Psa 7:13  He hath also prepared for him the instruments of death; he ordaineth his arrows against the persecutors.

Psa 63:9  But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth.
Psa 63:10  They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes.

Isa 27:1  In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.

Isa 31:8  Then shall the Assyrian fall with the sword, not of a mighty man; and the sword, not of a mean man, shall devour him: but he shall flee from the sword, and his young men shall be discomfited.

Isa 34:5  For my sword shall be bathed in heaven: behold, it shall come down upon Idumea, and upon the people of my curse, to judgment.

Isa 49:1  Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The LORD hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name.
Isa 49:2  And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me;

Isa 66:16  For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.

Vengeance: - 2nd Advent all the way. (2 Thess. 1:8; Heb 10:30) Deut. 32:35, 41, 43; Is. 34:8; 59:17

Heathen: As in Matthew 25; Joel 3:2; Psalms 2:1, 8; 33:10; 46:10; 59:5; 79:6; 98:2....

Punishments: Literal. Not metaphorical. Luke 19:27; Matthew 25:41; Rev. 20:4 as the 12 Apostles sit on thrones Matthew 19:28.

Christians, from this age will judge angels, according to the New Test (1 Cor. 6:3)

To bind their kings with chains: - Joel 3:6-8; What about Matthew 22:13?

Some cross refs for your consideration.

God bless,

calvary

Psa 149:6  Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;
Psa 149:7  To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;

It´s a literal judgment. Sinners will be slain.

Luk 19:26  For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.
Luk 19:27  But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

Just like in the OT (1 Sam 15:33, 1 Kings 18:40)

You got to Revelation. That sword is not just His word, but also a fiery weapon that slays.

Psa 7:11  God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.
Psa 7:12  If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he hath bent his bow, and made it ready.
Psa 7:13  He hath also prepared for him the instruments of death; he ordaineth his arrows against the persecutors.

Psa 63:9  But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth.
Psa 63:10  They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes.

Isa 27:1  In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.

Isa 31:8  Then shall the Assyrian fall with the sword, not of a mighty man; and the sword, not of a mean man, shall devour him: but he shall flee from the sword, and his young men shall be discomfited.

Isa 34:5  For my sword shall be bathed in heaven: behold, it shall come down upon Idumea, and upon the people of my curse, to judgment.

Isa 49:1  Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The LORD hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name.
Isa 49:2  And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me;

Isa 66:16  For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.

Vengeance: - 2nd Advent all the way. (2 Thess. 1:8; Heb 10:30) Deut. 32:35, 41, 43; Is. 34:8; 59:17

Heathen: As in Matthew 25; Joel 3:2; Psalms 2:1, 8; 33:10; 46:10; 59:5; 79:6; 98:2....

Punishments: Literal. Not metaphorical. Luke 19:27; Matthew 25:41; Rev. 20:4 as the 12 Apostles sit on thrones Matthew 19:28.

Christians, from this age will judge angels, according to the New Test (1 Cor. 6:3)

To bind their kings with chains: - Joel 3:6-8; What about Matthew 22:13?

Some cross refs for your consideration.

God bless,

calvary

Thank you.

I would mention that God uses different swords at different times.

For example the great sword in the seal judgments. It is nuclear weapons which God causes man to use on each other. Jeremiah 25:29-33 when evil goes from nation to nation and great whirlwinds are lifted up.

Edited by Eric Stahl

Eric, right now our weapons are not carnal but spiritual as is the armor of God in Ephesian 6. But the day shall come when our weapons will be carnal. This will take place at the battle of Armageddon.

ASongOfDegrees,

Yes, the two-edged sword put in our hands to kill the heathen will be real or carnal as you called them. Jesus will lead us to Armageddon and it will be our honor to kill the army of antichrist.

Thinking I have to agree with Mike and Dave as well.  On that day, it appears that it is Christ's sword (his word) with which the nations shall be slain.  It appears that his saints will have no part in it.  Looking closely, I see that:
Rev 19:
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. (Christ's is dipped in blood)
14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. (The Saint's linen is clean.)
15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations:
21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.
The saint's of heaven are all present of course, but God will have all the glory, referencing the Book of Joel:
There are no acts of violence actually committed by the saints themselves as far as I can see.  Indeed, Joel 2 mentions that they will be attacked...
     verse 8: Neither shall one thrust another; they shall walk every one in his path: and [when] they fall upon the sword, they shall not be wounded.  
But I see no mention of the Saint's actually doing the deeds.  Indeed, the saints are present as an army, and they go forth perfectly, and they will be attacked but Revelation seems to be the defining view, and in chapter 19, there seems to be only onw sword.
This would seem to be God's MO here, notice the symbolism of his sword as his Word in chapter 3

The LORD also shall roar out of Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the heavens and the earth shall shake: but the LORD [will be] the hope of his people, and the strength of the children of Israel.

I could be wrong of course, maybe someone else can shed light on this.

Thinking I have to agree with Mike and Dave as well.  On that day, it appears that it is Christ's sword (his word) with which the nations shall be slain.  It appears that his saints will have no part in it.  Looking closely, I see that:
Rev 19:
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. (Christ's is dipped in blood)
14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. (The Saint's linen is clean.)
15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations:
The saint's of heaven are all present of course, but God will have all the glory, referencing the Book of Joel:
There are no acts of violence actually committed by the saints themselves as far as I can see.  Indeed, Joel 2 mentions that they will be attacked...
     verse 8: Neither shall one thrust another; they shall walk every one in his path: and [when] they fall upon the sword, they shall not be wounded.  
But I see no mention of the Saint's actually doing the deeds.  Indeed, the saints are present as an army, and they go forth perfectly, and they will be attacked but Revelation seems to be the defining view, and in chapter 19, there seems to be only onw sword.
This would seem to be God's MO here, notice the symbolism of his sword as his Word in chapter 3

The LORD also shall roar out of Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the heavens and the earth shall shake: but the LORD [will be] the hope of his people, and the strength of the children of Israel.

Heir of Salvation,

Notice it will be the honor of the saints in glory to execute the heathen. If Jesus uses his words to kill them, then it will be his honor. But if his sword is his word or command then it can be our honor.

9 To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.

I've never read such nonsense. The OT is concerned  with real military action, conquest of the land etc.

The New Covenant Scriptures are concerned with the new covenant in the blood of Jesus. There is no suggestion in the NT that believers will engage in physical warfare. The Lord's two edged sword is the sword of his mouth - his word.

The whole idea of a future tribulation, rapture, slaughter of 2/3 of the Jews, millennium, etc is a fabrication based on the antiscriptural writings of Scofield. Darby, & their followers. They impose OT prophecy on the future, ignoring the way Jesus & the  Apostles interpreted it.

NT prophecy is primarily concerned with the last days, end times, they were living in. Those prophecies were fulfilled with the AD 70 destruction. Jesus repeatedly denounced this generation & that generation perished in their rebellion. You cannot read the opening chapter of Revelation without seeing that it is written for John's readers - companions in tribulation & for their present comfort & encouragement.

Paul spells out very clearly what will happen when Jesus returns:

2 Thes. 1:Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;

And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Please - read the OT with NT guidance & not impose carnal interpretation on them. As Paul wrote:

1 Cor. 1:

But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

I've never read such nonsense. The OT is concerned  with real military action, conquest of the land etc.

The New Covenant Scriptures are concerned with the new covenant in the blood of Jesus. There is no suggestion in the NT that believers will engage in physical warfare. The Lord's two edged sword is the sword of his mouth - his word.

The whole idea of a future tribulation, rapture, slaughter of 2/3 of the Jews, millennium, etc is a fabrication based on the antiscriptural writings of Scofield. Darby, & their followers. They impose OT prophecy on the future, ignoring the way Jesus & the  Apostles interpreted it.

NT prophecy is primarily concerned with the last days, end times, they were living in. Those prophecies were fulfilled with the AD 70 destruction. Jesus repeatedly denounced this generation & that generation perished in their rebellion. You cannot read the opening chapter of Revelation without seeing that it is written for John's readers - companions in tribulation & for their present comfort & encouragement.

Paul spells out very clearly what will happen when Jesus returns:

2 Thes. 1:Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;

And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Please - read the OT with NT guidance & not impose carnal interpretation on them. As Paul wrote:

1 Cor. 1:

But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

Covenanter,

I will try to help you understand.

You said the following;

The New Covenant Scriptures are concerned with the new covenant in the blood of Jesus. There is no suggestion in the NT that believers will engage in physical warfare. The Lord's two edged sword is the sword of his mouth - his word. (((Yes, Jesus will give the command for the saints to kill the heathen at Armageddon.)))

The whole idea of a future tribulation, rapture, slaughter of 2/3 of the Jews, millennium, etc is a fabrication based on the antiscriptural writings of Scofield. Darby, & their followers. They impose OT prophecy on the future, ignoring the way Jesus & the Apostles interpreted it.

(((I would like to know when the mountain burning as fire was cast into the sea and killed 1/3 of all the sea life in the world , since you think the tribulation is over. Revelation 8:8-9)))

I have never studied Darby or Scofield’s books, but I have studied the books of the bible ,which they have studied. If I have come to the same conclusions as them, that would be understandable.

NT prophecy is primarily concerned with the last days, end times, they were living in. Those prophecies were fulfilled with the AD 70 destruction.

Revelation 1:18-19

18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

19 Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;

(((You didn’t read far enough.)))

Edited by Eric Stahl

Rev 19:

Yes, and HIS SWORD (aka word) THAT PROCEEDS FROM HIS MOUTH WILL BE OUR COMMANDMENT. Just as it is today. We take up the sword which is obedience to his word.  

Why are people refusing to believe Joel 2 which speaks of an army killing for God in "the day of the Lord"? An army is raised to kill at the command of it's king not to just sit there while the king does all the killing. I know this is a disturbing thought to many modern day Christians but it is what it is. Maybe if we really understood how wicked this world is in the eyes of God we might understand this more (being born and stuck in the middle of this mess you tend to become jaded and lose perspective).

Remember, the Lord is the God who condemned the whole human race because someone ate a piece of fruit they weren't suppose to.

Revelation 2:26,27

[26] And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
[27] And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

We shall be given a rod of iron just like Jesus Christ. A rod of iron is used to dash nations and people.

The Son of God was meek and mild at his first coming. The sons of God are to be meek and mild.

The Son of God comes the second time for blood., The sons of God come the second time for blood.

Edited by ASongOfDegrees

Rev 19 is pretty clear in it's Wording, and I personally think it is making the final point that the Lord doesn't need us - he wants us, and there is a huge difference between those two things.

That is not to say that the saints, or some of them at least are not used in the way some describe here, just not in the Rev 19 battle.

Rev 19 is pretty clear in it's Wording, and I personally think it is making the final point that the Lord doesn't need us - he wants us, and there is a huge difference between those two things.

That is not to say that the saints, or some of them at least are not used in the way some describe here, just not in the Rev 19 battle.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places].

(eph 6:12)

Come on! Context! The context SPECIFICALLY SAYS our enemiy we fight is NOT flesh and blood but spirit. We are NOT seen anywhere being sent to kill the heathen-Rev is clear that it is Christ alone as conquoring King, that dos it. Joel 2 is not the saints executing judgment, but the armies of the antichrist attacking Israel. That's why Is real is told to proclaim a fast-Verse 20 says it is the northern army-the armies mentioned in Zechariah 14:2&3, the armies attacking Jerusalem when the Lord returns.

Psalm 149 is speaking of Israel, a nation always at war with the heathen nations. Get over yourselves; the battles we fight are spiritual, our enemies, power of spiritual darkness. The Lord wil not need our help to destroy the nations-He will do it. In fact, He will do it TWICE, by Himself, in Rev 19:21 and rev 20:9, and nowhere are the saints seen doing any of the fighting-it is Jesus with the sword proceding from His mouth, and God seding fire from heaven. He doesn't need us, and scripture never says we will except for what we read into it..