• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Halloween?

Do you celebrate Halloween?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you celebrate Halloween?

• No, it is occultic.
    • Halloween?
    • No, (other reasons)
    • Yes, I see nothing wrong with it.

• Members

[quote="dwayner79"]Do you not fly because a plane could go down?

Do you not drive because you could get in an accident?

Do you not go on rides because they could fail?

Do you not __________ because it could in some freak accident, cause your demise?

Common sense does not react to this isolated tragedy with an abandonment of the activity [size=50](unless your a liberal democrat)[/size]. I imagine there is more to this story then the little bit listed here, but the details are not important. Its tragic and heart-breaking when something like this happens, but supposing this makes Trick-or-Treating somehow more dangerous is really over the top.

RE: Halloween in general:
Frankly, when I was a kid, everyone "celebrated" halloween. Our neighborhood would shine. Most houses the people dressed up to greet you at the door. There were laughs and fun all around. People knew their neighbors, and talked with them. It was like a final get together before winter. Amazing how it takes a "pagan" holiday to get the community to open their doors and be friendly to each other. Whatever Halloween was, our society defines this holiday as a time when kids go door to door and ask for candy, nothing more, nothing less. I find the recent slow of trick or treaters a bad sign for our society. I suppose that if they were rejecting it for religious reasons, then that would be fine, but they are not. They are rejecting it because its "too dangerous" (tainted candy and what not) or "no fun". What a sad sad state of affairs for our society. People should be friendly. People should engage their neighbors. They should have an open fun time with one another, and they can't. I think that its rather telling of the state our communities are in.[/quote]

:goodpost:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

[quote="dwayner79"] Whatever Halloween was, our society defines this holiday as a time when kids go door to door and ask for candy, nothing more, nothing less.[/quote]

No. It is a day to rejoice in that which is evil. All you have to do is walk into almost any retail store and look at the decorations to see that. There is nothing good about death, murder, gore, skulls, witches and demons. No Christian has any justification to whitewash that. No Christian has any reason to celebrate "holloween". It isn't about the candy. If you want to give out candy do it on resurection sunday. There is something worth celebrating.

• Members

[quote="Revelation3:20"][quote="dwayner79"] Whatever Halloween was, our society defines this holiday as a time when kids go door to door and ask for candy, nothing more, nothing less.[/quote]

No. It is a day to rejoice in that which is evil. All you have to do is walk into almost any retail store and look at the decorations to see that. There is nothing good about death, murder, gore, skulls, witches and demons. No Christian has any justification to whitewash that. No Christian has any reason to celebrate "holloween". It isn't about the candy. If you want to give out candy do it on resurection sunday. There is something worth celebrating.[/quote]

I don't think Dwayne was trying to justify Halloween, just pointing that at one time it was a community activity that most partook in and it was about fun and friendship with no one thinking about wickedness.

Until I became a Christian I had never heard of Halloween being about anything but having fun and getting candy...never. For many, the same is true.

That's not to justify Halloween or claim that Christians should embrace it, that's just the way it was.

• Members
I think halloween is an incredible opportunity to pass out Gospel tracts and reach children. When the souls come right to your door why not try to reach them?

Agreed, how many tracts were you able to hand out this year? I was sick in bed and didn't answer the door.....

We only got 3 kids. The grandma next door brought her toddler over who was dressed as a mouse. We also got 2 boys...about 8 and 9. I drove over to my old neighborhood and gave 3 neighbors the "Harvest Bags" with the Gospel CD and candy in them.

All in all...it was a very quiet night for a Friday evening.

Agreed, how many tracts were you able to hand out this year? I was sick in bed and didn't answer the door.....

:hijack: Hey, trc...do you have the flu with the sore throat that is going around? My hubby had it the other day.

:hijack: Yep. That is exactly what my husband had. He had such a hard time sleeping on Saturday night, because he was so congested.

I hope you feel better, trc. :smile

• Members

Live a simple life that is transparent, not complex, it can be done, if it couldn't this verse would not be in the Bible.

21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

1 Thess 5:21-22 (KJV)

Notice, about the evil part it says to prove all things, be sure it right, that there is not even the hint of evil in it, if there be even a hint of evil in it, don't part take of it, hold fast to that which is good.

1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Romans 12:1-2 (KJV)

But to do that, it take sacrifice, now that is something we don't want to have no part of. But the truth is its reasonable, reasonable for God to ask and expect this out of us. Of course only those who truly want to follow Jesus will do so, most people will not deny their self, nor their family in order to be completely free of the appearance of evil.

Yes, and to do so is good, acceptable, and the perfect will of God. If we say it can't be done, all we are doing is trying to fool our self.

This also ties in with we are to be a peculiar people.

9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

1 Peter 2:9-12 (KJV)

14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Titus 2:14-15 (KJV)

Its quite clear, we are not to be like the people of this world, there is suppose to be much difference in us and them, peculiar is different, we are not to be covetous, if we can shed being covetous we can make a big difference in our witness to the lost and our good works, which they shall see will truly make a difference in some of them.

Remember, in heaven we will be walking on what the lost in this world are covetous for, gold, they want gold so they can have all the material things they can get their hands on, or the better word that we understand is money to try and buy happiness.

• Members
Common sense does not react to this isolated tragedy with an abandonment of the activity (unless your a liberal democrat). I imagine there is more to this story then the little bit listed here, but the details are not important. Its tragic and heart-breaking when something like this happens, but supposing this makes Trick-or-Treating somehow more dangerous is really over the top.

ROFL!! :clapping: I love your "hidden" message in small print. Just had to put it in there didn't you! :frog