• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why Not Stick With The Original Melody? Huh?

heartstrings

• Moderators

Aren't you throwing in an assumption when you say no covering meant short hair, or little covering?

Paul did not say, if her hair be short. He said "If she have NO COVERING. No covering does not mean little covering. It means no

covering at all..

If this is so, then men have to be bald to be right with God, but we know that not to be the case. Again, just read the entire passage on the subject-it all refers time and again to hair, and particularly, length. If it is not the covering, what in the wide-wide world of sports does it have to do with the subject matter at all? I am getting my 'assumptopn' from the fact that it says what it says. If a man is uncoverd by having short hair, then a woman is covered by having long hair, exactly what Paul says when he states "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." When we read this, where do we get an idea that the covering is anything but hair?

The word "uncovered" in verse five is translated from the Greek "akatakaluptos." The word does not mean hair, it means "veil," or "covering." Yes, and its a verb, not a noun-it speaks of the state of BEING uncovered and is irrelevant to the subject-it merely refers to being uncovered or unveiled, and if Paul means the hair is the covering, like he says it is, then it would apply just fine..

Likewise, in verse 15' the word "covering" is translated from the Greek "peribolaion," it means, "mantle," "veil," "covering," "vesture." "Peribolaion" is speaking of a type of garment, specifically, a hair covering. TheGreek word used for covering in verse 15 is found only one other time in the Bible... in relation to a garment! Hebrews 1:12. The context reveals the it is speaking of a garment. Indeed, you have just argued against your point,and made mine, because Paul says that her HAIR is given to her for a covering, (peribolaion). Her hair IS the covering, given to her by God. You just made the point yourself. It doesn't say her hair is given to her as a piece of cloth, because its hair. Her hair IS the veil or mantle, and that it is long is clear, for it should be long enough to be thrown about herself as a mantle or veil.  

The woman was to have her hair covered when she prayed or prophesied. No, she is to have her HEAD covered, and her HEAD does not refer to her physical noggin, but her husband, who is her head. (Vs 3).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I pray that I am not sounding rude in this, or disrespectful to any. Please understand where I am coming from:

I did my Master's Thesis on this very subject, which actually began as a letter-based discussion with a Mennonite friend. Beginning by using just what the Bible said, and what their own booklets on the 'covering', and expanding my research into history and art, I came to my conclusions, trying to put everything together.

After all was said and done, while my basic position hadn't changed, my understanding of it from a cultural, historical and biblical position expanded. It was a lot of fun, as well, and I learned some really intersting things, one of which was that, thos catacombs that it is reputed Christians hid and met in to escape persecution? It probably didn't actually happen. I went on some sites and read some books that touted the 'Christian artwork' on the walls, and what I found were Greek and Roman mytholigical art, and lots of pictures of people buried there. Not much else, that I have seen.

But that's another subject altogether.

• Members

God won't use evil to reach someone.  He'll use Holy means.  The scriptures teach that we're to separate from the likes of CCM because of their false doctrines, wrong associations, the words and the sounds.

We're not supposed be non-judgemental Ma'am.  How else can we reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long-suffering without judging?

The Lord saved me without a bible.  Then I wasted a couple of years with an NIV, those MVs certainly stunt the growth of a Christian and deceive many others, never allowing them to really know Christ as Lord and Savior.

It's wrong to turn a hymn into a rock song.  Ever hear of Elvis or some secular band do it?  If you haven't, don't, it sounds awful and reeks of rebellion and evil.

Your 100% right, God does not use evil to win anyone to Christ.

And its true, a good hymn book is Scriptural, yet not many churches have good hymn books any longer. They've let worldly music into their churches, of course many of those are man made churches, & have nothing to do with Jesus.

Here is an example of good one.

Precious Name

Take the name of Jesus with you, 
child of sorrow and of woe; 
it will joy and comfort give you; 
take it then, where'er you go. 
Precious name, O how sweet! 
Hope of earth and joy of heaven. 

Take the name of Jesus ever, 
as a shield from every snare; 
if temptations round you gather, 
breathe that holy name in prayer. 

O the precious name of Jesus! 
How it thrills our souls with joy, 
when his loving arms receive us, 
and his songs our tongues employ! 

At the name of Jesus bowing, 
falling prostrate at his feet, 
King of kings in heaven we'll crown him,
when our journey is complete. 

Sad, many think they're following the one with the Precious Name, yet they're following & singing about a jesus that's not in the pages of the "Old Black Book."

• Moderators

Your 100% right, God does not use evil to win anyone to Christ.

And its true, a good hymn book is Scriptural, yet not many churches have good hymn books any longer. They've let worldly music into their churches, of course many of those are man made churches, & have nothing to do with Jesus.

Here is an example of good one.

Precious Name

Sad, many think they're following the one with the Precious Name, yet they're following & singing about a jesus that's not in the pages of the "Old Black Book."

Maybe I'm missing your point here on Jesus, because, while a bit light on its theology, obviously more of a fluff song, I'm not seeing any real bad theology, either.

Now, for a song with some really bad facts, try The Battle Hymn of the Republic. Written for one reason: to swell the patriotic pride of the hearers, and make them think themselves holy and godly.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord

He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored

He hath loosed the fateful lightning, (is he Zeus?) of his terrible, swift sword

His truth is marching on

(Chorus-we all know it)

I have seen Him in the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps,

They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps;

I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps:

His day is marching on.

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel:

"As ye deal with my contemners, so with you my grace shall deal;

Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel,

Since God is marching on.

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;

He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment-seat:

Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet!

Our God is marching on.

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,

With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me.

As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,

While God is marching on.

He is coming like the glory of the morning on the wave,

He is Wisdom to the mighty, He is Succour to the brave,

So the world shall be His footstool, and the soul of Time His slave,

Our God is marching on

There is nothing good about this song-Christ was born among the lilies?  A fiery gospel writ in burnish steel? An altar built in the camp of the army? Lots of OT inagry and Revelation imagery, a gospel of condemnation anda grace of battle?  The union army representing the coming of Christ? What a mess! 

• Members

Maybe I'm missing your point here on Jesus, because, while a bit light on its theology, obviously more of a fluff song, I'm not seeing any real bad theology, either.

Now, for a song with some really bad facts, try The Battle Hymn of the Republic. Written for one reason: to swell the patriotic pride of the hearers, and make them think themselves holy and godly.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord

He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored

He hath loosed the fateful lightning, (is he Zeus?) of his terrible, swift sword

His truth is marching on

(Chorus-we all know it)

I have seen Him in the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps,

They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps;

I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps:

His day is marching on.

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel:

"As ye deal with my contemners, so with you my grace shall deal;

Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel,

Since God is marching on.

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;

He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment-seat:

Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet!

Our God is marching on.

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,

With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me.

As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,

While God is marching on.

He is coming like the glory of the morning on the wave,

He is Wisdom to the mighty, He is Succour to the brave,

So the world shall be His footstool, and the soul of Time His slave,

Our God is marching on

There is nothing good about this song-Christ was born among the lilies?  A fiery gospel writ in burnish steel? An altar built in the camp of the army? Lots of OT inagry and Revelation imagery, a gospel of condemnation anda grace of battle?  The union army representing the coming of Christ? What a mess! 

I agree, the song you posted is not biblical, its a worldly American song glorifying war & fighting, God does not glorify war & fighting. We are to glorify our Savior, & not man.

Yet the one I did was & is.

True

True.

True.

True.

• Members

The Gospel is present in the NIV, just as it is to one extent or another in all the MVs I've seen, so why couldn't one get saved from reading the Gospel in the NIV?

One can follow the "Romans Road" or use other means of presenting the Gospel using an NIV.

Did you know the entire Bible from front to back and every bit of who and what Jesus was before you were saved? Such isn't necessary. All that's necessary is for one to allow their heart to be moved and prepared by the Holy Ghost and to hear or read the Gospel message of salvation and accept Christ as their Saviour. A Bible in hand, or being used, isn't even necessary.

Yes it is, yet false teaching is also present, & false teaching can lead one away from the Lord, & if led in that direction they can be very difficult to recover, & get back on the strait road.. 

• Members

God won't use evil to reach someone.  He'll use Holy means.  The scriptures teach that we're to separate from the likes of CCM because of their false doctrines, wrong associations, the words and the sounds.

We're not supposed be non-judgemental Ma'am.  How else can we reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long-suffering without judging?

The Lord saved me without a bible.  Then I wasted a couple of years with an NIV, those MVs certainly stunt the growth of a Christian and deceive many others, never allowing them to really know Christ as Lord and Savior.

It's wrong to turn a hymn into a rock song.  Ever hear of Elvis or some secular band do it?  If you haven't, don't, it sounds awful and reeks of rebellion and evil.

I agree, & I suppose several have done so.

I feel sure Almost Persuaded by David Houston was inspired by this old hymn, Almost Persuaded.

“Almost persuaded” now to believe;
“Almost persuaded” Christ to receive;
Seems now some soul to say,
“Go, Spirit, go Thy way,
Some more convenient day
on Thee I’ll call.” 

“Almost persuaded,” come, come today;
“Almost persuaded,” turn not away;
Jesus invites you here,
Angels are ling’ring near,
Prayers rise from hearts so dear;
O wand’rer, come! 

“Almost persuaded,” harvest is past!
“Almost persuaded,” doom comes at last;
“Almost” cannot avail;
“Almost” is but to fail!
Sad, sad that bitter wail—
“Almost—but lost!”

Although I do not believe I have ever heard this song, Almost Persuaded sang. I suppose the one who wrote the hymn above was inspired to write this song because of this verse.

Ac 26:28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

I feel sure many other worldly singers were inspired by hymns & or the Bible to write worldly songs & that many of the worldly singing stars got their start singing in church services as a youth, & many of them including Elvis had a soft place in their heart for such songs till their death. And they did a good job of singing many of them, & sad to say they messed up many of them.

I used to love Country Western music, & the wife & i attended to hear Country Western music in an old theater in our home town. For a long time they would sing several old hymns, but stopped. Come to find out they stopped singing hymns because of the local church of Christ Church in town, they got on to them, & 2 or 3 that usually sing & played in the band were members of that local coC. The local coC said, "Its a sin to sing hymns using music, but it just fine & dandy to sing any country song you want to sing, & to listen to them.  Oh, by the way, I will not listen to country music anymore, nor any other secular songs, my Lord convicted me it was wrong to listen to such songs that glorify adultery, drinking, drugs, humans, & so on.

• Members

Her hair being her glory, I can agree with. Her hair a covering, I cannot for the reason stated above. If she have no hair, let her be shorn or shaven.

What are they going to shave if she has no hair?

If a woman can't grow hair, them God is not going to hold that against her. So just read the Scriptures & believe it. Don't get side tracked by human wisdom, logic, & thinking. And that is exactly what is done when such question are asked.  No put down meant saying that, we all have our problems with human wisdom, logic, & thinking, but we need to overcome it accepting wisdom from above.

1Co 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
1Co 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
1Co 2:6 ¶ Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
1Co 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
1Co 2:8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

1Co 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

• Members

:th_tiphat:

Why not tell him that those who do wrong should not be our example, & just because some seems to do wrong & thing go well for them that does not mean we are to do wrong as they do? Plus those who do wrong will not get by with it, & Christ is to be our example, we are to followers of Him.

• Members

Revelation 9

7And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men. 8And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions. 9And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle. 10And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months.

Maybe they have a DNA tests to distinguish "men's hair" from "hair of women"  but I'm sure they didn't have access to that in the 1st century. So what could possibly distinguish the "locusts" hair as being "the hair of women? Length is the only one I know.

• Members

We have the same problem with Christian radio were we live.

When there's something good to listen to on one of the so called Christian stations, I will listen, if not off goes the radio.

Generally on our short drive to church on Sunday morning we listen to a local Baptist pastor on a local station. I like most of what he says, the one thing I do not care for he seems stuck on bringing up his salvation experience. Nothing wrong with that except that he brings it up way to often, & I feel sure like me, everyone in that church has it memorized by now. The Sunday's he does not mention it, he is pretty good.

I think many areas of the USA and world do, as well, Brother Jerry.  I turn off the radio, too.  It really grates on my nerves, as I had been convicted of CCM some time ago. 

It is nice that you have a Baptist preacher you can listen to before church, even if he repeats himself.  :icon_smile:   If the song on the FM radio station is CCM, then we turn to the AM talk station.  Although, much of the time the radio isn't on.  My husband and I talk to oneanother before service.  Our drive is a bit longer to church, so we try to prepare our hearts and minds for the service.

Joe, my husband, suggested to me the other day that I go to a the half price bookstore to purchase some new gospel CD's.  If they don't have them, I will have to purchase them at the bookstore.

• Moderators

I agree, the song you posted is not biblical, its a worldly American song glorifying war & fighting, God does not glorify war & fighting. We are to glorify our Savior, & not man.

Yet the one I did was & is.

True

True.

True.

True.

Ah-I'm sorry, I misunderstood you-I thought you said it was a good example of a bad hymn. My error. I see then we agree that it IS a good example of a good song..

• Members

I think many areas of the USA and world do, as well, Brother Jerry.  I turn off the radio, too.  It really grates on my nerves, as I had been convicted of CCM some time ago. 

It is nice that you have a Baptist preacher you can listen to before church, even if he repeats himself.  :icon_smile:   If the song on the FM radio station is CCM, then we turn to the AM talk station.  Although, much of the time the radio isn't on.  My husband and I talk to oneanother before service.  Our drive is a bit longer to church, so we try to prepare our hearts and minds for the service.

Joe, my husband, suggested to me the other day that I go to a the half price bookstore to purchase some new gospel CD's.  If they don't have them, I will have to purchase them at the bookstore.

What I would like to have is plain hymns on a CD with only a piano playing. To many of them have big band music, that I do not care for.

I've got some with the big loud music, I never listen to them.

Archived