• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why Not Stick With The Original Melody? Huh?

heartstrings

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

These rock concerts are all about self-gratification and "feeling" God and feeling spiritual.  It has no basis in Scripture other than to turn away from it, yet these goats flock to it because they were never scripturally born-again, still living for themselves and not Christ.

• Members

I have no problem with it. Not my style of music, but hymns are not scripture. They are open to  interpretation. One of my favorite songs is "At the Cross", by the Sensational Nightingales, which is not the traditional "At the Cross", but is a conflation of two different hymns and set to a different beat.

• Members

I have no problem with it. Not my style of music, but hymns are not scripture. They are open to  interpretation. One of my favorite songs is "At the Cross", by the Sensational Nightingales, which is not the traditional "At the Cross", but is a conflation of two different hymns and set to a different beat.

You should, it is contrary to God's Word.

• Members

Unfortunately, you have me at a disadvantage. Because anything I say on this issue will be seen as promoting contemporary music, I'm not really able to say much about my views on this. So I'll just say I disagree, but respect your right to your opinion and leave it at that.

All I'll say about it is that I think it's funny that that many people get so upset about it. It's about the most un-rock and roll-like music I think I've ever heard. The way I've heard the hymn played traditonally (and, incidentally, it's one of my favorite hymns, which may be why I don't like this version) is in a 4/4 march-like time, which I would think would be much worse.

• Members

It's full on rock-n-roll, which of course takes many shapes.  This might be classified as soft-rock.  Whatever it's called, it's surely evil and not of God.  There are biblical principles and commands that this group, song and the entire CCM movement violate.  They are not in accord with scripture and therefore Christians are told to separate from them.

• Members

What's with the goofy t-shirts under the sport coats, anyway....

I'm amazed at how many, many Baptists listen to Casting Crowns.    Its worldly music set to Christian words.

I will agree it is difficult to put a black and white definition to "good music" and "bad music"......but if a person thinks the only bad part about rock music is the words, then its a discussion that you're not really going to be able to have, anyway. 

• Members

It's not difficult once you train yourself what to listen for and if you practice separation.  Most songs can be ignored on the doctrine of separation alone.  Learning the Godly structure of music from the Bible will help you with the 1% that sneak through and more importantly, help you choose good, Christ-honoring music to listen to, even secular.

• Members

Umm...I wouldn't call this rock 'n roll. It's much closer to contemporary country music. Very bland IMO. Doesn't do much for my flesh or spirit. 

I don't know what I'd call it but no doubt much of what they call country music today is much more rockin than that song. A few years ago I heard this song sang by a pastor and a pastors wife. They didn't use this music but it sounded nice when they sang it.

We were given a Southern Gospel DVD and that form of music has sure changed alot since I was younger! Many of the songs on that DVD were much more instrumentally heavy than in the above video.

While I wouldn't want to go to that concert above, there are some of our brothers/sisters in Christ who do.

It also shouldn't surprise us if there are some at those concerts who might not be saved or who might act or dress differently than others; we see the same thing in many churches.

Every believer isn't at the same point of maturity in Christ as everyone else. Had there been such music as this when I was first saved I might have listened to it. I've seen many believers over the years who listened to things at an earlier point in their walk with the Lord that they didn't later. I've seen many who once read MVs but at some point over the years they turned to the KJB. Some used to watch a lot of TV, some now only watch a little and some don't watch any today.

Many years ago I heard the song "Thy Word" as someone in a program at a park sang. A little bit of the song stuck in my head and I would sing it to myself sometimes. It wasn't until a long while later that I found out those few lyrics I remembered had come from an Amy Grant song. That kind of makes me wonder how many other songs I've heard over the years may have similar origins but one wouldn't know from hearing them sang acapela or to a piano.

Myself, I like several old hymns, I like some Bluegrass Gospel, some old-time Southern Gospel, some of the old-time country style Gospel, Quartets, and music along those lines. At church I love it when my favorite piano player sits at the piano and starts playing one of my favorite hymns!

• 6 months later...
  • Members

It's full on rock-n-roll, which of course takes many shapes.  This might be classified as soft-rock.  Whatever it's called, it's surely evil and not of God.  There are biblical principles and commands that this group, song and the entire CCM movement violate.  They are not in accord with scripture and therefore Christians are told to separate from them.

This is probably how original ancient music in Biblical times sounded like.  Doesn't sound like CCM or our hymns of our day.  As beautiful as it is...let's see if you would listen to this every day.  http://bobb-cypressgrovebluescom.blogspot.com/2009/08/what-did-songs-of-bible-originally.html

• Members

I don't know what I'd call it but no doubt much of what they call country music today is much more rockin than that song. A few years ago I heard this song sang by a pastor and a pastors wife. They didn't use this music but it sounded nice when they sang it.

We were given a Southern Gospel DVD and that form of music has sure changed alot since I was younger! Many of the songs on that DVD were much more instrumentally heavy than in the above video.

While I wouldn't want to go to that concert above, there are some of our brothers/sisters in Christ who do.

It also shouldn't surprise us if there are some at those concerts who might not be saved or who might act or dress differently than others; we see the same thing in many churches.

Every believer isn't at the same point of maturity in Christ as everyone else. Had there been such music as this when I was first saved I might have listened to it. I've seen many believers over the years who listened to things at an earlier point in their walk with the Lord that they didn't later. I've seen many who once read MVs but at some point over the years they turned to the KJB. Some used to watch a lot of TV, some now only watch a little and some don't watch any today.

Many years ago I heard the song "Thy Word" as someone in a program at a park sang. A little bit of the song stuck in my head and I would sing it to myself sometimes. It wasn't until a long while later that I found out those few lyrics I remembered had come from an Amy Grant song. That kind of makes me wonder how many other songs I've heard over the years may have similar origins but one wouldn't know from hearing them sang acapela or to a piano.

Myself, I like several old hymns, I like some Bluegrass Gospel, some old-time Southern Gospel, some of the old-time country style Gospel, Quartets, and music along those lines. At church I love it when my favorite piano player sits at the piano and starts playing one of my favorite hymns!

Oh my!  A piano?  I don't recall a piano as one of the instruments mentioned in the Bible.  Whatever shall we do as Christians who enjoy the piano???  Sorry...I'm being a little sarcastic. Some people are so black and white about issues that aren't even about a person's salvation which I think drive the unsaved away.  So I like whoever responds to "Surrendered".  That person needs to lighten up.  

• Members

They seemed to have ironed out any tune in  the song.  Most people on recordings seem to do that with traditional hymns.

At least one of the audience seemed to be almost in a trance. 

Archived