• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

heartstrings

"power Chords"

The power chord consists of the root note, the 5th, and the 8th. The root is doubled at the octave and the 5th is added (E, B, E for instance). This sound is “powerful” but ambiguous since the 3rd is absent. It is more pleasing to the ear to include the 3rd and 7th notes in a chord.

When I arrange music, I haven't chosen to use a power chord for years because to me they’re boring and not very musical. I don’t mean this in a condescending way, but as musicians progress in their ability, this chord voicing is avoided. In fact I rarely double the root unless it’s the melody note and I often drop the 5 out of the voicings I use in my arrangements.

A power chord is perhaps analogous to the word “aint.” Overused and not going away any time soon.

Yes, they're very easy to play. I must confess that I use them sometimes but they sound much less powerful without a "fuzz" distortion.

This is true. I won't say I "never" use them but it is quite rare. I also don't prefer to double any notes with octaves in harmony.

I checked your profile and noticed you're a guitarist. You may benefit from a lesson I wrote a few weeks back on Drop 2 voicings

They really open up new avenues for creativity.

Ya lost me there somewhere when you started talking technical like.......

I have heard of power chords, but have no idea what it means....

I play mostly by ear, and "follow" not read music.

I have a 12 string acoustic. ;)

Ya lost me there somewhere when you started talking technical like.......

I have heard of power chords, but have no idea what it means....

I play mostly by ear, and "follow" not read music.

I have a 12 string acoustic. ;)

I love the sound of a 12 string.  They're great for strumming.  I don't want to come across as too techie (I've been transmogrified by programming). If you have a question, I'd be glad to answer you.

As I mentioned the E power chord simply E - G - E.

It’s the first note, the fifth, and the octave of a diatonic scale - sorry coulnd't resist. :P

I've seen scales......

They are on the outside of many of the fish I've caught! :D

I "pick" my 12 for specials, but strum for Sunday school songs and hymns.
Not very well mind you :D

A lot of rock and punk band use power cords. Especially the bands called a "power trio". I don't believe that this automatically means you can never play the cords. I guess it's just about how often you play them and for what purpose IMO.

Edited by ASongOfDegrees

I've seen scales......

They are on the outside of many of the fish I've caught! :D

Yeah, and all this talk of power cords has me wonderin' where mine is?   :scratchchin:

But seriously, this is good stuff, if not done correctly it is dishonoring to the Lord.

Dave, I recently installed a set of Elixir nanowebs on my 12 string. Strumming it is nice, but I like to fingerpick mine.

I'm not the fanboy type but Elixir nanowebs really are the best strings I've come across. They last longer than regular strings by a long shot and more importantly they have a great tone.

I don't think a ukulele can play a 'power' anything, unless its electric. Though I have been considering teaching myself bass, and getting a Kala UBass, a bass ukulele. Yes, really. They come both acoustic/electric and electric.

I'm not the fanboy type but Elixir nanowebs really are the best strings I've come across. They last longer than regular strings by a long shot and more importantly they have a great tone.

To perfectly honest I get the strings I can afford at the time with basically no regard to who made them.
I will keep my eyes open for these though with the double recommendation.

Actually I don't change my strings anywhere near enough.

By the way, my 12 is a "Fenix" and is about 18 years old.
It was not hugely expensive, but the tone and action is as good as just about any 12 I have played - although not as sweet as the best 6's I have played.
Also have an Ibinez 6 which I bought for my son, which I personally think plays nicer than it's price also.

To perfectly honest I get the strings I can afford...

Also have an Ibinez 6 which I bought for my son, which I personally think plays nicer than it's price also.

Elixir are a few dollars more than some but I change strings far less because they're coated and they retain their "sparkle" much longer. If I'm doing a recording project, brand new Elixirs are a must. It's really not a Chevy vs. Ford thing. IMO, there is something unique about them that sets them apart.

All solid wood (no laminates) + Elixirs = really nice tone.