• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

RSS Robot

Iranian Pastor Told To Recant His Faith Or Else Remain In Prison

I'm sure that we don't have all of the information, but it would be nice for our government to be making a bigger deal than it appears to be making in regards to one of it's citizens being tortured in a hostile country.

No doubt there is much we don't know, as well as much being passed about as information on this that's fabricated, exagerated, guesed at or otherwise inaccurate.

Unfortnately this case isn't something the Obama administration is overly interested in. For the most part the Obama administration has been rather silent regarding the persecution of Christians in Muslim countries in the Middle East and Africa.

If this pastor was in Iran at the leading of the Lord, then he's in God's will and God will work all things together for good in some manner. He should be rejoicing even as was Paul and Silas when they were arrested and abused. We should be praying for him even as those prayed for Peter when he was arrested.

If this pastor went to Iran of his own accord, and not at the leading of the Lord, that was a very foolish thing to do since he knew he would be arrested on sight and what that meant. Even if this is the case, he needs our prayers.

I do hope and pray this pastor is a true, born again follower of Christ and he stands firm for Christ that the Lord's will may be done.

If he had accidentally crossed the border by mistake & captured & treated as a spy would there be interest from the President & our congressmen? ​I suppose them they could take up for him saying he was no spy.

Should they tell them he is not a Christian & ask them to let him go?

One thing for sure he seems to be standing strong on his faith in Jesus & surely someone with a false hope would not take such a stand, would not have the strength nor help of Jesus to have such courage to stand on their faith.

And what should a Christian do in such a situation, renounce their faith & get released of stand strong & suffer the consequences?

According to  my memory, & what it says on wikipedia & free republic about Steve Centanni he converted to Islam in order to get released.

"On August 27, the Palestinian news service Ramattan and FOX News reported[8] that Centanni and Wiig were released unharmed, shortly after a new video was released. In the video, both journalists, wearing beige robes, read statements saying that they had converted to Islam, with Centanni stating "Islam is not just meant for some people; it is the true religion for all people at all times."[8] After being freed, Centanni stated "We were forced to convert to Islam at gunpoint, and don't get me wrong here, I have the highest respect for Islam, and learned a lot of very good things about it, but it was something we felt we had to do, because they had the guns, and we didn't know what the hell was going on."

And an article about it on Free Republic.

Fox News journalist Steve Centanni's credibility is SHOT. He will forever be viewed as "the journalist that converted to Islam" to save his skin and then "unconverted" when he thought he was "safe", and as the "journalist" who praised the terrorists and their cause and told the west that they and Israel are the bad guys and admonished more reporters to “come to Gaza and report on the plight of the poor Palistinians”.

Many in the world are tossed to and fro by the winds of change around them. Whichever the way the wind blows that seems to benefit them they quickly change direction and go that way. One with no faith sees no problem with making false professions for their own sake, regardless of the consequences to others.

No doubt, had this pastor being held in Iran not been a Christian, but simply someone who went to Iran to give some assistance to the needy in the name of humanitarianism the media and the president would be speaking out for him, calling him a wonderful, caring human being that should be released.

The fact this pastor is a Christian trying to actually give of himself in the service of Christ is why the president and media don't want to get involved.

I do not believe that America has the responsibility to go to the aid of every persecuted preacher. I do believe, however, that whenever an American citizen is in national news like this, America has a responsibility to act. Not because the person is a preacher, simply for the fact that he is an American citizen. Imagine how Iran would be acting right now if we were doing that to just a "normal" Iranian citizen, much less an Immam!

Edited to change "a Cleric" to "an Immam"

Edited by Fixation

I do not believe that America has the responsibility to go to the aid of every persecuted preacher. I do believe, however, that whenever an American citizen is in national news like this, America has a responsibility to act. Not because the person is a preacher, simply for the fact that he is an American citizen. Imagine how Iran would be acting right now if we were doing that to just a "normal" Iranian citizen, much less an Immam!

Edited to change "a Cleric" to "an Immam"

What is this country to do, act by going in & taking him from them by force?

Is this country suppose to rescue every Christian if they go to another country doing the work of a Christian when there is a law against it? When we do such aren't we to do so while trusting God to keep us safe. And if its His will he will rescue us as He did Daniel & the 3 Hebrew children. And if He does not rescue us & we lose our life will we not the next moment be in a better place, Heaven?

Don't we know what our country thinks about Christians, & the God & Savior we follow? They are busy kicking both God & Christ out while welcoming Islam saying that its a peaceable honest religion.

I just don't believe the Christian, American or whoever when they go into such a place ought to be thinking about no one taking care if they get placed in jail except for the Lord. And if they call on this country to rescue them are they really trusting God for their safety as did Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego?

Da 3:16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter.
Da 3:17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
Da 3:18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.

What is this country to do, act by going in & taking him from them by force?

Is this country suppose to rescue every Christian if they go to another country doing the work of a Christian when there is a law against it? When we do such aren't we to do so while trusting God to keep us safe. And if its His will he will rescue us as He did Daniel & the 3 Hebrew children. And if He does not rescue us & we lose our life will we not the next moment be in a better place, Heaven?

Don't we know what our country thinks about Christians, & the God & Savior we follow? They are busy kicking both God & Christ out while welcoming Islam saying that its a peaceable honest religion.

I just don't believe the Christian, American or whoever when they go into such a place ought to be thinking about no one taking care if they get placed in jail except for the Lord. And if they call on this country to rescue them are they really trusting God for their safety as did Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego?

Da 3:16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter.
Da 3:17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
Da 3:18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.

You're absolutely right, Jerry. All spiritual things aside, I simply think that the President should openly condemn the actions of the offending country. Regardless of why the person is imprisoned, they are still an American citizen. It would be highly unwise for an over-reaction of waging war every time one of our citizens is arrested and tortured, but condemnation in a public venue would at the very least be warranted.

Similar to church discipline, you first would approach the offender and show him the errors of his way. If and when that fails, you do so with the support of a few other countries. If the offender still hasn't changed their behavior, then an open condemnation of their actions should be given to where the rest of the world is made aware of what is going on. A lot of times these types of situations get resolved when an ally of the offender persuades them to stop doing what they are doing.

Now, bringing the spiritual things back into the picture, you are correct in that any Christian following the path God has set for them should not be relying on outside support to get them out of a pickle. If God sent them there, they're there for a reason. Even if that reason is to go to prison, God will bless those that follow His will. I believe that we should all be praying for this man, in that he stands firm in his conviction and does not become discouraged.

You're absolutely right, Jerry. All spiritual things aside, I simply think that the President should openly condemn the actions of the offending country. Regardless of why the person is imprisoned, they are still an American citizen. It would be highly unwise for an over-reaction of waging war every time one of our citizens is arrested and tortured, but condemnation in a public venue would at the very least be warranted.

Similar to church discipline, you first would approach the offender and show him the errors of his way. If and when that fails, you do so with the support of a few other countries. If the offender still hasn't changed their behavior, then an open condemnation of their actions should be given to where the rest of the world is made aware of what is going on. A lot of times these types of situations get resolved when an ally of the offender persuades them to stop doing what they are doing.

Now, bringing the spiritual things back into the picture, you are correct in that any Christian following the path God has set for them should not be relying on outside support to get them out of a pickle. If God sent them there, they're there for a reason. Even if that reason is to go to prison, God will bless those that follow His will. I believe that we should all be praying for this man, in that he stands firm in his conviction and does not become discouraged.

OK, I agree with you too, our president ought to come out what they're doing is wrong.

I know this to, being as I'm not in his shoes it makes it much easier for me to say what is the right thing to do, & I hope if I was in that situation that I would wholly trust in God, believing that He could free me if that was His will, or if it was not his will to free me that if I died in such a situation I would die having kept my faith totally in Him without renouncing Him.

And, it must be a very difficult time for his wife, can't imagine what she is going though, nor him either.