• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

If You Went To ABC or BJU, You Might Remember These...

• Members

I'd like to ask everyone to pray but if you went to ABC (in the 90s) or BJU (the past several decades :frog ), you might know the Bixby family. The Bixby clan is known for having lots of kids and strong, godly families.

Jonathan and Amy Caldwell Bixby were classmates of mine at ABC and dear friends as well. I was in their wedding.

Jon is a pastor in Colorado and Amy homeschools their 6 children.

Anyway, the following info is what I was told by Jon's sister............Last week, Amy was diagnosed with double metastatic (stage IV) breast cancer. Translation: she has cancer in both breasts and it has spread to the lymph nodes. Prognosis is very, very serious.

While doing tests, the doctor discovered that Amy is pregnant with baby #7 which is a complete surprise. They were finished having children 3 years ago. This also presents the worst possible scenario when dealing with cancer treatment. Jon and Amy have been repeatedly urged by the doctors to abort but they refuse. The doctors say that they can't save both of them. They might be able to take the baby at 30 weeks but they doubt Amy will last that long. The doctors want to do a double mastectomy asap and try to extend her life.

Please pray for this family. Their church has really rallied around them. Pray that God will be glorified in all of this and if He is willing, that He would perform a miracle and heal Amy.

Here is a blog Amy started to keep friends and family updated on her condition. http://amycaldwellbixby.blogspot.com/

Here's a pic of the family:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6996/bixbysaf1.jpg[/img][/url]

• Members

Yeah really...I faced that recently, as my insurance doesn't cover any testing (except one) before the age of 40. Wont' go into detail on this forum, did so on the ladies forum. Seems like it should start at least 35 yo.

I'm fine LOL but it would be nice to know insurance would pay for yearly testing as I'm only 33.

And Jess, I don't know you....never met you.... :wink

That's ok we felt that way as a church a few years ago, we had like three of our missionary wives die within a several year period. We took on my sister and her husband for support and I was like "Maybe we shouldn't do this..." haha.

• Members
Yeah really...I faced that recently, as my insurance doesn't cover any testing (except one) before the age of 40. Wont' go into detail on this forum, did so on the ladies forum. Seems like it should start at least 35 yo.

I'm fine LOL but it would be nice to know insurance would pay for yearly testing as I'm only 33.

And Jess, I don't know you....never met you.... :wink

That's ok we felt that way as a church a few years ago, we had like three of our missionary wives die within a several year period. We took on my sister and her husband for support and I was like "Maybe we shouldn't do this..." haha.

I say go for it if you have no plan of ever having an abortion. It's better than losing a wife and a mother, especially if you have alot of kids. you have a better chance of fighting it if caught early.

• Members

She said she had a lump under her arm but didn't think much of it because (according to statistics) she had a near-zero likelihood of risk: no family had it, never used hormone b/c, etc.

BTW, in case anyone else was wondering, I was just joking about what I wrote up there about renouncing family and friends. I know full well that all of us are in the Lord's hands and have peace that His will will be accomplished in this trial.

Humanly speaking though, it is just so sad. Jon and Amy are such a loving couple, absolutely in love with each other. And six little children... She's only 33

• Members
She said she had a lump under her arm but didn't think much of it because (according to statistics) she had a near-zero likelihood of risk: no family had it, never used hormone b/c, etc.

BTW, in case anyone else was wondering, I was just joking about what I wrote up there about renouncing family and friends. I know full well that all of us are in the Lord's hands and have peace that His will will be accomplished in this trial.

Humanly speaking though, it is just so sad. Jon and Amy are such a loving couple, absolutely in love with each other. And six little children... She's only 33

Yikes! My age. *sigh* It really is sad and scary too. That really is not too common to have cancer that bad at that age... sometimes the surgeons won't even check lumps like that, from what I hear...if you are that age with zero risk.