• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Born-Again Christian Prostitute?

• Members

A Born-Again Christian Prostitute?

9:11AM EDT 4/5/2013 Michael Brown

It is one thing to say, “I was a terrible sinner before I knew the Lord, but God still loved me even in my sin and had His hand on my life.” It is another thing entirely to say, “All the years that I was living in blatant, open sin, I was actually a born-again Christian.” Really?

In a poorly reasoned article about same-sex “marriage” in the ultra-liberal Huffington Post, Daphne Daly shares with real candor the horrible lifestyle she lived before she got right with the Lord. It included prostitution, adult entertainment, a lesbian relationship and even advocating for legalized brothels.

She explains, “Jesus still loved me throughout my entire life of sin. He held my hand the entire time, guiding me through until I found my place in His kingdom, not in this world.”

Yes, God’s mercy is amazing, and many of us can relate to how incredibly patient He was with us before we were saved, intervening in our lives even when we were rejecting Him.

But that’s not all Daphne has to say. She writes, “It may surprise many Christians to hear me say that I was a born-again Christian the entirety of my 20 year career as a prostitute and adult entertainer. I was a born-again Christian the entire time I was advocating for legalized brothels.”

What? A born-again Christian prostitute? A born-again stripper? A born-again advocate for legalized brothels?

We’re not talking about a momentary slip-up or even a series of falls. And we’re not talking about someone being sold into sex slavery. We’re talking about a chosen lifestyle over a period of more than two decades after professing faith in Jesus as a child. Yet she claims she was born-again the whole time?

I am really glad to hear that Daphne has found her way back to the Lord and that she’s even in ministry school (even if it’s premature). And I hope that her bad theology is the result of her being young in the Lord. After all, she doesn’t exactly claim to be the holiest person on earth, writing, “I curse like a sailor. I can admit it. That is something I am working on.”

The problem is that she is functioning as a public spokesperson for the gospel, wanting to correct the church for standing against same-sex “marriage” (although she recognizes that homosexual relationships are sinful) and wanting to tell us what God does and doesn’t require.

Daphne explains, “My potty mouth”—cursing like a sailor, as she put it—“doesn’t make me any less of a Christian.” But doesn’t it make her less Christlike? And isn’t Christlikeness part of the very essence of being a Christian?

Yet profanity is hardly the major issue here. Paul warns repeatedly against the very deception Daphne espouses, namely that you can be born again while living in blatant, ongoing, unrepentant, habitual sin.

“For you may be sure of this,” Paul writes, “that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience” (Eph. 5:5-6, ESV; see also 1 Cor. 6:9-10; Gal. 5:19-21; Col. 3:5-6). Paul could not have made himself any more clear.

Daphne writes, “The Bible clearly states that Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead for our sin. He asks for very little in return. He has asked us to be born again. Once we have become born again, we are ‘covered by the blood,’ as it states. We are washed clean in His eyes. It is pretty cut and dry without religion to jumble it up.”

What is cut and dry is that being born again means living a brand-new life (2 Cor. 5:17), and Paul taught plainly that Jesus “died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again” (2 Cor. 5:15, NIV).

We are saved to serve the Lord, and while Daphne claims that Jesus “asks for very little in return,” He actually asks for everything in return, telling us that we have to renounce everything we have to be His disciples (Luke 14:33).

But this is not a legalistic requirement. It is the Bridegroom calling His bride to be His, to love Him with an undivided heart, and He empowers us by His grace to live out His radical call.

When it comes to homosexuality, it is no surprise that Daphne makes some very weak points about same-sex “marriage,” but rather than condemn her, let’s take this as an opportunity to pray for her to come to a place in the Lord that she has never known before, examining our own lives as we do.

And let’s remember the wise words of Charles Spurgeon, who said, “I cannot conceive it possible for anyone truly to receive Christ as Savior and yet not to receive Him as Lord. A man who is really saved by grace does not need to be told that he is under solemn obligations to serve Christ. The new life within him tells him that. Instead of regarding it as a burden, he gladly surrenders himself—body, soul, and spirit—to the Lord who has redeemed him, reckoning this to be his reasonable service.”

Put another way, there is no such thing as an unrepentant, born-again Christian prostitute.

• Members

John, I seen something like this a few years back on some show. Some former strippers who would "take the gospel" to current strippers. The catch was that they would take the gospel to them while the strippers were at work. 

IMO the biggest problem within the church today is that there's no conviction of sin. I'm not sure why. I think it's because preachers aren't preaching against sin and believers have stopped reproving it but even when they do you still see no fear of God in people. I remember reading about how when Charles Finney would arrive in an area to preach that people would start repenting just at the site of him because he reminded them of God and how much they had backslidden. Today, it's almost laughable to think about this ever occurring. 

• Members

Presuming her claim to be born-again is true (Which I do not for one second believe), she wasn't backslidden, she literally fell off a cliff! It is sad to see how mixed up people are when it comes to the Bible and Christ. This lady really needs to hear the true Gospel.

• Members

We had a pastor whose son was a drunkard.  His son went through RU and after he graduated, he gave his testimony at Church claiming he was saved even during the 4 years he was a drunkard.  RU doesn't teach its students that they had made a empty profession, it teaches them that although they were drunkards they were still saved. 

It is sad that so many buy into the lie that one can live in habitual sin and still be saved when the Word of God says one cannot drink of the cup of the Lord and the cup of devils.

• Members

RU doesn't teach its students that they had made a empty profession, it teaches them that although they were drunkards they were still saved. 

It is sad that so many buy into the lie that one can live in habitual sin and still be saved when the Word of God says one cannot drink of the cup of the Lord and the cup of devils.

RU really teaches that??  We have RU at our church, though I am not familiar with it, in that I have not "supported it"  (by attending the meetings) since moving here.  RU seems to be more prevalent here where I live as opposed to where I used to live.  Isn't it one thing to be a drunkard before being saved, but after one is saved one should be moving away from whatever sinful behavior he/she has as opposed to continuing in it (whether drinking, smoking, whatever)?  Yes, the time one person is convicted of his/her sins may differ from another persons, but I don't understand how one can be saved and willingly continue in sin.  Once a person is saved, shouldn't he/she be convicted of his/her sin(s) and soon avoid continued/intentional sin(s)?

I thought that RU was supposed to be a good ministry, and thought that it was to be a help.  But if it is in fact "teaching" what you propose, then how is that beneficial?    

• Members

cubfan,
I actually have the testimony video the pastor's son gave at his RU Graduation ceremony.  In the testimony, he clearly states that he was saved the whole time he was a drunkard. 

Sad thing, no one corrected him, nor did his father when he repeated his testimony at the Church I was a member of.  Matter of fact, not even Sunday School teachers who had been at the Church for more than 30 years corrected him. 

Want to hear something even more shocking?  Fresh out of RU, this young man was put in position as a Sunday School teacher.  I think it was way too soon.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

cubfan,
I actually have the testimony video the pastor's son gave at his RU Graduation ceremony.  In the testimony, he clearly states that he was saved the whole time he was a drunkard. 

Sad thing, no one corrected him, nor did his father when he repeated his testimony at the Church I was a member of.  Matter of fact, not even Sunday School teachers who had been at the Church for more than 30 years corrected him. 

Want to hear something even more shocking?  Fresh out of RU, this young man was put in position as a Sunday School teacher.  I think it was way too soon.

Oh my!  That doesn't seem to lend to a good/credible testimony, rather isn't that hinging on a false testimony, showing that one can continue in their pet/habitual sin while being saved? 

I'm just scratching my head over what you said RU is teaching about being saved all the while continuing in the habitual sin...just doesn't add up to the Bible to me.

• Moderators

Can't one be willingly living in sin and be continually convicted about it?  It'd be a terrible way to live, but it seems to happen - at least until the conscience is sufficiently dulled and the Holy Spirit stops rebuking.  I don't see where such a state negates one from being saved. Consider the situation in Corinth - and consider our own wicked hearts. Don't know about you all, but I seem to habitually sin all the time - and sometimes often it is willingly (ever choose not to give someone a tract, anyone?).  I'm not agreeing with the premise of the OP at all - but some of the statements since seem to suggest that they think Christians will never habitually sin. Christians should not live in willing, habitual sin - but they do. And God chastens them.

That being said, while I don't think drunkenness necessarily precludes salvation, I do agree that that seems a bit quick for placing someone so recently out of RU in a teaching position.

Edited by salyan

• Members

Paul told the Corinthians, "1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

"Some were fornicators. Some were idolaters.  Some were drunkards, etc.,  but they were washed.  Those who live in continual sin will not inherit the kingdom of God according to Paul.  How can they be saved while living in continual sin?

Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Shall not means it won't happen.

• Members

Can't one be willingly living in sin and be continually convicted about it?  It'd be a terrible way to live, but it seems to happen - at least until the conscience is sufficiently dulled and the Holy Spirit stops rebuking.  I don't see where such a state negates one from being saved. Consider the situation in Corinth - and consider our own wicked hearts. Don't know about you all, but I seem to habitually sin all the time - and sometimes often it is willingly (ever choose not to give someone a tract, anyone?).  I'm not agreeing with the premise of the OP at all - but some of the statements since seem to suggest that they think Christians will never habitually sin. Christians should not live in willing, habitual sin - but they do. And God chastens them.

That being said, while I don't think drunkenness necessarily precludes salvation, I do agree that that seems a bit quick for placing someone so recently out of RU in a teaching position.

True, I don't get it. When people say its impossible for so & so to have been saved.

All I can do is say, they did not behave like saved people, I just do not have the ability to look in their heart & say, "Its impossible for them to have been saved.

Now with that said, In that article the woman telling about having lived in sin seems not to under stand God the least bit, when we are separated from Him by sin, the only thing we will receive form Him if we are truly born again, is chastisement, & if we don't turn our lives around He just may call us home early, there is a sin not death. And of course if she went thru that whole time period of sin without chastisement from God, them that shows her that she was not born again, Heb 12:6.

Heb 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
Heb 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
Heb 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
Heb 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
Heb 12:10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
Heb 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

• Moderators

Paul told the Corinthians, "1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

"Some were fornicators. Some were idolaters.  Some were drunkards, etc.,  but they were washed.  Those who live in continual sin will not inherit the kingdom of God according to Paul.  How can they be saved while living in continual sin?

Are we talking of people getting saved without repentance of sin, or of people who have been saved falling back into sin? I'm addressing my comments to the latter question.  As far as people who have been saved living in continual sin... well, it seems to me like the closer I get to God the more I am aware of constant sin in my life. Sins like pride and selfishness that are so ingrained I do them without even realizing it - until after. Don't you find that? 

"It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you. For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus." 1 Corinthians 5:1-5 

Was this fellow in Corinth saved? I'm inclined to believe he was, since it speaks of his spirit being saved at the end. Also, doesn't this tie in with church discipline? When we discipline a member (for blatant, unrepentant sin), we are simply following God's instructions in an attempt to restore them to fellowship with God and with the church. We don't assume they're unsaved.

"If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:6-9

Context: speaking to believers. Sin in the believer's life separates him from fellowship with the Lord. However, we clearly see that a believer can and mostly likely will sin.

I'm in no way trying to advocate that it's okay for believers to sin!  Such is not pleasing to the Lord, and there are huge consequences - not least of which is the lack of fellowship with the Lord nad the lack of rest in the Christian walk. As believers, we need to be submitted wholly to the Lord and trusting Him to 'work out our salvation' as we trust and rest in Him.  The reason, though, that we need Him so desperately is that we still have the old man struggling in us. "The good that I would I do not, and the evil which I would not, that I do." "To him that knoweth to do good, to him it is sin."  So even as believers, we will both do wrong and fail to do right - in and of ourselves.  A Christian shouldn't willingly, habitually sin. But does that mean he can't? Or won't? To say that someone who does such isn't saved sounds like either a belief in sinless perfectionism, or the belief that someone can lose their salvation.  Is there a third option?

• Members

As a former RU leader, RU does NOT teach that a person can live in sin after being saved.  RU is a great discipling course but it still depends on who is leading it. 

Does the person in charge of the program preach Biblical salvation, instead of the 1-2-3?  Does the leader stand for God's Word instead of trying not to hurt a person's feelings?

We never told a person that he/she is saved even when they came from "Christian" family.

As a leader, my job was to keep the ladies accountable in their Bible study and always bring it back to God's Word during discussion time- it is the Holy Spirit's job to convict.

As Salyan said, God will sear a person's mind when they knowingly sin and continue not to heed the Holy Spirit.  Then He will reprove, rebuke, then maybe take that person home.

edited because I referenced the wrong person :)

Edited by KAT

• Members

John, I seen something like this a few years back on some show. Some former strippers who would "take the gospel" to current strippers. The catch was that they would take the gospel to them while the strippers were at work. 

IMO the biggest problem within the church today is that there's no conviction of sin. I'm not sure why. I think it's because preachers aren't preaching against sin and believers have stopped reproving it but even when they do you still see no fear of God in people. I remember reading about how when Charles Finney would arrive in an area to preach that people would start repenting just at the site of him because he reminded them of God and how much they had backslidden. Today, it's almost laughable to think about this ever occurring. 

Your bring forth some excellent thoughts on this. There is indeed a lack of any fear of God. While it used to be heard only from liberal Christians, the saying has spread to even some in the more conservative churches, which is the idea that sin, or at least some sin, is not that big of a deal so it's okay to go ahead and engage in some sin because you can ask God to forgive you later.

The fear of God, along with teaching on the reality of eternity and a real, everlasting punishment for the wicked in a literal burning hell, which will be tossed into a literal, burning lake of fire, and solid teaching on sin; including just what sin is, just how bad sin is, and that any sin separates us from God and all sin is bad in the sight of God, and the fact God doesn't only punish the wicked, but He also chastens His own, isn't being preached and taught much anymore. Not at all in some churches.

It's also a great point with regards to how preachers and such were once viewed, and how they are today. Part of this is due to the way preachers once lived their lives in accord with Scripture and the solid Bible preaching they engaged in, and the fact so many preachers today don't live holy, separated lives, and actually go out of their way to try and be "cool" and "just one of the guys", along with the less than solid Bible preaching or downright watery broth preaching.

When I was a child I remember seeing how people talked and acted differently when a preacher was around. There was a measure of respect, a sense of really being with a "man of God" and of God somehow seeming to be more real and near. That's not seen near as much today. It's much more common for preachers to be treated as just another guy, and some even go out of their way to try and "push it a little" around preachers just to see their reaction.

Back when California had the governor recall election, that Arnold eventually won, there was a porn "actress" who also ran for governor. This woman is the daughter of a Methodist preacher, claims to be a saved Christian, says she keeps her Bible on her night stand and reads it every night before going to bed. When asked about her job as a porn "actress" and what the Bible says, this woman said that she agrees with what the Bible says but as an actress doing a job it's not really her doing those things, she's just acting, so that's okay.

It seems most American Christians want that Burger King Christianity which allows them to have it their way. If they were to really pay attention to the Bible they would discover that God says He not only wants it His way, He will have it His way.