• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

1Timothy115

Celebrating The Birth Of

Celebrating the birth of the church.

It came out as I was preparing for a future lesson (not my original thought).

Yes, I understand some folks have another day pegged as the birth of the church, I have not formed an opinion about that. So, I don't intend to discuss that aspect.

What do you think? How should the church celebrate the Day of Pentacost or, the day you pick (as the birth of the church), Is there any reason to celebrate it at all? 

We don't celebrate the birth of the church, because? (Personally, I did not know that people did :) )

The beginning of the church? The beginning of Christ's ministry?

I don't see any point in celebrating such. As we already know, there are many differing views as to when the church actually started so any attempt to celebrate such would automatically begin with division.

Myself, I try to focus upon the coming of Christ and what needs to be done between now and then. I don't think we need any other celebrations, most often they tend to distract, often the divide, and typically they turn into something other than intended.

I had never thought of celebrating it before. I've never heard of anyone who ever did celebrate the birth of the church. I wonder if that would be of men to make a celebration of the date the church "became."

Of course I do celebrate the "new birth" of someone and their becoming part of the church. When the pastor introduces someone just saved or recently saved I celebrate it along with those in God's presence. Luke 15:10 "Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth." But that is a different type of celebrating the church.

We don't celebrate the birth of the church, because? (Personally, I did not know that people did :) )

The beginning of the church? The beginning of Christ's ministry?

KAT, I can't answer your questions.

I suppose Pentecost would be a celebration of the initial empowering of the church to be witnesses. Since the church is the body of Christ, that would be hard to celebrate, since Christ has always been, hence, he has no beginning, or birth, save His physical birth in the flesh, which no one really knows the date. So, why bother? Celebrate every day the Lord gives you to do one more thing for Him-each day is a gift, one which we don't know we'll have tomorrow. Redeem the time and live today for the Lord.

The church was already in existence at Pentecost.  It started on the shores of Galilee when Christ called upon his first followers.

The church couldn't have started at Galilee because then Judas Iscariot would have been part of it.  Also,  Matt. 16:18 is yet future.

More likely the church started at the cross since that was the time the church was redeemed by Christ's blood (Col. 1:14-18). No shedding of blood, no church.

The apostles were first in the church (I Cor.12:28) and this probably occurred when Jesus breathed on them in John 20:22.

The rest occurred at Pentecost.

The church couldn't have started at Galilee...

A New Testament Church is a local, visible, assembly of baptized and called out believers purposed together for spreading the Gospel among other things.  As soon as those fishermen dropped their nets and followed Jesus, the church began.  It doesn't need a building.  What's Judas have to do with it?  Aren't our NT Churches populated with false converts and infidels?

A New Testament Church is a local, visible, assembly of baptized and called out believers purposed together for spreading the Gospel among other things.  As soon as those fishermen dropped their nets and followed Jesus, the church began.  It doesn't need a building.  What's Judas have to do with it?  Aren't our NT Churches populated with false converts and infidels?

Christ didn't die for the local church. He died for THE CHURCH (i.e. the body of believers in heaven and on earth). There are unredeemed people in the local church. Was not the apostle Judas Iscariot called out to preach the gospel of the kingdom? Oh, yes he was and he preached it too. And he also went straight to hell afterwards.

Edited by ASongOfDegrees

Christ didn't die for the local church. He died for THE CHURCH (i.e. the body of believers in heaven and on earth). There are unredeemed people in the local church. Was not the apostle Judas Iscariot called out to preach the gospel of the kingdom? Oh, yes he was and he preached it too. And he also went straight to hell afterwards.

No argument from me.