• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

P_Bear141

Head Coverings - Again

Hi all!  I used to come around here more, but it's been a while.  I have a question about head coverings.  I've done ALOT of reading online about it and I've been praying and reading scripture, but I still have some questions.  Anyway, here it goes:

1. I find that in 1 Cor 11:15 that it says a woman’s hair is given to her as a covering, but I’m confused about why it says then that she should cover her hair when praying... as if I could uncover it when I wasn't praying? My hair doesn't come off! Also, the same with the men. It says NOT to cover when praying, as if he could be covered at any other time. If the meaning is hair, how could it be taken on and off in different situations?

2. I'm having an issue with the meaning of v16, right after it. It says “But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.” Does that mean that we don’t have a custom about head covering, or we don’t have a custom about being contentious? In doing my research, I find both views.

3. Why did Christians wear head coverings (even in the US) for the first 1800 years or so, and then stop? Was it because it just wasn't in fashion any more, or because nearly every denomination decided to change their understanding of that scripture?

I'm honestly praying and researching this topic. I want to follow the Lord and do what He wants. I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't believe something just because someone "told you so". I want to research it and know why I believe it!!

Based on my understanding...the discussion on covering vs. uncovering is addressing an aspect of Corinthian culture.  Coverings or veils were worn by women as a symbol of submission and respect for the husband, particularly in religious settings.  Paul was emphasizing the fact that man is the head of the woman as a picture of Christ as the head of the church/man.  This stood in contrast to the way in which the local Corinthian pagan worship of Venus/Aphrodite which was commonly led by women priests/acolytes.  The discussion on hair and coverings draws a distinction between men and women and their role in the church and addresses a specific problem and cultural issue that was going on in the Corinthian church.

I would have to dig back into my seminary books for a more comprehensive answer, but this is what I remember off the top of my head.

Hi all!  I used to come around here more, but it's been a while.  I have a question about head coverings.  I've done ALOT of reading online about it and I've been praying and reading scripture, but I still have some questions.  Anyway, here it goes:

1. I find that in 1 Cor 11:15 that it says a woman’s hair is given to her as a covering, but I’m confused about why it says then that she should cover her hair when praying... as if I could uncover it when I wasn't praying? My hair doesn't come off! Also, the same with the men. It says NOT to cover when praying, as if he could be covered at any other time. If the meaning is hair, how could it be taken on and off in different situations?

2. I'm having an issue with the meaning of v16, right after it. It says “But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.” Does that mean that we don’t have a custom about head covering, or we don’t have a custom about being contentious? In doing my research, I find both views.

3. Why did Christians wear head coverings (even in the US) for the first 1800 years or so, and then stop? Was it because it just wasn't in fashion any more, or because nearly every denomination decided to change their understanding of that scripture?

I'm honestly praying and researching this topic. I want to follow the Lord and do what He wants. I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't believe something just because someone "told you so". I want to research it and know why I believe it!!

Paul is basically saying that if a woman is going to have short hair than she might as well shave the whole thing off since both are a shame to God and a sign of rebellion towards her husband. The "covering" is not a bonnet (or whatever you call it) but rather her long hair. 

Paul does seem to suggest that it's not a custom in the church. He starts the chapter off with telling them to keep the ordinances. Well, we know that Paul only established two ordinances; baptism and the Lord's supper. He seems to be just trying to settle an argument that was taking place among the Corinthians who were arguing among themselves about a lot of things. Yet, IMO, he isn't laying down the law of God. Just the way he thinks they should take care of the matter.

By the way, a lot of elderly women wear their hair short because is looks better this way. And many black women wear it short too because of the way their hair naturally grows (emphasis on the word "naturally"). Am I going to say they are in rebellion towards their husbands because of this? I trow now.

As for your third question I'm not sure if women have always worn head coverings at all times through every culture for the last 2,000 years. But the break with the custom in America has a lot to do with Women's Lib.

Edited by ASongOfDegrees

Vs 10 is an interesting one.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

Right here it talks about "power on her head" - this appears to be talking about her being under authority.
In fact the passage has an aspect about it that points out both the equality and the authority line between men and women.

It is often misunderstood that while women are to be in submission to the men the Lord has placed over them, that does mean they are of lesser "value" - not doormats, so to speak.
However, if the covering in this passage speaks of the "power" (or authority) over them, then it makes sense. The covering spoken of then has a twofold meaning of her being under appropriate authority, and also that the women look like women, and the men look like men. Keeping the distinction between the roles of men and women.

I will have to look deeper now - you have stirred my interest in this passage. ;)

The hair is her natural covering, but women are called to wear a covering for spiritual reasons. This was the norm until radical feminism inflitrated the churches and all manner of women's dress was corrupted.

John, where do you find a covering is the passage that isn't her hair?

Article Categories

About Us

Since 2001, Online Baptist has been an Independent Baptist website, and we exclusively use the King James Version of the Bible. We pride ourselves on a community that uplifts the Lord.

Contact Us

You can contact us using the following link. Contact Us or for questions regarding this website please contact @pastormatt or email James Foley at jfoley@sisqtel.net

Android App

Online Baptist has a custom App for all android users. You can download it from the Google Play store or click the following icon.