• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

John81

Talk About Missing The Point

A minister decided that a visual demonstration would add emphasis to his Sunday sermon.

Four worms were placed into four separate jars.

• The first worm was put into a container of alcohol.
  • The second worm was put into a container of cigarette smoke.
  • The third worm was put into a container of chocolate syrup.
  • The fourth worm was put into a container of good clean soil.

At the conclusion of the sermon, the Minister reported the following results:

• The first worm in alcohol .. . . . . . Dead .
  •  
  • The second worm in cigarette smoke . . . Dead .
  • Third worm in chocolate syrup . . . . Dead.
  • Fourth worm in good clean soil . . .. Alive

So the Minister asked the congregation,

"What did you learn from this demonstration?"

A woman sitting in the back quickly raised her hand and said . . .
"As long as you drink, smoke and eat chocolate, you won't have worms!"

That pretty much ended the service.

Then maybe it wasn't designed/organized properly?

Do questions about a movie pop into your head while watching it?  As soon as you think it or speak aloud, aren't they always almost answered?  We have a saying in our home when someone asks a question during a program, "Your question will be answered by the show"!  

A Mother was sitting in church with her boys, four and two. She was just pleased that they were not making noise and never thought they were actually paying attention.

The scripture reading was from Matthew 5 and when the speaker said, "If you hate your brother, you are guilty of murder"

She then heard her four-year-old say, "Oh-oh."

(That boy heard the message!)

The one about the alcohol is a very old one, I heard it many years ago but it was quite different.

Its amazing to me that the pastors that uses worldly stuff, worldly people, to try & make a point or maybe force a point, & actually all they do is glorify man. I read one such article in a recent Sword of the Lord.

The one about the alcohol is a very old one, I heard it many years ago but it was quite different.

Its amazing to me that the pastors that uses worldly stuff, worldly people, to try & make a point or maybe force a point, & actually all they do is glorify man. I read one such article in a recent Sword of the Lord.

If folks won't believe the Word of God where alcohol is concerned or they won't accept what the Word says with regards to mixing in with the filth of the world, they aren't going to be swayed by elementary school teacher style gimmicks.

Along these lines, those preachers who like to give a short Scripture reading and then go off telling stories for the next 45 minutes before getting back to the Scripture reading then ending their sermon are going sideways. How much better if they gave most of their time speaking to the Word and just a little to a story or two that actually fits the sermon!

If folks won't believe the Word of God where alcohol is concerned or they won't accept what the Word says with regards to mixing in with the filth of the world, they aren't going to be swayed by elementary school teacher style gimmicks.

Along these lines, those preachers who like to give a short Scripture reading and then go off telling stories for the next 45 minutes before getting back to the Scripture reading then ending their sermon are going sideways. How much better if they gave most of their time speaking to the Word and just a little to a story or two that actually fits the sermon!

I must respectfully disagree. There are many people who learn better visually, while others learn better by ear. I have a church with mostly visual learners. Now, I don't always do examples such as was given, but I do find, both from my own experience, as well as how much more the folks in my church understand with some visuals, that we need to learn how people learn best. Even in the Bible we see Jesus and the disciples using many word-pictures, and for all we know, they gave physical examples, as well.

All of Jesus' ministry was marked by visuals: we call them 'miracles'. The Apostles did the same thing. The feeding of the five thousand was not just feeding, but a picture of Jesus as the Bread of Life. Look also at the ministries of isaiah and Ezekiel and Jeremiah-they were filled with odd, even weird object lessons-building pretend cities and seiging them; walking around naked' laying on one side or another. Giving object lessons from the pulpit is no different-a couple of the sermons I remember best from years ago are one about idols, where the pastor carried around a little china horse and talked about it as 'his idol'; the other on 'iron sharpeneth iron', where he spent much of the sermon, as he spoke sharpening a knife on an iron sharpener. 

Object lessons are biblical.

I must respectfully disagree. There are many people who learn better visually, while others learn better by ear. I have a church with mostly visual learners. Now, I don't always do examples such as was given, but I do find, both from my own experience, as well as how much more the folks in my church understand with some visuals, that we need to learn how people learn best. Even in the Bible we see Jesus and the disciples using many word-pictures, and for all we know, they gave physical examples, as well.

All of Jesus' ministry was marked by visuals: we call them 'miracles'. The Apostles did the same thing. The feeding of the five thousand was not just feeding, but a picture of Jesus as the Bread of Life. Look also at the ministries of isaiah and Ezekiel and Jeremiah-they were filled with odd, even weird object lessons-building pretend cities and seiging them; walking around naked' laying on one side or another. Giving object lessons from the pulpit is no different-a couple of the sermons I remember best from years ago are one about idols, where the pastor carried around a little china horse and talked about it as 'his idol'; the other on 'iron sharpeneth iron', where he spent much of the sermon, as he spoke sharpening a knife on an iron sharpener. 

Object lessons are biblical.

Object lessons "CAN" be biblical, but not all object lessons "are" biblical.

Even then we must remember that faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.

There was a very good sermon in the latest Sword of the lord on this issue given my a physician. he made many good points why the Christian should not drink, & also that that stuff is bad for a person health.

Some people say that some people will never believe with out visuals. I guess that means they will never believe on the Lord Jesus.

But Jesus said.

Joh 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Object lessons "CAN" be biblical, but not all object lessons "are" biblical.

Even then we must remember that faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.

Very true-object lessons must be tested against the word of God-they must accurately speak the truth you are seking to convey-I wouldn't argue with that.

As for faith coming by hearing, that's true, but doesn't that include reading the word of God? Doe sreading the word of God bring faith, as well?

Edited by Ukulelemike

There was a very good sermon in the latest Sword of the lord on this issue given my a physician. he made many good points why the Christian should not drink, & also that that stuff is bad for a person health.

Some people say that some people will never believe with out visuals. I guess that means they will never believe on the Lord Jesus.

But Jesus said.

Joh 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

I'm not speaking of object lessons to get people saved-I am speaking of giving lessons of the Christian life and Bible truths-object lessons can be good for such things. Teaching the gospel is something entirely different. Though again, the primary reason Jesus performed so many miracles was to prove He was the son of God-don't tell me some didn't believe, in part, because of the miracles they saw. This is also why we are to keep a good testimony in our lives-so we can, as best we can, picture Jesus to others. A good testimony can bring them to faith, while a poor one can drive them away.

And by the way, Thomas DID believe because he saw-it is better to have not seen, but Jesus never said he was wrong, just its is more blessed to believe without seeing. I guess Thomas was just a more visual person.

A minister decided that a visual demonstration would add emphasis to his Sunday sermon.

Four worms were placed into four separate jars.

• The first worm was put into a container of alcohol.
  • The second worm was put into a container of cigarette smoke.
  • The third worm was put into a container of chocolate syrup.
  • The fourth worm was put into a container of good clean soil.

At the conclusion of the sermon, the Minister reported the following results:

• The first worm in alcohol .. . . . . . Dead .
  •  
  • The second worm in cigarette smoke . . . Dead .
  • Third worm in chocolate syrup . . . . Dead.
  • Fourth worm in good clean soil . . .. Alive

So the Minister asked the congregation,

"What did you learn from this demonstration?"

A woman sitting in the back quickly raised her hand and said . . .
"As long as you drink, smoke and eat chocolate, you won't have worms!"

That pretty much ended the service.

A little off subject but this reminds me of a story I heard once about a preacher who took the offering plate and dumped a bunch of smelly cigarette butts in it and placed it on the alter. When everyone starting mumbling he asked them why they were getting so upset (many of them smoked) since they were doing the same thing to the temple of God (i.e. their bodies).  That was a good "object lesson".

Edited by ASongOfDegrees

No, that was not a smart lesson, it was stupid, & should not be done in one of Jesus' New Testament Churches. If he cannot teach lessons without doing that sort of thing he should remover him self from the ministry.

To be honest I think both of them were only jokes made up by people who loves to mock God, Jesus, & Jesus' New Testament Churches, those He calls to preach the Word, who loves to laugh & joke about sins against God. There should never be any humor found in joking about sins against God by one whose been bought by the blood of the Lamb.