• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who's racist?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Well, part of me wants to sigh...and then part of me wants to tell them go for it!!!

The "empowerment" idea is silly, really, since there are so many blacks in major positions of leadership. But what they are trying to do is actually a principle of the free market system. We all pick and choose where we buy for certain reasons. I know, if a white couple were doing this same thing, there would be accusations of shocking racism. I say good luck to them, even though their motivation is possibly a racist one.

• Members

What aggravated me is when they said "Our people have been here for 400 years and they don't even own a Walgreens". "Our people"? I thought in America, everyone was "our people".

THAT is RACIST.

Whites aren't allowed to call other whites "our people" are we? Or refuse to patronize black businesses?

Its just annoying. Whites are supposed to be "color blind" but the others can speak and behave however they like.

• Members

I don't find this racist. It is no different than a member of my church vowing only to buy from Christian people. It is helping out their local black community.

It is no different than me trying to buy 100% local food. Keeping the money local. I have no problem with this. I try to shop and spend money with people I know, not the big box stores, even if I have to pay a bit more. Essentially, they are trying to keep their money local, or encourage other people of their race to prosper more economically.

There isn't any racism here that I see.

• Administrators

kita - I can understand what you're saying. I do believe that if it were a white couple referencing "our people" it would be marked as racist. But I don't really think it is - we try to buy as much as we can from fellow Christians. That might be called discrimination...but that is the free market principle!

kindofblue - good to see you again!!!!

• Members

I can see that...however I do maintain that as far as it beginning a "movement" I would say the "movement" would be racist...if not every individual, but as a whole.

Again...I'd like to see whites try it. Regardless of any of that, the fact it even made the news tells me that at least somebody is trying to stir up racism against whites by getting more blacks away from white businesses.

Its true alot of people do that...gays do it, Christians do it, etc....but THIS one made the news...interesting. Especially in Chicago, especially during the reign of Obama...Hmmm.

• Members
I can see that...however I do maintain that as far as it beginning a "movement" I would say the "movement" would be racist...if not every individual, but as a whole.

Again...I'd like to see whites try it. Regardless of any of that, the fact it even made the news tells me that at least somebody is trying to stir up racism against whites by getting more blacks away from white businesses.

Its true alot of people do that...gays do it, Christians do it, etc....but THIS one made the news...interesting. Especially in Chicago, especially during the reign of Obama...Hmmm.

Yeah, I know what you mean, Kita. My sil (who is black) told me about this double standard years ago, so it has been this way for a long time, it is just not publicized. I do think they have the right to buy from whomever they wish, though, just like HC said, we Christians could do the exact same thing, and buy from only other Christians. I told my hubby that one upside is that in their efforts they will likely be "buying American"....and that is a good thing.

• Members

Did these folks ever think about setting an example and starting their OWN 'black' business? That's the wonderful thing about America; they can do it...and the government will even help minorities to do it. At my last job, I worked in a factory with a couple hundred black people. A black man had hired me. After over ten years of saving my money and doing my business from home 'on the side', making the same and less than some of them, I quit my hourly job and ventured out on my own. The point being; any one of the black folk I worked with could have, and did, do the same. I have been self employed now, as a sign builder, for almost ten years. In my line of work, about 99% of my customers are other businesses and I have noticed that a good many of those businesses are owned and run by blacks. I have lots of black customers.

Some of my black customers are truck drivers with their own rigs, others have landscaping businesses, lawn care , heavy equipment, concrete finishing, politicians, one of my black customers has an ice cream truck and her husband has his own logging operation. Another black man, I know, owns a KFC franchise. One of my black neighbors runs a mechanic business and another neighbor and friend of mine is a building contractor....his wife is a physician with her own practice. There are at least three black attorneys with their own practices in my small community; I just met with one of those in my office last week. A black preacher friend of mine does all his business with me and has sent many others my way. They all stop by and we fellowship in the Lord. I'm doing word for Bro. Tony right now.

Why do we concentrate on more division? Why can't some people forget the 'color' thing and just be Americans? America is a free country, nobody is stopping you from starting your own business.

• Members

Oh okay, we had some black friends in NJ, he is a pastor but he just moved to Pensacola to further his degree and work in a church there, his name is Tony so had to ask. :-)

• Members
How in the world is that NOT racist? Exactly how Orwellian can we be?

Until the bottom completely falls out. :coffee We are a "melting pot" of different cultures... but, some people still can't see that. If people want to talk about racist? Talk to a Jewish person. They'll tell you ALL about it. These people don't recall the Holocaust. :( I am soooo tired of this. I lived through racism at it's finest... and kept my mouth shut for years. And, I'm still living through it. Reverse discrimination has been going on for years. Now, that the USA has Obama... every TRUE liberal wants to jump on the bandwagon. The USSA... oh, yeah. Very soon.

Kindofblue... I have too AA friends, as you know. The one gal is a fine Christian woman and still says Obama is the Anti-Christ. My other friend is an Independent, again. She said she won't vote Democrat... ever again. Her conscience won't allow it... she says. I have to calm my one friend down... and, let her know that Obama is NOT the Anti-Christ. We are almost there, though. :( That is reality. Btw, they call me to vent. I just listen. :smile

In Christ ~

Molly

• Administrators

I will not buy from someone based on the color of ones skin.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

Looks like Martin Luthers dream has not come true yet if people will not buy from a store based on the color of the owners skin.