• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Immunizations

Salyan

• Moderators

I'm looking at visiting Cameroon late this year, Lord willing, and have started looking at the various vaccinations required/recommended for such a trip. What a pile! My family has always been rather leery of vaccinations, and I tend to avoid any unnecessary ones - but going to a third-world country definitely makes a good case for some vaccines not being unnecessary! Do any of y'all have any experience/recommendations regarding such a trip or adult vaccination in general?

Some of the ones I'm looking at are:

Yellow Fever (this one's required to enter the country)

MMR (Measles, mumps, rubella) booster

Tetanus-diptheria booster

Polio booster

Meningoccus

Typhoid

Hep A

What a cocktail of diseases!  "They" also recommend Hep B and Rabies, but due to cost/low chance of contracting I'm not considering those two.

• Members

When I was in the Air Force they walked us through in a line, shooting needles into both arms as we went. I think they covered about everything.

I've heard of a few missionaries who, after being in the foreign country for awhile and having problems, wished they had took all the shots, but I don't recall ever hearing anyone who went oversees complain they wished they hadn't taken any of the shots they took.

• Members

There was a report on the news a day or two ago the Britain is facing a rabies threat due to thousands of illegal puppy imports into the country from eastern Europe.  How they get them in without attracting attention, I don't know. Puppies are hardly quiet creatures.

• Members

From what I gather the diseases that plague Cameroon the most are:

Malaria (a large percentage of the adult population is affected)

Schistosomiasis (a prevelant disease)

The Sleeping Sickness (another common one)

Yellow Fever (part of the "Yellow Fever Belt")

TB

Diphtheria

Pertusis

Tetanus

Polio 

Measles

HIV/AIDS

I would look into a vaccine for cholera too if they offer one.

• Members

Oohh Cameroon... That is one of the coolest places, especially southern cameroon... I would love to go there and just poke around for a month or two, that or gabon.... I assume your looking at more of a mission trip than a vacation but take pics. :clapping:

• Moderators

Ha - come along! Wings as Eagles still has extra seats, I'm sure. :wink I actually have friends that went there as missionaries a couple years ago, so although I'll be going along as part of a missions team, my primary purpose is to visit with them. They'll be planning outreach activities around the people that end up coming, so we don't know what we'll be doing yet... but I'm hoping it might include some English teaching (as in, helping people to better understand their English Bibles and resources)! And I want to see what it's like in a country where people actually WANT to receive tracts and hear the gospel. Hard to imagine...

• Administrators

salyan, take along some chewable ecinicea (esberitox is the best brand) and some colloidal silver. In case you do get sick, you can start taking those right away - the ecinicea helps the immune system and the silver is anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal.  Have a wonderful time - and I echo Seth: pictures!!   :clap:  

When I was in the Air Force they walked us through in a line, shooting needles into both arms as we went. I think they covered about everything.

I've heard of a few missionaries who, after being in the foreign country for awhile and having problems, wished they had took all the shots, but I don't recall ever hearing anyone who went oversees complain they wished they hadn't taken any of the shots they took.

Yes and when I was going over seas to the Med and Persian Gulf we had to have "Yellow Fever" vaccines. They told us we could not give blood for a long time afterward but, I see now it's down to a couple of weeks.

Salyan, beware of possible precautions but make sure and get everything they say you'll need.

• Moderators

I understand the concerns: I am against pretty much all vaccinations-my wife hass sufferred greatly since havig to have vaccinations when she began nursing school. However, I know that certain things are required if you are to go on this trip, and if you believe it is God's will that you go, and you can't without the shots, then you must get them and trust the Lord for your health, or for strength to endure if you DO get sick.

• Moderators

Ukelelemike: your story is pretty much why I'm struggling with this decision. YF is the only one that's required, but there are so many others with strong recommendations that it's hard to know what the wise choice is.

• Members

Ukelelemike: your story is pretty much why I'm struggling with this decision. YF is the only one that's required, but there are so many others with strong recommendations that it's hard to know what the wise choice is.

I've been fortunate, I've never had a shot of any type that has affected be in a bad way. When in basic training we were lined up, they were giving shots in both arms, using those air gun type things. When there was about 8 or maybe 10 in front of me one of the air guns ran out, & they had to reload it. The next man up got his shot, took one step, fell to the ground, they picked him up & carried him off.

They did some adjusting on the air gun shot thing, tried again, that man took one step & hit the ground, they picked him up & carried him off.

The called someone else over & did some more adjusting, that time all went well. But, I was already scared enough, & after seeing that of course it was even scarier.

When in the Air Force before going to Guam I had to have several shots, that would have been in about September 1968.

I came back to my home base in January 69. Before January was out I had the flu having spent about 1 week in the hospital for I was sick as a dog, I though I would die. The reason, I did not get a flu shot in late 68, for they gave them after I left my home base. 4 years in the Air force, I had 3 flu shots, & the one year I did not get one, I got a bad case of the flu. Flu shots do work, & so does many of the others ones.

Sure would be nice if we knew before hand if certain shots were going to have an adverse effect on us.

My suggestion is that for you getting the ones recommended would be wise. Most usually when they recommend certain shots when your going to a foreign country its because many people in the past who did not get them came down sick

With that said, we each have to make what we think is the best decision for our self with the information we are able to obtain.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Sent the application in the mail today!

:woohoo: :woohoo:

It was so neat to see God's leading -He totally provided the funds I needed for this trip.  I still don't know which all shots I'll be getting, though. :wink

Archived