• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

PastorMatt

Are You A Good Tipper?

6 pages on tipping! Who would have thunk! :frog:

I actually kinda agree with Seth in that I don't like being expected to tip - those places that add a 15% gratuity to the bill really bug me. I'm enough of a cheapskate I'd rather not tip at all, and if I'm going to I want that to be my choice and not a requirement of the management. HOWEVER, I always do tip anyways (and usually around 20%) because it would be a bad witness to leave/give a tract and not do so. Even if it's someone else at the table who's giving the tract - you don't want the waiter to disregard it because of the actions of those associated with the person who gave it. If that makes any sense.

On a dive boat I once crewed there was a sign near the helm:

"Winds And Seas May Tip This Boat, But Only You Can Tip The Crew."

When the owners weren't around to terrorize the passengers, we sure did earn a lot more!  

Seth....I see it differently, actually.  I see it as "Work harder, make more.  Be lazy, earn less."   And I kind of like that.   It gives the workers incentive to be the best they can be at their job.  If they were to get a consistent hourly wage, they would just do the minimum.   If they feel like trying to earn a larger tip, they will watch your glass a little closer, and be a little more attentive to your needs.

I think the idea of a work-based income is actually quite good, myself.

Jerry, not sure why you get on that class thing.  This has nothing to do with class.  I consider myself in a fairly low income class, but yet, if we do occasionally go to a sit down place for a birthday or something, the tip is naturally part of the budgeted amount.  It has nothing to do with class...it has to do with living within your means regardless of income.   And tipping has NOTHING to do with difference of income class.  Tipping is NOT the difference between whether or not you can ever ever ever in your whole life go out to eat at Red Lobster, you know?  I mean, you get a Red Lobster bill of fifty bucks, and you tip an extra ten bucks...I mean...ten bucks is not the difference between lower class and middle class.....I'm not sure where you're getting that.  The food is tons more expensive than the tip.  And if you only saved up fifty bucks, well then, save up for another week so you have the sixty.  *shrug*

And Seth, its not that I do not appreciate your views as Jerry mentioned...its simply that I do not view tipping in that light.  Now, I do agree with you that I dislike an actual sales being like that..."offerings" and things like that.... "free with a $10 offering" bugs me too.  But tips are a SERVICE thing....which has nothing to do with an evangelist's CD table, you know?  Now if the evangelist delivered some CD's to your house, you'd probably want to give him a little gas money or something!  haha.

Why, because it been said if they cannot afford to tip, they should not come in such places. If they got the money to pay for a meal they have just as much right to enter such a place as one who has hundreds of dollars in their pocket. The person that states that, is prejudice, plus discriminating against the poor people. That is not being Christ like at all.

Ugh, being able to get a pay check ought to be a real good incentive for a person to be as good a worker as they can no matter what job they may have, even if its digging ditches. Plus knowing that if you don't do a good job the boss will fire you which will make you lose your pay check each payday, that ought to be a very good incentive.

And if that person happens to be a Christians, they should be the best worker they can so that they will be a very good witness for their Lord. There's nothing worse than a person that lets their boss & everyone know they are a Christian but yet they're lazy doing very poor quality of work. 
Edited by Jerry80871852

On a dive boat I once crewed there was a sign near the helm:

"Winds And Seas May Tip This Boat, But Only You Can Tip The Crew."

When the owners weren't around to terrorize the passengers, we sure did earn a lot more!  

There's more than one way to tip a crew member.  :biggrin:

I've never been one to do that, but a few are.

Wonder how many tips was given on that cruise ship that had to be towed in recently?

There's more than one way to tip a crew member.  :biggrin:

I've never been one to do that, but a few are.

Wonder how many tips was given on that cruise ship that had to be towed in recently?

Speaking of cruises, they add a generous tip to your bill!  You have to tell them to take it off.  

There was an old Catholic priest, a monsignor, who used to dive with us and our tip would be a whole baked chicken.  We didn't have utensils on board so I would carve it up with my dive knife and pass the pieces around.  Some liberals, who'd seen me brain a grouper with my knife minutes earlier, wondered aloud why I didn't disinfect it!  LOL