• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

PastorMatt

Are You A Good Tipper?

looks like an unpopular subject for me, but go ahaed and follow the world's lead in tipping.  Should they really get more than God demands? 

Do you also tip your grocer, who rings you at the store?  What about the barber, and yes, the paper boy.  Might as well wait for the mailman too, he could use the extra money to buy a lottery ticket.  Most of the people that wait on us could care less about Jesus and our tract.  I sometimes go around and find them in the wastebasket, but verbal witness and discerning an honest spirit does great things. 

Those of you who like to tip, why not tip your missionaries that are really in need?  Those waiters/waitresses also know the score when they accept the job, and all they really are concerned with is getting the employer to vote them "waiter of the month"!  They can put up signs like Walmart does to glorify the best worker.

Do any of you give your children large tips for doing their jobs, if they bother to have any (we call it "allowance")?  They could find ways of spending the money too. 

Talk about hypocrisy, and think it all the way through.  Who determines what amount is "proper" for tipping?  The world, that's who.

You go ahead and tip as you like, and feel better about yourselves for it, and I will continue to do as I have always done.

Amen, & amen, perhaps even while looking down their nose!

True, unpopular.

A tip is a tip, & when one is left a tip, however much it is they ought to be thankful. And, Marty, I've been told to get off of my soap box, but I refuse. Some people need to be preached to. And if it generates hate, so be it, many hated Christ too.

I know a few elderly people around these parts, that have little money, they just barely get by & the bright stop in their life is going out to eat, very seldom. Some here have already told them to stay home.

I know some waitress that waits on them, they do not think that way about them that spoken on the Christian forum, even though the waitress knows well they do not have the money to leave them a  tip. And every time they return, even though the waitress knows they will not leave a tip, they get great service, & are treated with much respect.

Its so sad how hard hearted some Christians are, no grace to be found within them.

Your right Marty, many Christians have gone the way of the world, & yes, its sad, very sad.

You will have to explain to me how tipping is sinfully following the world's lead.
I simply don't understand it.
Tipping to me is not a moral issue - it is an appreciation and kindness issue.

I personally think it would be far better to pay someone a reasonable wage, than have them rely on the kindness of others - but that is not the way your system works.

Oh boy!  Well, here's my two cents on the subject.  I used to deliver pizzas as a kid in 30 minutes or less and was grateful for any tip given.  I always made it a point to accept them in the spirit of thankfulness.  Many of my comrades were demanding and their attitudes reflected how much money was in their wallet at the end of the night.  I routinely made over $120 each night (Fri & Sat), about 50% more than the grumblers.

Today, when we can afford to go out, we tip well (18% = 3x the sales tax in my state) when we leave the tract behind or witness or invite them to our local church.  Sometimes I just don't have enough but make it a point to come back when I do or on the next delivery to make it up.  Of course, with poor service that is the fault of the server the tip is lowered or not given at all, save for a note on how to treat others.

I don't see how a server's tips correlate to the tithe for the Lord.

You will have to explain to me how tipping is sinfully following the world's lead.
I simply don't understand it.
Tipping to me is not a moral issue - it is an appreciation and kindness issue.

I personally think it would be far better to pay someone a reasonable wage, than have them rely on the kindness of others - but that is not the way your system works.

Dave, I don't know of anyone that said it was a sin. But I stand behind what I stated. And nothing I say here is directed at you, your post seems very reasonable, sensible. But some have no grace within them on this matter. Its directed at those who stated, insinuates that a poor elderly couple who has not the money to tip ought to stay home & not eat in a restaurant. And those who state your obligated to tip, that its a must.

A tip is just what it is, its a tip, & no one is obligated to give a tip. And the one that receives a tip ought to be thankful for it & should never expect that those they wait on are obligated to tip them. And the owner of a restaurant should never expect for those who patronize their place to be obligated ti tip their servers.

It is totally wrong to say a person has to tip, & its totally wrong to say that if anyone has not the money to leave a tip, they should never eat out.

And the two waitress I spoke of that was so kind to some poor elderly people that have not the money to leave tips, that they gave excellent service to, were tow very lost women who refuse to have anything to do with God. Sad, they show more compassion & grace that than some Christians.

Maybe there's some around here that are completely sheltered from elderly people who have little money that ventures out very few times to have a meal at a restaurant. I will add, the owner of this restaurant I spoke of in my last post is very kind to these two elderly couples as well.

Sad to there's many chain restaurants that brings in millions of dollars of profit each year after giving many $$$,$$$,$$$ to charities & such. They could stop giving to these secular charities & them they could afford to pay their waitress & waiters more & even drop their prices on their menu, & still make a good profit. Which I never eat at such places, the places I eat at are home owned & operated.

By the way, I give usually give 10%, sometimes a bit more,  but I do not give it because I have to. I give it when the food & services is good. Bad food & bad services does not deserve a tip. 

Not long back on a SBC board had a debate on this subject. I was amazed at the rhetoric they poured out. Many of them said poor people who do not have enough money to eat a meal & leave a tip should never eat at a restaurant. A few of them talked 

sensible. I believe it was mostly pastors in that discussion.

A couple of points to make here:

1. Pastors eat out a lot, as if it is "business".  It seems they can't meet with a fellow pastor without buying him dinner, etc.  Are these men business men?  WE pay them to go out and eat (part of the ministry?), and our money pays their tips.  I know, all is the Lord's, that is why I don't throw it away just to appear as a "nice guy".  I too tip, but not by force or demand (at least 20% seems to be their demand). 

2. If I didn't go out once in awhile to good restaurants, many of you would chastise me for not being a good husband to my wife!  So it is a "catch 22" situation, you can't win, no matter what you do.

By the way, you who do tip big, I would suspect your motive!  I eat at Burger King a lot, (healthier?), and avoid MacDonald's, but I get just as full and don't need to tip! 

Some folks want to play on your feelings and cite some circumstance to justify themselves among themselves. Christ wasn't about making 'you' feel better for a lack of love towards others. Take the case of those barely able to eat out; you know this to be true and you don't take them out, pay their check and their tip! Are there other Christians you know who would be blessed to provide for those unfortunate folks? How pharsaical to use this as an excuse for a poor testimony before the very world Christ told us to give the gospel. A (lost?) restaurant owner and lost waitresses showed greater compassion than a Christian? You either had to observe this or were told about it and still you don't insure it’s taken care of for those less fortunate (2 elderly couples) who only have this last remaining pleasure for their days left on earth. The love and compassion you've shown overwhelms me; if I'm shocked my Lord must be in tears.

While we get emotional for the purposes of justifying self, let's take a closer look at the waitress standing there with pad in hand waiting for us to decide if we want green beans or broccoli as a side. Her education or lack of it has provided her the only job she's qualified for; this job is close by and she has no car. A lost waitress has no concern or thought about what the parent restaurant chain does with profit. She isn't standing there calculating the percentage of the cost of your meal ‘Outback’ sends to 'legalize marijuana.' She's hoping she can take your order, get it right, get to the next customer, provide service which will warrant a good tip, and keep her boss happy so she keeps this job. She's thinking how she can afford to buy food, pay her rent, pay her child's doctor bills, afford a better place to live, and possibly how much she can give in tithes to the local IFB Church. The fact is you or I have no idea what God placed in this person's life besides our own brief encounter with them; so, let’s make it count for Christ.

No one is required to give a tip. If you don't tip don't continue to justify yourself but, don't give the impression Christians are more concerned with hoarding their money. The world (service people in this case) hear just enough of God's word to paraphrase, "give money to the poor," "the love of money," and "love your neighbor," for Satan to use it as an excuse in them rejecting God one more time.

This may sound a little selfish, but here goes anyway. If you’re a Christian, and pray for your meal, and leave a tract, and leave no tip, you're telling all those around you what Christ and Christianity is. So, please hide your praying and leave no tract if you don't intend to tip; I don't want spit in my last glass of water, if I follow you at the same table. Let's stop excusing and justifying Christian neglect and do something about it.

James 3:13 "Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom." 

We could all create special scenerios to suit the purpose.

I had one lady (woman might be a better term) who got angry because someone (not me) left too small a tip.  Maybe that person was glad to be able to go out for dinner, and had just enough to leave a small tip.  It goes both ways, friend, and if this makes you angry, take it up with the Lord, I am doing what I believe is right.

I do not care to give large tips so that they will appreciate my testimony.  Chances are, they hate me no matter how much I leave, and if they use that for an excuse to stay out of church, or turn their back on the saving grace of Jesus, that's up to them.  I do not believe in buying a good testimony, and I am not feeling guilty because I think they are affected spiritually with my tip.  Who am I to them anyway?  For that matter, who are you, "big bucks"?  I will continue to pray over my food publicly, and leave a tract, and let the Lord take it from there.

Some of you sound like the unsaved people I used to work with-- they too called us "high and mighty" and said we think we are superior to them because of some complaint they thought wasn't right, but the Lord saves them, not me or you, REMEMBER? 

Edited by irishman

We could all create special scenerios to suit the purpose.

I had one lady (woman might be a better term) who got angry because someone (not me) left too small a tip.  Maybe that person was glad to be able to go out for dinner, and had just enough to leave a small tip.  It goes both ways, friend, and if this makes you angry, take it up with the Lord, I am doing what I believe is right.

I do not care to give large tips so that they will appreciate my testimony.  Chances are, they hate me no matter how much I leave, and if they use that for an excuse to stay out of church, or turn their back on the saving grace of Jesus, that's up to them.  I do not believe in buying a good testimony, and I am not feeling guilty because I think they are affected spiritually with my tip.  Who am I to them anyway?  For that matter, who are you, "big bucks"?  I will continue to pray over my food publicly, and leave a tract, and let the Lord take it from there.

Some of you sound like the unsaved people I used to work with-- they too called us "high and mighty" and said we think we are superior to them because of some complaint they thought wasn't right, but the Lord saves them, not me or you, REMEMBER? 

We surely could, & we could make up & create stories that would break peoples hearts, but I did not have to in the last two post I made, the only thing posted in them is facts. Its not playing off of peoples emotions, feeling, again, facts.

But many do not care for facts. I live in small town rural America, you know, out in the sticks, boondocks, where everyone knows everyone. Out here you don't have to go across the tracks, or to the wrong side of town to be among the poor. They're right out here among us. Oh yes even out here we have some that isolate their self in the fancy housing additions filled with high priced homes with fancy landscapes with well groomed lawns, but they're not the normal in these parts yet. They belong to the country club class.

And I guarantee everyone I know two lost waitress that has more grace in their hearts for the elderly poor who have not the money to leave a tip.

I do not think it right to leave a tract.  Give one in the hand and invite them to church, yes.

I've wondered about that, really have. Nothing can beat handing them one, saying hello, inviting the to church.

However, I believe there's places a person could place a little box with tracts in it. Of course before doing so the polite thing would be to ask. It would be very impolite to place such a box for tracts, or even leave tracts laying out, in a place that the owner of the establishment would strongly object to. Of course if we did that we woudl want to be sure to check it often being sure its never empty.

For instants, if you knew someone that owned a store & asked them if you could put a small box of some sort on or near their counter & they gave you permission to do so, that would be great. Yet if you just laid some of them on their counter once in a while not asking permission, that would not be so good, in fact it would be impolite.

Perhaps its not such a good idea to leave them in the restroom of some establishments if you have not asked permission before hand from the owner. I have gone into restrooms seeing tracts scatter all over the floor, I feel sure no one would care to pick them up to read or stick them in their pocket to read later.

Whatever we do, we need to think it though & try to do it wisely.

One of our members is a chef at a local restaurant, and is very concerned for the lost, especially his family and friends and has regularly brought some of them to church with him.  With a young foreign student he had an evening meal to invite family, friends and students to have e meal and discuss the bible.  His boss said he could use the restaurant on Tuesdays evenings when it is usually closed.  They had about 17 youngsters there, including the daughter of the boss.  They intend to hold a fortnightly meeting alternately at church and perhaps the restaurant.  

Edited by Invicta

Tipping is basically mandatory in a restaurant, and is part of the salary of the wait staff.  If it wasn't, they would not automatically add 15% to your ticket of parties of 8 or more.

To not tip, or to tip stingy, is a very poor testimony.   When we go out to eat at a regular restaurant (which isn't as often as it used to be, with four kids now!), we figure in the cost of tip into our budget, because it IS part of the cost of eating out.  You don't just spend all you have on food, and say "Oh, sorry, I'm broke now, can't tip."  How rude!

And the person who said they suspect the motives of someone who tips "big"...first, define "big", and then explain that for me?  You completely lost me on that.

I'm ashamed to see how rude some of you are who are Christians.

Tipping is basically mandatory in a restaurant, and is part of the salary of the wait staff.  If it wasn't, they would not automatically add 15% to your ticket of parties of 8 or more.

To not tip, or to tip stingy, is a very poor testimony.   When we go out to eat at a regular restaurant (which isn't as often as it used to be, with four kids now!), we figure in the cost of tip into our budget, because it IS part of the cost of eating out.  You don't just spend all you have on food, and say "Oh, sorry, I'm broke now, can't tip."  How rude!

And the person who said they suspect the motives of someone who tips "big"...first, define "big", and then explain that for me?  You completely lost me on that.

I'm ashamed to see how rude some of you are who are Christians.

Yes, you and I are both ashamed, I'm not sure how my Savior is reacting, not favorably. But that pretty much goes with some folks these days. Great prayers, great internet preaching to others, very little personal compassion. They just need to put on there big boy pants admit it and serve Christ in love.

Jude 1:22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:

1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
Mt 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
Edited by 1Tim115

We can also apply Biblical principles to how we treat those who serve us for a living.

Personally, I don't see a need for anyone to relate sob stories on either side.
It is not about how bad they have it, or how bad you have it, but how you can serve the Lord in the way you treat people.

It has nothing to do with tipping per se, it is all about your testimony to them.
Don't tip, but treat them right = good testimony? I am sure it can.
Do tip AND treat them right = good testimony. No question.

Let's leave off the stories altogether and see how the Lord can be best honoured in this part of life.

We can also apply Biblical principles to how we treat those who serve us for a living.

Personally, I don't see a need for anyone to relate sob stories on either side.
It is not about how bad they have it, or how bad you have it, but how you can serve the Lord in the way you treat people.

It has nothing to do with tipping per se, it is all about your testimony to them.
Don't tip, but treat them right = good testimony? I am sure it can.
Do tip AND treat them right = good testimony. No question.

Let's leave off the stories altogether and see how the Lord can be best honoured in this part of life.

With all due respect, NO wait staff is going to feel you are "treating them right" if you do not tip.   Not possible.

I agree though....stories don't help the facts....because the fact is,  tipping fairly is the right thing to do.  Even the lost world has that much figured out.

With all due respect, NO wait staff is going to feel you are "treating them right" if you do not tip.   Not possible.

I agree though....stories don't help the facts....because the fact is,  tipping fairly is the right thing to do.  Even the lost world has that much figured out.

That's right, as you mentioned in another post, the tip is already factored in as part of their salary. If one doesn't tip those working under the tip system, they are stealing their service, they are stealing part of their wage.

If one doesn't want to tip, they shouldn't go to establishments where their workers salary is based upon expected tips.

If I was not going to tip, I would not go to a place where a tip is customary. It just goes against everything I believe as a Christian.

Edit: Ha, I should read first. John's last statement just said the same thing. 

Ha, just goes to show you it should have been DiGiorno's.

That's right, as you mentioned in another post, the tip is already factored in as part of their salary. If one doesn't tip those working under the tip system, they are stealing their service, they are stealing part of their wage.

If one doesn't want to tip, they shouldn't go to establishments where their workers salary is based upon expected tips.

So, may I ask this of you?

I know of two elderly couples, both of them have very little income, they just barely get by, both couples attend church, & I have no idea what they place in the collection plate, & that is none of my business. And its actually none of my business that they do not leave a tip.

What I have spoken about them is truth. Its not a made up story, its not fiction, although if it were that would be OK, Jesus spoke in parables in order to teach lessons. And I am told to Follow Him, that He set the example I should follow. And the only reason I brought it up is because it was stated, If people cannot afford to tip they should not go to theses places, or something similar to that. I was shocked to hear that stated.

Every now & again, not often, they splurge, by going to a local restaurant. I don't even know if these two couples know each other, but I do know that the owner of this restaurant knows them, & the waitress that works there knows them. And they know well these two couples have little money. And when they come in they know there will be no tip, & even though they know this, their services is great, & the owner nor the waitress minds.

Are you saying, & others to, that these two elderly couples should never go to this restaurant knowing they have not the money to tip?

I've been told years ago by waitress that has worked in our area that the worse tippers are those that have, & the best tippers are those who don't have.  At that time our money matters were a bit better, & now we do not go out too very often, & never on Sunday.

So, partner up with the lost world, it makes no difference to me.

As for compassion, it goes far beyond tipping.   Compassion for a soul does not always begin with paying someone to listen, and, essentially, that is what this discussion is about.  If I can impress the waiter/waitress with a "good" tip, I pay them for doing their job!  Sure, it may impress them, but they just go to the next table and forget about you and your tip.

Kitgirl, there is no cause to be nasty about this, and you especially, being a "mod"! 

if you are all so concerned about your testimony, why don't many of you women learn to dress like a Christian?  A little different subject, but the emphasis seems to be on our testimony.  No one can really say what another will think.  Maybe some humble waiter, who is just doing his job, realizes that we, like most other people, appreciate the cheapest places and the "specials".  Why go where they have specials if you are going to spend the same amount in tipping?  Now, maybe some go home and cry because they can't pay the rent or have an extra bill that they did not expect, but they did tip big!!  Makes no sense to me.  In some areas, I don't mind being "rude" as you put it.  (As Jerry put it, it may be rude to leave tracts where they are not wanted, but it is also necessary to their souls.  It's rude to force a child to take medicine too, but necessary in many cases)

Edited by irishman

So, may I ask this of you?

I know of two elderly couples, both of them have very little income, they just barely get by, both couples attend church, & I have no idea what they place in the collection plate, & that is none of my business. And its actually none of my business that they do not leave a tip.

What I have spoken about them is truth. Its not a made up story, its not fiction, although if it were that would be OK, Jesus spoke in parables in order to teach lessons. And I am told to Follow Him, that He set the example I should follow. And the only reason I brought it up is because it was stated, If people cannot afford to tip they should not go to theses places, or something similar to that. I was shocked to hear that stated.

Every now & again, not often, they splurge, by going to a local restaurant. I don't even know if these two couples know each other, but I do know that the owner of this restaurant knows them, & the waitress that works there knows them. And they know well these two couples have little money. And when they come in they know there will be no tip, & even though they know this, their services is great, & the owner nor the waitress minds.

Are you saying, & others to, that these two elderly couples should never go to this restaurant knowing they have not the money to tip?

I've been told years ago by waitress that has worked in our area that the worse tippers are those that have, & the best tippers are those who don't have.  At that time our money matters were a bit better, & now we do not go out too very often, & never on Sunday.

So, partner up with the lost world, it makes no difference to me.

As for compassion, it goes far beyond tipping.   Compassion for a soul does not always begin with paying someone to listen, and, essentially, that is what this discussion is about.  If I can impress the waiter/waitress with a "good" tip, I pay them for doing their job!  Sure, it may impress them, but they just go to the next table and forget about you and your tip.

Kitgirl, there is no cause to be nasty about this, and you especially, being a "mod"! 

if you are all so concerned about your testimony, why don't many of you women learn to dress like a Christian?  A little different subject, but the emphasis seems to be on our testimony.  No one can really say what another will think.  Maybe some humble waiter, who is just doing his job, realizes that we, like most other people, appreciate the cheapest places and the "specials".  Why go where they have specials if you are going to spend the same amount in tipping?  Now, maybe some go home and cry because they can't pay the rent or have an extra bill that they did not expect, but they did tip big!!  Makes no sense to me.  In some areas, I don't mind being "rude" as you put it.  (As Jerry put it, it may be rude to leave tracts where they are not wanted, but it is also necessary to their souls.  It's rude to force a child to take medicine too, but necessary in many cases)

Christ was never rude to lost individuals, emulate "Follow Him" in that too. 

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but I will just throw in my two cents here. I spent a good deal of time waitressing during my high school years to save up money for college. At none of the places I worked was the gratuity included on the customer's bill. By law, waitresses and waiters were all paid a lot less than minimum wage because tips were supposed to make up the bulk of their earnings.

The minimum amount anyone should tip (except in the case of really poor service) is 15% of the bill. You should tip 20% for really good service.

Charity behaveth not unseemly...It is not rude. It has good manners, which means it observes conventionally expected forms of behavior in social situations. You give your seat to a lady...You don't make rude noises....You don't jump in front of a person in a wheelchair...You tip the expected amount.