• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Did You Ever Study Pharisees?

I've begun a New Testament study of Jewish sects. It appears the Pharisees were discussed more frequently than any of the others.

So what is a Pharisee?

John the Baptist on Pharisees and Sadducees...

Matthew 3:7 "But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?"

Do you think Pharisees had any true repentance?. 

Jesus on Pharisaical righteousness... 

Matthew 5:20 "For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven."

The Lord could easily see through a 'show' of righteousness. Do you think ordinary people just accepted their actions as 'true worship practice' or, maybe they were fearful of confronting them?

Matthew 12:2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

Do you ever wonder if the Pharisees followed Christ's disciples around looking for opportunity to accuse them; what might they achieve in the accusations?
Edited by 1Tim115

The Pharisees are mentioned more because they had more power in the Sanhedrin and were more popular among the people. Only a few probably repented. Nicodemus is one example.

They followed Christ around so they could catch him doing something worthy of death. When this failed they drummed up something against him anyway so they could kill him.

Matthew 5:20. The Pharisees were righteous in the sense Paul spoke of in Phil. 3:5,6 yet they were lacking the weightier things of the law which were needed to enter the kingdom of heaven (Matt. 23:23)

Yes, the Pharisees hated Jesus, they hated him because he didn't only oppose and withstand their dogma but because he encouraged others to do the same. These Pharisees had been around a long time, they had personal opinions on just about every aspect of faith and practice. They were not about to allow some "Jesus," to open the eyes of the people to their hypocrisy. After all he was only a capenter! They enjoyed their "upper room" status and were not about to risk it.

Matthew 9:11 "And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?"

They thought their religious status might scare these disciples into leaving, or possibly cause them to doubt Christ.

Luke 5:30 "But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?"  

When they couldn't shake the disciple's faith and true worship of Christ they sought out verbal defamation of the disciples too.

This is becoming an interesting study for me, I hope I don't find myself looking in a mirror when its completed.

Matthew 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

This is the 2nd time the Pharisees used this false accusation. Possibly they thought the more they rail against him the more credible they become. In Matthew 9 the Pharisees used this same personal attack attempting to discredit Jesus Christ and chase Christ’s disciples from him. 
I've heard it said, if you repeat a lie enough people will begin to believe it’s true.

Matthew 9:34 “But the Pharisees said, He casteth out devils through the prince of the devils.” 

I wonder if there are any recent equivalents or similar affronts used by "Christians" to discredit or defame?

This is becoming an interesting study for me, I hope I don't find myself looking in a mirror when its completed.

Matthew 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

This is the 2nd time the Pharisees used this false accusation. Possibly they thought the more they rail against him the more credible they become. In Matthew 9 the Pharisees used this same personal attack attempting to discredit Jesus Christ and chase Christ’s disciples from him. 
I've heard it said, if you repeat a lie enough people will begin to believe it’s true.

Matthew 9:34 “But the Pharisees said, He casteth out devils through the prince of the devils.” 

I wonder if there are any recent equivalents or similar affronts used by "Christians" to discredit or defame?

I've heard many Christians in this country, who have heard missionaries speak of miracles they have witnessed on the mission fields in foreign countries, declare that either the missionaries are lying or the miracles were works of the devil.

I've heard many Christians in this country, who have heard missionaries speak of miracles they have witnessed on the mission fields in foreign countries, declare that either the missionaries are lying or the miracles were works of the devil.

I've not heard of this before, very sad! The only thing I've heard is just the usual hypocritical comments some Christians use. Our God can and does perform miracles every day. I've seen it in answered prayers and its not coincidence either.

Have you ever seen any evidence of this...

Matthew 15:1 "Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying, 2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread."
Mark 7:3 "For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders."

Pharisees show greater concern over dogmatic tradition than following closely the Lord Jesus Christ. 
Edited by 1Tim115

I've not heard of this before, very sad! The only thing I've heard is just the usual hypocritical comments some Christians use. Our God can and does perform miracles every day. I've seen it in answered prayers and its not coincidence either.

That's another good point, God does answer prayer, yet I hear many Christians who love to call answers to prayer "coincidence". I've even heard some Christians say those talking about answers to their prayers are just superstitious!

There have been many times over the years I've heard, or heard of, missionaries giving reports from the field and then several Christians who heard it to will get busy talking about why it can't be true, it must be demonic, the missionaries must be lying hoping to get more money, etc.

I've heard many missionaries working in Muslim lands who have spoke of Muslims coming to them after saying they had a dream the night before where Jesus told them to come to them. These Muslims are typically visibly shaken from their dream and they don't have some fanciful story to tell of what Jesus looked like (in fact, I've never heard any describe Jesus, only that they somehow knew the one talking to them in their dream was Jesus). In most all such accounts, the Muslim is very eager and open to hear the Gospel and they are born again right there, even knowing the potential persecution they may face.

Even so, I've heard so many Christians state emphatically that Jesus doesn't speak to anybody in dreams, God wouldn't use dreams to reach Muslims, and other naysaying comments.

I can't verify what the Muslims said but, I won't deny Christ can come to us through prayer.

Matthew 21:45 "And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them."

Pharisees consider themselves "a cut above everyone" and cannot stand correction.

I can't verify what the Muslims said but, I won't deny Christ can come to us through prayer.

Matthew 21:45 "And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them."

Pharisees consider themselves "a cut above everyone" and cannot stand correction.

I can't verify what the Muslims said either, but I doubt so many missionaries over the recent years I've been hearing this would all lie about it. I'm willing to give room to God to work in that way if He chooses to.

While I've never had a dream where I heard God telling me something, I've had a very few occasions where I've woke from a dream that disturbed me and I "felt" an urgent need to pray for someone.

Back to the Pharisees, they did indeed see themselves as the spiritual elite; above reproach. Unfortunately for them, they only tended to matters of appearance, not to matters of the heart and soul.

There are some pastors and others within Christianity today who see themselves in similar fashion. They view themselves as being above others, not to be questioned, and very ready to speak out against others. To most, these would seem to be very spiritual, but when we look deeper at their conduct and choice of words it's clear their spirituality is much more outward than inward.

Very early in my Christian walk I was probably close to this myself. I had no one to disciple me and as I got into the Word myself I started in the Old Testament and I kept seeing all these laws and thought I had to keep them and wondered why others were not doing so. Thankfully the Lord brought help into my life and I didn't reside there long, but it seems some do fall into that and remain there.

God converted a Pharisee (Paul) to take the gospel to us poor wretched Gentiles!

Philippians 3:4-6 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: [5] Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; [6] Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

So we have Nicodemus and Paul who repented...

Back to the Pharisees, they did indeed see themselves as the spiritual elite; above reproach. Unfortunately for them, they only tended to matters of appearance, not to matters of the heart and soul.

There are some pastors and others within Christianity today who see themselves in similar fashion. They view themselves as being above others, not to be questioned, and very ready to speak out against others. To most, these would seem to be very spiritual, but when we look deeper at their conduct and choice of words it's clear their spirituality is much more outward than inward.

Very early in my Christian walk I was probably close to this myself. I had no one to disciple me and as I got into the Word myself I started in the Old Testament and I kept seeing all these laws and thought I had to keep them and wondered why others were not doing so. Thankfully the Lord brought help into my life and I didn't reside there long, but it seems some do fall into that and remain there.

Yes and there are some pastors who cannot take the promotion. The "Peter Principle" applies; People are promoted until they reach their highest level of incompetence.

Matthew 22:15 "Then went the Pharisees, and took counsel how they might entangle him in his talk."

Pharisees attempt to be clandestine but are more obvious than they assume. They will bring up any subject; but rarely initiate discussions around God's word.

Pharisees also have an aversion to correction and exhortation; some, are so taken with their perceived preeminence they are blind to their own spiritual shortcomings.

Matthew 15:12 "Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?"

Pharisees take offense when they are rebuked by God's word; or like the man with beam in his eye, they just can't see it

God converted a Pharisee (Paul) to take the gospel to us poor wretched Gentiles!

Philippians 3:4-6 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: [5] Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; [6] Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

So we have Nicodemus and Paul who repented...

Yes, just because someone is a Pharisee doesn't mean they cannot be saved. Just because a Christian is Pharisaical in actions doesn't mean they are not able to recognize this. Christian peers need to be willing to present the truth to them, in love, with the purpose of glorifying God and restoring peace to Christian brotherhood. I suggest anyone attempting this start with a lot prayer preparation. 

Don't think that the first admonition will have effect.

Proverbs 19:19 “A man of great wrath shall suffer punishment: for if thou deliver him, yet thou must do it again.”

Back to Paul.  God didn't give him forgetfulness of the man he was before and this provides us a look into the "Pharisee of Pharisees."

Acts 26:5 "Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee."

Pharisees are inflexible and allow little to nothing for Christian liberty.

Philippians 3:4-6
4 "Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:"
5 "Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;"
6 "Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless."

Pharisees are anxious to strive through the flesh, legalistic, prone to persecute others (now Christians). They believe they have the only truth. They believe they are blameless.

Matthew 22:34 "But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together."

Pharisees flock together when they perceive their doctrine may be challenged.

Luke 7:39 "Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner."

Pharisees take occasion to say Christians touched and tasted and should perish as a result (usually only their personal opinion) they enjoy quoting Col. 2:20-22, it doesn't matter the context.

Matthew 23:13 "But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in."

Pharisees use accusation and attacks attempting to cause others to question their faith. 

Edited by 1Tim115

Matthew 23:25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.

Pharisees appear pure on the outside but inside they intend to extort your faith and weigh down spirit and truth worship.