• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

irishman

"another Gospel"?

Gal 1:6  I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
Gal 1:7  Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

"Another Gospel?  I wonder if Paul had those that followed different versions, just as we do today?

They may have rejected the Word of God and watered it down then too, as we see in v.7 above.  It is not "another gospel", but a sham and a deliberate act to undermine the Word of God.

Different versions of the gospel, or different Bible versions? I'm thinking you mean the latter.

Reminds me of the following verse which confirms "many" were watering down (corrupting is the term) the word of God in Paul's day.

2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

Remember, the Devil has been trying to corrupt it since the beginning when he lied to Eve, and likely even before that when his pride got the better of him as the anointed Cherub!

Yes, I mean different versions of the Bible, the "Pharisee Version"!  Paul even speaks of "another Christ" as if there one, but obviously He was teaching that they are deceived.  The "other Christ" would be of their own making by corrupting the Living Word (Jesus Himself) through the written Word. 

This "modern version" things is really nothing new, I suppose.

Please excuse me, did someone say there was something new?

Ec 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

The context of the book of Galatians tells us that it is, indeed, a 'gospel', a 'good news', so to speak, unto salvation, though fales, in that the premise concerns the former Jews who were teaching the people the need to not only be saved by grace through faith, but also the necessity of keeping the laws of Moses and being circumcised, as well, to be/remain saved. Thus, since the gospel is the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus for salvation, so adding or taking from it would be another, or a false, gospel.

It wasn't new, just trying to put new wine of faith into the old wineskin of the law/works.

I agree, Paul was teaching against a Works based salvation such as the social gospel that the Methodist teach. Or the quick prayerism that is filling our Baptist Churches. Either way it is basing it on works and not on the Grace of God by putting your faith in Christ and truly repenting.

One doesn't need an MV to preach a false gospel. There are many men doing it every day by twisting a King James Bible

Of course, you miss the point, but with the new versions its much easier to prove, backup their false teachings. And that is the major reason for new versions.