• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

swathdiver

So What Do Y'all Think?

Christian: It's time to vote with your feet

I confess right out of the gate that this column is not going to be enjoyable for me to write. It may not be enjoyable for some to read. But the time has come that it has to be said. If Christians truly have any intentions of helping to preserve liberty for their children and grandchildren, they must put rhetoric, tradition, friendship, and personal feelings aside and take action. Christian: it is time to vote with your feet.

And while many people who never darken the doors of a church love to cast stones at preachers and churches, I have been in the Gospel ministry all of my adult life. I have pastored for over 37 years. I know the inner workings of church work; I personally know hundreds of preachers; I understand how preachers think; I have attended hundreds of church meetings and fellowships, and hundreds of pastors’ conferences and seminars. I know what it’s like to balance a church budget, counsel families in need, stand with a congregation in good times and bad. There isn’t an area of church work with which I am not very familiar. And I can also say that for over 37 years, I have never desired or attempted to harm another man’s ministry. And that is not the intention of this column.

However, the time has come in America to tell it like it is. These are not ordinary times. Our country is on the precipice of tyranny and oppression like we have not seen since the days of Colonial America before our War for Independence. It is no hyperbole to say that what we do–or don’t do–now will determine the state of freedom in America for the next 50 years or more. To make no decision is to decide for tyranny. We can no longer pretend that what we do doesn’t matter.

One of the most glaring differences between Colonial and modern America is the attitude of our pastors.

In 1770-1776 (and actually for many years previous to this period), Colonial pastors (of all denominations) lit the fire of freedom in the hearts of their congregants like no generation has ever seen–before or since. The British Crown was so frustrated with these patriot-pastors that they coined a moniker for them. They were called, “The Black (or Black-Robed) Regiment.” In truth, Colonial pastors were more influential in the “holy cause of liberty” (Patrick Henry) from their pulpits than any military regiment on the battlefield. And, yes, many pastors in Colonial America also fought on the battlefields in our War for Independence.

Today’s pastors, on the other hand, are mostly noted for saying absolutely NOTHING about the attacks that are currently being waged against our liberties. And when I say NOTHING, I mean absolutely NOTHING. About the only thing they seem to be able to do is pass out some slanted “voter guides” every Presidential election. But most don’t even do that. A few (a very few) will encourage their congregations to protest abortion; some (again, a very small number) will preach a “pro-life” sermon on “Sanctity of Life” Sunday each January. But most deliberately and stubbornly refuse to take a public position on any subject that has the air of being “political.”

Should we really wonder why our country is teetering on the precipice of oppression and slavery?

When Bible stories such as Daniel And The Lion’s Den, The Three Hebrew Children And The Burning Fiery Furnace, or the stories of Gideon, Jephthah, and Samson are told, they are taught simply as allegories or explained away as being for “another time.” The practical application of myriads of Bible examples of resistance to tyranny is NEVER TAUGHT in the vast majority of most churches today. NEVER!

I preached a message last Sunday to the people of Liberty Fellowship entitled, “Shepherd Or Hireling?” The text was John 10. To watch the video of this message, go to:

“Shepherd Or Hireling?”

In this chapter, Jesus said, “But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.” (John 10:12, 13 KJV)

Jesus made it clear that the central difference between a true shepherd and a hireling (hired hand) was that the shepherd was willing to fight and die for the protection of the sheep, while the hired hand was not willing to risk his life for the sheep.

Pastors are depicted as being shepherds. Is it not then the central duty of the pastor to be willing to fight and die for the protection of his people? When he sees the wolves approaching, does he run away and leave the sheep to the slaughter or does he confront the wolves and fight to the death to protect them?

Ladies and gentlemen, the wolves are attacking the flock! Those mangy, mad, maniacal monsters are attacking the lives and liberties of the American people (including the Christian people in our churches) with a vengeance. When they attempt to strip us of our right to defend ourselves with arms, they are attacking the very lives and liberties of our homes and families. Life is a precious gift of Almighty God, and anyone who would make our children and families vulnerable to death and destruction by wicked and evil men is tantamount to a mad wolf that attacks the life of a little lamb.

How dare our shepherds (pastors) stand silent and mute in the face of such evil? How dare they refuse to sound the alarm? How dare they piously proclaim that God “has not called” them to perform this most fundamental duty of a shepherd? Does not their refusal to fight, does not their silence, does not their fear and inaction prove that they are not really shepherds at all, but merely hirelings? I believe so.

And knowing that what I am about to say will be misinterpreted by some, I say it still: preaching the Gospel, by itself, will NOT save America. And these preachers who hide behind the mantra that the only thing God has called them to do is preach the Gospel, and that only preaching the Gospel will save America, are either themselves seriously deluded or are despicable cowards hiding behind the veil of pretended spirituality.

America has had more Gospel preaching during the last 50 years than any nation in history. There are more churches, more Christian schools, more Gospel radio and television programs, more missionary endeavors, more inner-city missions and shelters, more Bible publications, and more Gospel influence in America during the last 50 years than in any country in the history of the world.

And what has happened to America over the last 50 years? Our historic Christian culture has been turned into rank hedonism and licentiousness; legal abortion has taken the lives of over 60 million innocent unborn babies; a blatant police-state is proliferating; more babies are being born out of wedlock than at any time in history; and now we are facing the tyrannical attempt to ban and confiscate America’s premier self-defense tool: the semi-automatic rifle. And all of this happened, and is happening, while hundreds of thousands of pastors and churches across the land “preach the Gospel.”

Again I say, preaching the Gospel, by itself, will not save America. Christians have to be taught how to understand; how to discern the difference between good and evil; the principles of law and justice; jurisdictional authority; and the principles of Christian resistance. As long as pastors refrain from teaching these essential and necessary truths, our nation will continue its slide into tyranny and oppression–all the Gospel preaching going forth notwithstanding.

I ask you: if the only thing God expected us to do was preach the Gospel, why did He give us a voluminous Bible, which is filled with examples, principles, teachings, and truths relating to virtually every important area of life? If one takes only those Scriptures that deal specifically with the Gospel, he or she is going to have a very small Bible, my friends. The stories of the Old Testament, for example, were written for “our learning.” (Romans 15:4) Hebrews 11 challenges us with the examples of Old Testament men and women who were “not afraid of the king’s commandment,” who did not fear “the wrath of the king,” who “subdued kingdoms,” “waxed valiant in fight,” and who “turned to flight the armies of the aliens.”

Furthermore, the Apostle Paul spent about as much time in jail as he did out of jail. And, of course, he was thrown in jail for breaking the unjust, evil laws of men. Every apostle except John was killed by tyrannical governments because they refused to submit to unjust laws. How First Century Christians chose to resist versus how free men and women in Colonial America chose to resist is material for another day. The point is, THEY ALL CHOSE TO RESIST.

The story of God’s people, from the beginning of time, is the story of people who refused to submit to tyrannical, unjust laws and chose to “obey God rather than men.” Yet, modern American pastors refuse to resist. They choose to sheepishly comply with the unjust laws of evil, wicked men. And they refuse to be the courageous shepherds for their people. It’s time to say it: any pastor who will not warn his church of the impending tyranny that is sweeping our land, any pastor who refuses to take a stand for the right of the people in his congregation to keep and bear arms–and, therefore, be able to protect the precious gift of life that has been given by God–and any pastor who stands silent while evil men trample the God-given liberties that were purchased at so awful a cost by our Christian forebears must be regarded, not as a shepherd, but as a hireling. It really doesn’t matter how nice he is, or how educated he is, or how charming he is, or how inspirational his sermons are, or how sincere he is: if he refuses to stand and fight the wolves, he is a hireling, not a shepherd.

By the way, to see the list of pastors around the country who have vowed to fight for the right of their flocks to keep and bear arms, go to:

Second Amendment Pastors

It’s time to speak plainly. The time for politeness and timidity is behind us. Any pastor who refuses to take a stand of resistance to the evil forces of tyranny that are now sweeping as a horde of locusts upon us is as guilty of the loss of our nation’s freedoms and liberties as are the evil despots who perpetrate these atrocities. He is as guilty of the death and destruction of his people as the hireling who flees in the face of the wolf is guilty of the death and destruction of the sheep.

Let me ask you a question: would you vote for a legislator or senator who would strip you of your right to keep and bear arms? Would you passively and indifferently continue to support such a one simply because of his or her political party or nice personality or inspirational speeches? Would you not determine such a one to be a dangerous threat to your liberties, and to the safety and security of your children, and reject him or her with your vote? Sure you would. So, why would you continue to support a pastor who facilitates these ravenous beasts?

Christian, it’s time to vote with your feet and leave these silent, sheepish pastors and find a shepherd-pastor who will fight for the lives and liberties of your homes and children.

It’s time for a reality check: if your pastor is not warning the flock, alerting the flock, and fighting for the life and freedom of the flock, he is helping to put the chains of slavery and oppression upon the necks of your children and grandchildren. If he is not engaged in the fight to preserve the liberties of our nation, he is helping to put the chains of slavery and oppression upon the necks of your children and grandchildren. If your pastor refuses to publicly take a stand against the wolves of our land, he is facilitating and enabling those wolves to tear and shred the life and flesh of our country.

As I studied what God said about His shepherds in the Old Testament, I came upon this fascinating passage from the book of Amos: “Thus saith the LORD; As the shepherd taketh out of the mouth of the lion two legs, or a piece of an ear; so shall the children of Israel be taken out that dwell in Samaria in the corner of a bed, and in Damascus in a couch.” (Amos 3:12 KJV)

Do you see the picture of the shepherd God paints in this passage? The shepherd fights for his sheep so fiercely and ferociously that he fights the lion even when the sheep is half-devoured. If he is only able to save two legs or an ear, he fights like a wild man for every part of the sheep. This is how a true shepherd is supposed to fight.

We need pastors to stand up and fight for the lives and liberties of their flock like wild men (figuratively speaking). We need pastors to scratch and claw and bite for every last little bit of life and liberty of our country. Anything less is to wear the mark of a hireling for all eternity.

Christian, cast your vote! Choose a side! The line in the sand is being drawn between liberty and tyranny. Your pastor cannot be neutral, and neither can you!

I dare say that if every Christian across America who, in his or her heart, truly believes in liberty were to flee these say-nothing hirelings and run to shepherds who are genuinely standing for truth and liberty in our land, we could turn the ship of state around almost overnight. This is more important than the “youth program” or “children’s ministry” or “senior-saints program” or “music program,” or nice buildings or “my friends are there,” or any number of other things that so many people seem to think is so important about which church they attend.

Ladies and gentlemen, the survival of our republic is at stake! For God’s sake, and for the sake of your children, don’t just complain, VOTE WITH YOUR FEET!

P.S. Remember, too, that my attorney son and I are now in the process of publishing a blockbuster new book entitled, “To Keep Or Not To Keep: Why Christians Should Not Give Up Their Guns.” This book conclusively shows that nowhere does the Bible teach that God’s people are supposed to sheepishly give up their arms in the face of tyranny. In fact, the Bible teaches just the opposite. This book is absolutely must-reading for every Christian (or non-Christian) who desires to know the truth about what the Bible teaches relative to the right of people to keep and bear arms. We are taking pre-orders now. It’s possible that the first printing of this book will be sold out even before it is printed. Orders are coming in feverishly. If you want a first edition copy of this new book, go to:

Keep Your Arms

Can I ask - is this your original, or have you copied it from someone?

Notice the link at the bottom, it is written by Chuck Baldwin who started Crossroads Baptist Church in Pensacola, Fl and is currently in Montana (I think -- or maybe Idaho, I didn't go to the link).

Notice the link at the bottom, it is written by Chuck Baldwin who started Crossroads Baptist Church in Pensacola, Fl and is currently in Montana (I think -- or maybe Idaho, I didn't go to the link).

A.I rarely.click links on forums.

B. whilst I didn't think his name was "Chuck" I really didn't know.

Thought I would ask, rather than assume one way or the other.....

But thanks.

Interesting stuff. Some think I get too political because I happen to see prophecy beginning to reveal itself in the current events. Really, more than anything, my dear wife is to blame for awakening me to many of the realities of today. I was a military man, who went to a miltary church for many years, and was very patriotic. Not so much, nowadays.

But its interesting: not long back we went around concerning things like taxes, I believe, as well as marriage licenses. In those, the points I was trying to make was a warning of the slow encroachment of the government into all aspects of our lives-in taxes, that we pay far more than we are required by the tax codes, and that by studying it, we will find that most citizens actually don't owe anything-but I was poo-poo'ed over it. The fact that God ordained marriage and the federal government has no right or reason to impose a license on it, and I was told that government has a right to do it.  But we miss the fact that the government, time and again, gives itself the right to do whatever it wants. We see it happening now with the second ammendment, as the media slowly places into the minds of the people the idea that the second ammendment is old-fashioned, and unnecessary in a modern, 'civilized' society, and that the entire Constitution is a 'living document', which should grow and evolve with society, (meaning, do away with what the government doesn't like). Oppresive taxes, license requirements for our rights, be it marriage or gun ownership, etc, is all part and parcel of us losing our rights overall, and becoming subjects once again. Why? because of the idea that, if the government says its so, then it must be so.

Yes, I agree that the Bible is to be our first and final argument: if the government tries to have us go against it, we resist. But what about when the government goes against its own laws? Do we go along with it? In the military, we were taught that it was unlawful to obey an unlawful order; no 'just following commands' allowed. Yet, when the government does things and passes laws and presidential edicts that go against the existing laws of our country, to allow it, and to go along with it, is just as bad.

I am not anti-government: I am pro-GOOD, law-abiding, public-serving government. Thats not what we have had for a long time, now.

This world will soon pass, why waste precious time, skills and resources over it? Voting, moving from one spot to another, donating to this wordlly cause or that, will be burned up in fire.

Christians are called to a much higher calling than such matters. Our citizenship is in heaven, we are children, priests and ambassadors of the Most High. If we are entangling ourselves in such matters we are not giving ourselves fully to loving the Lord, growing in the Lord and serving the Lord.

America, Greece, Russia, China, Costa Rica, are all going to meet the same end. The kingdom of God, of which we belong, is eternal.

The first thing a Christian should be concerned with is preparing themselves for their Lord's return, then preparing everyone else. Why should it matter if we are a Christian living in America, or Saudi Arabia? All over the world, brothers and sisters in Christ are living in what could adequately be called appalling conditions. They have no freedoms, are living in hiding from their government, and have only what God provides them to live off of. Yet time and again when I hear missionary reports from these areas, they are filled with how much joy the people have to be able to go to Heaven when they die.

It is so hard for me to write this, as I proudly served in the Navy and feel very strongly about the Constitution, but I can't help it. This is what the Bible teaches. For Christians to not be concerned with their place in this world, but rather their standing with the Saviour. When the Rapture takes place and we find ourselves in front of the Judgement Seat of Christ, it will be our actions, our deeds, our thoughts, our words, every little detail about our lives that will be placed before Christ to be tried by fire. All of our deeds that were done in honor of Christ, will remain as treasure. Everything else will be consumed by the fire. What we have left is our reward. I'm terrified that what I will have left will only be a few small trinkets! I want to be able to give Jesus a tribute that is worthy of a King! The only way that that will be possible will be if I devote every single ounce of my energy, resources and time. If I spend that time worrying about my "freedoms" and "quality of life", I will be robbing Christ of His reward. After all, the only thing we are entitled to (and deserve) is death and seperation from God, but praise Him that He would send His Son to pay the price for our sins!

As much as my flesh wants to jump on the bandwagon, grab up my arms and rush to the rally point, I have to remember to walk in the Spirit as commanded in Galations 5:16.

The first thing a Christian should be concerned with is preparing themselves for their Lord's return, then preparing everyone else. Why should it matter if we are a Christian living in America, or Saudi Arabia? All over the world, brothers and sisters in Christ are living in what could adequately be called appalling conditions. They have no freedoms, are living in hiding from their government, and have only what God provides them to live off of. Yet time and again when I hear missionary reports from these areas, they are filled with how much joy the people have to be able to go to Heaven when they die.

It is so hard for me to write this, as I proudly served in the Navy and feel very strongly about the Constitution, but I can't help it. This is what the Bible teaches. For Christians to not be concerned with their place in this world, but rather their standing with the Saviour. When the Rapture takes place and we find ourselves in front of the Judgement Seat of Christ, it will be our actions, our deeds, our thoughts, our words, every little detail about our lives that will be placed before Christ to be tried by fire. All of our deeds that were done in honor of Christ, will remain as treasure. Everything else will be consumed by the fire. What we have left is our reward. I'm terrified that what I will have left will only be a few small trinkets! I want to be able to give Jesus a tribute that is worthy of a King! The only way that that will be possible will be if I devote every single ounce of my energy, resources and time. If I spend that time worrying about my "freedoms" and "quality of life", I will be robbing Christ of His reward. After all, the only thing we are entitled to (and deserve) is death and seperation from God, but praise Him that He would send His Son to pay the price for our sins!

As much as my flesh wants to jump on the bandwagon, grab up my arms and rush to the rally point, I have to remember to walk in the Spirit as commanded in Galations 5:16.

Amen! Very well said!

This is where the Lord has led me too. As I look back over my earlier years as a Christians I'm sad and ashamed at how much time I wasted with politics and other worldly matters. I pray my latter end shall be lived for His glory and honour and not the things of this world.

As you say, this is what the Lord calls us to. It's not easy, it's not popular and even most Christians fight against it, but it's the high calling everyone who claims the name of Christ is called to. May more of us yield to His Lordship and actually show our love for Him by our obedience as the Word calls us to.

2Ti 2:4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Mt 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

Mr 4:19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.

I do not care for the man, & all of his worldly political talk, about the cares of this life, this world, chokes out the Word of God, we need to let Christ live though us, & be about the work which our Father has given us. & if we rightly doing that, plus taking care of our family, teaching them as we should, furnishing them their needs, supporting our church as we should. them we will not have time for such things. 

Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mt 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Like the man running the race.

1Co 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

The Olympic runners that wins the race is the ones that that sacrifices their whole life to being the best runner they can, practice, practice  & more practice. Jesus' life was dedicated to pleasing the Father, Paul's life was dedicate to the Gospel, Jesus, God, & ours should be too.

If we are really going to run this spiritual race, & we really love God, them we will sacrifice our life letting Christ live though us, & our life will be dedicated "ONLY TO GOD" & the work He has given us. All of that worldly stuff chokes out the Word of God within us.

Ga 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

At the moment Jesus comes for His own, & that can happen at any moment, the only ones He will take out of this world will be those that's saved, those that are lost will be left. 

And yes, I know, preaching this you do not get near as many amen's,  but our concern ought to be to live God's Word every moment of every day, so that we might gain some, counting any worldly things that we lose in order to further the Gospel gain.

1Co 9:19 ¶ For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

1Ti 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

2Ti 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

1Jo 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
1Jo 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
1Jo 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

I do not like the statement that "preaching the Gospel, by itself, will not save America".  Yes it will "save" America.  And that is what we are to be concerned with.  The salvation of Americans through the Gospel.  If the people are "saved" through the Gospel, the country will follow.  The problem is not America.  The problem is the preaching of this watered down gospel that is not having true converts.  What did the Apostles concern themselves with, preaching the Gospel.  If it worked for them, it will work for us.  If it is not working for us, then "we" are the problem.  The Holy Spirit is just as strong today as He was at Pentacost.  The problem is we think that the prophecy in the Bible concerning "falling away" means that the Holy Spirit is in handcuffs and that God stopped worrying about "that none should perish".  Our weapons are not carnal (2 Cor. 10:4).  If we change our thinking, in that we need to get "entangled" in the affairs of this world, than we are not using weapons that are "mighty through God" but are using carnal weapons. 

If the man who wrote the article feels that the preaching behind the pulpit is weak, it is not a "Gospel" problem, it is a discipling problem.  He should not have made such strong statements against the preaching of the Gospel.  Preachers are not discipling these days.  They are too concerned with preaching on current events and politics.  His solution is the exact cause of why this country is in the shape it is in.  Stop preaching out of the newspaper and get back to preaching God's Word! 

blockbuster new book "To Keep or not to Keep: why Christians should not give up their guns."  You keep your gun, I will keep my Sword.  And if you think it is the same as bringing a knife to a gun battle, you are sorely mistaken! 

2Ti 2:4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Mt 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

Mr 4:19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.

I do not care for the man, & all of his worldly political talk, about the cares of this life, this world, chokes out the Word of God, we need to let Christ live though us, & be about the work which our Father has given us. & if we rightly doing that, plus taking care of our family, teaching them as we should, furnishing them their needs, supporting our church as we should. them we will not have time for such things. 

Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mt 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Like the man running the race.

1Co 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

The Olympic runners that wins the race is the ones that that sacrifices their whole life to being the best runner they can, practice, practice  & more practice. Jesus' life was dedicated to pleasing the Father, Paul's life was dedicate to the Gospel, Jesus, God, & ours should be too.

If we are really going to run this spiritual race, & we really love God, them we will sacrifice our life letting Christ live though us, & our life will be dedicated "ONLY TO GOD" & the work He has given us. All of that worldly stuff chokes out the Word of God within us.

Ga 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

At the moment Jesus comes for His own, & that can happen at any moment, the only ones He will take out of this world will be those that's saved, those that are lost will be left. 

And yes, I know, preaching this you do not get near as many amen's,  but our concern ought to be to live God's Word every moment of every day, so that we might gain some, counting any worldly things that we lose in order to further the Gospel gain.

1Co 9:19 ¶ For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

1Ti 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

2Ti 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

1Jo 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
1Jo 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
1Jo 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

I'll give this a hearty, loud AMEN! Preach on!!!

I do not like the statement that "preaching the Gospel, by itself, will not save America".  Yes it will "save" America.  And that is what we are to be concerned with.  The salvation of Americans through the Gospel.  If the people are "saved" through the Gospel, the country will follow.  The problem is not America.  The problem is the preaching of this watered down gospel that is not having true converts.  What did the Apostles concern themselves with, preaching the Gospel.  If it worked for them, it will work for us.  If it is not working for us, then "we" are the problem.  The Holy Spirit is just as strong today as He was at Pentacost.  The problem is we think that the prophecy in the Bible concerning "falling away" means that the Holy Spirit is in handcuffs and that God stopped worrying about "that none should perish".  Our weapons are not carnal (2 Cor. 10:4).  If we change our thinking, in that we need to get "entangled" in the affairs of this world, than we are not using weapons that are "mighty through God" but are using carnal weapons. 

If the man who wrote the article feels that the preaching behind the pulpit is weak, it is not a "Gospel" problem, it is a discipling problem.  He should not have made such strong statements against the preaching of the Gospel.  Preachers are not discipling these days.  They are too concerned with preaching on current events and politics.  His solution is the exact cause of why this country is in the shape it is in.  Stop preaching out of the newspaper and get back to preaching God's Word! 

Absolutely!!!

The "Christian Right" loves to denounce the liberals for their use of politics yet they themselves forsake the way God put forth to live, instead they look to politics. The "social gospel" is often rightly denounced yet the "conservative Christians" practice their own brand of "social gospel".

Christ and Christ alone is the answer. Just as the Apostles and early Christians didn't entangle themselves in the world, didn't look to poltiical solutions, didn't look to "social activism", but put their full lives into wholly following Christ and living by His commands,so should we.

The Holy Ghost can do mighty things when men of God obey Christ.

blockbuster new book "To Keep or not to Keep: why Christians should not give up their guns."  You keep your gun, I will keep my Sword.  And if you think it is the same as bringing a knife to a gun battle, you are sorely mistaken! 

I read a quote from some Christians who were preaching the Gospel in a third world country. They were arrested because someone claimed they had AK-47s and other guns. When the cops questioned them and demanded to see the guns, one of the men opened his duffle bag, pulled out his Bible and told them that was his only weapon. He told them his weapon was used to kill evil, not to kill men.

I've seen the Word of God stop evil men in their tracks.

I'll carry the cross Christ gave me but, I won't hang myself on it waiting for Jesus Christ to return.

I'll possess the land and be thankful for it with diligence.

I can chew gum and walk at the same time.

Can you break that down for us simple minded folks? :puzzled3:

Romans is clear we are to live by the rule of government as long as that government is ruling as it should.  It appears some have a vision of our Christ as a pacifist sitting idly by and doing nothing to justify their idea of peace.  Hence we see the result of this today, the church sitting idly by while the world becomes worse and worse.  Attempt to justify it by whatever means you may.

Romans is clear we are to live by the rule of government as long as that government is ruling as it should.  It appears some have a vision of our Christ as a pacifist sitting idly by and doing nothing to justify their idea of peace.  Hence we see the result of this today, the church sitting idly by while the world becomes worse and worse.  Attempt to justify it by whatever means you may.

No, Romans is clear we are to live by the rule of government unless they order us to do something totally contrary to the commands of the Lord. In such cases we are to obey the Lord and be willing to accept the consequences and rejoice.

No, Romans is clear we are to live by the rule of government unless they order us to do something totally contrary to the commands of the Lord. In such cases we are to obey the Lord and be willing to accept the consequences and rejoice.

That is what I meant by as it should, clearly.  Our government clearly is not following the commands of God, Perhaps Allah, but not God.

That is what I meant by as it should, clearly.  Our government clearly is not following the commands of God, Perhaps Allah, but not God.

Romans doesn't tell us the government must follow the commands of God in order for us to obey them. Christians are called to obey Christ, not the government. We are called to obey the government in all aspects except for if they order us to do something contrary to a command of Christ. Otherwise, no matter how much we disagree with the government, how wicked they are, we are to abide by their rules.

Romans doesn't tell us the government must follow the commands of God in order for us to obey them. Christians are called to obey Christ, not the government. We are called to obey the government in all aspects except for if they order us to do something contrary to a command of Christ. Otherwise, no matter how much we disagree with the government, how wicked they are, we are to abide by their rules.

John you seem passionate about following my posts to critic them.  I personally don't have the time or desire to debate with you.  You are always right, I get it.  

I am not looking for my peace in anything on this earth.  I don't see the church sitting idly by while the world becomes worse and worse.  I see the church getting entangled with the things of this earth and putting its focus where it shouldn't be in the first place.  That is not sitting idly by, that is doing something it shouldn't.  Proverbs 24:19 tells us not to fret because of evil men, but how many "Christians" are fretting because Obama might want their guns?  How many "Christians" are fretting because sodomites want equality in marriage?  We read God's Word but don't want to obey but than we "fret" because the lost sodomites or Obama won't obey God's commands.  Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.  Our job is to spread the Gospel, not to try to change this country by all other ways other than spreading the Gospel. 

What ways are "Christians" trying to change this country other than by the Gospel?  I'll mention one.  How many "Christians" do you know that voted for Romney?  This is not my opinion, but my belief...it is NEVER, EVER, EVER a Christians duty to look for a solution to a problem by looking towards an evil man.  NEVER!!  God uses evil men for His glory!  It is not our job to use evil men, it is Gods!  If you don't think Romney is evil, what do you call a member of a false religion going through Europe to produce converts for that false religion when in the end these converts are going to burn in hell?  If that isn't evil, I don't know what is.  I find that more evil than any abortion doctor.  I find that more evil than any sodomite.  Why is this country getting worse?  The church is not idle it is entangled!

I am not looking for my peace in anything on this earth.  I don't see the church sitting idly by while the world becomes worse and worse.  I see the church getting entangled with the things of this earth and putting its focus where it shouldn't be in the first place.  That is not sitting idly by, that is doing something it shouldn't.  Proverbs 24:19 tells us not to fret because of evil men, but how many "Christians" are fretting because Obama might want their guns?  How many "Christians" are fretting because sodomites want equality in marriage?  We read God's Word but don't want to obey but than we "fret" because the lost sodomites or Obama won't obey God's commands.  Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.  Our job is to spread the Gospel, not to try to change this country by all other ways other than spreading the Gospel. 

What ways are "Christians" trying to change this country other than by the Gospel?  I'll mention one.  How many "Christians" do you know that voted for Romney?  This is not my opinion, but my belief...it is NEVER, EVER, EVER a Christians duty to look for a solution to a problem by looking towards an evil man.  NEVER!!  God uses evil men for His glory!  It is not our job to use evil men, it is Gods!  If you don't think Romney is evil, what do you call a member of a false religion going through Europe to produce converts for that false religion when in the end these converts are going to burn in hell?  If that isn't evil, I don't know what is.  I find that more evil than any abortion doctor.  I find that more evil than any sodomite.  Why is this country getting worse?  The church is not idle it is entangled!

Respectfully Rob, if the Church is reaching people in this country where is the evidence?  More moral corruptness now than ever?  More homosexuals?  More greed?  More people as evidenced in this very forum teaching liberal theology than ever.  Less people attending churches than ever in the past.  More liberal churches than ever.  The point I am attempting to make is the point you made.  People are trying to change this world in every way possible but by Scripture.

Respectfully Rob, if the Church is reaching people in this country where is the evidence?  More moral corruptness now than ever?  More homosexuals?  More greed?  More people as evidenced in this very forum teaching liberal theology than ever.  Less people attending churches than ever in the past.  More liberal churches than ever.  The point I am attempting to make is the point you made.  People are trying to change this world in every way possible but by Scripture.

I agree.  It is not Obama's fault our kids aren't in church.  It is not the gas prices fault, nor the government,nor the sodomites fault.  Christians are so entangled with the cares of this world that their own family members are possibly going to die and spend eternity in hell, and yet their focus is everywhere but their family or friends or co-workers. 

The last couple Wed. night prayer meetings at our church has proved this.  The men break away from the women to pray.  We go downstairs in the sunday school room and the women have the auditorium.  The conversation in our prayer group has focused on guns and some tax problem happening March 1st.  It gets to be about 7:25 and they look at their watches and decide it is time for a quick prayer so we can get out of there by 7:30.  15 minutes about politics and a quick prayer to wrap it up.  How sad is that?  They will be in for a surprise Wednesday, though.  Our study will be in Proverbs 24 and mostly on verses 19 and 20.