Musician4God1611

Questions On Music

Upon request from my Pastor, I have started a long in-depth study on Music, its history (both secular and religious), its culture, and its Biblical standing. I ask that this stay civil. I would like some opinions on what makes songs right or wrong for a Christian. I may not respond much because this is more for informational gathering.

Have you looked at Bro. David Cloud's website (www.wayoflife.org)? It has a lot of good information.  Praying for your research. :)

edited to add

Just wondering: Did either of you attend HBBC? My son said that you guys kind of look familiar.

Edited by KAT

Here's the reading list my preacher gave me:

Pop Goes The Music - VHS or DVD - Frank Garlock

Music in the Balance - Frank Garlock/Woetzel

The Battle for Christian Music - Tim Fisher (great source, call or write him)

Harmony at Home - Tim Fisher

Music Matters - Cary Schmidt

Oh, Be Careful Little Ears - Kimberly Smith

Let Those Who Have Ears To Hear - Kimberly Smith

Measuring The Music - John Makrijina

Why I Left The CCM Movement - Dan Lucarini

Can We Rock The Gospel - John Blanchard

A good hymn will be filled only with Bible truths, & the words will not be put to worldly music that feeds the flesh, & over a life time of attending church services singing good hymns a person will learn many Bible truths.

Ro 12:1 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

The child of God has been transformed, & is not conformed to this ever changing world, & he or she will do everything they can to avoid all appearances of evil, even giving up many things. For them the most important thing is to live for God, & they will want their life to be a living sacrifice for the Lord. That is they will die to self letting Christ live though them.

From your question, I'm not entirely sure whether you mean music for a worship service or for an individual to listen to, but I'll assume you're talking about a congregational setting unless you say otherwise.  As I mentioned in another thread in which we all went around and around on this, I think there are key questions to ask when considering music:

1 - Who does it honor/glorify? (God or man)

2 - Who does it edify? (the Church or the individual)

3 - Are the words distinctively Christian? (i.e., would never be mistaken for anything but Christianity)

4 - Are the words doctrinally sound?

5 - Would any associations with it cause your congregants to stumble or be offended?

Have you looked at Bro. David Cloud's website (www.wayoflife.org)? It has a lot of good information.  Praying for your research. :)

edited to add

Just wondering: Did either of you attend HBBC? My son said that you guys kind of look familiar.

I did not study at Heartland, but my wife did. She graduated last year with a bachelors in Christian Education.

Neat!

My son is not attending this year. He is a tall cowboy with a Jeep. He worked on campus and at a local lumber yard while attending school. His sister started last year and is still attending.

It is such a blessing that God allows His people to see that they are not in the battle alone. :)

Many churches have built a church around music, not a church around Christ. For instants a church right down the road from me. They have much singing, but only about 15 to 20 minutes of preaching services, & no Sunday school classes. I believe if it were not for the music, the rodeo arena, & short sermons, hardly anyone would be present.

The local paper has interviews several of its members, most of them say they could not & never fit in in any regular churches that had normal services.

And I can see why.

I had a friend that used to play for weddings, and sometimes in night clubs before he got saved.  He said they could start a brawl just from picking up the tempo gradually, and by the time it hit a crescendo, they could leave early and get paid for the whole night!  He liked the effect it had on people, and the control they had over them.

Rock music has a sensual beat.  It stirs up evil desires in us, along with drugs to heighten the effect.  It has no place in the church, or in the midst of God's people wherever they may be. 

Edited by irishman

One thing that people often miss is that not every sign that is of good words and appropriate style is able to be sung by a congregation.
Some simply do not work with a large group singing - it becomes clumsy and labouring.
Yet, the same song, sung as a solo or small group even, becomes a beautiful, God honouring song.

You might look up an Australian preacher called Graham West - he has a very good series on music on CD - might be on DVD as well.

I believe he pastors in a town called Tamworth, in New South Wales, Australia.

Upon request from my Pastor, I have started a long in-depth study on Music, its history (both secular and religious), its culture, and its Biblical standing. I ask that this stay civil. I would like some opinions on what makes songs right or wrong for a Christian. I may not respond much because this is more for informational gathering.

If a Christian strictly sticks with hymns and spiritual songs based on scripture, he'll do well. There's music for the spirit and there's music for the flesh, we know the difference instinctively and are commanded to put the flesh to death and not fulfil its lusts, so no fleshy music. A majority of music in this world is fleshly and Satanic, so have nothing to do with it. It's a challenge to find godly spiritual music, but it's out there.

If a Christian strictly sticks with hymns and spiritual songs based on scripture, he'll do well. There's music for the spirit and there's music for the flesh, we know the difference instinctively and are commanded to put the flesh to death and not fulfil its lusts, so no fleshy music. A majority of music in this world is fleshly and Satanic, so have nothing to do with it. It's a challenge to find godly spiritual music, but it's out there.

There are many hymns and spiritual songs based on Scripture that some reject based upon a variety of reasons.

There is also debate as to what is or isn't fleshly music. The way Amazing Grace is sang in one church might seem fleshly to another. There seems to be no "instinct" that tells all Christians what is or isn't acceptable music, fleshly or spiritual. For instance, the black Baptist church on the corner is likely more "lively" (some would say fleshly) than the white Baptist church on the other corner, even if they both use the same songs, both preach the Bible.

For these reasons, and probably many others, there is much division among Christians regarding music, and this is likely why the OP is interested in studying this matter out.

You are correct that most music is worldly, which is no surprise since most music is made by the world, for the world. The music we Christians argue over amounts to a very tiny percentage of all the music out there.

There are many hymns and spiritual songs based on Scripture that some reject based upon a variety of reasons.

What are a few examples of this music, and what are some of the reasons Christians reject them? Is it right or wrong that they reject them?

My comment about hymns and spiritual songs was based on the following verses that Christians should be applying:

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

What are a few examples of this music, and what are some of the reasons Christians reject them? Is it right or wrong that they reject them?

My comment about hymns and spiritual songs was based on the following verses that Christians should be applying:

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Yes, I knew the Scripture you were speaking of. It's how Christians view what is or isn't a worthy hymn or spiritual song that's in question. This is what the OP is asking for. How do we determine what is or isn't a worthy song for Christians, both inside the church and elsewhere. Also, from another post of his in this thread it seems he's also interested in what non-Christians songs may or may not be good for Christians to sing or listen to.

Yes, I knew the Scripture you were speaking of. It's how Christians view what is or isn't a worthy hymn or spiritual song that's in question. This is what the OP is asking for. How do we determine what is or isn't a worthy song for Christians, both inside the church and elsewhere. Also, from another post of his in this thread it seems he's also interested in what non-Christians songs may or may not be good for Christians to sing or listen to.

Yes I am Interested in both those, but also the mechanics of music and what makes it right or wrong. Futhermore I would like to address some inconsistencies in our thinking later on.

Just some thoughts that hit me about the word inconsistencies.

As long as we live in these corrupt bodies we will have inconsistencies, "sin," so that should not be surprising to the Christian that has done his Bible study to see inconsistencies among their brethren & or sister churches. And its sure to be easier to see & point out the inconsistencies of others that it is to see our very own inconsistencies & rightly be about doing something about it, working on riding our self of it.

1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
1Co 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

So when we look out over our brothers, sisters, & sister churches we will not see perfection, yet hopefully they will be striving for perfection as we are, they just might not be as close to it as we may think we may be & we should as best as we can to encourage them on, not discourage them, as that wonderful day grows nearer.

And for many of us perhaps the thing we should really be doing, working on in this computer age of easy communication is our very own inconsistencies, 'sins,' cleaning up around our very own door steps, the church where our membership lies, while encouraging our fellow church members onward & let the leaders of other churches handle the problems that they may facing, encountering, while our leaders works with us trying to do the job God has placed on them of leading us & our local church striving to walk closer with Jesus our Savior with each new day that dawns.

There are more than one reasons for inconsistencies. Some are definately a result of sin, yet others can be a result of the fact that we are wrong about our beliefs and something my not be wrong. Therefore a closer examination of these inconsistencies is imparitive to discern what is and isn't right.

Yes I am Interested in both those, but also the mechanics of music and what makes it right or wrong. Futhermore I would like to address some inconsistencies in our thinking later on.

A worthy and weighty task. If you are interested in addressing the entire aspect of music, as you seem to be, you must also consider the preference factor.

As we see just in this thread, and in the many threads on music, this topic may at first glance seem fairly simple but it's actually a very broad, complex subject, which is why Christians are all over the place when it comes to music.

I pray you may have success in this pursuit.

A worthy and weighty task. If you are interested in addressing the entire aspect of music, as you seem to be, you must also consider the preference factor.

As we see just in this thread, and in the many threads on music, this topic may at first glance seem fairly simple but it's actually a very broad, complex subject, which is why Christians are all over the place when it comes to music.

I pray you may have success in this pursuit.

Thank you for your prayers. I'm sure it will take me a year or two at least.