• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

1Timothy115

The Pope Steps Down

Yes, Benedict XVI has become the first Pope since Gregory XII in 1415 to resign.

A cynical/suspicious part of me can't help wondering whether he really "jumped" because of old age and ailing health, or whether he was "pushed" to make way for whoever they've got in mind to be the next Pope.

I tend to think that if the next Pope is relatively young as John Paul II was, and thus destined to be in charge for a while, he will probably play a big part in furthering ecumenism and establishing the one-world religion.

Yes, Benedict XVI has become the first Pope since Gregory XII in 1415 to resign.

A cynical/suspicious part of me can't help wondering whether he really "jumped" because of old age and ailing health, or whether he was "pushed" to make way for whoever they've got in mind to be the next Pope.

I tend to think that if the next Pope is relatively young as John Paul II was, and thus destined to be in charge for a while, he will probably play a big part in furthering ecumenism and establishing the one-world religion.

Yes, the biggest question I have is how they will move to embrace Islam and the Neo-Evangelicals.

Yes, the biggest question I have is how they will move to embrace Islam and the Neo-Evangelicals.

The RCC has long been willing to embrace anyone who bows to them in any form. The RCC would agree to embrace any one of our churches tomorrow if our pastors announced the RCC is good, the pope a great Christian leader, and their willingness to accept the RCC as she is.

For the RCC, they don't care if one practices voo-doo or calls themselves some non-catholic form of Christian so long as they are willing to do one or more of the following: acknowledge the RCC, call themselves Catholics, join hands with the RCC, support the RCC.

Perhaps he thought he may be bumped of like most of the popes since before the last war.  Some call it an assisted demise.

We know this much that the RCC isn't going away anytime soon. Jesus said in Matthew 16 that "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." There have been 265 popes and it looks like there will be a 266th.

Jesus certainly wasn't referring to the RCC when he sopke those words in Matthew 16, he was referring to the true Church, which is NOT the RCC!

Which church is the true Church that Jesus started? I've always wondered that myself.

I hope this is a sincere question?

The true Church is not defined in any denomination like RCC or Baptist, the true Church is made up of all those who have believed and trusted in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour, it's called the "body of Christ" in the Bible. If you have believed in the gospel of Jesus Christ and called upon the name of the Lord for salvation then you are a member of this true Church.

1 Corinthians 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. 28  And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Ephesians 1:20  Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, 21  Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: 22  And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, 23  Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

We know this much that the RCC isn't going away anytime soon. Jesus said in Matthew 16 that "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." There have been 265 popes and it looks like there will be a 266th.

Interesting screen name. I wonder why you chose it?

I'm fascinated with OT scripture. Melchizedek was a mysterious figure during the time of Abraham.

There's heaps more about him in the NT scripture, Hebrews 5-7. Who do you think he was?

Actually, the number is somewhat a matter of opinion.  I have a list of popes given in the 1940s which was updated at the time =of John Paul II.  It makes him no 266.   But since it was first written the Vatican has taken some popes off the list.  Two, Cletus and Anacletus as theynow  believe they were the same person.  Others because it is now believed that they did not actually exist. They also had two or more John XXIII.  And Pope Joan?

Jewish scholars say Melchizedek may have been Noah's son Shem. It barely fits the time line but theoretically possible. We know Melchizedek was the king of Salem when Abraham came to visit him and received a blessing. The RCC say Melchizedek foreshadowed Jesus by offering Abraham bread and wine as a sacrafice. Personally I just like the name, but it's hard to spell.

Actually, the number is somewhat a matter of opinion.  I have a list of popes given in the 1940s which was updated at the time =of John Paul II.  It makes him no 266.   But since it was first written the Vatican has taken some popes off the list.  Two, Cletus and Anacletus as theynow  believe they were the same person.  Others because it is now believed that they did not actually exist. They also had two or more John XXIII.  And Pope Joan?

I think Pope Joan was made up.

I think Pope Joan was made up.

Martin Luther, when he was still a catholic visited Rome and said there was a street where no pope would venture along, because there was a statue of this pope, and he could not understand why they did not destroy it.

Martin Luther, when he was still a catholic visited Rome and said there was a street where no pope would venture along, because there was a statue of this pope, and he could not understand why they did not destroy it.

That's fascinating. I'm a Christian history buff and read church history. From what I gather there were what you would call "anti-popes." They were people claiming to be the pope while the real pope was in office. I would bet Joan was an anti-pope. Sometimes years would go by and you would have several anti-popes along with the real pope. Imagine the confusion!

I hope this is a sincere question?

The true Church is not defined in any denomination like RCC or Baptist, the true Church is made up of all those who have believed and trusted in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour, it's called the "body of Christ" in the Bible. If you have believed in the gospel of Jesus Christ and called upon the name of the Lord for salvation then you are a member of this true Church.

1 Corinthians 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. 28  And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Ephesians 1:20  Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, 21  Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: 22  And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, 23  Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Of course it is a sincere question. Thank you for the information. After you accept Jesus as your Lord like Romans says, then do you have to be baptized to enter into the body of Christ like it says in John 3:5? This is where I get confused.

Ah I get it, the church is the body of Christ. In Matthew 18:17 it says, "And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican." Since the church is the body of Christ (anyone who believes and confesses Jesus is Lord) who would you tell it to within the body of Christ (church)?

Sorry, but Jesus was not speaking of the RCC, the RCC is a man made institution, & its not of God. All one has to do is compare the RCC to what's found in the pages of the Bible, & its unlike anything found in the pages of the Bible. And it teaches commandment of men, for commandments of God.

If your willing you can study the Bible & know this truth, or you can keep following man. Your choice.

Sorry, but Jesus was not speaking of the RCC, the RCC is a man made institution, & its not of God. All one has to do is compare the RCC to what's found in the pages of the Bible, & its unlike anything found in the pages of the Bible. And it teaches commandment of men, for commandments of God.

If your willing you can study the Bible & know this truth, or you can keep following man. Your choice.

I sincerely want to follow Jesus and I love reading the Bible. I'm here to search for the truth. When I read the Bible how to I know how to interpret it? I pray the Holy Ghost will guide me but men (even men of God) interpret it so vastly different.

I sincerely want to follow Jesus and I love reading the Bible. I'm here to search for the truth. When I read the Bible how to I know how to interpret it? I pray the Holy Ghost will guide me but men (even men of God) interpret it so vastly different.

Within the pages of the New Testament Jesus' New Testament Church is clearly described. It does take effort on our part to learn exactly what a New Testament Church is like.

This is something each person needs to decide for their self. If I laid it out many would disagree. This is something I studied out for myself, not taking anyone's word, & coming to my own conclusion. 

When we are saved God puts a thirst, desire, within us for His Word, to know His truths, to follow His truths. Its up to each of us to go to the Bible, study it, & learn of Him. So that we can divide the Word of the truth & truly take up our cross, deny self & follow Jesus.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Learn the Bible, study it, & compare the church you attend to what the Bible teaches. And if it matches up to what the Bible teaches, your in a good church, if not, its time to search for good one.

Remember this, your responsible for your self. When your judged, you will be judged for what you have done. Therefore take what any man proclaims, compare it to the Bible, & only believe them if what they preach, teach matches what is in the pages of the Bible.

Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: