• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

scoutmaster022

What Do You Think Of This Program And His Teaching

I listen to this often on the Internet since there are not many Christian question and answer call in programs out there. Some is good. Some is not so good, as he says it is okay to lie in certain situations, speaks well of Billy Graham and Rick Warren sometimes, and says some Catholics are Christians.

Mohan

I listen to this often on the Internet since there are not many Christian question and answer call in programs out there. Some is good. Some is not so good, as he says it is okay to lie in certain situations, speaks well of Billy Graham and Rick Warren sometimes, and says some Catholics are Christians.

Mohan

Mohan

If this statement is accurate, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, we should separate from this.  The Scriptures say in Galatians, "A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump."

I listen to this often on the Internet since there are not many Christian question and answer call in programs out there. Some is good. Some is not so good, as he says it is okay to lie in certain situations, speaks well of Billy Graham and Rick Warren sometimes, and says some Catholics are Christia

I use the internet as well. We do not have a close Christian radio station where I live.

Mohan

The program isn't aired in this area but I've heard of these complaints and others. I've heard many folks warn not to listen to the program. Some have said Hank has become more and more watered down, ecumenical and outright wrong in things in recent years.

Mohan

Interestingly, in at least one instance the Bible agrees with this: the midiwves in Egypt who  lied to Pharaoh and told him that the mothers had already given birth before they arrived to help, thus sparing the lives of the children/ Some would condemn this as 'situational ethics' and say, "a lie is a lie is a lie and its always wrong". I disagree with that, as the Lord blessed those midwives and gave them houses. Was it wrong for Germans during WWII to  lie to the Nazis if they were hiding Jews in their homes? Was it wrong for Rahab the harlot to lie to the men of Jericho about the Hebrew spies in her house? 

Just throwing it out there, not recommending we start looking for 'good reasons' to lie. Just sayin'.

Interestingly, in at least one instance the Bible agrees with this: the midiwves in Egypt who  lied to Pharaoh and told him that the mothers had already given birth before they arrived to help, thus sparing the lives of the children/ Some would condemn this as 'situational ethics' and say, "a lie is a lie is a lie and its always wrong". I disagree with that, as the Lord blessed those midwives and gave them houses. Was it wrong for Germans during WWII to  lie to the Nazis if they were hiding Jews in their homes? Was it wrong for Rahab the harlot to lie to the men of Jericho about the Hebrew spies in her house? 

Just throwing it out there, not recommending we start looking for 'good reasons' to lie. Just sayin'.

Actually, Scripture doesn't say the midwives lied but Scripture does say the midwives feared God more than Pharoah and for that they were commended.

I've heard some good sermons on the very real possibility that what the midwives said was true due to divine intervention of the Lord.

Scripture clearly says to lie is a sin and also clearly says that all lies are of the devil for he is the father of lies.

Actually, Scripture doesn't say the midwives lied but Scripture does say the midwives feared God more than Pharoah and for that they were commended.

I've heard some good sermons on the very real possibility that what the midwives said was true due to divine intervention of the Lord.

Scripture clearly says to lie is a sin and also clearly says that all lies are of the devil for he is the father of lies.

"But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the men children alive." If the midwives specifically did opposite of what the king commanded them, it tells me there was deliberate subterfuge involved-nowhere does it indicate that God caused the babies to be born before they arrived-they clearly broke the king's command-meaning they lied.

Rahab lied about the Hebrew spies. God blessed her by allowing her and her family and friends to live, and it is speculated that she is the Rahab in the lineage of Jesus, though that is just speculation. The point is, would it have been better for her to have not lied, and told the men of Jericho that they were in her house, and turned them over to them? Sure, the Lord could have saved them even then, but Rahab would have surely perished, since it was her hiding them and lying about their presence that brought her to be saved.

Again, I am not endorsing lying, I am just saying that telling an untruth is not always the same as bearing false witness against your neighbor, which is what the commandments disallow.

Its always strange to me when people say they believe the Bible but does not believe honesty is not always the best policy.

There were many people that died because they were honest & would not forsake Christ, would not disown Him to save their lives. I suppose today would say its OK to disown Christ in order to save ones life.

Heb 11:35 Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:
Heb 11:36 And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:
Heb 11:37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;
Heb 11:38 (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.
Heb 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
Heb 11:40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

I used to listen to The Bible Answer Man a long time ago when it was hosted (actually who the show is named after) by the late Walter Martin. It was at a time when I was studying the cults, and Walter Martin had a lot of good material on it (Kingdom of the Cults was one of the books he wrote). I disagree with a lot of Martin's theology but he did have well written articles about world religions and pseudo-Christians cults.

Hank had one good book that I read called Christianity in Crisis that did a decent job at exposing the Charismatic movement, but Hank is a die-hard preterist, the entire organization is anti-KJV, and overall have a lot of bad theology. You can find some good material there as far as general apologetics go, but as with anything you read, always know your Bible well enough that you can see the fallacy of erroneous teachings when they surface.

The Bible Answer Man and it's ministry, CRI (Christian Research Inst) are what I would label "Proceed With Caution".

Lying is never condoned in the Bible. Proverbs say that lying lips are an abomination to God. Just because someone did it does not mean it was right. If we say lying is okay in certain situations, it can come to the point that we do not know where to draw the line.

Mohan

As the old saying goes, its never right to do wrong to bring about right.

And as Mohan stated, when we do that we will never know where to draw the line. We will just keep moving it to suit our selfish needs.

As the old saying goes, its never right to do wrong to bring about right.

And as Mohan stated, when we do that we will never know where to draw the line. We will just keep moving it to suit our selfish needs.

Exactly my point: what Rahab did, and what the midwives did, was not to suit their own selfish needs, but to honor the Lord. And both were blessed for it, the midiwves, at least, specifically blessed and rewarded by the Lord.

Exactly my point: what Rahab did, and what the midwives did, was not to suit their own selfish needs, but to honor the Lord. And both were blessed for it, the midiwves, at least, specifically blessed and rewarded by the Lord.

No, they were not blessed for lying. If they were blessed for lying that would make God's clear Word regarding lying to be a lie and God cannot lie.

Study deeper and you will discover the actual reason they were blessed.

Lying is an abomination to the Lord, just as homosexuality is.

Its always strange to me when people say they believe the Bible but does not believe honesty is not always the best policy.

There were many people that died because they were honest & would not forsake Christ, would not disown Him to save their lives. I suppose today would say its OK to disown Christ in order to save ones life.

Heb 11:35 Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:
Heb 11:36 And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:
Heb 11:37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;
Heb 11:38 (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.
Heb 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
Heb 11:40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Matthew 10:32

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

It is never ok to deny Christ or deny we are Christians.  But I would not quote those Hebrew verses to to say the Germans lying to the Nazi's to save Jews was Biblically wrong. 

I wouldn't start looking for reasons to "lie" either, but, from reading God's Word, I am sometimes led to believe that our American or Engilsh definition of a word doesn't always exactly match God's definition. 

No, they were not blessed for lying. If they were blessed for lying that would make God's clear Word regarding lying to be a lie and God cannot lie.

Study deeper and you will discover the actual reason they were blessed.

Lying is an abomination to the Lord, just as homosexuality is.

I'm not saying they were blessed for lying-I am saying that lying was part of what they did to honor God and save His people, and they were blessed. So, they were blessed for what they did, and lying was a part of it.

Nowhere do I even imply such a thing-I am speaking of unsaved people lying to protect God's people-those who are judged at the sheep/goat judgment are unsaved people, and God honors those who unwittingly honor Him by protecting and caring for those that are His in time of tribulation, at great personal risk.

I'm not saying they were blessed for lying-I am saying that lying was part of what they did to honor God and save His people, and they were blessed. So, they were blessed for what they did, and lying was a part of it.

Nowhere do I even imply such a thing-I am speaking of unsaved people lying to protect God's people-those who are judged at the sheep/goat judgment are unsaved people, and God honors those who unwittingly honor Him by protecting and caring for those that are His in time of tribulation, at great personal risk.

Yes, that is what is being implied, since when we tell an untruth, it is being dishonest, no matter what the circumstances are.

Mohan

Ps 31:18 Let the lying lips be put to silence; which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous.

Ps 59:12 For the sin of their mouth and the words of their lips let them even be taken in their pride: and for cursing and lying which they speak.

Ps 120:2 Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue.

Pr 10:18 He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.

Pr 12:22 Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.

Pr 17:7 Excellent speech becometh not a fool: much less do lying lips a prince.

No, its very clear, God does not like lying lips, its an abomination to Him, so why defend an encourage this sin?

I started to follow this radio program  today and was wondering what the folks hear thought of it?

About Bible Answer Man

Let Christian Research Institute President Hank Hanegraaff

I had never heard of him before. 

Ps 31:18 Let the lying lips be put to silence; which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous.

Ps 59:12 For the sin of their mouth and the words of their lips let them even be taken in their pride: and for cursing and lying which they speak.

Ps 120:2 Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue.

Pr 10:18 He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.

Pr 12:22 Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.

Pr 17:7 Excellent speech becometh not a fool: much less do lying lips a prince.

No, its very clear, God does not like lying lips, its an abomination to Him, so why defend an encourage this sin?

Amen!

Lying never honours God, just as no other sin ever honours God.

I started to follow this radio program  today and was wondering what the folks hear thought of it?

About Bible Answer Man

Let Christian Research Institute President Hank Hanegraaff

Hank is a calvinist, preterist, and says that the Roman Catholic Church is within the "pail of orthodoxy."  He does not give any historical credence to the true history of the Baptists.  He is decidedly ANTI-KJV, and has James White - the calvinist Bible corrector - as a regular guest on his show. 

I have heard his program before in years past, and all I could do was gnash my teeth against his "answers."  Most of his "Bible answers" were so filled with error I couldn't stand it...I had to quit listening to it.

I have no use for the man or his program or his theology.

As to the lying bit.

I recall hearing about Richard Wurmbrand, author of Tortured for Christ, who also had this dilema.  The communists in Romania would routinely torture them to obtain information about other saints.  If you want to know about the unspeakable acts they did during the cold war years, get his book and read it.  It will make you think a little bit about just how depraved human beings can be.  The commies had/have all manner of methods to "break" a person. 

But the dilemna they faced was if they told the truth they would most certainly send their brothers and sisters in Christ to their deaths.  To remain silent was literally impossible.  So what "choice" did they have?  At some point the human psyche breaks down and self-preservation kicks in.  It takes an extreme amount of physical, emotional, and mental discipline and strength to remain silent and not give in to their torture. 

Before anybody gets all spiritual and says they should just not say anything rather than lie, I challenge you to read the accounts of the martyrs for Christ, and ask yourself if you could handle it or not.  My guess is that most of the talkers out there have a big fat loud mouth, but no guts to follow through, especially since they are so ignorant of how awful man's torture can really be.

My hope is that I would not give in, but I know that these demon-possessed people will stop at NOTHING to get their victims to respond.  I know where my weak spots are.  If I know, then assuredly my enemy knows also...and would prompt his pawns to use that weapon against me.  Only the grace of God could get me through it, because in my flesh, I will not be able to handle it. 

Does this make the lie "right?"  No.  But at the same time, I can't just pounce on those tortured saints and condemn them for protecting other saints.   I know the temptation would be the same for me as it was for them.   What would you do?  What would you do if it was you instead of Rahab? 

In general terms of everyday life, there is no equivocation. 

I am not defending or justifying lying.  I am simply saying that there are times when lying is actually a safeguard to other people - the Germans lying to the Nazis, etc.  We have a Scriptural obligation to protect and defend the defenseless.  Duties never conflict.

As to the lying bit.

I recall hearing about Richard Wurmbrand, author of Tortured for Christ, who also had this dilema.  The communists in Romania would routinely torture them to obtain information about other saints.  If you want to know about the unspeakable acts they did during the cold war years, get his book and read it.  It will make you think a little bit about just how depraved human beings can be.  The commies had/have all manner of methods to "break" a person. 

But the dilemna they faced was if they told the truth they would most certainly send their brothers and sisters in Christ to their deaths.  To remain silent was literally impossible.  So what "choice" did they have?  At some point the human psyche breaks down and self-preservation kicks in.  It takes an extreme amount of physical, emotional, and mental discipline and strength to remain silent and not give in to their torture. 

Before anybody gets all spiritual and says they should just not say anything rather than lie, I challenge you to read the accounts of the martyrs for Christ, and ask yourself if you could handle it or not.  My guess is that most of the talkers out there have a big fat loud mouth, but no guts to follow through, especially since they are so ignorant of how awful man's torture can really be.

My hope is that I would not give in, but I know that these demon-possessed people will stop at NOTHING to get their victims to respond.  I know where my weak spots are.  If I know, then assuredly my enemy knows also...and would prompt his pawns to use that weapon against me.  Only the grace of God could get me through it, because in my flesh, I will not be able to handle it. 

Does this make the lie "right?"  No.  But at the same time, I can't just pounce on those tortured saints and condemn them for protecting other saints.   I know the temptation would be the same for me as it was for them.   What would you do?  What would you do if it was you instead of Rahab? 

I am not defending or justifying lying.  I am simply saying that there are times when lying is actually a safeguard to other people - the Germans lying to the Nazis, etc.  We have a Scriptural obligation to protect and defend the defenseless.  Duties never conflict.

God never asks anyone to sin in order to attempt to do some good or help someone.

I agree that anyone can sin and no doubt some Christians have sinned by lying in order to try and save their own flesh or that of anothers. Such is still sin and would be sin even if it were you or I doing that today.

As to Wurmbrand, I've read his books and the man had no testimony of salvation. This man also condoned false ideas of salvation, even declaring on one occasion that an admitted ungodly man was saved before he died simply because they man yelled "God".

Wurmbrand was concerned with matters of this world and used his "christianity" as a means to work in that arena.

When we look at the early Christians who were tortured, had their families tortured, saw their brothers/sisters in Christ tortured and put to death, we see a myriad of cases where they refused to lie, refused to use worldly means to help themselves of "help God" to help their families or friends.

There are also many cases during WWII where Christians refused to engage in the sin of lying, instead trusting fully in the Lord for protection and preferring His will over their own, and the Lord provided. These Christians came out of the war with a clean testimony while those who engaged in lies, stealing, even murder, came out of the war with a testimony to their worldly endeavors.

God doesn't promise that following Him will be easy, but He calls us to follow and obey Him in all circumstances.

Scripture also makes it clear that if we truly follow Christ we will suffer persecution. We are also told this is something to rejoice about, not something to employ worldly means in an attempt to escape.

1 Peter 2:21-23

King James Version (KJV)

21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:

As to the lying bit.

It simply boils down to what the Bible says, not how we feel, or what others have done. Many so called "Christians" who claim to believe the Bible pay lip service to it, as it is not their authority in their lives. As for me, I will follow the Bible, and not listen to experience.

Mohan