• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Childlike Faith!

Mother: Son, I don’t want you to cry when I drop you off at Gramma’s tomorrow.

Son: But I don’t want you to go to work!

Mother: But I have to go to work, so I can buy you things.

Son: I don’t want things anymore Mommy! I JUST WANT YOU!

Matthew 18:3 Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children,
ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

To have faith as a little child runs much deeper than simplistic thinking and simplistic beliefs.
Simplistic thinking and simplistic beliefs just barely scratch the surface of what
childlike faith really is; they are actually just the fruit of childlike faith!
Childlike faith not only takes God at His Word, and not only trusts and acts
upon that trust as a child would his father’s word. Childlike faith not only
wants those simplistic things which the father has set aside for the child, but
the heart and the mind of childlike faith is…

… LORD! I don’t want things anymore! I just want YOU!

(The ancedote is taken from a true conversation between my cousin and her son)

Edited by willy1968

But the average Christian wants much more than what God promises to supply them by faith & cannot be content as Paul was. And many of them looks down on the pastor or church member who has little material possessions calling them total failures, especially if they fail to furnish his wife & children all the latest things that all other Americas have. You know the Christian must keep up with the secular people, worldly people, the unbelievers, & not be left behind.

1Ti 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

Php 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

Like I've stated, & a few others have stated too, its quite heard to tell the Christians from the secular people, worldly people, the unbelievers, they all look the same & seem to be after the same things in this world.

And also the "average" Christian looks upon others who seem to be more prosperous than they are [or wish they were] and naturally assume that since that person has "stuff" that they must be robbing God to get it [or at least withholding too much for their own use] instead of giving that person the benefit of the doubt [and a silent display of grace] by assuming that since God keeps the score, maybe, just maybe, God seems to be blessing that person because that they may actually have been being perfectly obedient to that which God is requiring of them.

Funny how we're always so eager to jump on the negitivity bus...

I think you're both right.  We oughtn't to assume a preacher is a failure if he and his family don't live in the lap of luxury.  Nor should we jump to the conclusion that a Christian is sinning because they do have material goods.  

Romans 14:14,22
I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
My hat is off to any Christian who serves the Lord and eschews material goods.  But it is also off to the Christian who serves the Lord who does have material goods.  As long as their faith is genuine, and their love for the Lord is true, happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth...

you have to admit that the Lord promises to bless the faithful.  I don't think it means $, per se, but in every way.  Thereare several examples like 2 Chron. 26:5 for example, which is pretty basic though.

And also the "average" Christian looks upon others who seem to be more prosperous than they are [or wish they were] and naturally assume that since that person has "stuff" that they must be robbing God to get it [or at least withholding too much for their own use] instead of giving that person the benefit of the doubt [and a silent display of grace] by assuming that since God keeps the score, maybe, just maybe, God seems to be blessing that person because that they may actually have been being perfectly obedient to that which God is requiring of them.

Funny how we're always so eager to jump on the negitivity bus...

I can only say the Lord has blessed me above what I deserve. If the Lord gives one Christian more than another, sometimes its because God can trust the one given in abundance to give back in abundance.

All of Christ's teachings about this subject clearly indicate losing your life in this world to find it. Gain is Godliness is false teaching.

If you have more money than you need in this world, it is by chance only and nothing to do with blessings for your service or faithfulness. Your blessing will come if you give all the money you don't need to the poor IN YOUR CHURCH first and to the ministry of the soulwinning NT Church you are member of. Keeping back part of your money to fulfill your worldly selfish lusts is NOT in the NT anywhere. Don't believe me? Ask Ananias and his wife next time you see them.

Buying yourself things you don't need for fun or hobby or vanity is not God's plan for your life. Anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves (and the Holy Spirt - see the Ananias reference above).

PS: and quit quoting OT Scripture to justify pet sins today.

2PS: If your Pastor and his family have needs and you have a bass boat or a tricked-out sniper rifle - SHAME ON YOU!

Some of you have some pretty long noses you’re looking down… You really have a knack to ruin what might have just been a small thought that maybe could have been a small blessing for someone into some kind of a stupid [and futile] argument. Why? Just so you could show me [or someone] how much you know? Or was it so we could all see how much you watch others instead of yourself? My first question is: Who do you think you are trying to make me or anyone feel or think that you know more about what God’s will is for them [or anyone other than yourself for that matter] and how and what He is speaking to them in the matter of giving or service [or frankly any other action be it sin or not sin]? That really is between them and God; not you, them and God. Second: Even if they are not being obedient to God [in any area of their life]… who are you to cast stones? It’s between them and God… if it’s ‘that bad’ and you don’t agree… either approach them and openly and humbly speak with them about it… or just plain stay away from them… and really if you have as much faith as you would have people believe, you should be able to walk away [without looking down your long nose and opening your mouth] and know without a doubt that God will take care of business with them. After all if you take him at his word, He says, “I will recompense” doesn’t He? And frankly why does he even have to bother applying any of His own proper correction process when everyone else has already condemned them? [and frankly how can God even get the person’s full attention when they are so busy dealing with the goon squad?] Third: Maybe you have heard of a man of the late 1800’s and early 1900’s by the name of Vilfredo Pereto; Pareto; among other things he was an Italian engineer. He made several important contributions to economics, particularly in the study of income distribution and in the analysis of individuals' choices. The Pareto principle was named after him and was built on observations that he made in his studies of economics. He introduced the concept of Pareto efficiency. He also was the first to discover that income follows a Pareto distribution, which is a “Power Law Probability” distribution. Based on his studies and observations he discovered that 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of the population. Pareto observed this distribution in countless situations. This principle is named after him – “The Pareto Principle.” This idea is sometimes expressed more simply as the Pareto principle or the "80-20 rule" which says that 20% of the population controls 80% of the wealth. The Pareto Principle is true in countless situations; and is one of the basis for Statistical Process Control [a key part of Quality Control and Assurance]. All that to say this: This principle applies to pretty well everything that can be counted… That includes your church’s offering… 80% of the dollars that land in that plate will come from 20% of the people attending… that means you are either part of the 20% or a part of the 80%... that makes it 4 times as likely that you are NOT in that top 20% as I am sure you wouldn’t mind me thinking you are. But if I were able call you on it [frankly I could really care less if you are or not because that is between you and God] you would likely fall back to the reasoning of “I am doing exactly as God is showing me to do.” Which as I stated above, is probably the same grace that you would be better off applying to others. Now please… quit your nitpicking… If you liked the little story, say “Amen,” and if you didn’t… do what Mama taught us and if we ain’t got anything nice to say, say nothing… sheesh…

All of Christ's teachings about this subject clearly indicate losing your life in this world to find it. Gain is Godliness is false teaching.

If you have more money than you need in this world, it is by chance only and nothing to do with blessings for your service or faithfulness. Your blessing will come if you give all the money you don't need to the poor IN YOUR CHURCH first and to the ministry of the soulwinning NT Church you are member of. Keeping back part of your money to fulfill your worldly selfish lusts is NOT in the NT anywhere. Don't believe me? Ask Ananias and his wife next time you see them.

Buying yourself things you don't need for fun or hobby or vanity is not God's plan for your life. Anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves (and the Holy Spirt - see the Ananias reference above).

PS: and quit quoting OT Scripture to justify pet sins today.

2PS: If your Pastor and his family have needs and you have a bass boat or a tricked-out sniper rifle - SHAME ON YOU!

Now, if you actually read the account of Ananias, you'll find it had nothing to do with him keeping part of the money back, ("Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power?")  but rather, having kept back part, he lied and said it was ALL he got for the sale of his property, ("why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.") They lied about the amount. Peter tells them that it was theirs, to do with as they wanted, but somwhere, they lied-the only lie had to have been along the lines of "We sold our house for 2,000 drachmas, and we want to give it ALL to you!", when they had actually sold it for 3,000 drachmas, and only told Peter that, so they could look truly sacrificing.

Nowhere in the Bible, new OR old testament, are we commanded to give everything over our 'needs' to the Lord and His work. Yes, it all belongs to Him, and as such we should be careful that we don't dishonor Him in what we use it on, but there is nothing wrong with having something over, or using it for yourself or family.  Now, if your church is going under, while you give little and go on a vacation every 3 months to amusement parks all over the country, then shame on you-give to the work! But that's different than never being allowed to keep anything or use it on something not a 'need'.  Even the rich man whose ground brought forth abundantly was not sinning for storing his stuff and resting, but because he was not spiritually prepared and only concerned about the carnal.

And I haven't seen anyone here say gain is godliness: the Bible is clearly against that idea-rather, godliness is great gain, but nowhere are we told to be poor and needy, though certainly the ministry may call for it by some. I can point to many godly men who have been well-off, (Charles H. Spurgeon), and others who have been on the brink of starvation, trusting God for the very bread for the table at each meal, (George Mueller). Yet both exhibited great faith and abundant fruit for the Lord.

I believe many of us will be quite surprised the difference in what we call being faithful is, & what Christ calls faithful.

Just how many of us have truly died to self letting Christ live though us?

Ga 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

I think you're both right.  We oughtn't to assume a preacher is a failure if he and his family don't live in the lap of luxury.  Nor should we jump to the conclusion that a Christian is sinning because they do have material goods.  

My hat is off to any Christian who serves the Lord and eschews material goods.  But it is also off to the Christian who serves the Lord who does have material goods.  As long as their faith is genuine, and their love for the Lord is true, happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth...

If you & willy are pointing your thoughts to me, CAREFUL notice of what I stated. I will help my posting my statement below & highlighting certain phrases.

Perhaps some are, as for me I can't judge that, but if God leads a preacher to preach that, them he should, & those hearing ought to judge them self.

And notice I did not point out anyone. If you were not pointing those thoughts to me, please pay me no never mind.

The Lord has blessed many members of my local church after they became faithful in their tithing.  Some do have airplanes, own large businesses and live comfortably now.  At the same time, these are most generous givers, using their aircraft and wealth for missions support to Haiti for example, paying for expensive medications for sick and uninsured members etc.  A bass boat or fancy rifle can be a tool and asset to the local church too.  It depends on how one thinks about it.

If you & willy are pointing your thoughts to me, CAREFUL notice of what I stated. I will help my posting my statement below & highlighting certain phrases.

Perhaps some are, as for me I can't judge that, but if God leads a preacher to preach that, them he should, & those hearing ought to judge them self.

And notice I did not point out anyone. If you were not pointing those thoughts to me, please pay me no never mind.

Wow.  You really take offense easily sometimes, don't you?  Did you not read where I said I agree with BOTH of you. Sheesh.  Methinks you need to take careful note and stop jumping to conclusions that someone's busting your chops when they aren't.  

Sorry gents, I have no interest in ruffling your feathers. I didn't come up with this - God did. Put in a Scripture change request if you don't like it.

Also sorry about your tithing false teachings. It is a smart way to get at least something out of folks you otherwise wouldn't and make them feel obedient at the same time I guess - but surprise, it ain't in the NT and only referenced to human government in the OT.

Jesus said to LOSE YOUR LIFE IN THIS WORLD is to find it.

No skin off my nose brothers, its between you and Jesus but I know in my heart, its gonna be a painful rude awakening for most Christians at the JSC.

Keep your money to consume upon your own worldly lusts, your hobbys, fancy stuff - after all you deserve it right, you didn't receive it as God says, you earned it SO GLORY IN IT.

Every once in while though, throw an extra 1% at this Christian hobby of yours too. Make it an even 11% :clapping:

One thing that happens when one gets close to God, & they're truly saved, & their rightly giving cheerfully to God, even making sacrifices in order to give to further the work of God. They will seem to have more money than ever before. Because of the change in the desired of their heart. At that time their daily spending habits will slowly change, because God has changed the desires of their heart. Them they will look back & see their foolish spending habits of the past, understanding they really do not need that kid of stuff. And in the end they will even have more money to give towards supporting the works of the Lord, along with what is necessary to support their needs.

And at that time they will truly understand the mercy, love, & more importantly GRACE both God & their Savior Christ has shown them & not think about tithing, for they will be cheerfully giving much more than any 10% to support the works of their God & they will never look upon material possession as they once did. And they will enjoy many spiritual blessing in heavenly places.

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Wow.  You really take offense easily sometimes, don't you?  Did you not read where I said I agree with BOTH of you. Sheesh.  Methinks you need to take careful note and stop jumping to conclusions that someone's busting your chops when they aren't.  

Please take notice of the 1st word in the first sentence, its 'IF!" I did not say you did.

And no, I am not offended, bent out of shape in any form, or nor am I mad, nor do I feel I need to get vengeance, nor nothing like that. I was just kindly asking, "IF!"

So it seems you jumped to conclusions , not me.

Now, "IF," I stated that in a way that was hard to understand, that comes off different than what I meant it to, in a way that I seemed offended, mad, bent out of shape, as if I was after vengeance, for that I do apologize to both you & willy before everyone.

Many times in such post perhaps I should use more words, but I'm really not a wordy person, especially on a message board or in an email & have been told that I do not waste words. I suppose that's just the way God made me. I use the word if, seems, & other such words many times trying to get across to others that I am not point my finger at them, & I'm not accusing them of anything. Yet it seem many thinks when those words are used, its finger pointing & accusations.

I'm reminded of what I was just reading in an article in a Readers Digest dealing with people who get bent out of shape, man, offended, because of what they read into emails, post on message boards. While reading it I was thinking, yes, I've been guilty of that many times & I must stop doing that, after all, these people are my friends. And if I feel that way towards my friends how would react towards those who are not my friends.

Please take notice of the 1st word in the first sentence, its 'IF!" I did not say you did.

And no, I am not offended, bent out of shape in any form, or nor am I mad, nor do I feel I need to get vengeance, nor nothing like that. I was just kindly asking, "IF!"

So it seems you jumped to conclusions , not me.

Now, "IF," I stated that in a way that was hard to understand, that comes off different than what I meant it to, in a way that I seemed offended, mad, bent out of shape, as if I was after vengeance, for that I do apologize to both you & willy before everyone.

Many times in such post perhaps I should use more words, but I'm really not a wordy person, especially on a message board or in an email & have been told that I do not waste words. I suppose that's just the way God made me. I use the word if, seems, & other such words many times trying to get across to others that I am not point my finger at them, & I'm not accusing them of anything. Yet it seem many thinks when those words are used, its finger pointing & accusations.

I'm reminded of what I was just reading in an article in a Readers Digest dealing with people who get bent out of shape, man, offended, because of what they read into emails, post on message boards. While reading it I was thinking, yes, I've been guilty of that many times & I must stop doing that, after all, these people are my friends. And if I feel that way towards my friends how would react towards those who are not my friends.

Please take your own advice and read posts carefully before you question "IF" someone's speaking to you. When someone says they agree with you, don't assume they are "pointing thoughts" at you that are not right.  I wasn't offended, so no apology is necessary.  Just read posts more carefully. It seems to happen too often that you lash out (even nicely) at people who post things and you (yes, you do) assume they are pointing at you or trashing you.

~~~~

As for this other nonsense that is being spouted (and I'm not pointing at anyone in particular, but at anyone saying it) that someone who has money and doesn't give everything that's left over to the God: that is totally unscriptural.  Take any verses you want to fit it to your pet theology, but it doesn't hold up.  God blesses people with material possessions at times, whether those who eschew them want to admit it or not.  Abraham was mightily blessed of God with possessions, as was Jacob and so many others.

God owns the cattle on a thousand hills and the gold in every mine...that's Bible...and He gives it to whom He will - in whatever amount HE chooses. If they misuse it, God can and will take it away.  So go ahead and assume that people who have more money than you aren't tithing or giving cheerfully. You would be correct at times, but not always.  

Some of you have some pretty long noses you’re looking down…

You really have a knack to ruin what might have just been a small thought that maybe could have been a small blessing for someone into some kind of a stupid [and futile] argument. Why? Just so you could show me [or someone] how much you know? Or was it so we could all see how much you watch others instead of yourself?

My first question is:
Who do you think you are trying to make me or anyone feel or think that you know more about what God’s will is for them [or anyone other than yourself for that matter] and how and what He is speaking to them in the matter of giving or service [or frankly any other action be it sin or not sin]? That really is between them and God; not you, them and God.

Second:
Even if they are not being obedient to God [in any area of their life]… who are you to cast stones? It’s between them and God… if it’s ‘that bad’ and you don’t agree… either approach them and openly and humbly speak with them about it… or just plain stay away from them… and really if you have as much faith as you would have people believe, you should be able to walk away [without looking down your long nose and opening your mouth] and know without a doubt that God will take care of business with them. After all if you take him at his word, He says, “I will recompense” doesn’t He?
And frankly why does he even have to bother applying any of His own proper correction process when everyone else has already condemned them? [and frankly how can God even get the person’s full attention when they are so busy dealing with the goon squad?]

Third:
Maybe you have heard of a man of the late 1800’s and early 1900’s by the name of Vilfredo Pereto; Pareto; among other things he was an Italian engineer. He made several important contributions to economics, particularly in the study of income distribution and in the analysis of individuals' choices.
The Pareto principle was named after him and was built on observations that he made in his studies of economics. He introduced the concept of Pareto efficiency. He also was the first to discover that income follows a Pareto distribution, which is a “Power Law Probability” distribution. Based on his studies and observations he discovered that 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of the population. Pareto observed this distribution in countless situations. This principle is named after him – “The Pareto Principle.” This idea is sometimes expressed more simply as the Pareto principle or the "80-20 rule" which says that 20% of the population controls 80% of the wealth. The Pareto Principle is true in countless situations; and is one of the basis for Statistical Process Control [a key part of Quality Control and Assurance].

All that to say this: This principle applies to pretty well everything that can be counted… That includes your church’s offering… 80% of the dollars that land in that plate will come from 20% of the people attending… that means you are either part of the 20% or a part of the 80%... that makes it 4 times as likely that you are NOT in that top 20% as I am sure you wouldn’t mind me thinking you are. But if I were able call you on it [frankly I could really care less if you are or not because that is between you and God] you would likely fall back to the reasoning of “I am doing exactly as God is showing me to do.”

Which as I stated above, is probably the same grace that you would be better off applying to others.

Now please… quit your nitpicking… If you liked the little story, say “Amen,” and if you didn’t… do what Mama taught us and if we ain’t got anything nice to say, say nothing… sheesh…

Amen! Nice story. Are you alright now?

:boxing: Wow sister, the moderator needs some moderation. The worldly emotional outbursts are to be expected though.

Hey if you thought that truth above stung, get a load of this:

I have to say brothers that I was intrigued to find this forum initially until I noticed the predominant and most vocal moderator was a woman.

Not to be unkind in any stretch, just the truth needs to be told. This woman is the worst kind of feminist. To pretend to be a christian, IFB even then to take every opportunity to usurp, correct, berate and attempt to instruct men in righteousness is OUTRAGEOUS to me and should be to you. The Bible is clear in its description of the weaker vessel as, "silly, easily deceived, laden with sins, blown about by every wind of doctrine" if left to their own spiritual discernment. That is why she is instructed to ask her husband before she decides on these things.

It is not comely for me to address this married lady directly, so I don't. She is instructed to teach young children in Spiritual matters, not men. I have no doubt this has come up before and not politically correct in the world and this site, so she is still here. It is your world on this site folks, I am just a curious passer by.
If she wants to ban me or the admin does, so be it. It is only passing curiosity that brings me back to this site now and then anyway.

:boxing: Wow sister, the moderator needs some moderation. The worldly emotional outbursts are to be expected though.

Hey if you thought that truth above stung, get a load of this:

I have to say brothers that I was intrigued to find this forum initially until I noticed the predominant and most vocal moderator was a woman.

Not to be unkind in any stretch, just the truth needs to be told. This woman is the worst kind of feminist. To pretend to be a christian, IFB even then to take every opportunity to usurp, correct, berate and attempt to instruct men in righteousness is OUTRAGEOUS to me and should be to you. The Bible is clear in its description of the weaker vessel as, "silly, easily deceived, laden with sins, blown about by every wind of doctrine" if left to their own spiritual discernment. That is why she is instructed to ask her husband before she decides on these things.

It is not comely for me to address this married lady directly, so I don't. She is instructed to teach young children in Spiritual matters, not men. I have no doubt this has come up before and not politically correct in the world and this site, so she is still here. It is your world on this site folks, I am just a curious passer by.
If she wants to ban me or the admin does, so be it. It is only passing curiosity that brings me back to this site now and then anyway.

One would think their Christian online friends would show their self to be friendly. But I guess not.

Don't worry, wretched, I'll not ban you.  If that happens, I'll leave it to BroMatt.  

You have little understanding of scripture, as is apparent from your rants, which you think cause worldly emotional outbursts...when all the while your rants are worldly self-righteous pablum.  You are not a curious passerby.  You are a troublemaker. 

It's not comely for you to address me directly, but it's comely for you to insult me and state lies about me?  Wow, that's the worst kind of cowardice.  

Thread locked because the thought expressed by the OP was hijacked.  Jerry8 (who was NOT the hijacker) wanted to have a serious conversation about worldly possessions while wretched didn't want to have a conversation, he wanted to glory in his self-righteous poverty.