• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

RSS Robot

Sbc's Page Urges Scouts Not To Change Policy On Gay Leaders

I was pretty upset when I heard that the BSA was considering changing their national policy restricting sodomites from being members. The reasons that they provided for their basis of considering the change was quite an obvious cop-out. (I'm paraphrasing here) "We are changing the national policy on restricting gay membership to allow for them to join. We still will not interfere with each troops decision to admit a  homosexual, if they choose to do so, or not. It will be left up to each troop. We just wanted to provide the opportunity for them." Really? How about just accepting the truth that you don't have enough intestinal fortitude to stand up for something, and bow under the pressure? A simpleton could look at the Scout Law and Oath and immediately tell that the BSA is a religious (primarily Christian) organization, and then come to the conclusion that there shouldn't even be a discussion about changing the policy.

Scout Law:

A Scout is -

Trustworthy

Loyal

Helpful

Friendly

Courteous

Kind

Obedient

Cheerful

Thrifty

Brave

Clean

and REVERENT

Scout Oath -

On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to GOD and my country. To obey the Scout Law, and to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and MORALLY STRAIGHT.

(All emphasis mine)

I heard on the radio today that the two biggest supporters of the Boy Scouts, The Mormon Church and the Methodist Church are not jumping in on this as they have in years past. It seems the Mormon Church is saying nothing. Which it seems that since they supported the "anti-homosexual" bill in California and then took much heat from the pro-homosexual movement, they have become rather quiet and seem to be considering accepting homosexuality as okay. The Methodist church has put out a middle of the road statement saying they are fine with the national Scouts leadership leaving decisions regarding homosexuals in the Scouts to each local Scout troop.

What will be the reaction of real Christians? Will they continue to send their sons to Boy Scouts if they accept homosexual members and Scout leaders?

I was pretty upset when I heard that the BSA was considering changing their national policy restricting sodomites from being members. The reasons that they provided for their basis of considering the change was quite an obvious cop-out. (I'm paraphrasing here) "We are changing the national policy on restricting gay membership to allow for them to join. We still will not interfere with each troops decision to admit a  homosexual, if they choose to do so, or not. It will be left up to each troop. We just wanted to provide the opportunity for them." Really? How about just accepting the truth that you don't have enough intestinal fortitude to stand up for something, and bow under the pressure? A simpleton could look at the Scout Law and Oath and immediately tell that the BSA is a religious (primarily Christian) organization, and then come to the conclusion that there shouldn't even be a discussion about changing the policy.

Scout Law:

A Scout is -

Trustworthy

Loyal

Helpful

Friendly

Courteous

Kind

Obedient

Cheerful

Thrifty

Brave

Clean

and REVERENT

Scout Oath -

On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to GOD and my country. To obey the Scout Law, and to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and MORALLY STRAIGHT.

(All emphasis mine)

Scouting has got nothing to do with sex, so I don't understand why the Scout Movement is even enquiring about the sexuality of its members and leaders. It's not a Christian organisation anyway--the very vague promise 'to God' made on the day of joining a pack/patrol is the first and last bit of religious content the average cub/scout will get from scouting.

Scouting has got nothing to do with sex, so I don't understand why the Scout Movement is even enquiring about the sexuality of its members and leaders. It's not a Christian organisation anyway--the very vague promise 'to God' made on the day of joining a pack/patrol is the first and last bit of religious content the average cub/scout will get from scouting.

Boy Scouts used to be much more Christian, and some local troops still are.

They ask about the sexuality for the same reason most groups don't have heterosexual men leading groups of young girls; to avoid sexual temptation, to avoid the danger of sexual assault or even "consensual" sex at Scouting events.

I went for a BSA page for Christian Merit Badges and found they have "Religious Emblems" for every religion under the sun. They are not awarded by BSA but by the "religious leader" for the particular religion. 

When I was a youth in Podunk Ohio, we were encouraged to participate in our local church. That's as much as I can say from personal experience.

I went for a BSA page for Christian Merit Badges and found they have "Religious Emblems" for every religion under the sun. They are not awarded by BSA but by the "religious leader" for the particular religion. 

When I was a youth in Podunk Ohio, we were encouraged to participate in our local church. That's as much as I can say from personal experience.

The Boy Scouts have followed the politically correct road and are much more "inclusive" than they used to be.

The local Boy Scout troop here still meets in the same church they did back when I was a child. The leaders are all Christians, as are most of the boys.

That's certainly no longer the norm.

A couple of months ago, my Pastor asked me to look into what it would take to start a Boy Scout troop that would only be available to church members. I met and spoke with the local council's "recruiter" and got all of the paperwork and information that would be needed. We have just been waiting on the right time to meet with all of the church members and see if there is enough interest level to start a troop. In light of these developments, I am considering meeting with the Pastor and recommending we don't proceed with the troop. I'm waiting to see how this decision plays out. It's a tough nut for me to swallow, since I was involved in Boy Scouts since I was a Cub Scout. I made it all the way to Eagle Scout and have been an Assistant Scout Master for a troop in a town I once lived in. I know how much of a benefit the program can be, but I will not yoke myself to a group that openly supports sodomites. I am praying that they don't change any policies, because it will only hurt the organization.

A couple of months ago, my Pastor asked me to look into what it would take to start a Boy Scout troop that would only be available to church members. I met and spoke with the local council's "recruiter" and got all of the paperwork and information that would be needed. We have just been waiting on the right time to meet with all of the church members and see if there is enough interest level to start a troop. In light of these developments, I am considering meeting with the Pastor and recommending we don't proceed with the troop. I'm waiting to see how this decision plays out. It's a tough nut for me to swallow, since I was involved in Boy Scouts since I was a Cub Scout. I made it all the way to Eagle Scout and have been an Assistant Scout Master for a troop in a town I once lived in. I know how much of a benefit the program can be, but I will not yoke myself to a group that openly supports sodomites. I am praying that they don't change any policies, because it will only hurt the organization.

It would be more work, but you could run an independent children's group along the same lines - since you were wanting it to be for church members families only I would think that the full affiliation could be problematic anyway.
You have the background and experience - give it a go.
(also you wouldn't have the associations with a compromising group.)