• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Eagle One

New Here Searching

Been brought up Jewish, but met some people on the street who were showing me some verses from my Bible from Isaiah and asked me to think about them.  NOt sure where the people were from, but found this site on line, and would like to know what else I can look at.  Thanks for your help. 

Welcome, Eagle.  I'm glad you are searching.  A good place to begin is the Gospel of John, the fourth book of the New Testament.  Do you have an Authorized Version?  That would be the best to use.  Feel free to ask questions - we have such a wide variety of folk on here that I'm sure your questions will be answered.

Good (Authorized and King James are the same)!  Start with the Gospel of John.  That gospel speaks to the deity of Jesus Christ.  When you get to the end, go back to Isaiah 53 and read it.  While you are reading it, simply ask God the Father to show you the truth as you read.  And, as you read, if you have questions, as I said, feel free to ask.

Welcome indeed.  I agree wholeheartedly with the recommendation to start in the book of John as it is the best picture of Jesus and His purpose.  After that I always recommend Romans and then go back and read the other three Gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke) then Acts and Hebrews.

I'll certainly pray for you that God will illuminate the Scripture for you.

Hi Swatdiver,

I rememebr looking at Proverbs 30-4 which is saying that G-D has a son.  Are there any other verses in the Old Testament ( Torah) which refers to G-d's son? They also should me and had me read Isaiah 53 which was very intgeresting.  Any other suggestins would be helpful or any suggestions on who I can talk to.

There is a guy named Arnold Fructenbaum (might not have the spelling right) who calls himself a Messianic Jew - he has some good information that you might relate to.
I remember seeing him explain the Messiah in the Passover, but it was many years ago, so my memory of it is very shakey.
But if you compare the Passover to the ministry of Jesus you see amazing parallels.
The stripes on the Passover bread, the hiding of some of that bread for a time, the bitter herbs given to the Lord on the cross....

I don't agree with everything he says and teaches, but he is of the Levitical line and raised in a strict orthodox home, so he understands his heritage, and has come to realise that Jesus is the longed.for Messiah.

I was blown away the first time I noticed the verse in Proverbs 30........
The book of Hebrews speak of course to the Jewish people and shows how the Lord Jesus Christ fulfills the pictures of the Old Testament.
Read Matthew and John (1St and 4th books of the New Testament) first, then onto Hebrews then Roman - all the while keeping in mind the things you have been taught about the Messiah.

Oh, and welcome.
Ask, and people here will answer as best we can.
But remember, we are just men, so we might not know every answer. ;)

Edited by DaveW

Here are 44 prophecies/references in the Old Testament that Jesus fulfilled (with their New Testament verses for cross reference)  This is not all-inclusive, but should be a good start:

1 - Messiah would be born of a woman - Genesis 3:15 (Matthew 1:20; Galatians 4:4)

2 - Messiah would be born in Bethlehem - Micah 5:2 (Matthew 2:1; Luke 2:4-6)

3 - Messiah would be born of a virgin - Isaiah 7:14 (Matthew 1:22-23; Luke 1:26-31)

4 - Messiah would come from the line of Abraham - Genesis 12:3, 21:12 (Matthew 1:1; Romans 9:5)

5 - Messiah would be a descendant of Isaac - Genesis 17:19, 21:12 (Luke 3:34)

6 - Messiah would be a descendant of Jacob - Numbers 24:17 (Matthew 1:2)

7 - Messiah would come from the tribe of Judah - Genesis 49:10 (Luke 3:33; Hebrews 7:14)

8 - Messiah would be heir to King David's throne. - 2 Samuel 7:12-13; Isaiah 9:7 (Luke 1:32-33; Romans 1:3)

9 - Messiah's throne will be anointed and eternal. - Psalm 45:6-7; Daniel 2:44 (Luke 1:33; Hebrews 1:8-12)

10 - Messiah would be called Immanuel. - Isaiah 7:14 (Matthew 1:23)

11 - Messiah would spend a season in Egypt - Hosea 11:1 (Matthew 2:14-15)

12 - A massacre of children would happen at Messiah's birthplace - Jeremiah 31:15 (Matthe 2:16-18)

13 - A messenger would prepare the way for Messiah - Isaiah 40:3-5 (Luke 3:3-6)

14 - Messiah would be rejected by his own people - Psalm 69:8; Isaiah 53:3 (John 1:11, 7:5)

15 - Messiah would be a prophet - Deuteronomy 18:15 (Acts 3:20-22)

16 - Messiah would be preceded by Elijah - Malachi 4:5-6 (Matthew 11:13-14)

17 - Messiah would be declared the Son of God - Psalm 2:7 (Matthew 3:16-17)

18 - Messiah would be called a Nazarene - Isaiah 11:1 (Matthew 2:23)

19 - Messiah would bring light to Galilee - Isaiah 9:1-2 (Matthew 4:13-16)

20 - Messiah would speak in parables - Psalm 78:2-4 (Matthew 13:10-15, 34-35)

21 - Messiah would be sent to heal the brokenhearted - Isaiah 61:1-2 (Luke 4:18-19)

22 - Messiah would be a priest after the order of Melchizedek - Psalm 110:4 (Hebrews 5:5-6)

23 - Messiah would be called a king - Psalm 2:6; Zechariah 9:9 (Matthew 27:37; Mark 11:7-11)

24 - Messiah would be praised by little children - Psalm 8:2 (Matthew 21:16)

25 - Messiah would be betrayed - Psalm 41:9; Zechariah 11:12-13 (Luke 22:47-48; Matthew 26:14-16)

26 - Messiah's price (betrayal) money would be used to buy a potter's field - Zechariah 11:12-13 (Matthew 27:9-10)

27 - Messiah would be falsely accused - Psalm 35:11 (Mark 14:57-58)

28 - Messiah would be silent before his accusers - Isaiah 53:7 (Mark 15:4-5)

29 - Messiah would be spat upon and struck - Isaiah 50:6 (Matthew 26:67)

30 - Messiah would be hated without cause - Psalm 35:19, 69:4 (John 15:24-25)

31 - Messiah would be crucified with criminals - Isaiah 53:12 (Matthew 27:38; Mark 15:27-28)

32 - Messiah would be given vinegar to drink - Psalm 69:21 (Matthew 27:34; John 19:28-30)

33 - Messiah's hands and feet would be pierced - Psalm 22:16; Zechariah 12:10 (John 20:25-27)

34 - Messiah would be mocked and ridiculed - Psalm 22:7-8 (Luke 23:35)

35 - Soldiers would gamble for Messiah's garments - Psalm 22:18 (Luke 23:34; Matthew 27:35-36)

36 - Messian's bones would not be broken - Exodus 12:46; Psalm 34:20 (John 19:33-36)

37 - Messiah would be forsaken by God - Psalm 22:1 (Matthew 27:46)

38 - Messiah would pray for his enemies - Psalm 109:4 (Luke 23:34)

39 - Soldiers would pierce Messiah's side - Zechariah 12:10 (John 19:34)

40 - Messiah would be buried with the rich - Isaiah 53:9 (Matthew 27:57-60)

41 - Messiah would rise from the dead - Psalm 16:10, 49:15 (Matthew 28:2-7; Acts 2:22-32)

42 - Messiah would ascend to heaven - Psalm 24:7-10 (Mark 16:19; Luke 24:51; Acts 1:9)

43 - Messiah would be seated at God's right hand - Psalm 68:18; 110:1 (Mark 16:19; Matthew 22:44)

44 - Messiah would be a sacrifice for sin - Isaiah 53:5-12 (Romans 5:6-8)

Again, there are many other New Testament cross-references, but these should suffice to make the points.  I hope this is helpful

There is a guy named Arnold Fructenbaum (might not have the spelling right) who calls himself a Messianic Jew - he has some good information that you might relate to.
I remember seeing him explain the Messiah in the Passover, but it was many years ago, so my memory of it is very shakey.
But if you compare the Passover to the ministry of Jesus you see amazing parallels.
The stripes on the Passover bread, the hiding of some of that bread for a time, the bitter herbs given to the Lord on the cross....

I don't agree with everything he says and teaches, but he is of the Levitical line and raised in a strict orthodox home, so he understands his heritage, and has come to realise that Jesus is the longed.for Messiah.

I was blown away the first time I noticed the verse in Proverbs 30........
The book of Hebrews speak of course to the Jewish people and shows how the Lord Jesus Christ fulfills the pictures of the Old Testament.
Read Matthew and John (1St and 4th books of the New Testament) first, then onto Hebrews then Roman - all the while keeping in mind the things you have been taught about the Messiah.

Oh, and welcome.
Ask, and people here will answer as best we can.
But remember, we are just men, so we might not know every answer. ;)

Jews for Jesus is a great group, and I believe they organized the Jesus in the Passover. I watched it a couple times, and liked it so much, I bought the book, the seder and the video, and now I teach it each Passover for Resurrection Day, which we celebrate rather than Easter, (which is a whole other subject.)

J4J also shows messianic explanation for the feast of tabernacles and trumpets. Fascinating stuff! All are former Jews who have been converted to Christianity but often hold to much of the Jewish law so as to better reach other Jews, as Paul did.

Hi Swatdiver,

I rememebr looking at Proverbs 30-4 which is saying that G-D has a son.  Are there any other verses in the Old Testament ( Torah) which refers to G-d's son? They also should me and had me read Isaiah 53 which was very intgeresting.  Any other suggestins would be helpful or any suggestions on who I can talk to.

The Bible is surely amazing isn't it?  I was in awe the first time I read Isaiah 53.  Stunned again with Proverbs 30:4 and marveled when my preacher taught us about Jesus as he read Genesis 3.

Every book in the Old (Torah) and New Testament points to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Open your heart to him Eagle One; make repentance towards God and put your faith in Christ today.  The good folks here will do all we can to answer your questions and show you the way.  As for reading at this time, the best advice has been given by my brothers. 

Thank you!  I will start looking up those references, ect.  I never realized that there are so may references of Jesus in my own Bible.  Are there may Jewish people who believe in Jesus?

Yes, we have more than a few Jews who've accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior in our local church.  The Gospel is for everyone!

Been brought up Jewish, but met some people on the street who were showing me some verses from my Bible from Isaiah and asked me to think about them.  NOt sure where the people were from, but found this site on line, and would like to know what else I can look at.  Thanks for your help. 

Hello Eagle One and welcome to the forum.  It is a pleasure to have one of Jehovah's chosen here with us.  

You asked if there any many Jewish people who believe in Jesus, and the answer is far more than you may think.  One thing you might consider is all of the early believers in Christianity, were all Jewish.  Most all of the early church and believers were Jewish.  

I have been formally trained by an Organization called the International Board of Jewish Missions.  I am very familiar with the Tanakh and work extensively with Jewish people.  All of the examples that have been given here are great examples.  I will be glad to chime in with some information as well, but I will concentrate my efforts from the Tanakh, The Prophets and the Writings since this is what you are familiar with.  

Would you be willing to share if you are Orthodox or reformed, conservative or perhaps non practicing?  This will help to let me know perhaps a bit better where you are coming from and what you understand.

Let's start with a few verses that you are very familiar with.

Genesis 3:15  And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
Most important here is the seed.  This is the first prophecy of the Messiah.

Malachi 4:2  But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
Luke 2:4-11  And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)  (5)  To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.  (6)  And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.  (7)  And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.  (8)  And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.  (9)  And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.  (10)  And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  (11)  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

Micah 5:2  But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

Isaiah 7:14  Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
Matthew 1:18-23  Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.  (19)  Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.  (20)  But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.  (21)  And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.  (22)  Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,  (23)  Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Zechariah 9:9  Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.
Matthew 21:1-11  And when they drew nigh unto Jerusalem, and were come to Bethphage, unto the mount of Olives, then sent Jesus two disciples,  (2)  Saying unto them, Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall find an ass tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me.  (3)  And if any man say ought unto you, ye shall say, The Lord hath need of them; and straightway he will send them.  (4)  All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying,  (5)  Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass.  (6)  And the disciples went, and did as Jesus commanded them,  (7)  And brought the ass, and the colt, and put on them their clothes, and they set him thereon.  (8)  And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way; others cut down branches from the trees, and strawed them in the way.  (9)  And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the Son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest.  (10)  And when he was come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying, Who is this?  (11)  And the multitude said, This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee.

If this is helpful my friend let me know and I would be glad to give you more examples.

Edited by The Ohio Patriot

Welcome eagle, I am at the library, so I don't have access to my Bible program, but Isaiah 9:6 seems to have been overlooked here.  It call Christ "The Mighty God", as well a Counselor, etc.  

Also, you might read the Book of Hebrews, and especially chapter seven where "Melchezedek" is obviously referring to Christ.  In Genesis 13 or 14, Abraham paid tithes to this melchezedek, the "King of rightoeusness", who represents Christ, made higher than the angels, as Hebrews said.   I believe Hebrews was written especially to the jew, although it includes every man as a whole. 

Anyway, welcome, I hope you find the answers to your hearts questions.

Beware Eagle One that Satan (and his minions) will discourage you.  He will send friends and loved ones (themselves unawares) to destroy your blossoming faith.  Stay the course and keep learning, separate from those hostile to God and not willing to listen or support your efforts to learn.

Been talking to a person, who was taken me step by step, looking at verses from the Torah.  What I have learned is that you need a blood covering "atonement" to get your sins forgiven.  Doing good deeds, ect is not the way.  Looked at many verses ( Leviticus, the story of Abraham & Isacc, Passover) in which the talks about that you need the Blood.  Also looked at verses which talk about Prophacies of the Messiah. and that you need Faith to be counted for Righteousness.  Looked at verses in Hebrews which ( was amazing) as it talked about all the people from the Old Testament which had "Faith".  My main stubling block is dealing with my family, ect.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Like to thank all of you on this Forum for being so helpful and understanding.