• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Miss Daisy

Acoustic Guitars Ok?

Once a month, one of the eldest members of our church gingerly makes his way to the front of the choir and plays a hymn with his electric dulcimer.  I'd never seen one before and enjoy listening to him play it.  He's trained up a young man, a member, to take his place when he goes home to be with the Lord.

Once a month, one of the eldest members of our church gingerly makes his way to the front of the choir and plays a hymn with his electric dulcimer.  I'd never seen one before and enjoy listening to him play it.  He's trained up a young man, a member, to take his place when he goes home to be with the Lord.

I love dulcimers!

We had a lady coming along for a while who was utterly disappointed when I showed her that drums are used in the Bible to praise the Lord.
She was having an argument with her husband about it (he is Catholic - never could get him to see....).

She just could not see past the surface to the.principles behind it.
She wanted there to be no drums so.that she could say "Drums are not in the Bible so drums are wrong".
I tried to explain it to her, but she was just not interested - she was going to go and study it more so.she could prove that they were not drums..........

I think she is one of the biggest hurdles to her husband's salvation.

Eh...I think it is a stretch.  Percussion, yes.  Drum????  Well not as we know them....I don't know that it is appropriate to broaden the definition of a word to prove a point, esp. when your target audience (this one poor soul) has no idea what you are talking about. 

The fact is that drums are not mentioned BY NAME in the Scripture, and we still call tamborines "TAMBORINES" and not "hand drums."   We don't call cymbals "hand drums" either...we call them CYMBALS.

I am not into playing semantics to prove my point....

That being said, drums can be used properly for the glory of God.  So I agree that it is not the instrument per se (although I don't know that I could ever approve of electric guitars and the like!), it is the manner it is played (for the most part...I will freely admit there are some instruments I have problems with...)

Regardless whether or not you are into playing semantics, the point was that SHE was so wrapped up in technicalities and arguing them that she (in my opinion) was a stumblingblock to her husband's salvation.

• Similar Content

• By Alan
      Hope you enjoy some Classical Christmas Songs for the Holidays courtesy of the London Symphony Orchestra.
      May the Lord bless all of you during the Christmas season and have a blessed time with your family and friends.
      "And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS." Matthew 1:25
      Alan
    • By Musician4God1611
      I thought about putting this under the Music forum, but it isn't really a Biblical issue (at least I hope not!!!) so I put it in the Lounge. Just think of it as chamber music.

Here's my contribution. (PS, this was impromptu so please excuse my uncombed hair.)

• By Musician4God1611
      Just wanted to share an experience to all the musicians and aspiring musicians with kids. I started teaching my daughter (2 years old) the piano. I know, I'm crazy. But really it was easy. I took colored construction paper and tape, and color coated two octaves of white keys. And rather than teach her A B C D E F G, I taught her Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Si Do. Well, I've been at it for a month or two now, and not only does she know all the notes by heart, she can hit them by command as I call them out randomly.
      Teach your children music, because it will impact their life, and their life will impact their church, and their church will impact the world.
    • By Jordan Kurecki
      What music artists can you recommend?

Please no Southern Gospel.
    • By Jordan Kurecki
      I am currently looking for new music, I have recently turned away from Southern Gospel.

I am convinced that heavy ragtime/ swing/ boogie woogie rhythms have no place in sacred music.

Can you recommend some music?

I really do not like large choir style music because I have a hard time picking out the words.

thanks in advance.