• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Miss Daisy

Acoustic Guitars Ok?

I've been ordering a few CD's of hymns we sing in church and we only use piano. One CD is a mix of piano and acoustic guitar. Just kind of wondering what instruments are allowed (ok) in fundamental, independent baptist churches? and if acoustic guitar is ok then why isn't an electric guitar? I don't like either one personally. Just asking.

I've been ordering a few CD's of hymns we sing in church and we only use piano. One CD is a mix of piano and acoustic guitar. Just kind of wondering what instruments are allowed (ok) in fundamental, independent baptist churches? and if acoustic guitar is ok then why isn't an electric guitar? I don't like either one personally. Just asking.

Depends on the church

Its can be different in each church, so there's many different opinions out there. And the following is just my opinion & preference.

My favorite is use only a piano, & that is all we use.  I've been a member of two churches that had both piano & organ, I see no harm.

I've also been a member of churches where someone sings a special & uses caned music, I love the special ail  but I don't care for the canned music. I feel there's nothing prettier that a special being sang accompanied by a piano.

I'm not much on having guitar's, drums, & all that other musical equipment in church, but its sure getting popular.

Edited to add this.

I have not bought or listened to a CD in quite some time. But I remember buying on a 2 or maybe it was 3 CD's several years back that had old hymns accompanied by only a piano. I thought that was some of the best music I had ever heard on a CD. I need to hunt them up & placed them on my computer so I can lsten to them once in a while.

I will add this, I grew up in church, my mother played the piano. Plus mother had a piano at home. I would give anything to once again hear the sound of mother in the house playing old hymns while I was riding around out house of my bicycle. WOW that's precious memories for me. Plus mother taught a few people to play. And I remember many times people from church coming to our house in the evening time & they would practice a song they were going to sing at church or some type of meeting. So perhaps that is why I love only having a piano accompanied with hymns.

Edited by Jerry80871852

I cannot find an actual problem with either. And as a musician and a student of the Scriptures, I challenge anyone to show me others (not because I think I am always right, but rather because if I am wrong I want to know). I personally do not like electric guitars but that truly has no bearing.

Two things to consider:

1: the music, itself. The instrument, with very, very few exceptions, is the problem; what is it playing? HOW is it playing? Even a piano can be used to play terrible, ungodly music. But a ukulele, guitar and saxaphone can play beautiful, godly music, if played correctly.

2: This is where the 'Independent" part of IFB comes from: as long as the music is proper, it will depend on the church. Personally, it is fine in our assembly, but neither will I frown at a church that disallows it; we each must answer to the Lord in areas of liberty.

I cannot find an actual problem with either. And as a musician and a student of the Scriptures, I challenge anyone to show me others (not because I think I am always right, but rather because if I am wrong I want to know). I personally do not like electric guitars but that truly has no bearing.

I take it your challenge is to prove its wrong, I challenge you to find a post in this topic so far that condemns it? And I ask who in particular are your challenging? Being as no one has condemned it thus far.

Edited by Jerry80871852

One of the college classes that I recently finished we studied music very thoroughly and I will have to admit that even though I had a pretty good grasp of what "rock" and CCM, and several other types of music caused, I was very ignorant of the subject.  In fact I posted here under sermons one of the answers that I had prepared to the question,  Why do parents and preachers make such an issue about music?  

I believe I understand the context of this question to be a desire to learn from someone else here, if it could be proved, that either an acoustic guitar or piano, or any instrument is wrong to use.  While I am sure some would disagree, and some would agree, it is not the instrument that causes the danger, or harm.  It is the beats, the rhythm, the words, etc.  I can not ever remember having an electric guitar or drums played in an Independent Baptist Church I have attended, and I am sure that this would set most Pastors on edge very quickly.  

I have experienced several other instruments being played in what I, and many other people's opinions would consider a method that would Glorify God.  Music is a very dangerous issue and must be taken very seriously.  We have some in the IFB circles that are not adhering to sound principals when it comes to music, and we have some, using their widely distributed forums to brutally attack some sound, fundamental Christian men needlessly.  

Music is an area that we need to be vigilant and sound the alarm because largely this is a first step into CCM worship, which leads to a down hill spiral to such things as bible versions being changed, questioning the authority of scripture, and many churches removing Baptist from their names, as they believe this causes a reduction in their head counts on Sunday.  Let me just say to the Pastor's, if the head count is your focus for Sunday morning, you need to evaluate if you are following God's will or your will.  Perhaps ministry is not the correct profession for you.  

I am sure some have different opinions, and as others have mentioned, and that is fine, as each church is independent, but must adhere to the Bible as it's authority.  

The electric guitar is a symbol of rock-n-roll, it's the instrument that made rock popular.  As such, we should obey God and separate from it and things like it.  

The piano was considered the symbol of taverns and drunkenness and sin, which is why many churches once rejected their use yet most all Baptist churches today have and use pianos.

As has been posted above, musical instruments can be used to play any kind of music, both good and bad. The instruments themselves are not good or bad.

The electric guitar has been and is used in the playing of classical music, orchestras and other forms of music and can be played beautifully without ever playing a note of rock music.

I believe there is a sub-conscious association of instruments, music, and behaviour.  In our American culture, we make an immediate association between the electric guitar and rock music, or even modern country music.  Once we allow the electric guitar in, it is a steady (yet slow) drift towards other things.

The saxophone has an association with jazz music, and all it represents.  I simply don't think it is an appropriate association to bring into the Lord's house.

Some people will be offended by an acoustic guitar because they associate it with carnal memories - country music, or worldly bluegrass or something.

However, this association is not universal in nature, and that is why there is a wide variety of opinion on it.

Can an electric guitar be used to play proper music?  Sure, but I just don't think anyone is ready to disregard its strong association with the screaming rock solos.

Can a saxophone be used to play godly music?  Sure, but again, I simply cannot disassociate it from Jazz.

Can an acoustic guitar be used to play godly music?  Yes.  But its acceptance will be based on regional culture more than on association.  People in Bluegrass country will be more accepting of it than in other parts of the country, and can use it to play very good, clean music.

But in the end, we are independent baptists, and each church is going to have its own policies for its own reasons.  I would rather be too cautious and simple regarding music (staying with the basics with instrumentation) then too liberal.  If there is a "slippery slope" (and there is!), then I want to stay as far away from it as possible. 

What we as pastors and leaders have to understand is that we set a precedent for our church members by what we allow in our church services.  The average church member will take what we do in church, and go 2,3, or even 4 steps further than what we allow in church - and I mean 2-4 steps the WRONG WAY.  So we have a very important reason to remain extremely cautious and conservative.  We need to set the bar very high, and hope to draw people in the right direction by our example.

As was stated above, music is a very important and difficult issue to manage.  If not handled properly, it can destroy a church very quickly.

In Christ

The piano was considered the symbol of taverns and drunkenness and sin, which is why many churches once rejected their use yet most all Baptist churches today have and use pianos.

As has been posted above, musical instruments can be used to play any kind of music, both good and bad. The instruments themselves are not good or bad.

The electric guitar has been and is used in the playing of classical music, orchestras and other forms of music and can be played beautifully without ever playing a note of rock music.

Are you going liberal on me John?

There's nothing inherently wrong with a 5" heel either, right?  There wouldn't be any problem with a Godly woman wearing it in church, correct?  Just because it's the only thing worn by harlots in "gentlemen's clubs" doesn't make it wrong, right?

Come now John, you're ignoring the doctrine of separation.

Where is the outrage! How many deaths have to occur in one year before we ban guitars? Are you willing to wait until a loved one is lost from murder by guitar? Electric guitars seem to be more deadly than the acoustic ones. Is it possible guitar violence at concerts has anything to do with this outbreak of murder by guitars? Possibly the popular video games have some role to play in these terrible deaths.

Guitar murders seem to be on the rise. I don’t have statistics on just how many of these violent deaths have occurred but, we do know the youth of our country have come to nearly worship a smashed guitar on stage by rock musicians. Look at the following evidence of guitar murder on the rise.

April 2009

Affidavit: Springs man killed mom with guitar

http://www.denverpos...ews/ci_12054945

April 2012

Austin police: Man beaten to death with guitar

http://www.kvue.com/...-148586725.html

Most recent December 2012

Pastor Killed, Beaten With Electric Guitar

http://www.nbcdfw.co...-176290281.html

Many fear this is just the tip of the iceberg for future guitar culture murders. Should we ban guitars particularly the electric guitar? There are far too many of them in society today.

You can buy one practically anywhere in the U.S. Even your small cities have “music stores” where you can purchase these deadly weapons and without a background check with the FBI! You can find a guitar at swap meets, “music instrument shows,” or at your local neighborhood yard sale. Its too easy to acquire one of thee deadly weapons.

I take it your challenge is to prove its wrong, I challenge you to find a post in this topic so far that condemns it? And I ask who in particular are your challenging? Being as no one has condemned it thus far.

I was merely bracing for the inevitable. looking a little into the future if you will.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a 5" heel either, right?  There wouldn't be any problem with a Godly woman wearing it in church, correct?  Just because it's the only thing worn by harlots in "gentlemen's clubs" doesn't make it wrong, right?

Suits and ties are often associated with politicians...do you wish to identify with them. There comes a point when we have to draw the line and realize that the way we were taught to think and react to things may not necessarily be 100% Bible truth. Or we need to go all the way and apply these principles to everything.

Stating the truth is not going liberal. If you are going to remove everything from the church that has a wordly association then you are going to have to empty much of the church and the folks in the church are going to have be wearing some very odd clothes.

Separation is a matter of separating from sin, not separating from things that are neither good nor bad.

The concept of high heels on womens shoes whether a couple inches or five inches is to enhance the appeal of their legs, accentuate their behind and sensualize their walk. Are you going to go around the church telling all the women wearing heels to be rid of their shoes?

Your standards of what's acceptable in church was once rejected by previous generations of Christians. Who was right, you or them; or in some cases is it a matter of preference or conscience?

When I hear a piano playing a hymn I don't think of bars, when I hear a guitar (whether accoustic or electric) playing a Christian song I don't think of rock or country music, when a church has an orchestra playing Christian music I'm not thinking of the evil ways every instrument there has or can be used.

We are called to pursue Christ and personal holiness in our lives first but that seems to be cast aside by most as a last thought. We spend far more time worrying about what instruments the church down the block might be playing hymns on, or what law some politician will push effecting guns or the continual ungodly things occuring in public schools than we do actually pursuing an ever growing personal relationship with the Lord.

Psalm 92

It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O Most High:

2 To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night,

3 Upon an instrument of ten strings, and upon the psaltery; upon the harp with a solemn sound.

4 For thou, Lord, hast made me glad through thy work: I will triumph in the works of thy hands.

I've owned and played my acoustic 12-string guitar for the past 27 years. When I fingerpick it 'classical style' and it's tuned just right, that thing can make some truly beautiful notes.(not bragging..its the design of the guitar) Each pair of strings, except the B and high E pairs, have one string tuned an octave higher than the other. This design gives the 12 string a "heavenly" ethereal ring when playing an arpeggio of individual notes. Anyway, if I removed two of those extra strings, my guitar wouldn't sound quite the same but it would be scriptural. :)

I must say; I love to hear a good piano solo and when it's played just right, it can move me to tears: I can't help it sometimes. It's happened at church many times and my daughter has done that to me when playing her piano in the house.  But whenever I'm playing my guitar, singing about Him, and I get to thinking about His lovingkindness and His faithfulness accompanyed by a few lovely notes, it gets to pulling on my old heart strings and I want to worship God. I don't think I could get that from a stratocaster with distortion effects at 120 decibels but that could be just me. The Bible says that true worshippers worship the Father in Spirit and Truth so I think both need to be present in your music, no matter what the instrument....your heart needs to be right when you're playing it. Does this make sense? And if your heart is right, there won't be any room for exalting the flesh with the music, as seems to be so prevalent today. The instrument and the instrumentalist need to "shew forth (His) lovingkindness and faithfulness...."

Edited by heartstrings

I believe there is a sub-conscious association of instruments, music, and behaviour.  In our American culture, we make an immediate association between the electric guitar and rock music, or even modern country music.  Once we allow the electric guitar in, it is a steady (yet slow) drift towards other things.

The saxophone has an association with jazz music, and all it represents.  I simply don't think it is an appropriate association to bring into the Lord's house.

Some people will be offended by an acoustic guitar because they associate it with carnal memories - country music, or worldly bluegrass or something.

However, this association is not universal in nature, and that is why there is a wide variety of opinion on it.

Can an electric guitar be used to play proper music?  Sure, but I just don't think anyone is ready to disregard its strong association with the screaming rock solos.

Can a saxophone be used to play godly music?  Sure, but again, I simply cannot disassociate it from Jazz.

Can an acoustic guitar be used to play godly music?  Yes.  But its acceptance will be based on regional culture more than on association.  People in Bluegrass country will be more accepting of it than in other parts of the country, and can use it to play very good, clean music.

But in the end, we are independent baptists, and each church is going to have its own policies for its own reasons.  I would rather be too cautious and simple regarding music (staying with the basics with instrumentation) then too liberal.  If there is a "slippery slope" (and there is!), then I want to stay as far away from it as possible. 

What we as pastors and leaders have to understand is that we set a precedent for our church members by what we allow in our church services.  The average church member will take what we do in church, and go 2,3, or even 4 steps further than what we allow in church - and I mean 2-4 steps the WRONG WAY.  So we have a very important reason to remain extremely cautious and conservative.  We need to set the bar very high, and hope to draw people in the right direction by our example.

As was stated above, music is a very important and difficult issue to manage.  If not handled properly, it can destroy a church very quickly.

In Christ

I agree. And that's the problem, what it leads to. Yet we are in the age of anything goes in many churches. And few respect for the conservative churches, conservative Christians, that keeps out the new age music.

Like the one down the road from me, the pastors son had a band, made up of young long haired boys & their electric guitars & such. One day I was at the cemetery & I hear the Devil Went Down to Georgia blasting from the church house.

Suits and ties are often associated with politicians...do you wish to identify with them. There comes a point when we have to draw the line and realize that the way we were taught to think and react to things may not necessarily be 100% Bible truth. Or we need to go all the way and apply these principles to everything.

from ‘Some Things I’ve learned’ by: Curtis Hutson

Personal appearance is important, page 79,80

“People judge you by three things: how you look, how you talk, and how you act. And the majority of those judgments or opinions are based solely on your appearance. Of all the people who see you, only a few have the opportunity to hear you talk, and still fewer get to observe the way you act. Therefore most opinions formed are based solely on your appearance.

A man charged with a crime is usually instructed by a wise lawyer to make the best possible appearance in the courtroom. He doesn’t want to come before the jury looking like a criminal but rather like a quite, nice, decent citizen. Therefore, he usually comes to court wearing a conservative suit and matching tie and speaks in polite tones.

Why? Because appearance is important. He wants to appear to the jury that he is not a criminal but a good citizen, perhaps even the neighbor next door.

Policemen should look like policemen: marines should look like marines, sailors should look like sailors, and a preacher should look like a preacher.

Give the right appearance. Wear polished shoes. Wear a nice tie. Make sure your clothes are clean and well pressed. Your clothing does not have to be expensive, but it should be neat. Keep your hair neatly groomed. A good haircut, a nice tie, shined shoes and a clean shirt will do a lot to offset a not-so-good suit.

When your meeting someone for the first time remember, there’s no second chance to make a first impression. The Scriptures says in 1 Samuel 16:7, “Man looketh on the outward appearance......”

Some good people have two strikes against them before they ever say a word because of the poor personal appearance. Before they say or do anything, and incorrect judgment has already been formed, based solely on appearance. They say you can’t tell a book by its cover, and that’s true. But many a good books are never sold because of a poor cover. And many not-so-good books have sold because of a good cover.”

Are we saying then that the type of instrument is responsible for corrupting peoples minds?  This runs along the same philosophy concerning other things I have seen posted here.

The same type of argument is used by the government concerning guns, they are dangerous because they have a pistol grip, or a large magazine.  Get rid of guns and crime will magically go away.  How is that working for those who have implemented it.

Consider three items, a gun, a trampoline and a Rottweiler.  All are considered by your insurance companies as severe risks. Yet a trampoline can not chase you down the road and attack you, nor can it stand up on it's legs and shoot projectiles at you.  I have had several dogs, German Shepherds who are as gentle as lambs.  The dogs can't harm you from across the room and chances are if you fell off the top of one of them, you would not suffer any major injuries.  

Now, consider an AR-15, what does it take for it to be dangerous to a civilian?  It takes a man with a heart problem.  The gun on it's own is inanimate and can do nothing.

What I am really blabbering about is what is at the heart of the issue with instruments.....  I contend it is man, and a heart problem.  It is not the instrument, though some can be used more effectively to alter our minds.  Don't get me wrong I am with most here, that music is a serious issue and needs to be handled by our church.  It is not the instrument itself, but just like a gun, a dog or a trampoline, it is how it is used.

Edited by The Ohio Patriot

I would say that the only instrument type we should generally avoid completely is drums. BUT, that being said, is it ALL drums? A god set of bass kettle-drums can nicely acentuate a fine orchestra, without having the beat that a drum set would have. I would say it is the drums used to make the heavy beat associated with rock, blues, country, and the like, having a place in pagan religion dating back to its use in Molech worship, where it was used to drown out the screams of the children being sacrificed. It can be used also as a hypnotic beat, to open the mind to demonic influence. And bongo drums-well, only hippies and beatnicks play those, so, no.

I have, and play, an electric/acoustic ukulele, but only use the electric in a venue where I need more volume-no different than using a microphone.

You know, I have seen these debates on music go round-n-round on many forums, and it is always the same debate.  There are a few who say that what Bible Believing Christians condemned in the past is now accepted.  They say that there is no consistency in how we determine clean Christian music from unclean music.  They say that since we accept music from not-so-doctrinally correct people in the past, that maybe we can do so now.

It is always the same argument....

What I have NOT seen from these people is any type of thorough, investigative study of the subject of music in general, or any type of substantial study of music in the Bible.  They stand on well rehearsed, good sounding rhetoric, but they fail in substance.  These people generally manipulate data to support their theories, but ignore vast amounts of condemning evidence.  They are looking for the "silver bullet" approach, when it is not quite so simple. 

Music is complicated. 

Even when we get clear guiding principles from the word of God, we will still have minor disagreements over what exactly is appropriate, and what is not.

However, there should be no question about adopting songs and music from people who are so diametrically opposed to the Bible, Jesus Christ, and all of the Biblical principles that we hold dear as independent Baptists.  Introducing songs by modern CCM artists should be nauseating to us as Bible Believers.  I can see absolutely no defense for it, when we know that they are not anywhere near what we believe. 

I cannot understand the mindset of the music leaders and pastors who condone such a thing.   And I will not accept anyone's lame arguments about what Bible Believers did in the past as a precedent for what we should do today.  In my view, that is a lazy way out of the debate.  I question their version of history, I question their understanding of history, I question their understanding of the differences between then and now,  I question their understanding of music in general, and I question their understanding of what the Bible has to say about the subject.  (PS - It has a LOT to say!!!)

So, in other words, if anyone here wants to defend the practices of BJU, WCBC, CHappell, or anyone else who is introducing this ecumenical worldly trash into our churches, I suggest you start giving us Scripture to defend your point of view.

It is not my intention to be mean or critical here.  So I ask that everyone reading this not interpret this post as any sort of personal attack on ANYONE.  I am simply tired of people making comments on these subjects, but never supporting their opinions with Scripture. 

Brethren, these things ought not to be so....

In Christ,

You know, I have seen these debates on music go round-n-round on many forums, and it is always the same debate.  There are a few who say that what Bible Believing Christians condemned in the past is now accepted.  They say that there is no consistency in how we determine clean Christian music from unclean music.  They say that since we accept music from not-so-doctrinally correct people in the past, that maybe we can do so now.

It is always the same argument....

What I have NOT seen from these people is any type of thorough, investigative study of the subject of music in general, or any type of substantial study of music in the Bible.  They stand on well rehearsed, good sounding rhetoric, but they fail in substance.  These people generally manipulate data to support their theories, but ignore vast amounts of condemning evidence.  They are looking for the "silver bullet" approach, when it is not quite so simple. 

Music is complicated. 

Even when we get clear guiding principles from the word of God, we will still have minor disagreements over what exactly is appropriate, and what is not.

However, there should be no question about adopting songs and music from people who are so diametrically opposed to the Bible, Jesus Christ, and all of the Biblical principles that we hold dear as independent Baptists.  Introducing songs by modern CCM artists should be nauseating to us as Bible Believers.  I can see absolutely no defense for it, when we know that they are not anywhere near what we believe. 

I cannot understand the mindset of the music leaders and pastors who condone such a thing.   And I will not accept anyone's lame arguments about what Bible Believers did in the past as a precedent for what we should do today.  In my view, that is a lazy way out of the debate.  I question their version of history, I question their understanding of history, I question their understanding of the differences between then and now,  I question their understanding of music in general, and I question their understanding of what the Bible has to say about the subject.  (PS - It has a LOT to say!!!)

So, in other words, if anyone here wants to defend the practices of BJU, WCBC, CHappell, or anyone else who is introducing this ecumenical worldly trash into our churches, I suggest you start giving us Scripture to defend your point of view.

It is not my intention to be mean or critical here.  So I ask that everyone reading this not interpret this post as any sort of personal attack on ANYONE.  I am simply tired of people making comments on these subjects, but never supporting their opinions with Scripture. 

Brethren, these things ought not to be so....

In Christ,

Actually, I have, indeed, done extensive studies in the subject of musice styles, and their acceptability in the church and in worship and praise of God. I have consulted numerous writers, to include David Cloud, as a contemporary of mine, and gone back to such writers as Dr. Herbert Tovey, who was the man who taught my parents music, and thus, me. And he was a stickler for doctrinal soundness in songs, as well as good, separated music.

Oh, I have also consulted the Bible, even though that often doesn't matter to some, particularly the proponents of CCM :biggrin: .(But I didn't say that!)

In my studies, I find definitely that the CCM and contemporary worship junk out there is unbiblical in many ways, especially in a breaking of separation from worldliness. Though I suspect pretty much all of us here agree with that. Another big issue is the idea of "Worship Music" in the first place-biblically, such a thing does not exist. From scripture, we find that worship has absolutely nothing to do with music, though it is often done in association with praise, which can be music. BUT worship itself is not music-it is bowing, or falling down before the Lord, whether we consider it in body and spirit or just spirit. Music is associated with praise. So, 'worship music' is a biblical non-sequiter, (am I using that correctly?). 

Of course, a great thing to do as well in such a study is a historical study of the rock music culture and it's predecessors, such as blues and the like-see their intentions, and the results of those concerts. A lot there to learn.

But one thing that I have not seen much is any biblical rejection of any instruments. Many are mentioned as being used in the temple, so we can assume that music is fine in the church, so then, it is necessary that we spend some time in secular study of the use of various instruments in pagan religions, and worldly use, and we make our decisions from such, seeking, first and foremost, to glorify God, not our own flesh.

"Of course, a great thing to do as well in such a study is a historical study of the rock music culture and it's predecessors, such as blues and the like-see their intentions, and the results of those concerts. A lot there to learn.

...so then, it is necessary that we spend some time in secular study of the use of various instruments in pagan religions, and worldly use, and we make our decisions from such, seeking, first and foremost, to glorify God, not our own flesh."

Weird things happen to quotes when I edit them down!

As for this one, BTDT!  

Again, all of this points to the fact that there is no set standard among IFBs (or other Christians) with regards to music. The historical context doesn't argue for following one or another side but simply points out the fact this debate regarding music is centuries old and at various points over the centuries there have been those who opposed hymns, instruments, and later new hymns and different instruments; while at the same time there were those who embraced them. All of that leading to what we do or don't have in our churches today and the continuation of the disagreements with regards to music.

It seems odd that we should study musicical history, even secular musical history, but we shouldn't consider music in the context of our Christian history.

Even so, when it comes right down to it there are few sitting in the pews who could tell us the author of a song they just sang in church, or what that author believed (or believes), and even fewer have any knowledge or understanding of music beyond what they prefer and dislike.

What seems clearly good to one Baptist may be denounced by the next. I've even heard white Baptists declare that the music in black Baptist churches is great for blacks, that it allows them to express themselves to God, yet they proclaim the same music is wrong, even sinful, in white churches. I've also heard black Baptists talk about how dead the music is in white Baptist churches and fails to truly praise God.

We have sound Baptist pastors who say one thing regarding music and others who say something opposite, and still others who say something different than either of those.

Who is to decide what is or isn't acceptable in an Independent Baptist church when there is no consensus among IFBs regarding the issue? Do we each simply declare we are right, everyone else wrong, and then spend our time denouncing one another?

Without a consistent, set standard regarding music, much of this debate can lead nowhere but to further debate and damage to IFBs as a whole.

I always find it interesting that one argument in the music debate is that you must study and understand the metre, and things.such as syncopation before one can understand and discern truly Godly music, but the same standard is not suggested for many other areas.

I wonder if God truly requires a man to have a musical qualification before he can live Godly in the area of music?

• Similar Content

• By Alan
      Hope you enjoy some Classical Christmas Songs for the Holidays courtesy of the London Symphony Orchestra.
      May the Lord bless all of you during the Christmas season and have a blessed time with your family and friends.
      "And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS." Matthew 1:25
      Alan
    • By Musician4God1611
      I thought about putting this under the Music forum, but it isn't really a Biblical issue (at least I hope not!!!) so I put it in the Lounge. Just think of it as chamber music.

Here's my contribution. (PS, this was impromptu so please excuse my uncombed hair.)

• By Musician4God1611
      Just wanted to share an experience to all the musicians and aspiring musicians with kids. I started teaching my daughter (2 years old) the piano. I know, I'm crazy. But really it was easy. I took colored construction paper and tape, and color coated two octaves of white keys. And rather than teach her A B C D E F G, I taught her Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Si Do. Well, I've been at it for a month or two now, and not only does she know all the notes by heart, she can hit them by command as I call them out randomly.
      Teach your children music, because it will impact their life, and their life will impact their church, and their church will impact the world.
    • By Jordan Kurecki
      What music artists can you recommend?

Please no Southern Gospel.
    • By Jordan Kurecki
      I am currently looking for new music, I have recently turned away from Southern Gospel.

I am convinced that heavy ragtime/ swing/ boogie woogie rhythms have no place in sacred music.

Can you recommend some music?

I really do not like large choir style music because I have a hard time picking out the words.

thanks in advance.