• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Memorizing The New Testament

Dr James Ach

• Members

I have thought about doing that, my "accent" does not go over very well, and it takes about 30 minutes to go through just one of the larger books (Matthew-Acts, and Revelation). Then the other thought would be that critics would consider it bragging, and that would be a persuasive argument. The proof is in people trying this for themselves, and once they do, they will discover it really works:)

Well Sir, many folks consider your accomplishment a blessing and an encouragement. I wouldn't let critics dictate my actions (unless they're right). In my mind you have complete bragging rights anyway (not that you would).

I don't have a TV in my house, but I'd gather the family around the computer for a video of someone quoting a book of the Bible.

Wow, I'm still blown away.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My tip: For various reasons certain verses were more challenging than others. So it helped me to memorize the first letter of every word and use that as a legend. For instance, if I found myself frequently quoting this passage incorrectly:

Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: (Colossians 1:12)

This is a 21 word verse. I'd take the first letter of each word to produce something like this: GtutF whmum tbp otiotsil

This odd legend would help me to not leave out any words or exchange similar words when reciting the tricky passage.

• Members

My tip: For various reasons certain verses were more challenging than others. So it helped me to memorize the first letter of every word and use that as a legend. For instance, if I found myself frequently quoting this passage incorrectly:

Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: (Colossians 1:12)

This is a 21 word verse. I'd take the first letter of each word to produce something like this: GtutF whmum tbp otiotsil

This odd legend would help me to not leave out any words or exchange similar words when reciting the tricky passage.

That seems a bit of an overload because you have to memorize a lengthy acronym just to memorize the verse LOL :)

If you have difficulty with a verse like that, try breaking it down into sections like:

"Giving thanks unto the Father" x25

"which hath made us meet...     x25

"to be partakers of the inheritance....x25

"of the saints in light x25

After you do the first section, when you get to the second part, go back to the first and then quote the 2 first parts, then move to the third x25 then back to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd once, and then finish with the 4th x25, then back to 1,2,3 and 4.

The KJV has a built-in "rhythm" which makes it easy to memorize. So if you come to a verse that is giving you trouble, try breaking it down like that.

The important part though is getting that review system down so you retain it.

Song:

I think Jack and I are even on the NT, but I think he's got me on the OT. In Israel, it is not uncommon to find several that have the entire OT memorized which I have yet to accomplish. Actors memorize entire scripts movie after movie and I am ashamed that actors know their scripts better than I know the Bible :(

• Members

People's minds work differently.
I had a friend that used a similar thing - in memorising the books of the Bible he had a series of funny sayings, the first letter of each word being the first letter of the books in order.

That doesn't work for me - I find it almost harder to memorise the saying than the verse.

I memorise best while pacing, but then on difficult passages I have to pace to remember.......
:D

For me, the movement helps, for him the silly sayings.

• Members

That seems a bit of an overload because you have to memorize a lengthy acronym just to memorize the verse LOL :)

If you have difficulty with a verse like that, try breaking it down into sections...

Your advice is good, thanks. Remembering an acromym came easy to me and has helped me with verses that were "stubborn" but it wasn't my overall approach. Acronymns would help keep me from swapping "the" for "a" or somethig similar or from dropping words or short phrases.

I've been known to do things the hard way at times...

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I have recently finished memorizing the entire New Testament. I plan on creating a documentary and small book on how to do it, tips and memory tricks (mnemonics) and will make it available here...

Have you made progress with your documentary or book?

I re-read this post with interest. I'm going to memorize the book of Romans with my son. He's on his 3rd time reading the Bible through in the past 2 years and I'm proud of him. I've never pressured him to read the Bible, he just does it.

Again, I memorized Colossians years ago and my approach was less systematic. I just basically used 3x5 cards with about 3 verses per day until I could quote them without mistakes. I didn’t need to repeat them as much as you’ve indicated to have them committed to memory. I only spent more time on verses where I found myself leaving out words or changing words accidentally using the technique I described previously.

I teach music and can relate to your 25, 20, 15, approach for memorization. However, I am interested how you arrived at the number 45 repetitions once you’ve got it down.

Any other tips and suggestions would be appreciated. Romans is 16 chapters so I know it's going to take some diligence. I'd be very interested in watching you quote the book of Romans on Youtube. Please consider doing that as it would be an encouragement to me and my family.

• Members

You wil stare at that reference when you get the verse down...

Also, I never did put an emphasis on memorizing the verse reference. Although I remember many of them, most I do not. Please comment in this regard.

• Members

I would love the pdf, and to see the video.

As to detractors, I would not worry about them. Just start each video with by boasting on God and His work on you. Speak of how the Word of God is a lamp unto our feet, and explain how memorizing is important.

Jesus told His Disciples that the Comforter would remind them of all things whatsoever He taught them

How can the Holy Spirit do the same in us if we are unwilling to study or memorize?

• Members

As a youth, I was always impressed with van Impe's ability to quote Scripture. He once said that he had memorized 87% of the KJV.

Sadly, he uses a perversion now. All that memorization and no longer uses the KJV.

I remember when Jack and Roxella started buttering up to the pope in the mid 90s. I wasn't aware that he's not KJV now. Very sad, I've met people saved under his ministry.

Archived