• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Speeds Internet Service Do You Have

JerryNumbers

• Members

I did my test through uswitch.com  After the test I put my postcode in and they show a map of your area with a bubble for each of their tests showing speed and provider.  The say that speed is maainly based on difference from the telephone exchange.  My supplier advertises maximum speed of 14 Mb.  It shows my distance from the exchange is 1087 metres.  My speed is 2.5Mb.  It shows a vast difference in speeds even by the same provider.  the slowest was one using Plusnet where upload speed was 0.2Mb  with a download speed of 0.9Mb.  Most points around the exchange give speeds of between 14Mb and 68Mb.  But one only 87 metres from the exchange gave only 0.4Mb (Supanet)

It seems that a number of things in your computer can also affect speed.  I use a fairly long relephone extension cable which can slow down my connection.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I did my test through uswitch.com  After the test I put my postcode in and they show a map of your area with a bubble for each of their tests showing speed and provider.  The say that speed is mainly based on distannce from the telephone exchange.  My supplier advertises maximum speed of 14 Mb.  It shows my distance from the exchange is 1087 metres.  My speed is 2.5Mb.  It shows a vast difference in speeds even by the same provider.  the slowest was one using Plusnet where upload speed was 0.2Mb  with a download speed of 0.9Mb.  Most points around the exchange give speeds of between 14Mb and 68Mb.  But one only 87 metres from the exchange gave only 0.4Mb (Supanet)

It seems that a number of things in your computer can also affect speed.  I use a fairly long relephone extension cable which can slow down my connection.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I am having my broaodband upgraded to cable tomorrow.  When I tested the speed a few days ago, my 3g smartphone gave twice the speed of my broadband and about 5 times the upload speed. 

• Members

The only "ping" I'm familiar with is generated by active sonar.

It's sort of the same principle. The "ping" is the amount of time data takes to go from your computer to the targeted host computer's address at the website you are visiting and the amount of time for the data from host computer to reach back to your computer's address. The terminology actually comes from sonar terminology because the idea is that of a sonar ping being sent out and bouncing off an object and returning back to you.

Also, many hackers use "ping" to hack into computers. They send out ramdon data packets out into cyber space and hope your computer's address will respond to the packet. Most "firewall" security will prevent this from happening and it's also a good reason to disconnect from the internet if you are not using it. 

• Members

OK I have my broadband upgraded to fibre cable.  The engineer tested it at 30mbs but said it would rise to 38mbs over the next 10 days.  Upload would be limited to 2mbs, half the speed of my cellphone. 

• Members

I just tested mine at Speedtest. I've got Verizon broadband 4G. But in my area we have only 3G & in order to stay connected I had to lock mine on 3G. With it locked on 4G it would disconnect every few minutes. I live out in rural America & we don't have that many choices.

Springfield, MO

Ping                           127 ms
Download speed       0.20 Mbps
Mbps Upload             0.43 Mbps

Texarkana, AR

ping                          239 MS
Download                0.12 Mbps
Upload                     0.36 Mbps

Little Rock, AR

ping                         154 ms
Download               0.12 Mbps
Upload                    0.39 Mbps

Tulsa, OK

ping                       103 ms
Download              0.22 Mbps
Upload                   0.45 Mbps

Here are my results from speedtest.net:

Springfield, MO

Ping                            133 ms
Download speed       46.47 Mbps
Upload                      33.98 Mbps

Texarkana, AR

Ping                           238 ms
Download                23.12 Mbps
Upload                      9.48 Mbps

Little Rock, AR

Ping                          153 ms
Download                56.05 Mbps
Upload                    18.16 Mbps

Tulsa, OK

Ping                         146 ms
Download               48.31 Mbps
Upload                   26.91 Mbps

We live in North Platte, Nebraska. A speed test a little closer to home:

Hays, KS

Ping                          151 ms
Download               57.49 Mbps
Upload                   31.79 Mbps

Our internet connection is rated at 50 Mbps up / 50 Mbps down.

We have unlimited home phone (local and long distance) plus our internet for $80.00 a month (plus taxes and fees, of course).

Bro Steve Smith

• Members

Here are my results from speedtest.net:

Springfield, MO

Ping                            133 ms
Download speed       46.47 Mbps
Upload                      33.98 Mbps

Texarkana, AR

Ping                           238 ms
Download                23.12 Mbps
Upload                      9.48 Mbps

Little Rock, AR

Ping                          153 ms
Download                56.05 Mbps
Upload                    18.16 Mbps

Tulsa, OK

Ping                         146 ms
Download               48.31 Mbps
Upload                   26.91 Mbps

We live in North Platte, Nebraska. A speed test a little closer to home:

Hays, KS

Ping                          151 ms
Download               57.49 Mbps
Upload                   31.79 Mbps

Our internet connection is rated at 50 Mbps up / 50 Mbps down.

We have unlimited home phone (local and long distance) plus our internet for $80.00 a month (plus taxes and fees, of course).

Bro Steve Smith

We have unlimited calls to UK numbers, most of Europe, Australia and NZ, US and Canada, up to 60 mins at a time, but you can hang up and redial as many times as you like.  Does not include cell phones, except for US and Canada.  We also get unlimited internet downloads, was 45 gb per month but they recently took off the restriction.  

The cost, including tax (VAT)  Calls and Broadband £15.50 per month,  Fibre cable upgrade £10 per month. (I missed out on their last offer which gave ½ price fibre for the life of my contract but the current offer is 6 months ½ price calls and fibre) plus line rental, usually £14.50 per month but I save £68 per year by paying annually in advance. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Back around the 1st of October we switched to Allo Communications which gives us 50 Mbps download and 50 Mbps upload. This morning I received an email from Allo stating that they increased our speed to 100 Mbps download and 100 Mbps upload. This increase in speed is good through all of 2014 and is Allo's Christmas gift to its customers (in other words there is no charge for the increase in speed). Thank you Lord and thank you Allo.

Bro. Steve Smith

brosmith@sonlightchristianradio.com

www.sonlightchristianradio.com

Archived