• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:27 PM, MountainChristian said:

MountainChristian,

re:  "rstrats, here is another thing to think about for the 72 hours Jesus was dead."

That's would be an issue for a different topic. Perhaps you could start one.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 9:58 AM, No Nicolaitans said:

re:  "If I understand correctly..."

I'm afraid that you don't.

Edited by rstrats

• Members

According to Genesis 1, evening was the beginning of the day. 

Genesis 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
Genesis 1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
Genesis 1:13  And the evening and the morning were the third day.

Genesis 1:19  And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

Genesis 1:23  And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

Genesis 1:31  And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

• Administrators

I think it amazing that this thread has gone on since 2013; four years to try to determine what three days means.  :4_6_2v:

I'm a simple minded guy and believe that the Bible was written so that even I can understand it. In that case why would I want to look for extra-Biblical sources for what God plainly says.

1. God has written me a love letter; would He write it in language that I can't or don't understand?

2. Was the Bible only written to the Jews so that people had to be Jews to understand their measurement of time?

I don't mean this in a contentious manner, but as I look through four years of posts and replies these thoughts come to mind.

• Members
On 8/19/2017 at 6:20 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

re:  "I think it amazing that this thread has gone on since 2013; four years to try to determine what three days means. "

That's an issue for a different topic.  For the purpose of this one, I'm simply looking for examples from the 1st century or before where a daytime or a night time was forecast to be involved with an event when no part of the day time or no part of the night time could occur. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Since it has again been awhile, someone new looking in who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, and who tries to get around Matthew 12:40 by saying that it is using common Jewish idiomatic/figure of speech/colloquial language may know of some writing as requested in the OP.

• Members

Many scriptures mention the third day as

1 Corinthians 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

It also says Three days and three nights in the earth  Remember that the body was put in the tomb as the Sabbath was approaching  (twilight")  72 hours later would be our Saturday evening at the same time.  The women went to the tomb towards the end of the Sabbath

We are also told he would rise after three days.  These periods must all be the same.  It is long past my bedtime so I will leave you to look up the references.

• Members
29 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Invicta,

Since you're not a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate you probably won't know of any examples.

Edited by rstrats

• Members
19 hours ago, rstrats said:

Invicta,

Since you're not a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate you probably won't know of any examples.

I don't need any examples I just need the bible. But you can give them if you wish.

• Members
2 hours ago, Invicta said:

Invicta,
re:  "I don't need any examples I just need the bible."
I realize that you don't need examples since you're not a believer in a 6th day of the week crucifixion.  

re:   "But you can give them if you wish."
I wish I could, but so far no one has provided any.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

But maybe someone new looking in will know of examples to support their belief that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language. 

Edited by rstrats

• 2 months later...
  • Members

With the new year upon us maybe a further wording of the OP will make it more clear:

1. The Messiah said that three nights would be involved with His time in the "heart of the earth".

2. There are some who believe that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who believe that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. However, those two beliefs allow for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the discrepancy, some of the above say that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language of the time, i.e., that it is was common to forecast or say that a day or a night would be involved with an event when no part of the day or no part of the night could occur.

6. In order for someone to legitimately say that it was common they would have to know of more that 1 example to make that assertion.

I am simply wondering if anyone knows of examples to support the idea of commonality?
Edited by rstrats

• Members

We do a similar thing today at times.

We might say "I spent 5 days at Niagra Falls", but we arrived there some time monday and left sometime friday.

Everyone knows what we mean.

As to the specific application.... it is oft repeated, but in my experience never supported.....

• Members
7 hours ago, DaveW said:

DaveW,
re:  "We do a similar thing today at times. We might say 'I spent 5 days at Niagra Falls', but we arrived there some time monday and left sometime friday. Everyone knows what we mean. "

I don't see any similarity.  In your example I assume that everyone would understand that at least a portion of each one of 5 calendar days would be involved.  
But would anyone understand that no part of a 5th calendar day would be spent at the Falls?

• Members

Almost five years and folks are still focusing on what people believe and think and not what the bible teaches.  A thorough study of the scriptures teaches that Christ died on a Wednesday and was in the tomb 3 full days and nights and emerged on Sunday.  The door to the tomb shut at exactly 6pm on Wednesday, making that Thursday and opened on Saturday at 6pm making that Sunday.