• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I keep seeing "God is a God of exactness".  Which I agree.  God created with precision and is clear and exact with all things.

However, God's word, which God gave us uses estimation and rounds to the nearest whole number in numerical descriptions, just as we do.

Idioms are used in scripture just as we use them every day, such as 'the sun rose this morning".  No it didn't.  We know what happened, but we use these idioms and figures of speach still.  We know that when the 'sun stood still', it was already 'still' in relation to the earth turning, but God supernaturally held it and the earth in the same positon until the battle was over.

God is exact, however, again, God's inspired word uses hebrew idioms and figures of speech.  He also used estimations.  Don't believe me, well then "Luke 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,"

So was he thirty, or 29 and 1/2.

BTW, I believe he died Thursday afternoon.

• Moderators

We know that when the 'sun stood still', it was already 'still' in relation to the earth turning, but God supernaturally held it and the earth in the same positon until the battle was over.

This just made me think more about that whole sun standing still bit. God not only would have had to hold the earth still in its rotation, but would have had to keep all the little systems that depend on the rotation of the earth still going too. Wow!! What an amazing God is our God!

• Members

The crucifixion took place on Wednesday at 9AM, but the next day was a Annual High Sabbath, so Jesus had to be removed from the cross and buried by sundown. The women had to wait until Friday to go shopping for the burial spices, and Saturday was a normal Sabbath.
Also, in Galilee, the Jews began the day at sunrise, but the Jews in Judea began the day at sunset (as per Genesis).
So, if you figure it all out in Jewish terms, everything "adds up".

• Members

This just made me think more about that whole sun standing still bit. God not only would have had to hold the earth still in its rotation, but would have had to keep all the little systems that depend on the rotation of the earth still going too. Wow!! What an amazing God is our God!

Its amazing the powers that God does have & I believe some people tries to limit His powers.

Which make me think of something, >so I will start a new topic trying not to high-jack this one.

• Members

Sorry OP, you still haven´t had your question answered. I would think that there probably is no literature available that would give you what you ask. All citations to the effect that a partial day is still as good as a whole day will come from the very sources that cite it as definitive. In other words, it´s a circle of citation. One writer states the claim as factual, and the next quotes the first author. There is no vetting. And then you have a construct of a fact based upon the writing of someone whose statement was never verified.

Try the Nexus Index.

God bless,

calvary

• Members

Calvary,

re: "All citations to the effect that a partial day is still as good as a whole day will come from the very sources that cite it as definitive."

So it's a good thing that that is not what I'm looking for.

re: "Try the Nexus Index."

I'm not familiar with that.

• Members

Calvary,

re: "All citations to the effect that a partial day is still as good as a whole day will come from the very sources that cite it as definitive."

So it's a good thing that that is not what I'm looking for.

re: "Try the Nexus Index."

I'm not familiar with that.

"Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a "discussion" with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows an example from the first century or before regarding a period of time that is said to consist of a specific number of days as well as a specific number of nights where the period of time absolutey doesn't/can't include at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights?"

As I said, you will not find any citation from anywhere. You asked for documentation, I merely stated that it most likely does not exist, and if it does, it would be not be vetted.  Perhaps you´ve forgotten what you asked for. Seems to me you are in fact looking for outside sourcing to the effect of a statement supporting the 6th day Crucifixion folks. Again, it most likely does not exist.

Try Nexus Index. Or can you google? Not rocket science.

God bless,

calvary

• Members

This is an email that I received that seems to have relevance to this topic.

Question: I understand that you believe that Jesus died on the cross on Thursday, not Good Friday. Why do you say that, and does it matter?

Response: Scripture reveals the answer. 

Scripture does reveal the answer and He tells us we can rightly divide the truth.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 

• Moderators

Jesus was crucified on the Jewish Day of Preparation, which is

Friday. He was resurrected on Sunday  morning. He could not have been in the grave three 24 hour days and nights.

Friday crucifixion does not allow for three days & three nights in the tomb, as Jonah typified. Whether they were full or partial days/nights, He would still have had to be crucified earlier. Also, there were extra holydays that week - it was not merely the Saturday Sabbath that the Jews were concerned about defiling. 

• Members

There was an Annual High Sabbath on Thursday of that year.  He was buried before sundown on Wednesday, without ointments and spices.  Friday, the ladies went shopping for the spices for the body.  Saturday was a normal Sabbath.  Sunday at daybreak the tomb was opened.