• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

I am not sure what point you are trying to make here, Jerry. What exactly are you accusing me of?

If you are writing about me, I would appreciate it if you name me rather than making it a general accusation by saying "Some people."

For what it's worth, I didn't read that as directed at you.......

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

From my calculations Jesus would have been crucified on a Wednesday, buried at the beginning of Thursday (around 6pm) and then rose on Sunday morning around 6am. He would have been in the heart of the earth for three full days and nights.

There were two Sabbaths that week. One before the Feast of Unleavened Bread ("high day"-John 19:31) and the one before the regular Sabbath. I think this confuses people when it mentions that Jesus was buried on the preparation day (i.e. day before the sabbath). So people come up with the crucifixion on a Friday.

Also, Paul said that Jesus rose again ON the third day. Not after three days. There are a few other instances in the gospels that says it would be on the third day.

The truth is there are some verses that say Christ rose on the third day and some that say he rose after three days.

Yes I believe it was exactly three days and three nights.  God is a God of exactness.  The body of Jesus  was put into he tomb as the Sabbath was beginning and rose as the (2nd) Sabbath was ending, 72 hours later. Matt, 28:1 ¶  In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Toward the end of the Sabbath was Saturday evening, just as the 1st day was beginning, Saturday evening.  We also read that after the Sabbath, the women bought spices and then rested, then after the (2nd) Sabbath, they brought them to the tomb.  Scripture is quite clear.

Luke 23:56  And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.
24:1 ¶  Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

62  Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
63  Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.

Edited by Invicta

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Alamantado,

re: "Obviously he can't be asking about that..."

Actually, I am.  I probably should have address the OP to those who are proponents of  a 6th day crucifixion.

• Members

I cannot possibly see how anyone can justify a 6th day crucifiction.

As to when, here are some clues, 

Within Three Days

Mr 14:58  We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.

In Three Days

Mt 26:61  And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.

Mt 27:40  And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.

Mr 15:29  And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,

Joh 2:19  Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

Joh 2:20  Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

Three Days and Three Nights

Mt 12:40  For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

After Three Days

Mt 27:63  Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.

Mr 8:31  And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

• Members

Alamantado,

re: "Obviously he can't be asking about that..."

Actually, I am.  I probably should have address the OP to those who are proponents of  a 6th day crucifixion.

I said that I could only intepret your question as a request for a source where the author defines a period of time as specific days and nights and where it's also known/established that the period of time in question can't include any of those days and nights. I then said I didn't see how that could be what you mean, as that doesn't make any sense. Therefore it must be me misinterpreting your enquiry.

Are you saying I actually understand you correctly?

• Members

Alimantado,

re: "I said that I could only intepret your question as a request for a source where the author defines a period of time as specific days and nights and where it's also known/established that the period of time in question can't include any of those days and nights."

Sorry; I overlooked the last part of your comment in your other post. I certainly don't mean that. I assumed that it would be understood that at least a part of each one of the calendar days would have to be included.

• Members

I have never heard of the 6 day people. This is new to me.

So far, everyone else has given what I think is the right answer: 3 day, 3 nights very early on  the first day of the week UP FROM THE GRAVE HE AROSE!

We can stop beating the dead horse now and put this one to rest too.

Dr. Roberson

• Members

Dr. Roberson,

re: "I have never heard of the 6 day people."

How is it possible that you have never heard of those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week when that is the position of the greater part of Christianity?

• Members

Dr. Roberson,

re: "I have never heard of the 6 day people."

How is it possible that you have never heard of those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week when that is the position of the greater part of Christianity?

The greater part of "Christianity" worships Mary too.

• Members

SongOfDegrees,

re: "The greater part of 'Christianity' worships Mary too."

I'm afraid I don't see the relevance of that comment with regard as to why you weren't aware that the greater part of Christianity thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Alimantado,

re: "Have you tried a more conventional lit review?"

I don't know what that is, but if it's expensive I can wait for an answer here at onlinebaptist.