• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

RSS Robot

Les Miserables Finds Support, Caution In Christian Community

It is one of my favourite novels of all time, and an exceptional piece of literature - but it is obviously on a catholic basis.

As such, it's value is entirely literary, and of no use in spiritual growth.

The musical is likewise as good an opera as there is, and like many operas there is content that is less than appropriate, and the catholic basis shows through.

I assume the movie is likewise.

It's a bad testimony that so many Christians today look to Hollywood for expressions of Christianity, though what they call such is either extremely contrived or the "symbolism" is awash in sinful trash. True enough, one might be able to find something positive within most movies but why wade into the garbage heap for it when there are so many better, clean sources of something positive?

Why watch a movie featuring immodestly dressed women, excusing that based upon the unbiblical concept that "it's not as bad as it could be"? Why watch a movie featuring the abuse of our Lord's name as if it's not that big of a deal since "there is a positive message somewhere in the movie", and ignoring how seriously the Lord takes the abuse of His name?

It seems for a long time now Christians are willing to go into great contortions and distortions in an effort to declare popular Hollywood movies are good for Christians by 'finding' what they claim to be "Christian themes", "Christian symbolism", a "positive message", or some "learning or growth experience". As time goes by, more and more movies are declared to be good for Christians with what seems to be the obvious aim of such declarations being the fact so many Christians want to keep a foot in the world, want to feed their flesh, want to be like their lost friends, want to be seen as cool and up on each new movie.

There are so many better things to occupy our time with, to spend our money upon, to think upon, to talk about than the ungodly films Hollywood produces.

We have become a visually stimulated society that has become almost solely reliant on being entertained and even educated in a visual form. There was a time that people would spend hours reading however now they are spending those hours watching TV. There will come a time that this will all go away and we will return back to how G_d intended that we learn. We have been brainwashed for years to turn away from living G_dly lives. It will return... I have faith it will.

We have become a visually stimulated society that has become almost solely reliant on being entertained and even educated in a visual form. There was a time that people would spend hours reading however now they are spending those hours watching TV. There will come a time that this will all go away and we will return back to how G_d intended that we learn. We have been brainwashed for years to turn away from living G_dly lives. It will return... I have faith it will.

That reminds me of when the electricity went out a few years ago and I put a chair under the tree and spent the day reading in the sunlight while most others were carrying on about there being nothing to do and how they needed their TV, they were missing their shows.

The cable is gone but through the Wii we have netflicks.  I've been watching some episodes of Adam-12 and my wife complains about the long scenes, she's used to the camera bouncing around and story changing every few seconds.  When that method of tv came out in the early 1990s I all but quit watching it but of course got used to it.  

Even with netflicks our family seems to be improving spiritually without the cable.

It's a bad testimony that so many Christians today look to Hollywood for expressions of Christianity, though what they call such is either extremely contrived or the "symbolism" is awash in sinful trash. True enough, one might be able to find something positive within most movies but why wade into the garbage heap for it when there are so many better, clean sources of something positive?

Why watch a movie featuring immodestly dressed women, excusing that based upon the unbiblical concept that "it's not as bad as it could be"? Why watch a movie featuring the abuse of our Lord's name as if it's not that big of a deal since "there is a positive message somewhere in the movie", and ignoring how seriously the Lord takes the abuse of His name?

It seems for a long time now Christians are willing to go into great contortions and distortions in an effort to declare popular Hollywood movies are good for Christians by 'finding' what they claim to be "Christian themes", "Christian symbolism", a "positive message", or some "learning or growth experience". As time goes by, more and more movies are declared to be good for Christians with what seems to be the obvious aim of such declarations being the fact so many Christians want to keep a foot in the world, want to feed their flesh, want to be like their lost friends, want to be seen as cool and up on each new movie.

There are so many better things to occupy our time with, to spend our money upon, to think upon, to talk about than the ungodly films Hollywood produces.

:goodpost::clapping::amen::clap::thumb: