• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Modern "gift" of tongues is demonic

Hi Fundiegirl02....there are actually "two schools of thought" on that one.

Hey...Kevin, did you gather the information I sent you on spiritual gifts? :smile

I don't remember. What did you send me? :frog

I have the "spiritual gifts" posted on this board somewhere...then, I sent you (I think in a PM)or it could be in another thread--- the test for spiritual gifts from the couple, I believe the last name was Yoder? My MIL has the tests from the non-denominational pregnancy crisis center where she volunteers. I took it. Many Christians don't know what their strengths and weaknesses are VIA "spiritual gifts." God gives us 7 of them. Don't you remember when we talked about you and the gift of teaching?

• Members

For one thing, most occasions of tongue speaking in the NT was just a matter of knowing another language in order to get the gospel out. Also at Pentecost, it said that every man HEARD in their own language. I believe its possible that God could have actually made their ears hear their own language, rather than the apostles actually speaking twenty different languages.

There are also commands NOT to speak in tongues in public without an interpreter. That's simply "Don't talk in another language in church unless you have an interpreter so everyone can hear and not just a select few."

Today, the modern tongues movement is jibberish and a "prayer language" which is actually not even the way it was used in the NT. In the NT it was solely to propagate the Gospel.

I remember talking about it and you sent me some links to a book' date=' I think, that I could buy but not a test I could take for free. I counted 9 gifts, though. :wink[/quote']

I will have to find the threads I guess. That can be extremely exhausting, and I don't know if the Administrators or the moderators would appreciate that. Know what I mean? :frog

• Members
For one thing, most occasions of tongue speaking in the NT was just a matter of knowing another language in order to get the gospel out. Also at Pentecost, it said that every man HEARD in their own language. I believe its possible that God could have actually made their ears hear their own language, rather than the apostles actually speaking twenty different languages.

There are also commands NOT to speak in tongues in public without an interpreter. That's simply "Don't talk in another language in church unless you have an interpreter so everyone can hear and not just a select few."

Today, the modern tongues movement is jibberish and a "prayer language" which is actually not even the way it was used in the NT. In the NT it was solely to propagate the Gospel.

:goodpost: (And so was your first post in this thread :thumb )

• Members

Yes...but, some "gentleness" is needed in this very sensitive area, John. :amen:

I don't think what Suzy posted was insensitive. Rather, it was to the point and truthful. While not citing specific verses, she aludes to the NT passages which deal with this subject and thus supports her conclusions.

It can come from the mind but I've heard testimonies of people who just say that words start coming out of their mouth uncontrollably...that's demonic.

That was what I was referring, too. No...it wasn't insensitive at all. We have had this conversation numerous times, though...and I know we have a couple people that still don't get the whole"demonic" thing. So...it can be rather scary (I think) for some; however, certain other members should get it by now. :wink