• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Shunned By Amish, Pastor Now Pointing Them To The Gospel

RSS Robot

• Moderators

I know an Independent Baptist pastor in Ks who was raised Old Order Amish, his brother got saved (and shunned), then he couldn't get away from what he found in the Bible and came to Christ (and was forced to leave).

side note -- SBC started the trend, many IFB followed of calling a full time pastor who also does other work "bivocational" and bring it up unnecessarily (like in this article) as if he was either:

A. An almost pastor.     or

B. A hero and almost martyr.

it's neither --- its called doing what you have to, no big deal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I watched a documentary on youtube not too long ago that was about a couple of Old Order Amish families who were considering leaving their church because they realized that the Bible required salvation to get to Heaven, not works. They were saying that the Amish are not allowed to read the English version but must read the German. However, many cannot read the German. So they are finding out the Truth from reading the English version. Here's the youtube video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtNXvE_rLoE

• Members
I watched a documentary on youtube not too long ago that was about a couple of Old Order Amish families who were considering leaving their church because they realized that the Bible required salvation to get to Heaven, not works. They were saying that the Amish are not allowed to read the English version but must read the German. However, many cannot read the German. So they are finding out the Truth from reading the English version. Here's the youtube video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtNXvE_rLoE

Thanks for posting that link.. I watched that Documentary this morning and really enjoyed it!

• Members
I know an Independent Baptist pastor in Ks who was raised Old Order Amish, his brother got saved (and shunned), then he couldn't get away from what he found in the Bible and came to Christ (and was forced to leave).

This is my Pastor, Albert Shrock. He also has a cousin who left the Amish and now is a missionary to the Amish.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I'm so heart touched to see people working towards this! My shunning and bann came after I read a KJV pamphlet and realized the truth of salvation. So many people assume Amish are saved or glorify the life because because it looks so different. But for all the wonderful things about Amish life the plain truth is that it's a system based on works for salvation and only the hope of heaven rather than Biblical security.

• Moderators

I know the Amish, or at least the ones I met when visiting Pennsylvania at a food stand, carefully steer the conversation away from things of faith, as I tried to speak about the Lord with them. Good whoopie pies, but sadly, even those who may be saved, seem willing to let everyone else rot and go to hell for the sake of a misguided idea of separation.

• Members

those who may be saved, seem willing to let everyone else rot and go to hell for the sake of a misguided idea of separation.

Oh yes! That's where my community is and there so much to lose when you're own about being saved as Amish. There the belief that you're either Amish, very strict Mennonite in general or your going straight to hell. The bishops have a very strong hold over life. If course you also risk losing your family like I did. It's so much harder, for me, to have kept quiet to. I couldn't take baptism knowing that I'm lying and not going to follow ordnung.

• Moderators

Oh yes! That's where my community is and there so much to lose when you're own about being saved as Amish. There the belief that you're either Amish, very strict Mennonite in general or your going straight to hell. The bishops have a very strong hold over life. If course you also risk losing your family like I did. It's so much harder, for me, to have kept quiet to. I couldn't take baptism knowing that I'm lying and not going to follow ordnung.

It is always such a hard stand to take, when one's community is also the center of one's religion, or vice-versa. I know the Japanese whose families are strict Buddhists have that OBstacle, as well as muslims. Few think of the Amish that way, but yes indeed, many of the orders of the Amish and Mennonites are just as bad, though fortunately they won't kill you for it, just put you forever out of their lives.

• Members

This is my Pastor, Albert Shrock. He also has a cousin who left the Amish and now is a missionary to the Amish.

There are many. Albert has many relatives who have left the Amish Religion.
There are many allover.

Jack Patterson has reached out to the Amish, helping their wayward kids, and many have been saved.

Paul and Mary COBlentz have been converted, and reach their own.

What many of us "English" don't know, is that the amish are losing the young adults and children to the decadent American lifestyle.
Drug addiction has invaded them, as well.

Where sin did abound....God is abounding to them now!

It is exciting seeing multitudes of them get saved, and it seems they are almost always Baptist when they do.

• Members

Agreed with some of the above statements. Drugs and drinking were getting very popular when I was a teen and barn parties with both were happening, the parents figuring it's just getting it out of the blood and all that. But many are pulled away from such. Others like me turned inward and studied the Bible for ourselves without the bishop's permission.

• Members

I have a seasonal campsite right outside Lancaster with Amish farmland all around me. About a month and a half ago we saw a couple Amish buggies show up and pitch a tent on a campsite for a couple nights. It was 3 guys and 3 girls in their late teens maybe early 20's. They weren't married because the guys didn't have beards. The campers next door to them complained because the Amish were up all night making a ruckus. Who knows what went on. I was pretty shocked by that. I always thought the Amish were very morally strict. We have an Amish friend, she's in her early 20's and she said that type of thing isn't uncommon. She said they are not that much different than the English (she was talking about worldly behavior).

• Members

Agreed with some of the above statements. Drugs and drinking were getting very popular when I was a teen and barn parties with both were happening, the parents figuring it's just getting it out of the blood and all that. But many are pulled away from such. Others like me turned inward and studied the Bible for ourselves without the bishop's permission.

Thank you for sharing with us about the Amish people ,and how you where saved and got out. I just read of the hardships and the hurt that you are going through with family and I will be praying that the Lord Jesus will comfort you with his wonderful peace in your heart.

Loving you with the love of Jesus our savior from my heart .

God bless 

Archived