• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Armed Security Guards in Church?

• Members
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/06/chu ... index.html

Armed guards keep watch over church services
Story Highlights
Churches nationwide turning to parishioners to join volunteer security teams

Many volunteers are retired and off-duty officers who carry concealed weapons

Congregants say the armed security presence provides peace of mind

Consultants encourage using armed guards who are trained in weapons handling

By Emanuella Grinberg
CNN

(CNN) -- Lori Davis remembers a time when the doors were always open at her church -- and not guarded.

Relatives mourn after a gunman opened fire at a church meeting in Brookfield, Wisconsin, in 2005.

"No one thought twice about their safety. I guess we took it for granted," said Davis.

But things have changed. In an era when terrorism threats and deadly shootings at schools and churches have made headlines, religious leaders are rethinking their security strategies. Last Saturday, a minister was fatally shot and another man wounded outside of a church in Kentucky where the men went to attend a funeral.

Such violence has houses of worship evolving from the days of walkie-talkies and video surveillance to armed guards, who keep a watchful eye over worship services and church.

"We live in a sinful world and people do crazy and irrational things," said Davis, a member of the Highview Baptist Church in Louisville, Kentucky.

Highview, like a number of other churches nationwide, has a volunteer security force consisting of at least one armed guard during any given worship service. See where some recent deadly church shootings occurred

• Members

The church I grew up in had guys who had hidden guns on them

The college I went to had their own security guards both at the college and the church .The pastor also had guards who watched over the house .
It does make you feel safer knowing they are their .
They did capture a guy who broke out of jail on our campus .

• Members

Unfortunately, in today's world this is becoming necessary. Whether we like it or not church shootings do happen and it is best to be prepared. I know of more than one individual in our church who carry concealed and that does not include the member who is a police officer.

• Members

Some argue we should rely upon the Lord for protection as Scripture says angels encamp round about His saints.

I've heard the story of one pastor, back in the early 70s I believe, who was approached by a man while he was preaching. This man had a pistol and spouted off ungodly things and demanded the preacher drop to his knees. The pastor refused and spoke out against this and the man fired the gun as the pastor stood there. Later, during the investigation, the police discovered that from a distance of just a few feet the man managed to shoot three bullets to the left and three to the right of the pastor. Could it be an angel stood between the two deflecting the bullets?

• Members

[quote="HappyChristian"]I think it's a good idea. The world is not getting better, Christianity is much hated and will become more so as the end draws nearer.[/quote]

I'm just having a hard time reconciling "turning the other cheek" with "hold it there sucka or I"m going to shoot."

• Administrators

[quote="trc123"][quote="HappyChristian"]I think it's a good idea. The world is not getting better, Christianity is much hated and will become more so as the end draws nearer.[/quote]

I'm just having a hard time reconciling "turning the other cheek" with "hold it there sucka or I"m going to shoot."[/quote]
:lol: Well, I don't think turning the other cheek means that we should just sit by and let someone vandalize and/or destroy what we have. Guards at churches would be guarding what the church members have worked for, so it is by virtue of that an extension of our homes.

• Members

[quote="HappyChristian"][quote="trc123"][quote="HappyChristian"]I think it's a good idea. The world is not getting better, Christianity is much hated and will become more so as the end draws nearer.[/quote]

I'm just having a hard time reconciling "turning the other cheek" with "hold it there sucka or I"m going to shoot."[/quote]
:lol: Well, I don't think turning the other cheek means that we should just sit by and let someone vandalize and/or destroy what we have. Guards at churches would be guarding what the church members have worked for, so it is by virtue of that an extension of our homes.[/quote]

Actually, here in CT one would never be justified in physically harming (includes use of armed force) a person for the sake of protecting property. The use of deadly force would only be justified to protect one's person or other persons.

• Members

[quote="trc123"][quote="HappyChristian"]I think it's a good idea. The world is not getting better, Christianity is much hated and will become more so as the end draws nearer.[/quote]

The Christian Pacifist question is one worth discussing, perhaps in a biblical issues thread.

As far as I can tell, taking care of a shooter in a public place where innocent people are gathered is more likely to fit the biblical model then is taking care of your home (following the logic that at home you are the only one in harm's way). Didn't you just buy a gun this weekend? I had to work through these issues when I bought my first firearms. There is definitely some biblical evidence promoting being a pacifist. I don't think it fits completely, but then again, I am biased. I am an American, and Americans have a long history of God and guns.

• Administrators

So, trc, do you really think Christians should just turn the other cheek if someone is bent on destroying church property? Would that be practicing good stewardship of what He's given us?

(not meaning this to sound snide, really! hope it doesn't come across that way - am just curious)

• Members
So, trc, do you really think Christians should just turn the other cheek if someone is bent on destroying church property? Would that be practicing good stewardship of what He's given us?

(not meaning this to sound snide, really! hope it doesn't come across that way - am just curious)

I think that if the person(s) were aggressive and threatening in their demeanor while they are destroying the property and that if you feel physically threatened for your life then you would be justified in defending your life or the life of others being threatened.

Absent that, I would call the police post haste.