• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

I, along with my family, grew up in the Church of Christ, where the NIV was prevalent. Shortly before I graduated High School, the new preacher was using The Message in his sermons. I got saved when I was 21, and have been using the KJV ever since. I have been witnessing to my family for a while now, and one of the topics that come up is Bible versions.

My mom explained it to me like this: My great-uncle Gordon, who knows Greek by the way, says that the modern versions are better for this reason. Would you rather have a doctor who has studied modern medicine and has had centuries of practice over a 17th century doctor operate on you, or would I rather have the 17th century doctor operate on me?

I didn't realize it at the time, but I do now. By adhering to that line of thinking, you are essentially saying that you do not believe the Bible is the Word of God. That very thought alone, that the Bible is the Word of God, should put enough fear into you to not even consider "updating" the language in it. Woe is the person who attempts to pervert the Holy Word of God! I would not want to be in their shoes come judgement day!

The blind will not see nor understand the thought, they will probably think you actually mean they need to chew on the KJ & likely to think your crazy.

That's ok Jerry, sometimes I think I'm crazy too!

It is an awesome thought though, and when we carry it a little further, we see that unbelief can come from the heart of believers also.  When we explain away certain scriptures because we don't accept the teaching they contain we do the same thing!  Scary thought.

Some of these new manuscripts that are being used were found buried in the sand.  This was done for a reason, they were inferior then, and still are now.  As far as the language goes, is man getting better and better, or worse and worse?  Let me explain the thought.  Man is making advancements in some technological areas etc but as far as Biblical Hebrew (which was lost at one time) and Biblical Greek, who knew the language better?  Those who are looking back over centuries or those who were the closest to when these languages were spoken?  

Certainly we see that apostasy had begun long before the finality of the New Testament, but which Christians were more Christ like, and more knowledgeable about what happened in Biblical times, the men who were there, or our esteemed theologians.  We know many "theologians" have alternate motives today.  The fact that people like Wescott and Hort are esteemed as Theologians should tell us something, and that is Matthew 7:15  Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.  My opinion.

Some of these new manuscripts that are being used were found buried in the sand.  This was done for a reason, they were inferior then, and still are now.  As far as the language goes, is man getting better and better, or worse and worse?  Let me explain the thought.  Man is making advancements in some technological areas etc but as far as Biblical Hebrew (which was lost at one time) and Biblical Greek, who knew the language better?  Those who are looking back over centuries or those who were the closest to when these languages were spoken?  

Certainly we see that apostasy had begun long before the finality of the New Testament, but which Christians were more Christ like, and more knowledgeable about what happened in Biblical times, the men who were there, or our esteemed theologians.  We know many "theologians" have alternate motives today.  The fact that people like Wescott and Hort are esteemed as Theologians should tell us something, and that is Matthew 7:15  Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.  My opinion.

Amen! As we say in our church, just because a manuscript is declared to be older, doesn't mean it's better. Much of what they claim to be older and more accurate manuscripts are actually those which were discarded and not used. Obviously there was a reason those manuscripts were cast aside and not used but most biblical "experts" today avoid that inconvenient fact in favor of fame and fortune.

What a blessing I had this morning while reading God's Word.

As every new beginning is fresh and exciting, I have found that morning, in the dawn of a new day, God's Word is always exhilarating to heart and mind.

And as many have already stated the blindness and ignorance of the bible correctors, I'll not do so. But as the fruit of the tree exemplifies the tree, look at the track record of the text and   truths kept to us in the A.V. Every word of God is Pure; How can the highly educated blasphemers against the revelation of God to man do so?  The blindness of their heart and mind the deafness of their ear and the choice of their will to not love the truth. 

God loves them still and so shall we!!

So if the Word is Christ and was before time (john 1:1)  and is exalted even above the name of God (Psa 138:2) (which to this day we do not even know) then here is a conundrum for you:

In order to get into heaven we must have faith like a child (Mat 18: 3), yet are later told to NOT be like children (Eph 4:14). We are told the Word is the truth and that He will sanctify us through this truth (John 17: 17) and that the Holy Spirit whom HE has sent will teach us all things (the truth) (John 14:26) yet we must test the spirits (1 John 4:1) and be as the beareans (Acts 17: 11) searching to see if what we are told is the truth. We are told that those who wrote the bible were ordained by God (Rom 1:1) and were inspired by His Spirit (2 Pet 1:20 - 21). That we must trust God and lean not on our own understanding (Prov 3:5) yet must "rightly divide" the Word of God (2 Tim 2:15) in order to be aproved by God!! And in the same chapter Paul says that God will give Timothy understanding in all things (vrs 8).

So if all the above is correct can we be blamed for our lack of understanding? For the divisions in doctrine that assails the Church? Even amongst us IFB's? To me it's starting to look more like we are dammed if we do and dammed if we don't.

How do we lean not on our own understanding yet test the spirits on our own understanding and "rightly divide" hoping that God will give us "understanding in all things" when these days this is clearly not the case? How do we trust in a Holy Spirit that gives mixed messages to different people who I beleive have a heart after God but when studying the word have come up with differing doctrines and "truths" to thier contemporaries?

Even here amongst us old die hards few can completely agree on any one point in God's Word except the fact that Jesus saves?

2tim--we all know that none of us can look upon another man's heart, and find true faith.   I know the Scriptures say that we shall know them by their works, but the fact is, we see very little of their "works" except through the church.  I am afraid that some whom we trust will prove to be untrustworthy, and yet we would swear they were exemplar Christians.

"Faith like a child" is simple believing without question because the Father told us so; You hit the nail on the head when you said:

"In order to get into heaven we must have faith like a child (Mat 18:
3), yet are later told to NOT be like children (Eph 4:14). We are told
the Word is the truth and that He will sanctify us through this truth
(John 17: 17) and that the Holy Spirit whom HE has sent will teach us
all things (the truth) (John 14:26) yet we must test the spirits (1 John
4:1) and be as the beareans (Acts 17: 11) searching to see if what we
are told is the truth. We are told that those who wrote the bible were
ordained by God (Rom 1:1) and were inspired by His Spirit (2 Pet 1:20 -
21). That we must trust God and lean not on our own understanding (Prov
3:5) yet must "rightly divide" the Word of God (2 Tim 2:15) in order to be aproved by God!! And in the same chapter Paul says that God will give Timothy understanding in all things (vrs 8)."

The key is the Holy Spirit.  We are to be as simple children concerning faith, but not act like children in works.  As for trying the Spirits, we all know that we can be deceived by the same mentioned above, those whom we admire as "true" Christians, and examples.  We fail to question their faults because we think so highly of them.  All those scriptures make perfectly good sens when applied right, and "rightly dividing the Word of truth".