Online Baptist
  • Welcome Guest

Tired of all the fighting that goes on in facebook groups? Are you ready for a community where you can talk about things of God and the Bible without getting branded a heretic? Well, we are glad you found us. Why don't you give us a try and see how friendly and different we are. - BroMatt

What do you think? Should Christian engage in worldly hobbies? For example: learning languages?

I have recently started taking French course, and I enjoy it a lot, but since I have a very weak conscience, something is bugging me all the time. It's just, is there anything wrong with learning French?

I don't think it is wrong at all, but I am not sure. I've talked to many people regarding this, and everyone said that is a very good thing that I learn French.

What are your opinions?

God created languages. There is nothing wrong with learning them. In fact, learning other languages is actually beneficial for the brain. The study of phonetics (not to be confused with phonics) and linguistics is fascinating. Children who learn at least one other language have an easier time learning others - and how handy that would be if they are called to the mission field.

As for hobbies, in general, I would have to say that one should seriously consider the cost of it, in time and money and attention, to ensure that it doesn't over take these things, which belng first to God. I play ukulele, and use it for the Lord at the church and among others, while also using it to try and make a little money, (working slowly on a CD.) It doesn't take anything away from my work for the Lord, though if I wasn't careful, it could.
On the other hand, I know a man who is into ham radio-he can spend hundreds of dollars at a time on equipment, while giving nothing in his church. He misses service to go to ham operator meetings, picnics and campting trips. This might be a hobby which is too much.

Hobbies in and of themselves aren't bad, I suspect, but again, they need to be assessed carefully in how much it interferes with what we should be doing for the Lord. We must redeem the time!

5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.Pro.3:5-7

You said: ..."something is bugging me all the time"...
have you prayed about it? Have you as v.6 says acknowledged him in all your ways, and that includes hobbies.
He will direct your path, perhaps he wants you to study a different language than french, ask him.
...and I will pray about this, with you too!

5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.Pro.3:5-7

You said: ..."something is bugging me all the time"...
have you prayed about it? Have you as v.6 says acknowledged him in all your ways, and that includes hobbies.
He will direct your path, perhaps he wants you to study a different language than french, ask him.
...and I will pray about this, with you too!

Well you know what's bugging me? Insecurity, uncertainty, not able to decide... But everyone I asked about this, they all said that I should learn it. My parents are supportive, they say I should go for it, they finance (and will) finance me for it, I have prayed to God about it, and it seems that all the doors are opened and there's nothing wrong with learning French. I am a pretty complicated person, and I always doubt stuff, and am always having a hard time making decisions. Edited by AnaBaptist

For some context - I like cars. I always wanted to "do up a car". I like four wheel driving - I have two.

To that end I used to buy car mags.
the car mags I would buy are not filled with photos that Christian man should be looking at.

It was something of a hobby with me to buy a certain car mag, and a certain 4x4 mag. Now there is nothing wrong with that (assuming the content is OK).
But I realised that the car mags were taking way to much of my time and mind.
I would get a new car mag, and everything else would go on hold.
I would rather read the car mag than the Word of God.

That's when the warning bells really started ringing - I stopped it - for a few years I would not buy one at all.
Now, I will buy one every now and then, but there are some I have had for a few months that I have not read every article in.

They don't control me.

The point is, there are many things that are not of themselves wrong, but when they begin to take precedence in your life over the things of the Lord, they are wrong.

The Lord could really use your skill in French, so I would continue and be open to the Lord's leading you into opportunities.

But be mindful and consider your heart in it.

Be mindful also that the devil is a liar and an accuser , and he will often use false guilt to stop people from serving the Lord.

Remember, whatsoever ye do....... do all to the glory of God.

I used to hunt and fish but haven't in the past few years. I practice guitar most every day, if only for a few minutes, and play my 5-string banjo at jam sessions. My family and I have traveled the roads across NW florida and southern AL playing bluegrass gospel music mostly in churches, but also quite a few restaurants, a few benefits and a few bluegrass festivals. I'm also into building robotic tools and, lately, I've been building a timing belt and stepper motor driven CNC hotwire foam cutting machine. The next project, Lord willing, will be a stepper and ballscrew driven CNC mill and after that a high speed servo and rack driven router. I would also like to build a little reprap machine if I get time. Although I enjoy building stuff, I am self employed and will be using the CNC machines in my business along with my CNC router and CNC plotter/cutter. I guess one might say my job is my 'hobby' but it pays the bills and puts food on the table.

I collect American Indian artifacts (arrowheads and spear points) from plowed fields in the springtime. Nothing like being out there in the fresh air and just walking along in God's creation...aaaahhhhh!!! I suppose if I ever found pottery I would collect it too but, those plows are tough on the pots. I did find several old dimes once while hunting arrowheads. Something always turns up to interest me walking through the dirt.

I collect American Indian artifacts (arrowheads and spear points) from plowed fields in the springtime. Nothing like being out there in the fresh air and just walking along in God's creation...aaaahhhhh!!! I suppose if I ever found pottery I would collect it too but, those plows are tough on the pots. I did find several old dimes once while hunting arrowheads. Something always turns up to interest me walking through the dirt.

I used to do that as a kid. I was so into it that even planned to become an archaeologist, but only got as far as anthropology and archaeology 101 in college. All my folks kept questioning whether I could make a living at it and I gave it up. Anyway, I have about 200 projectile points, some hand axes and knives. Over a dozen of mine are bolen beveled points, all of them made by right-handed persons. if you ever find a bolen beveled point which spirals the opposite way, most likely the person who made it was left handed. I also have many pieces of pottery with various stamped and incised decorations but no whole pots. A few of mine were decorated with neat rows of fingernail impressions.

I used to do that as a kid. I was so into it that even planned to become an archaeologist, but only got as far as anthropology and archaeology 101 in college. All my folks kept questioning whether I could make a living at it and I gave it up. Anyway, I have about 200 projectile points, some hand axes and knives. Over a dozen of mine are bolen beveled points, all of them made by right-handed persons. if you ever find a bolen beveled point which spirals the opposite way, most likely the person who made it was left handed. I also have many pieces of pottery with various stamped and incised decorations but no whole pots. A few of mine were decorated with neat rows of fingernail impressions.

Yep I knew about the left handed twist. Most of what I have are arrowheads and a few spear points. I do have a tiny (pink) bird or fish point. I'll probably give it to my grand daughter one day.

Have you ever made one using a deer antler or deer leg bone? I tried it but couldn't come close to duplicating the skill of even the worst Indian artisan.

I've used pressure knapping, but don't remember if I used antler. I made one point which turned out pretty good and gave it to a buddy of mine in, upstate NY, who makes 'self bows'. Maybe he will kill a deer with it some time.But like you said; the point I made wasn't near as nice as one a real master flintnapper would make. Wouldn't it be cool if you go back in time and watch the persons making the artifacts?

Like DaveW said, it comes down to where this hobby ranks on your priority list.  Though the hobbies aren't, in and of themselves wrong, they become so if they are ever elevated above God and His will/work.  This doesn't include just going to church, reading your bible, or tithing.  It also includes your God-directed responsibilities for things such as being the right kind of parent, child, employee, etc.  If it detracts from your relationship with God, then it needs to be throttled back or done away with.

I'm an avid carpenter in my spare time (what little there is).  I could easily spend hours and hours out in the shop and have made some good money selling some of my projects.  Carptentry is good and worthy craft/trade and can be used in service of the Lord for a great many things. However, it can't take precedence over my other responsibilities because it is a hobby, not a livelihood.  That, I think, is the key part of the definition.  A hobby is something you do in your spare time which is what's leftover after responsibilities to God, family, and work are completed.

All of that being said, I don't at all see a problem with learning another language (in fact I'd love to do so myself!).  As many people have pointed out, it can be used for the Lord in so many ways.  Whatever you do, do it to the glory of God and give Him the praise for it.  What a blessing to enjoy it at the same time!

Are you serious? (shaking head in disbelief that this thread even got as many replies as it did...)

Why? Some people can manage a hobby well while others become consumed by them. There are also those who choose a worthwhile hobby while others choose something that's either a waste of time or sinful.