• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Adamski

How Do We Know What Books Belong In The Bible

I don't mean to muddy the waters, but regardless of suppositions about Adamski and his motives, it seems a legitimate question has been asked that would prove of value to other visitors to this forum. That is, as I understand the question, the 1611 KJV had 73 books; however, the KJV we adhere to today has 66 books, so why do we not accept the other books?

I understand the argument that those other books are acknowledged by the Catholic church. However, the Catholic church also acknowledges the rest of the books of the Bible. So, why do we not accept the others?

It seems a fair question. I have no personal interest in promoting them, as I don't use them, either, and I'm certainly not Catholic. But I would like to read the thoughts of others here as to why they are not accepted.

Thanks, All.

Edited by NotAshamed

The Apocrypha were included, but separately, between the testaments, and the translators noted that they were not a part of the inspired Scriptures.
Part of the reason for this is that the Jews did not recognise them as Scripture.
Also neither Jesus nor his disciples ever quoted them as Scripture.
Josephus, Philo and others were aware of their existence but never referred to them as scripture.

The Apocrypha was never considered scripture until the council of Trent, when four or five of them were included. This was 1546 - and not including fundamental and separatist Christians.

For the record, the Old Testament is settled as those accepted by the Jews as Scripture. I don't think anyone disputes their inclusion.
There are several tests applied to the NT books, among them is historical accuracy, which some of the apocryphal books don't meet.

Edited by DaveW

Come up with proof that once saved always saved existed before 300ad I can't .......

But I can with the Eucharist and infant baptism
Dideche, polycarp,,,,,apostles creed

Hmmm once saved always saved spoken of before 300AD?
That's a hard one really.
I wonder if you have done a word study on the words "eternal life" or maybe "everlasting life" to see what they mean.
Explore the Greek definitions and meanings along with the context, and I think you might be really surprised to see what light that sheds on the issue of "once saved always saved".

Oh, and if I am not mistaken Jesus used those words a little before 300AD.

Adamski is just one of pipa (4th column) papa or pope here to generate arguments and bring about confusion. He admits that he is not the innocent lay person seeking information. He's preaching Catholicism.

Our KJV is the Bible and as such; the Word of Gods and the words of God. There is no error nor contradiction - period.

Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me. 26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30 I and my Father are one.
John 10:25-30 (KJV)

Children of Hell have no place for dialogue. Present the plan of salvation else shake the dust off your feet before you get in trouble by not obeying God's word.

Furthermore; do you know one person alive today that knows Konine Greek ---- no!

Edited by SamuelP

Again you can't prove a book from a book that is not logical and would not hold up in a court of law or any scientific project

Who do we do how many books below in the bible

The only sources I can find is that the catholic church decided

Note again 1611 KJV has. 73 books not 66!!!

The books of the Bible were well accepted by the Christian churches prior to them being all put together.

The Bible is the Word of God, brought into being by His Spirit so God is more than able to testify of Himself and the books of the Bible within His Book.

Note again, the 1611 KJB makes it clear only 66 books are Holy Ghost breathed Scripture. The Apocryphal books were placed within only as historical reference. The reason those books were eventually removed from the KJB was because of folks getting the wrong idea and thinking since they were placed with the actual Word of God, those books were Scripture too, when they are not.

Your attempt to find truth by searching through the writings and beliefs of the false church, the RCC, can only bear rotten fruit.

The RCC is the most apostate organisation on earth and always has been. It has murdered millions of saints throughout the centuries. It has placed its popes at the head of the church instead of Christ. Whereas Christ commanded his servants to go into the highways to force the poor to come to his feast, the papacy sought them out to deliver them to his bonfires. (bon, French for good. The good fires the destroyed what the RCC calls heretics, but what Christ calls "My Witnesses.)

Again you can't prove a book from a book that is not logical and would not hold up in a court of law or any scientific project

You keep saying this and you keep being wrong.

The witness is a credible witness.
In all things that can be independently verified the Bible is proven true, therefore it makes perfect sense to accept those things which can not be tested are Most Likely true also - the reliability of the witness has been established, unless reliable evidence to the contrary is submitted, the evidence of the witness is acceptable.

In fact, when talking matters of Christian faith, where what we know about God comes from 2 sources only (what we can see in the natural world, and, what God has written in His inspired Word through Holy men of God), then any doctrine taught by men MUST by necessity be found in the Word of God - there is no natural source for spiritual information.

What men in history have taught about God can be known to be true or false not by the esteem in which those men are held, but whether or not they agree with the Word of God.

Even the Apostle Paul thought that:
Gal 1:
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

He is saying here - if anyone comes and preached anything different these people are not to accept them. How are they to know? By comparing what is said to what was said by Paul and the other Apostles.

Then see Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

This is again talking about Paul and his preaching - and note that these were more noble because they tested what Paul preached by comparing it to Scripture.

Looking at what the witness says about himself is almost always a huge part of any court case. "how do you plead?"

Well the Bible.claims to be truth from God, and since it is a reliable witness in all that can be tested, the assumption is that it is truthful in that which can not be directly tested.

When Jesus was assumed into heaven he didn't though down a bible and say don't forget to read the book I wrote
Jesus never commanded anyone to write a book or wrote anything
Jesus never said this is the table of contents

No we're in the bible does it say that everything we need to know is in the bible it actually says

1 Tim 3:15
"the church is the pillar and foundation of the truth"

Faith alone isn't In the bible either
James 2:24
"faith without works is dead

Again I'm not catholic
But have researched every world religion using logic and reason

And have concluded a number of things

Jesus was a real historal person
Jesus founded one church and it was the roman catholic church
That church put 73 books in the bible

"Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith." 2 Timothy 3:7-8

Adamski has 2 degree from a secular college and spends time with the Popery. The Lord describes him perfectly with the above verses, maybe even verse 6 but I don't know him that well. He's lost and in need of the Savior. All discussions outside of his sin and need for salvation will come to naught because he is spiritually blind and cannot see. Please pray for Adamski to make repentance towards God and put his trust in Jesus Christ.

Jesus affirmed the Old Testament books as being Scripture. Peter comments upon the writings of Paul being Scripture. The 66 books we know to be Scripure today, were accepted as such by the early Christians as well.

The other so-called "gospels" and writtings some want to claim have some divine origin were rejected then as they should be now because they don't stand the test of accuracy, consistency, or even of having been accepted by the Apostles or the early Christians.

The Bible is of divine origin and can't be deciphered or fathomed by human reasoning. Only through the guidance of the indwelling Holy Spirit can one have the Word opened to them.

You keep saying you are not a catholic but continually support them on a site which clearly does not.
It would seem to me that you are not here to learn, but rather to dispute.
We can present facts to you, but you simply reject them.
We can show Bible passages, but you twist or ignore them.

I think you would be happier in another place.

I implore you to read the passages that have been pointed out to you, especially those from Romans.
I further implore you to seek truth only from the Word of God and not from any man who comments on the Word of God.

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Beloved; once upon a time we were without Christ Jesus ourselves. We were in a horrid state. We must now follow Jesus and scripture. When the heathen have the gospel delivered to them and they reject it; shake the dust off your feet and move on. What concord hath Christ with Belial - NONE.

For us to be self righteous and follow our own vain philosophy and say, oh, I must continue to strive with them and show love. That is not the instruction given us by God Almighty. It is not up to us to judge it harsh - fear God and tremble before His presence and seek His will on a matter.

When folks reject Jesus - they have rejected him and you cannot save them. If God turns them over to a reprobate mind - have no fellowship with them or anything to do with them.

Lastly on the subject: I've spoken harshly and feel bad over it, but, I've done it without judging any of the brethren. I was saved in an Independent Baptist church. I have brethren I love in a variety of Baptist churches.

We like to look at ourselves (I speak as one living in USA - raised in E. TN - no laughter, please), as being some of the most faithful Christians and most IFB look at themselves as probably the closet Bible believing Christians on the planet; probably to the point we are smug about it -- did I hear a few Amens? ;-D

In our modern day we have had liberals point their fingers and say; you can't judge, you're not supposed to judge - you're worse than me if you judge and a bigger sinner ----- we've all heard it all. We get weary in the battle and let down our armour for a rest and some creep in unawares. We must be diligent in all things and be weary of the devil and his devices. I'm as bad as anybody and above none of you. I must keep myself in daily communion and prayer with my Lord and continually study the scripture. I've never found anyone that knows it all. By this you know: The Christian has love for the brethren. We may have disagreements but we also must come together and reason together the deep things of God.

At no time should one of Lucifer's children come in and dictate and point a finger with a railing accusation at one of God's own. We may have to face some unpleasant things but we must follow instruction from God and do His bidding. It isn't pleasant to rebuke someone out of step with the gospel in our church, but we better follow God's instruction book rather than our own thinking. God has it right and we must not twist a word to suit ourselves.

It is my opinion this guy Adamski was let to go beyond limits. And he took advantage of a weathered door by shoving a note in every crack. OK; God bless and good evening. Please forgive me where it is due. If you think me wrong; let me know. Maybe I can learn and improve.

I came here to look for historical evedence of your views and you have none

The catholic church which I am not a member can back up everything they do with historical facts

Catholic.com

Who cares? So it's a fact in the RCC that Pope's feet are to be kissed. It's not scripture, so who cares?

See, you're caught up in denominations, which are evil btw, we're concerned with Scripture and salvation, like yours.

Once saved always saved isn't in the bible
Sola scriptora isn't in the bible
Sola fieda isn't in the bible

In Matt 16:18 Jesus said on Cephas I build my church

No where did Jesus say make sure you read the bible or you won't be saved
Because the catholic church wrote the bible