• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Annie

Christians And Mythology

I don't consider it liberty Ma'am, it's error, against the scriptures, something to separate from and avoid. After reading this and other posts in the past, I wonder what kind of gospel they subscribe to?

Right.

1Co 8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

Ga 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

To much of what Mr. Lewis writes does not match-up with the Bible, so liberty does not work. Mr. Cloud laid it all out very clearly.

I suspect anyone that would not heed Mr. Cloud on this with all the evidence he has given, will follow what they have predetermined is right, & ignore all warnings.

Wow, the number of public school students that gets led to read ungodly books written by Mr. Lewis is great. But sad too. For his books dip into ungodly things that should never be put into the mind of highly impressionable young people. Of course older people should leave it alone to, for it might lead them to un-scriptural beliefs as well.

James, all we can do is warn, be assured, many will never heed the warnings. I'm out of this, this time I'm turning off the notifications to this topic so that I don't know another post has been made & be tempted to made another post.

I understand that when the Muslims burnt the Alexandrian library, their attitude was:
Do the books agree with the Quran?
If yes, they are not needed;
if no, they are in error & should be destroyed.

We could take the same attitude with David Cloud. Much of what he writes is opinion rather than true to Scripture.

Regarding C.S. Lewis, he is very readable & writes with insight. His "Screwtape Letters" is a brilliant expose of the devices of Satan. His children's books may be "magical" but are not likely to lead children into occult practices.

Should we allow Cloud's assertions concerning his private life discredit his spiritual insights? Are ad hominen arguments overriding?

Lewis lived at a time when supposedly England was a Christian country - Billy Graham coming to evangelise us was deemed unnecessary - we were Christian already. There was little clear Gospel teaching. The FIEC come into being as a despised undenominational denomination in the 1920s. Spurgeon was remembered as a great preacher but not for what he preached.

Lewis wrote from within a confused establishment. Read him with discernment.

Covenanter, Brother Cloud is but one person sounding a warning. We have pointed out his heretical beliefs, even that he requested and was given last rights from the Popery before going to hell.

One can follow the Lord and separate from this unrepentant sinner's error or feed their flesh and read it.

. Spurgeon was remembered as a great preacher but not for what he preached.

Lewis wrote from within a confused establishment. Read him with discernment.

I think we should read Cloud with the same attitude - not that he is right because he is David Cloud, but each instance on how well it align with God's Word. (I accidentally deleted that part of the post, and it is too hard to get it back on my phone......)
In Mr Lewis' case I think his words about salvation are enough to make a decision, but he does have good insight into some issues.
My attitude to any commentator is to find out where they are coming from, and then decide if their error is enough to taint all they teach, then, if it is worth it, and if their place is clear, read with their bias in mind.
But as I mentioned elsewhere, I read very little in the way of commentary.

Now to the quote.....

Interesting that you say Spurgeon was remembered as a preacher, but not for what he preached. What exactly do you mean by that? If you mean by the general populace, then I probably agree - although outside baptist circles I don't think I've actually met anyone who knows of him at all.
Those who do know him, in my experience, know him for his preaching content, not style. Edited by DaveW

Mrs Annie, if I walked into your church and asked someone "how do I get to heaven?", what would you tell me?

I would say that you can be saved only by grace and faith in the substitutionary death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, God's only begotten Son, alone. Lewis would say the same thing, btw. People love to take quotations out of context to "prove" their biased presuppositions. If you truly took the time to read Lewis himself (instead of relying on others' skewed "research"), then you would realize that. Edited by Annie

I would say that you can be saved only by grace and faith in the substitutionary death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, God's only begotten Son, alone. Lewis would say the same thing, btw. People love to take quotations out of context to "prove" their biased presuppositions. If you truly took the time to read Lewis himself (instead of relying on others' skewed "research"), then you would realize that.

Followers of the Popery say the same thing Ma'am. Their meaning is different from the Gospel because they add works. C.S. Lewis added works to salvation. Lewis believed in purgatory too. On his deathbed he called for the Popery to administer last rites. How does that aquare with your beliefs? How does that make him a Christian? You've not answered my other questions, answer these or go over them with your husband please. Edited by swathdiver

Followers of the Popery say the same thing Ma'am. Their meaning is different from the Gospel because they add works. C.S. Lewis added works to salvation. Lewis believed in purgatory too. On his deathbed he called for the Popery to administer last rites. How does that aquare with your beliefs? How does that make him a Christian? You've not answered my other questions, answer these or go over them with your husband please.

I am not interested in discussing this topic with anyone who has never read in context what C.S. Lewis himself had to say about salvation, mythology, and Christianity in general.
Apparently you chose to ignore my use of the words "only" and "alone." You are so blinded by your uninformed presuppositions...I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you try to twist my words like that. You do the same with the little tidbits about Lewis. Are you really so desperate to make a point that you stoop to willful blindness? You are telling me a lot about how seriously I should take your comments on this subject.

Apparently you chose to ignore my use of the words "only" and "alone."

No Ma'am, I didn't ignore them at all. Just saying that the Popery would be in complete agreement with you while meaning something very different.

You are so blinded by your uninformed presuppositions...I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you try to twist my words like that. You do the same with the little tidbits about Lewis. Are you really so desperate to make a point that you stoop to willful blindness? You are telling me a lot about how seriously I should take your comments on this subject.

Willful blindness over C.S. Lewis??? Ma'am I will not discuss this further with you as there is no longer mutual respect being shown. I do pray though that you let your husband know what you're reading and share with him the warnings we've given you. He'll know what to do.